What is WWN reading right now?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

scraggypunk

Re: What is WWN reading right now?

Postby scraggypunk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:23 am

i'm reading a people's history of the united states by howard zinn

it's very sad. but also extremely important
Last edited by scraggypunk on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:37 pm

I've read all 8 current temeraire books lately(the latter two for the first time), on my ereader. As my leisure reading record had been terrible for the last year, I'm very happy I did so.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:08 am

Finished all the Song of Ice and Fire books up till the last released one.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:07 am

Welcome to the waiting club.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:27 pm

He said he wants it finished before the next series comes out so it shouldn't be more than 2 years.
Had to wait 3 years for the final book of the Inheritance trilogy to come out,

Wait, wait, wait.

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree, Jr. (Also known as Alice Sheldon).

It's a collection of short stories. I'm enjoying it, it's got a very distinctive style to it.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:01 pm

The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson

well that was a trip

mediocre writing (APPARENTLY THE GUY USES A LOT OF ADVERBS, ACCORDING TO A SLIGHTLY OBSESSIVE GOODREADS REVIEW), nonexistant characterization, and one of the less coherant plots i've ever seen

but damn it was a fun read, and pretty entertaining for a story written in 1908. great example of pre-lovecraftian weird fiction.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:38 am

Reading the riftwar saga and the many books after that. It's a good read, I like Feist's style of writing. Also need to get myself round to rereading the inheritance trilogy, reading LotR and the Inkheart trilogy.

Wait, wait, wait.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:32 am

just read Kafka's Metamorphosis. im depressed now.

i was ok, i thought i had kafka figured out, i was more amused than depressed because i was expecting the story to be dark, but the last few pages caught me by surprise.

Spoiler: show
it was as if sauron won at the end of the lord of the rings and the last few chapters were describing how HAPPY sauron was that he had won, and how it was really better for everyone now

you beat me kafka. you beat me. and you did it with a god damn happy ending.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Postby Narts » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:44 am

One does not simply figure out Kafka.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:46 am

one man's happiness comes from another man's sorrow, to the victors go the spoils and the defeated nothing, blah blah blah crumpets sux! if your family treats you like a droning slave bug maybe you should cut your ties and move on!

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:48 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Reading the riftwar saga and the many books after that. It's a good read, I like Feist's style of writing. Also need to get myself round to rereading the inheritance trilogy, reading LotR and the Inkheart trilogy.

I got through about half the series around 2006-2008, and got sidelined after that. It's too bad the series it so long it's daunting me to attempt any sort of a reread. It was epic, but at times I didn't really like where the tone/worldbuilding was going.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:50 am

that's like finding a cool book you've never seen before and you want to buy the rest in the series but then you find out that there's a BAZILLION of them!

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:02 am

Narts wrote:One does not simply figure out Kafka.

yep

i like when authors keep me on my toes

I read Magician(s) once, when I was young. I thought it was "ok" but didn't feel compelled to read beyond it. The guy does have a bazillion books though so I do have some curiosity on where the hell the story is supposed to go after the ending of Magician (which I remember wrapping things up pretty well), but not enough curiosity to reread the first book(s).

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:38 am

Magican is basically the tip of the iceberg. It's still my favorite compared to the later books though. The series span longer then a single lifetime(which means many badass normals come and go),and the tone changed overtime, and series is heavy on it's complex worldbuilding on how the universe/magic exactly operates(which got layer after layer). With the series lasting so long, eventually felt a bit of disconnect/depression with it.

I found over the years I like my fantasy best if it stays a little consisten with its rules and tone(not including well executed plottwists). A song of ice and fire gets a lot of flak for being overly grimdark at times(and later books indeed drag a little), but it central themes and feels stays the same, and it knows what it's charm is and what story it wants to tell. It's escapism for me at times, I require good quality awesome if I'm going to invest energy to get engrossed with a story. A fantasy writer whose style I found very charming is James Clemens. Anyone has read the Banned and the Banished, or the Godslayer Chronicles?

As for current reading(I'm finally getting back into the habit!)career of evil, the third book of Rowlings new detective series. She's a good writer in this genre.

x0_000

Postby x0_000 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:08 pm

I bought a Sherlock Holmes sci-fi anthology and a time travel anthology, hopefully I have time to actually read them. I started one of the stories which is a Holmes story from the point of view of Ms Hudson. Slightly confusing initially because the stories take place in different time periods (this one is in the 2030s???) and Watson is a lady in this one. Conceptually it's a cool idea but the author adds a lot of unnecessary fluff from setting it in 2030, half the story is namedropping various futuristic things.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:42 am

I just finished reading the first two books of the kingkiller chronicle (The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear) and God they were good. The Name of the Wind was the authors first book, and he's already being compared to the likes of George R.R. Martin and even Tolkien. Now I was a little skeptical but I decided to pick it up as if the reviews were this good it couldn't be that bad... and it really wasn't. It enjoyed them more the Song of Ice and Fire so if you're into this kind of fantasy books I seriously recommend these.
Downside is if you read them now you'll have to wait for the third book but readers of ASOIAF shouldn't be unfamiliar with that.

Wait, wait, wait.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:27 am

im fine with you enjoying those books but please don't compare them to GRRM and especially not Tolkien

it's not even a case of one being worse than the other per se (though i still think the wise man's fear was awful), it's more that they're completely opposite in terms of what they are good at

Spoiler: show
kingkiller has fantastic writing but awful plotting and characters
GRRM has mediocre writing and decent-to-great plotting and characters

kingkiller is a story about one man being awesome at life and going to Hogwarts
GRRM is a story about many men dying horrible deaths and/or becoming crippled for like

kingkiller has faerie sex and harem romance
grrm has brutal incest and rape

like they're 100% opposite

and don't get me started on Tolkien

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:47 am

Nah that's what reviewers were doing, I merely stated what they said. Google the books to see the publishers and other authors which made the comparison

Wait, wait, wait.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:48 am

Though I can see and understand your point

Wait, wait, wait.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:22 am

yeah im just a selective reader and wanted to rant about how 100% opposite those two books are, lol

man, me myself i was doing great on my reading then i got a job and it was like lol no more reading

Narts

Postby Narts » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Suicide girls is the first thing I have read in years that is intelligent and actually makes sense.

Yes, that web site. It's also a comic. And it's brilliant. Everyone should read it.

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:07 pm

I've just powered through Slow Bullets by Alastair Reynolds - it was a fun read (and the first dead-tree published novella I've read in a very long time).

Reynolds started out as primarily a short story writer, but novels were what put him on the map and in the last five to six years he's spent more and more time refining and improving his craft in that medium; it's a bit jarring to jump into a format that pretty much has to throw away most of that development.

To call the characters thinly-drawn would be an understatement: they're all ciphers with almost no personality and a bunch of names that start to blur together after a while. This was a huge problem in his early novels (though in many like Revelation Space it wasn't that nobody had any personality as much as everybody had the same personality). It's not as much of a problem as it sounds in this one, though, because the story has a lot to tell and a very small page count in which to do it; it has some neat concepts and I found the plot to be intelligent, engaging, and absolutely devoid of filler.

To be honest, it's really a textbook example of crafting a story to fit a page count: the plot is simple enough that it's told as quickly as it needs to be, and while it would probably have been possible to fit some more nuanced characters into it without stretching the page count, their bare-bones nature doesn't hurt the reading experience anywhere near as badly as it would have in a novel.

Thoroughly recommended.

Hans Stockmann

Postby Hans Stockmann » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:53 am

I finally finished one Wheel of Time.

I liked it when the dumb anime guy died.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:45 am

Just finished reading 1984 by George Orwell, wasn't a bad novel although Animal Farm was better. The concepts and thoughts behind it are brilliant though, really got me pondering some stuff which is good. I'm terrible at reviewing books so I'll leave it at that.

Also been reading Dutch literature, as schools obliged that for our finals. Finished two medieval ones, one being a play and another a satire. Then I've read "Nooit meer slapen" which is a dull book where a guy goes on an expedition in Norway, failing and making you generally dislike him more as the book goes on. The other I randomly picked of a list and is "Tussen mes en keel", translated to imbetween the knife and throat. Turns out its a depressing book about an author who is obsessed with his girlfriend and gets depression when she leaves him. He tries to commit suicide, fails, goes to a psychiatrist, leaves and goes bipolar euphoric, and attempts to commit suicide again. Joy.

Wait, wait, wait.

Joey

Postby Joey » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:15 am

animal farm does basically the same thing but more concisely yeah.

anyway i'm up to some brian k. vaughan

We Stand On Guard, written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Steve Skroce, colored by Matt Hollingsworth

"SAGA writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN teams with artistic legend and Hollywood storyboard artist STEVE SKROCE for a subversive, action-packed military thriller. Set 100 years in our future, WE STAND ON GUARD follows a heroic band of Canadian civilians turned freedom fighters who must defend their homeland from invasion by a technologically superior opponent...the United States of America. Collecting all six issues of the controversial hit miniseries."

Could be basically taken as an allegory but replacing oil for water and the Middle East for Canada, showing how a big game of global warming will be shifting blame away from the American government, displaying how officials totally will let torture happen (at one point someone requests something" "more enhanced") and some 9/11 stuff about false flag paranoia, but most of that is peripheral to this: the United States is a ruthless fudge country and you fudge bet this is exactly how it would go down if the finger pointed to Canada for the White House being attacked in the 22nd century. Shocking, exploitative, all the underlying allegorical stuff is just a plus: it's about the rush of winning one battle in a hopeless war, about feeling something for your homeland, and, for American readers, about learning to loathe said homeland. A fudge rush. And it's just fudge cool. About 160 pages. Read it.

The Private Eye, written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Marcos Martin & Muntsa Vicente

"Set in an inevitable future of where everyone has a secret identity, THE PRIVATE EYE is an eerily prescient sci-fi mystery about an unlicensed private investigator who stumbles onto the most important case of his life.

The series is set in 2076, a time after 'the cloud has burst', revealing everyone's secrets. As a result, there is no more Internet, and people are excessively guarded about their identity, to the point of appearing only masked in public."

Just started this one. Should finish it later today. A lot less allegory going on. More just an extension of privacy issues and stuff like, you know, Snowden. The idea is that by the US tricentennial, 2076, the cloud "burst," and everyone's private conversations, delete images, everything, all became public. People lost their jobs, so on so forth, so much so that culture itself changed. People walk around in masks, presenting themselves in various "nyms," identities to use and often discard that aren't rooted in their official names. The protagonist is a sort of private detective who mostly does work to trace a nym to some sort of identity if someone wants to know who someone is. First scene of the thing is the guy taking a picture of someone's real face, which is pretty illegal. Fun stuff. Imaginative as hell.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Just finished reading 1984 by George Orwell, wasn't a bad novel although Animal Farm was better. The concepts and thoughts behind it are brilliant though, really got me pondering some stuff which is good. I'm terrible at reviewing books so I'll leave it at that.

Also been reading Dutch literature, as schools obliged that for our finals. Finished two medieval ones, one being a play and another a satire. Then I've read "Nooit meer slapen" which is a dull book where a guy goes on an expedition in Norway, failing and making you generally dislike him more as the book goes on. The other I randomly picked of a list and is "Tussen mes en keel", translated to imbetween the knife and throat. Turns out its a depressing book about an author who is obsessed with his girlfriend and gets depression when she leaves him. He tries to commit suicide, fails, goes to a psychiatrist, leaves and goes bipolar euphoric, and attempts to commit suicide again. Joy.

I remember Nooit meer slapen. It's indeed somewhat dull, but I liked certain themes of the book. I should pick up literature again someday..

scraggypunk

Postby scraggypunk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:17 am

steve lichman volume 1
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

x0_000

Postby x0_000 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 am

trying to read through "The Woman Who Would Be King: Hatshepsut's Rise to Power in Ancient Egypt" but keep getting derailed by real life and started reading "50 Popular Beliefs That People Think Are True" (but will probably also get derailed by real life)

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:36 am

Finished Use of Weapons. Oh my. Just, oh my.

I liked it more than Player of Games, though I figure I'll appreciate Player of Games more now that I've got a better understanding of how the Culture really functions.

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:37 am

It's a doozy, especially on the first read. At least you've kinda started with the more approachable novels - my first Culture read was Consider Phlebas...

Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:25 pm

Megahex, by Simon Hanselmann

"This is a stoner-comedy webcomic collection; it’s about a witch, her cat and an owl.

Megg is a depressed, drug-addicted witch. Mogg is her black cat. Their friend, Owl, is an anthropomorphized owl. They hang out a lot with Werewolf Jones. This may sound like a pure stoner comedy, but it transcends the genre: these characters struggle unsuccessfully to come to grips with their depression, drug use, sexuality, poverty, lack of work, lack of ambition, and their complex feelings about each other in ways that have made Megg and Mogg sensations on Hanselmann’s GirlMountain tumblr. This is the first collection of Hanselmann’s work, freed from its cumbersome Internet prison, and sure to be one of the most talked about graphic novels of 2014, featuring all of the 'classic' Megg and Mogg episodes from the past five years as well as over 70 pages of all-new material. Full color illustrations throughout"

How do I demonstrate this to y'all?

"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Okay, the ending was so over the top black comedy it made me smile a bit.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:00 am

Terragent wrote:It's a doozy, especially on the first read. At least you've kinda started with the more approachable novels - my first Culture read was Consider Phlebas...

i actually started reading that one years ago but got sidetracked by dog-sitting and life

maybe it should be next

scraggypunk

Postby scraggypunk » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:59 pm

the utopia of rules is what i am reading now
wisdom

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Finished Consider Phlebas. Tricky to read after the beautiful prose of Use of Weapons, but entertaining nonetheless. I felt the novel reached it's peak during the stay on the Orbital (the Damage Game was classic Banks at his best and probably my favorite chapter in the book. this sentiment probably confirms that i need to reread the Player of Games), and that the Schar's World section kinda dragged on a bit long, but then again i read the entire sequence in one sitting so that may have been my fault.

i feel like it definitely was not as refined as Use of Weapons or what I remember of Player of Games, but i wasn't really expecting it to be.

I think I'm done with the Culture for the moment though, at least until my curiosity gets the better of me and I read Excession. Don't want to burn out.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Postby Bonesy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:25 pm

i need to read more dresden files

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Jim Butcher needs to finish writing more Dresden Files so I can read more Dresden Files.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

x0_000

Postby x0_000 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:54 am

saw I Am Error in the bookstore and picked it up despite the hefty price tag (60$). awesome book that dissects the NES's technical internal working

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 am

I was reading Always Coming Home by Ursula LeGuin, as I'd really liked The Lathe Of Heaven while I was reading it, but I wasn't feeling ACH, so I've decided to come back to that one later. At the moment, as a result, I am reading The Midwich Cuckoos. I am really enjoying it.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Return to “Dad, I dug another hole!”