What is WWN reading right now?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkers

Re: What is WWN reading right now?

Post by Linkers » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 am

Finished The Gods Themselves. Asimov never ceases to amaze me; the second third of the book might just be the best thing I've ever read.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 am

While comprised of even less words than my usual light reading, I wish to highlight The Exquisite Beast, which has completed its current tenure. It is interesting to see the back-and-forth design choices between two fairly different artists, their tendencies, and their compromises.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 am

I'm reading Spark, a good pop-sci book on the benefits of exercise. It reports a lot of neat, motivating research that encourages me to keep hitting the gym.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 am

I'm reading Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and The War Years by Carl Sandburg.
What can change the nature of a man?

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 am

For English at the moment, I'm reading Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs. It's a collect of articles by Female Journalists.

NovaCid9

Post by NovaCid9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Revisiting The Great Gatsby, to better dismiss the movie when it comes out. Actually appreciating it as a response to the post WWI roaring-20s era though, although the color imagery is a bit 'first year English Lit'. You mean the love interest is portrayed via unsullied and morally pure white? Surely NOT!

Got Team of Rivals lined up on the Kindle, to sate my love of both Lincoln (the flick) and documentaries.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:52 am

Finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. Ohhh boy.

I ended up enjoying the book, but only after I came to the conclusion it was a young adult novel pretending to be an adult novel. Not that there's anything wrong with YA fiction! Quite the opposite, once it settled into it's traditional, mostly kid friendly tale of adventure and discovery in a post-apocalyptic world, the story wasn't so bad. It's just that the first 25% of the novel was pretending to be something it wasn't, and doing so badly.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Okay so recently I've just finished a very rewarding re-read of Ursula Le Guin's Four Ways To Forgiveness - it remains as fascinating to me as it did when I first read it, which is pretty satisfying.

I'm currently stalled a quarter of the way through Iain M. Banks's Feersum Endjinn and powering through Robert Silverberg's Gilgamesh the King.

A roughly-recalled list of the year's books so far:

By Ursula Le Guin:
The Left Hand of Darkness
Four Ways To Forgiveness
Rocannon's World
Planet of Exile
City of Illusions

By Iain M. Banks:
Look To Windward
Excession
Inversions
The Hydrogen Sonata

By Alastair Reynolds:
House of Suns
Revelation Space

By other people:
Halting State - Charles Stross
The Science of Discworld 3: Darwin's Watch - Terry Pratchett, Jack Stewart, Ian Cohen
Glory Season - David Brin
Star Wars On Trial - ed. David Brin & Matthew Woodring Stover
The New Space Opera 2 - ed. Gardner Dozois & Jonathan Strahan
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
Neverness - David Zindell

I've also decided to do some catchup on books I really ought to have finished reading by now - the intent is to get these (or at least a majority of them) read by the end of the calendar year. Some of them I started and got tired of, others I never picked up for various reasons. No longer! This will be a house devoid of unread books!

IQ84 - Haruki Murakami (parts 1, 2, and 3 together add up to just shy of a thousand pages, so this will be a pretty big task)
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - David Mitchell
The Eye of the Heron - Ursula Le Guin
Lavinia - Ursula Le Guin
When The Great Days Come - Gardner Dozois
Whit - Iain Banks
The Crow Road - Iain Banks
The Quarry - Iain Banks
Focault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever - Stephen Donaldson
The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen - Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw

And as if that weren't enough, I also intend to go through every other Iain Banks work in my possession - my way of remembering the man. That amounts to:
Consider Phlebas
The Player of Games
Use of Weapons
The State of the Art
Against A Dark Background
Matter
Surface Detail
The Algebraist
Complicity
The Business
The Steep Approach To Garbadale

And finally, I'll probably be slowly making my way through Year's Best SF 16 (ed. Kathryn Cramer and David G. Hartwell) pursuant to writing critiques of each of the stories in it.

That's twenty-three books (two of them collections of three separate novels, so we could say it's twenty-seven actually) in the nineteen weeks remaining in the year. A challenge, to be sure!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I think I should just borrow a shelf of your library some time. That'd keep me busy for months.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 am

You'd be welcome to - it would encourage me to unpack some more!

(also I should totally track down where my copy of The Dispossessed vanished to, I miss that book)

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:43 am

My summer reading has mostly consisted of A Feast for Crows, but I also read The Long Hard Road Out of Hell (Marilyn Manson's book, can't recommend it, too strange and dark but then what did I expect?), and I started reading Gregg Allman's autobiography before my Kindle broke. Currently reading A Dance with Dragons but also just picked up White Line Fever, Lemmy's autobiography, and I might grab David Byrne's How Music Works since I've got some spare cash and a lot of travel left before I get home from Europe.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Been reading the second half of the Black Company books. I really liked Shadow Games and Dreams of Steel, I find the India based world to be much more interesting than normal haunts of fantasy, but Murgen's books have slowed my reading to a crawl. I actually don't mind them, they're enjoyable enough to read, but they don't hook me like the earlier books did and get me to read consistently. So instead I've moved over to Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, which was not at all what I expected but pretty good so far, It's really a book that I'll have to finish to really know how I feel about it.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:03 am

Right, only so I don't forget, I have read lately:

By Roberto Ampuero:
Our Olive Green Years
The Other Woman

And I have acquired around 8 new books so I'm gonna get cracking on them.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:03 pm

God dammit, DP. You got me addicted.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:22 am

The Man In The High Castle - Philip K. Dick

(hurr hurr hurr)
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:42 am

gradually reading all the discworlds

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:16 am

Solid choice sir. Which arc are you reading through?
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:17 pm

i'm just reading them in whatever order i feel like, I'm reading Mort right now

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:51 am

Finished She is the Darkness, meaning I'm finally done with the Murgen narrated books of the Black Company series. Thank god it's finally over. They were great books in their own twisted way, but extremely hard to get through due to the unfocused narrative and extremely bleak, soul destroying atmosphere. It's going to be nice to read something lighter.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Got the Machine of Death sequel This Is How You Die. Fun stuff! Read the Sherlock Holmes story (Apitoxin) immediately, I was looking forward to that one the most. I also read Shiv Sena Riot, Meat Eater, Made Into Delicious Cheeseburger, Zephyr. Zephyr was a enjoyable one, a nice military take on the concept. I'm looking forward to Your Choice (the CYOA story :o)
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:51 pm

Blazed through Chuck Palahniuk's Damned. Fun, light read, nothing too interesting though.

Now I am thoroughly engrossed in Bukowski's Women.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:02 am

Man, x0, I should totally pick that up. I just finished the original one.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:24 pm

I've recently finished The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain Banks.

It made me sad because that was his last book. :(
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Actually, that would be The Quarry, which I've just finished. A pretty good read, all told.

(I liked The Hydrogen Sonata as well, but it did kind of meander around a bit)

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:02 pm

A Midsummer Night's Dream
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:47 am

I am pondering whether it's worth it to invest in a kindle. But I like books. :(

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:17 am

As someone who bought a nook (which... wasn't the best choice, but my dad was pushing nook), there's nothing that says you have to stop buying physical copies of books. I routinely bounce back and forth between physical copies and ebooks, and while overall I do prefer reading real books, ebooks are a lot easier to handle (no need to make shelf room for them!) and easier to carry around.

Finished the Death Gate Cycle, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, which started out strong(ish) but ended lame. I'm not sure why I expected anything else from the Dragonlance authors, but Fire Sea was a really great volume and raised my expectations of the rest of the series.

I'm desperately playing catch- up, for my goal was to read 40 books this year and I've read...23. Don't think I'm going to make it. Still, the books I did read were good, I've been finishing up a lot of series that have been on my backlog for quite some time.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Finished Women. Very interesting read, so crass and yet strangely addicting. There's very little character evolution... and yet I couldn't stop reading about Chinaski's latest fudge. Recommended.

And now onto my favourite writer, Veríssimo! The spies is next.

By the by, does anyone know a site or app that allows me to add the books I've read and make a readlist, get suggestions and such? Something like IMDB or icheckmovies, but for books.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Reading Faust.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:52 am

Linkman wrote:Finished Women. Very interesting read, so crass and yet strangely addicting. There's very little character evolution... and yet I couldn't stop reading about Chinaski's latest fudge. Recommended.

And now onto my favourite writer, Veríssimo! The spies is next.

By the by, does anyone know a site or app that allows me to add the books I've read and make a readlist, get suggestions and such? Something like IMDB or icheckmovies, but for books.
Goodreads is the site I use.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:50 am

Just what I was looking for, many thanks.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:46 am

Allright, finished The Wise Man's Fear, book two of the Kvothe The Awesome At Everything series. WHY WOULD I DO THAT? well i didn't want to pay money for the book so i checked it out at the library while i had a chance, granted i didn't realize it was 900 pages long.

Holy crumpets it was bad. It was entertaining at times, because Rothfuss has this magical talent of making a completely dull story with nothing going for it rather entertaining to read, but even then, it was so damned boring that the attempts at humor and poetic language and crumpets didn't save from the book from being a slog

Highlight of the book was
Spoiler: show
modern day kvothe getting his ass kicked by two soldier bandits, and legit-like too! i was cheering. he needs to get legit beaten up more often
worst part of the book was
Spoiler: show
"how could you possibly be a virgin? you were soooooo good" - fairy sex goddess to kvothe after they had glorious fairy sex
i think i learned a lot about what not to do when writing a book

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:24 pm

I read the first story of This is How You die in a bookshop the other day (Old Age, Surrounded by Loved Ones) and damn near cried.

Dammit I want this book, stupid money situation :(

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:39 am

Ok, so I hit my goal of 30 books. Originally it was 40, but by around June it became clear that I wouldn't be reading that many books so I decided to merely keep up with last year's pace. Still, I read several rather large tomes, so I don't feel too bad.

and now i'm going to list them because lists are fun

The Black Company (Glen Cook)
Shadow Games
Dreams of Steel
Bleak Seasons
She is the Darkness
Water Sleeps
Soldiers Live

Death's Gate Cycle (Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman)
The Hand of Chaos
Into The Labyrinth
The Seventh Gate

Other Fantasy
Before They Are Hanged- Joe Abercrombie
The Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie
The Dragonbone Chair - Tad Williams (yawn)
Perdido Street Station- China Mieville
The Wise Man's Fear- Patrick Rothfuss
Night of Knives- Ian C. Esslemont

Gaunt's Ghosts (Dan Abnett)
First and Only
Ghostmaker
Necropolis

Post Apocalyptic
The Passage- Justin Cronin
The Twelve- Justin Cronin
Swan Song- Robert McCammon
The Postman- David Brin

Other
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo- Stieg Larsson
Childhood's End- Arthur C. Clark
Olympos - Dan Simmons
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Forever Odd- Dean Koontz
Imajica- Clive Barker

plus a couple nonfiction books

The highlight of the year was definitely the Black Company, followed by the First Law series by Joe Abercrombie which had one of the more brilliant endings I've ever read. Both have a vaguely deconstructive flavor to them, especially the First Law series. I highly recommend both series for fantasy fans, provided you don't mind darker fantasy that lacks true heroic characters.

Stay away from the Death Gate Cycle though. I don't even remember why I started reading them, but the three volumes I read this year were pretty disappointing. I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from pulp fantasy, even if it's written by the Dragonlance authors. I've already stated my opinions on The Passage and The Wise Man's Fear, the other major stinkers I read this year, and they still hold true.

Finally, I ended the year reading The Postman by David Brin, which is the first Brin book I've read in at least five years. It wasn't perfect, but one thing stuck out- having read three postapocalyptic tomes that relied on spiritualism and messiah figures to carry their plot, it was nice to read a postapocalyptic book that took a more mundane approach to messiahs and mostly avoided spiritualism in general. Even with all the sci fi and political philosophy in the second half of the book, it felt very grounded in reality compared to others in the genre. Also loved that I caught a blatant Swan Song reference in The Postman (the name of the main villain).

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:34 am

Death Gate Cycle is awesome. Don't listen to PK.

Books 1-5 are the best ones though. The last two are not quite as good as the others. Fire Sea is indeed the best one though so at least we can agree on that. :)

Currently reading The Dresden Files. It's hilarious.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:09 pm

don't get me wrong it was only 6 and 7 that were stinkers and even then 6 was mostly readable

but 7 was such a lame ending that it left a bad taste in my mouth

fire sea was amazing and raised my hopes for the series as a whole, i'm absolutely going to blame that for my expectations being as high as they were

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 am

double post b/c w/e

My goals for next year (and the rest of this month, because I did finish early):

- Read more science fiction, a lot more science fiction, and not just warhammer 40k fiction
- Finish reading all the unread physical books (as opposed to ebooks), collecting dust on my bookshelf.
- Reread Malazan Book of the Fallen. I loved them 4 years ago, but will they still hold up post-college? Should be a fun journey.

Going to put a tentative goal of 40 books next year, but a fall back goal of 30 if that ends up being impossible. If I can't read more than I did last year, I need to at least tie.

Giving myself a book goal has been a great way to get me to read more, tbqh. It might be shallow, and sometimes leads to me finishing a book for no reason but to finish it, but it gets me reading more and that can't be a bad thing.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:34 am

Read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip Dick, and The Catcher in the Rye.

The former was good, the latter would've been better if I had read it 8 to 10 years ago.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:53 am

Read and finished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet last weekend - it was a good enough read, albeit very one-sided in its portrayal of half the cast.