MUSIC REVIEWS/GENERAL NEW (OR OLD) MUSIC DISCUSSION

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Gentleman of Dread

Re: MUSIC REVIEWS/GENERAL NEW (OR OLD) MUSIC DISCUSSION

Postby Gentleman of Dread » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 am

Draggers got Falling into Infinity by Dream Theater.
Fallers got A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater.
McTool got Early Pink Floyd Singles.

Yes, alphabetical by albums.

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 am

SIXTY THREE
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

McTool

Postby McTool » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:40 am

1) Hell yeah Wyatt Family

2) Hahaha have fun with Falling Into Infinity that album is ASS
Make good choices

Gentleman of Dread

Postby Gentleman of Dread » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:05 am

At least I get to listen to Just Let Me Breathe/Anna Lee/Trial of Tears.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Postby thefalman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Hah, here was I thinking you would be going alphabetical by artist. I'm surprised you've got that many albums that begin with 'A'!
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

McTool

Postby McTool » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:15 am

Hey guys I know trance is not super popular nowadays

But Aly & Fila's new album Quiet Storm is pretty gorgeous uplifting trance, and that's not that common in an era with the wubadubs and the bumpabumps.
Make good choices

Enkuro

Postby Enkuro » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:39 am

Actually found myself listening to Ferry Corsten the other day.
" No... It was indeed not a dream. We really did it. The King of All Cosmos has really done it. A sky full of stars... We broke it. Yes, We were naughty. Completely naughty. So, so very sorry. But just between you and Us, It felt quite good. ♥ "

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:07 pm

I quite like FII >_>
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

McTool

Postby McTool » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 am

Enkuro wrote:Actually found myself listening to Ferry Corsten the other day.

What album? I've been meaning to listen to LEF again for the first time in a million years.
Make good choices

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:51 am

I have the strange urge to get hold of some Merzbow. Does anyone know a good place to start?

Gentleman of Dread

Postby Gentleman of Dread » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 am

1930, I think.

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:45 am

I think I like this album. It's definitely a heap of grinding mindscrew.

McTool

Postby McTool » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 am

The new Axwell single is pretty good dudes

Check it out

Also: super thrilled about this:

Make good choices

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Postby monkymeet » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 am

one of my besties gave me free tickets to Outside Lands Music Festival

i'm so pumped to see Daughter, The National(!) Rhye, Twenty One Pilots, Jessie Ware, Pretty Lights and The Heavy. It's a shame the first three overlap BUT I WILL MAKE IT WORK EVEN IF I HAVE TO MAKE A TIME MACHINE OR CLONING MACHINE BY TOMORROW
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Postby thefalman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Daughter and The National clashing? Whoever made that schedule wants punching in the face.

Speaking of Festivals, I've been on an island in Budapest for the past week at Sziget Festival, such an amazing experience. There'll be a review going up some time soon.

It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy

Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

monkymeet

Postby monkymeet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, it was pretty rough.

In the end, it didn't even matter that much because Twenty One Pilots stole the festival with their performance. Yeah, it may have been filled with silly gimmicks, but Tyler's absurd energy and ability to interact with the audience was absolutely amazing. Backflips off pianos, climbing up the scaffolding while rapping, getting the entire crowd to mosh around him... It was simply one of the best live performances I've been to. Lots of bands just play their sets at a festival, but they did an actual performance. Definitely worth checking out if they hit up a local city of yours, even if they might be a bit on the poppy side (schizo-pop? I guess?). The variety of sound from their 2013 album Vessel is such a joy, ranging from folk, to a bit of chiptune, to emo/rap, to just fun and danceable.

Shift Breaker

Postby Shift Breaker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 pm

New Franz Ferdinand Album out now. Nine Inch Nails next week. Pearl Jam in October, and I'm going to see The Answer then too.

Music, fudge yeah.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Postby McTool » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 am

Spoilers the new Janelle Monae is amazing

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT
Make good choices

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:33 am

Got hold of The knife's Shaking The Habitual.

...This rules hard.

monkymeet

Postby monkymeet » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 am

Yeah, the knife's newest album kicks ass

CHVRCHES new album is leaked and I'm enjoying it (thought the re-recorded tracks sound a bit off). If anyone wants it, PM me I guess?

On a sillier note:

[youtube]aPtfPtr6GgU[/youtube]

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - The Rollin' Stones
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:18 pm

I immensely enjoyed Janelle Monae's The Electric Lady - more than I did The ArchAndroid, in fact, which I thought was pretty fine. The first six tracks or so ('Givin' Em What They Love', 'Q.U.E.E.N.', 'Electric Lady', and 'Primetime') make for the year's best album opener. Check out 'Givin Em What They Love':

[youtube]21X7ALvwN8Y[/youtube]

The new Drake's, from shallow first impressions, excellent. CHVRCHES was solid, especially 'Tether', 'Night Sky' and the industrial 'Science/Visions'. None of the new cuts top 'Gun', but that's fine because 'Gun' is one of the year's best singles.

Also, London Grammar's If You Wait came out of nowhere for me but I'm very impressed. Listen to it, kids. They're kinda like the xx but more British and stuff. Here's 'Wasting My Younger Years':

[youtube]pkeDBwsIaZw[/youtube]

I've also been busy adoring these singles:

Blood Orange's 'Chamakay' - from the guy who produced Sky Ferreira's 'Everything is Embarassing' and Solange's 'Losing You'. The video's gorgeous, too.

[youtube]DfZMvTHJLUs[/youtube]

Twin Shadow's 'Old Love / New Love' - which is supposed to be in, like, GTA V or something? I don't care, this song's super.

[youtube]JFiDnErxU_A[/youtube]

Miguel's 'Can't Sleep 2gether' - from Adult Swim's excellent singles program.

https://soundcloud.com/wmstrecs/miguel- ... W3z#t=0:00
Last edited by Treedweller on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

McTool

Postby McTool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 am

Shouts to the new Arctic Monkeys too; good fuzz rock record will listen again, solid B+ material like Daniel Bryan
Make good choices

Gentleman of Dread

Postby Gentleman of Dread » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 pm

oh my god mctool i will hit you in the face for that

Dream Theater's Dream Theater is pretty great.

McTool

Postby McTool » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:53 am

Gentleman of Dread wrote:oh my god mctool i will hit you in the face for that

More like you will knee me in the face with The Move That Beat John Cena because Cole is a crumpets announcer and can't come up with crumpets (Lawler is even worse god new announce team soon please please please)

Because I am lazy I have just gotten around to listening to Washed Out's Paracosm in full and guess what

It's certainly a Washed Out album, which means if you are a big fan of chilling out and firing up your psychedelic visualizer of choice it is right up your alley
Make good choices

Sniffit II

Postby Sniffit II » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing new material at Steven Wilson's Royal Albert Hall gig next month. I'm looking forward to finding out what style it's even in (probably jazzy, but it's SW, so who the hell knows?)

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:47 am

So The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2 is streaming on iTunes right now. I'm not very far, but 'True Blood' is one of the slickest songs I've heard all year. It combines 'Thriller', the Backstreet Boy's 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)', and the sounds of FutureSex / LoveSounds in the best way possible.

I can't wait until the album's out.

McTool

Postby McTool » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:23 am

Oh I should probably get on that, see if I can find it somewhere Not iTunes. I will probably listen to the new Drake today and see how I feel about it; I've always liked but not loved his stuff and I'm hoping this turns me.
Make good choices

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:14 am

So, I think Sky Ferreira released the best single of her short career. Check out 'You're Not the One', which is even better than 'Everything is Embarrassing.' If she sticks with the 80s aesthetic, her album on October 29 has the chance to be something special.

[youtube]IFCZP1Nz3Ds[/youtube]

In the meantime, Charli XCX also released her best single, apparently accompanied by the announcement of a new album! The chorus of 'SuperLove' is fudge fantastic. True Romance is one of my favourite albums of 2013, so I badly want whatever comes after that.

[youtube]pPWcX-16A9Y[/youtube]

Also, new Neon Indian from GTA V! I fudge love Neon Indian.

[youtube]cL72j7611aI[/youtube]

lazymctool

Postby lazymctool » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:33 am

The new Camo & Krooked album, Zeigeist, is out today. So finally after one million years I can hear what a C&K and Lemaitre combo track sounds like.

monkymeet

Postby monkymeet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 am

late to the show but

[youtube]f49yRhJ0NjI[/youtube]

Shift Breaker

Postby Shift Breaker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

The Journey Soundtrack is amazing. Well worth getting the Collector's Edition for.

The game's pretty cool too, I guess.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Postby McTool » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:38 am

Oh by the way if you haven't listened to Chvrches The Bones Of What You Believe you should probably do that.

Now.

[youtube]_mTRvJ9fugM[/youtube]
Make good choices

daisy

Postby daisy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:02 am

[youtube]U7mPqycQ0tQ[/youtube]

The only song you ever need.

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:20 am

Boglet, my dear, you're so late on the K-pop train that it's almost painful.

And despite Sleigh Bell's Bitter Rivals getting lukewarm reviews (I'm looking at Pitchfork), I actually love it. It's not my album of the year, but it is 30 minutes of adrenaline. The title track is delicious, and I love the aesthetic of the video:

[youtube]Cr-ahiFDkts[/youtube]

For more standouts, check out 'Young Legends', 'You Don't Get Me Twice', and 'Love Sick'. I really like '24', too, though some say that it's sentimental dreck. They're wrong, of course, so check that one out, too. '24' is like 'End of the Line' from Reign of Terror.

Their sound's slicker and has clearer R&B influences than Treats, but I think that's pretty cool.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Postby thefalman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:14 pm

RE: Some stuff that's on this page.

London Grammar: Mentioned them a few months back, good to hear you're enjoying them though Treed. Haven't heard the album yet due to its stubborn refusal to appear on Spotify (and the lack of me buying it yet), but everything I've heard prior to that has been pretty swell.

Arctic Monkeys: New record is great, definitely a solid 8/10 or even a 9 depending on how I'm feeling. Only real problem I have is the pacing of the middle three tracks. Off to see them live next week, fingers crossed they'll be ace.

Sleigh Bells: Reviewed this here but pretty much agree with your sentiments Treed. 'Young Legends' is probably my single favourite track, but shout outs to 'Sugar Cane' and 'Sing Like A Wire' too.

As an aside, this is now the second review I've had appear on Metacritic (thanks, Drowned In Sound). Have I "made it" yet? #notaseriousquestion

Jon Hopkins: What's that? Nobody actually mentioned Jon Hopkins yet? Let me rectify that. Easily the most deserving of this year's Mercury nominees (yes, even over my beloved Arctic Monkeys and Savages).

[youtube]Q04ILDXe3QE[/youtube]

Second video features Megan from Purity Ring on vocals and is also NSFW because of naked breasts.

[youtube]CPmucPjFulI[/youtube]

He's really fudge good live too, saw him in Manchester last month and it was incredible. Hoping to catch him again at Iceland Airwaves this year. Which I am going to. Again.

McTool

Postby McTool » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:03 am

Arctic Monkeys are doing a show here in Portland in December and I super excited to go. Saw Metric at the venue AM will be playing at and it's a solid place; attracts a really interesting crowd, though that might just be Metric's audience nowadays. They put on a killer show, though; did songs off Live It Out that weren't "Monster Hospital" (!!!) and added more flair to "Gold, Guns, Girls" that I think made the audience rather confused. Haines is also just a great live presence, the amount of "I love you Emily!"s that were shouted throughout the show was astounding.
Make good choices

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:24 pm

thefalman wrote:Sleigh Bells: Reviewed this here but pretty much agree with your sentiments Treed. 'Young Legends' is probably my single favourite track, but shout outs to 'Sugar Cane' and 'Sing Like A Wire' too.

As an aside, this is now the second review I've had appear on Metacritic (thanks, Drowned In Sound). Have I "made it" yet? #notaseriousquestion

Wait, so you're the guy whose review I read and nodded my head along with? That's hella cool. I wish I would've checked the name - your review was one of the few that I thought was sensible and well-written. Great work, hon.

Also I think I mentioned Jon Hopkins a few pages back. I've listened to Immunity a lot since its release, and it's like definitely in my 2013 top ten. It's a beautiful record that, because it's instrumental, soundtracked most of my writing this year. That's not to say that it can't command attention - it's subtle and rewards listens with low and rapt attention.

I love Megan's vocals on the Purity Ring reprise, too.

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:18 pm

I've also been liking Omar Souleyman's Wenu Wenu, a Syrian artist enjoying a crossover. A crossover spurred by indie blogs in the West who like appropriating exotic Arab culture when it suits them, mind you, but at least he's getting attention.

Every journalist describes Souleyman's music as 'tribal.' Here's a sample of some of the insipid fudge journalism surrounding this release:

some fudge dumb dude on Stereogum wrote:The lyric video below gives the song’s English translation, and it’s almost a shock to see that it’s a straightforward love song rather than some mystical prayer.

...really?

some dumb fudge guy on All Music who thinks that Arabic wedding music draws on themes 'from time immemorial' rather than the timeless theme of 'I'm in love with some girl, let's shake it' wrote:He retains dabke's essentials; the poetry these songs sometimes comes from time immemorial; elsewhere it's modern. [sic]

another stupid fudge journalist on MusicOMH, who never clarifies exactly what Syria symbolizes for 'the West', and who thinks that we need to change the way we represent Syria through sugary dance music wrote:Although his music represents the antithesis of everything that his country has tragically come to symbolise to most in the West, Omar Souleyman, a musician from Ra’s al-’Ayn in the northestern region of Syria, at least partly has an implicit mission to present Syria and its culture in a positive way.

I mean, I get it, y'all think that Arabs are wide-eyed and wild despite a thousand years of empire, but there's nothing 'tribal' about his techno, Four Tet-produced sound. For fudge's sake, this is the music I grew up hearing while doing the dabke at Lebanese weddings, excepting the extra production kick for white kids to ironically shake their asses to.

But yeah, it's good guys. Here's lead single 'Wenu Wenu' with killer production by Four Tet:

[youtube]hqg702HcnBs[/youtube]
Last edited by Treedweller on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dad, I dug another hole!”