WWN Video Game Deal Topic

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Re: WWN Video Game Deal Topic

Postby Bonesy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:34 pm

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Postby monkymeet » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:37 pm

steamsale stuff

so far i grabbed:

Papers, Please
Rogue Legacy
Super Hexagon

being limited by OSX prevented me from getting Antichamber, which looks AMAZING. Alas...
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Shift Breaker

Postby Shift Breaker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:11 am

http://www.gog.com/promo/fallout_series ... promo_2013

guys

guys

Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for free for the next two days. I've already got FO1 for free from GOG before, but this whole pack is great. Site's a bit crazy at the moment though, might take some time to work.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Postby thefalman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:20 am

Hurray, more stuff to add to the backlog of stuff I'll probably never get round to playing!

(Cheers for the heads-up though, in all seriousness.)
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Shift Breaker

Postby Shift Breaker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:30 am

Oh, don't worry, I don't even have a PC at the moment, just my Mum's laptop which I may occasionally use but not for gaming. I'm just getting them because they're free.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Bonesy

Postby Bonesy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:59 am

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:10 am

Anyone who has a 3DS - Legend of Zelda: Four Swords is free on the eShop for the next four days.

Edit: Looks like it's the North America eShop only.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

onewaystreet

Postby onewaystreet » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am

Whoa. Guess I should pick it up, obligations etc.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.

thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o

I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

McTool

Postby McTool » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 am

Yeah I'm getting on that as soon as I leave work today
Make good choices

McTool

Postby McTool » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:43 am

HEY LOOK EVERYONE OUR FAVORITE FRANCHISE IS ON SALE

I mean Civ, of course

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay more than the average for Civ V and Gods & Kings, more than $15 for Brave New World. Have at it!
Make good choices

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Postby thefalman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:22 am

Hmm, I bought the Civ V/G&K bundle in the last steam sale, so I'd basically be dropping $15 (a little under £10) on Brave New World and the ability to actually play Civ 4 on my Mac without dual-booting (useful, considering I haven't actually got Windows on here at the moment). Still not a bad deal but I've got so much other crumpets just sitting in my Steam library... I'll have to think about it.

It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy

Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:46 am

I'm actually starting to clear up my steam library. I've beaten an awful lot of games that I have sitting around, and others I've realized I simply don't like them (so they get put in my "bad games" category, preferably so I'll forget they existed), and while I still have an awful lot of games to play I'm *almost* to the point where I can start buying games again, if they are cheap.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Bonesy

Postby Bonesy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 pm

i want that humble indie bundle 11 so bad

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:00 pm

yeah between guacamelee, dust, and giana sisters i caved and bought the bundle

first one i've bought in a long, long time.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Bonesy

Postby Bonesy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 am

Hexagon

Postby Hexagon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:36 am

Pkdragon wrote:yeah between guacamelee, dust, and giana sisters i caved and bought the bundle

Funny, the games I was interested in are exactly the ones you didn't mention, except for maybe Guacamelee, which looks pretty cool.

Already own The Swapper and Antichamber (both excellent, if you're into puzzle games), picked up the bundle anyway for Monaco and soundtracks and to give the redundant codes to a friend who likes puzzle games. Curious to see what the games to come later on the bundle are.
Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:32 am

see, i already own monaco, and antichamber looks interesting but wasn't a package seller. soundtracks are nice to have but i probably won't listen to them.

Hexagon

Postby Hexagon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 am

FEZ, Starseed Pilgrim, and Beat Buddy added

Never heard of Beat Buddy, already own and fudge love FEZ and Starseed Pilgrim (although SP is super zen and inscrutable, but that's part of the charm?)

monkymeet

Postby monkymeet » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:00 am

Antichamber is legit cool beans.

Hexagon

Postby Hexagon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:37 am

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/79398 ... ndon-boyer

Huge (and still increasing in size) bundle of games, proceeds go towards cancer treatment for Brandon Boyer (chairman of the IGF, creator of a pretty rad videogames website, overall cool dude), which he was denied by his insurance. Excess funds go towards cancer research. If you have $25 to throw at this, there's some good stuff in here (personal highlights include Actual Sunlight, Castles in the Sky, Electronic Super Joy soundtrack, McPixel, Proteus, Sokobond, Thomas Was Alone, VVVVVV, Waking Mars, World of Goo).

monkymeet

Postby monkymeet » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:55 am

Okay then, my first summer sale.. Any tips anyone? XD

Shift Breaker

Postby Shift Breaker » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:03 am

Try not to buy everything.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:05 am

^
Nuff said
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:30 am

Dragonite wrote:Okay then, my first summer sale.. Any tips anyone? XD

-Don't buy anything unless it's actually on the main sale page, until the last day of the sale.
-Check back every 8 hours for maximum steam sales especially if you should be sleeping during those 8 hours.
-don't buy into the trading card system, just sell every card you have for minimal returns and use those minimal returns to get GAMES (eventually).
-33 % and lower is bad deal. -75% and above is good deal. Witcher 2 is on sale today for -80%, it is good deal. dayz is on sale for -15%, it is bad deal.
-research games before buying them; even a really great deal in theory might turn out to be a crappy game in execution and there's a couple of clunkers i REALLY wish i had looked into more before buying.
-add a certain amount of money to your steam wallet, don't go over that amount of money unless of course you are using the next strategy:
-give other people gifts and use peer pressure to get them to give you gifts of equal or greater quality =D
-remember, most games will go on sale during the NEXT sale, and will be even cheaper. using this strategy can allow you to avoid buying ANY games, ever!

or y'know, just use common sense and don't buy stuff you aren't going to play.

McTool

Postby McTool » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:14 am

buy a console

change your wallpaper to a picture of that console with a note that says "YOU SPENT <MONEY HERE> ON THIS PIECE OF crumpets, PLAY GAMES ON IT INSTEAD"

feel really ashamed, uninstall Steam and all games tied to it, and cry into a bowl of ice cream

problem solved
Make good choices

McTool

Postby McTool » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:22 am

Of course, to be honest/serious and distill pk's post into three basic rules

1. Don't buy it unless it's a daily deal or a flash sale. Exception made for a game that *you want and have wanted* that has fallen under $5 as a result of 80% or something similar.

2. Some people argue "buy everything you wanted that's left over on the last day" but that is dumb and don't do that, just wait until the next sale. Your backlog is big enough anyways.

2a. DLC is exempt from this rule for games with heavy DLC libraries. Absolutely buy every goddamn piece of DLC before it rockets back up to Stupid Amounts. I just realized that I'm going to spend a fortune on Rocksmith DLC. Dammit.

3. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. WWN is full of good people, we tend to throw things around like candy during Steam Sales. If a game you love is a flash sale, consider buying it for a friend. Don't expect something back - that is the crumpets way to view this, though it often happens - but do take solace in knowing you are a Good Person and maybe you have introduced someone to their new favorite franchise.
Make good choices

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:54 am

oh it's that time of the year again

if a game you desperately want is on a ridiculous sale, buy it, otherwise don't buy anything

you'll have enough stuff without ever spending ridiculous amounts of money, trust me
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:17 am

The other thing I'd suggest is, actually look outside of Steam.

GOG.com is having a ridiculous sale at the moment too (and they do have new games, a lot of the ones that are on steam sales) for similar prices but without the fuss of being locked to Steam if that's your thing.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 am

GOG is my favourite thing. They have a ton of DRM-free classics that let me bask in nostalgia (or let me manufacture anachronistic nostalgia for old games I never played), while curating a good selection of modern indie titles. Also, they're part of the same company that makes The Witcher.

monkymeet

Postby monkymeet » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Grabbed Witcher 2. I hear it's really good. Even if my laptop can't run it very well at the moment, it'll be nice to have it on the backlog...

I sold a bunch of those STEAM cards things. I know you can get more return if you put in the effort, but I managed to pull about 8 dollars from them, which is a few free games.

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:10 am

Most important rule: never buy anything that you do not want to play. It doesn't matter how heavy the discount is, if you spend two dollars on something you will never, ever enjoy, then you have just wasted two dollars.

Kiltman2

Postby Kiltman2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:35 am

Got Democracy 3 + DLC today on the streams. Was super keen to play, totally my sort of bag because I am a boring bastard who loves reading about economics and politics and crumpets.

Played legit for a while, realised the game punishes you for ideological thinking above everything and you tend towards pragmatism, which I thought was super cool and was enjoying it.

Then I realised the only way to keep everyone happy is to minimise spending and maximise expenditure. Which I did - completely got rid of all taxes and average expenditure of £4 trillion a year and currently have a debt to GDP ratio of like 16,000% and there isn't really any checks or balances against this. There is a "debt crisis" but most people are pretty happy.

I am thusly trying to sublimate my country into a police state, but yeah. Everyone seems well okay with no taxes and extortionate spending. Maybe something for the politicians to pay attention to? ARE YOU LISTENING DAVID CAMERON.

Still fun though.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:36 am

so basically it's a usa sim
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:02 am

I don't want to think of what would happen IRL with those policies..

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Mmmm.... Terraria for 2 euros may just have to get that.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:28 pm

I caved in for Skullgirls in the flash sale haha

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:41 am

monkymeet wrote:Grabbed Witcher 2. I hear it's really good. Even if my laptop can't run it very well at the moment, it'll be nice to have it on the backlog...

I sold a bunch of those STEAM cards things. I know you can get more return if you put in the effort, but I managed to pull about 8 dollars from them, which is a few free games.

i made 12.90 selling cards so far =)

you're right, in theory i could probably get more return if i put in the effort and bought cards off the steam market, but man, i just don't like the card system and would rather not support it. so i'm just trying to profit off it as much as possible without actually buying cards and giving steam money.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:01 am

Steam also makes money off of you selling them, you know.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 am

they make money off of other people buying them

it's a small but critical difference- it's not MY 2 cents per card that steam is getting, it's someone else's!

not that i have anything against giving steam money, i do it all the time. i like steam, but the steam trading cards have just always rubbed me the wrong way.

Return to “Dad, I dug another hole!”