MUSIC REVIEWS/GENERAL NEW (OR OLD) MUSIC DISCUSSION

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Narts

Re: MUSIC REVIEWS/GENERAL NEW (OR OLD) MUSIC DISCUSSION

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:54 pm

I just stumbled on an awesome remix of 'The Great Electrifier' by the phenomenal Noblesse Oblige

Then I realised you guys probably haven't even heard the original version

Well here they are both

[youtube]zBLp64i0pgY[/youtube]

[youtube]hYFvqhEosIk[/youtube]

Why am I still up at this hour T__T

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:10 pm

That was good. Especially the bleep boop remix you found.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 pm

They have a newer album released in 2013, which is seriously the best thing I've heard this year.

It's better even than Helen Marnie's Crystal World (which is basically Ladytron's 2013 album)

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:25 pm

After listening to a few more songs, yes, I like this band. They're dark and bizarre, and I'm going to have fun going through their backlog.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 am

So at this stage in the late 2013, what are your albums of the year?

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 am

Here's a quick list of my 2013 albums of the year, in no order:

The Coolest Stuff
Endless Fantasy - Anamanaguchi
The 20/20 Experience (Part 1) - Justin Timberlake
True Romance - Charli XCX
The Bones of What You Believe - Chvrches
Settle - Disclosure
Nothing Was the Same - Drake
Days Are Gone - Haim
The Electric Lady - Janelle Monàe
Immunity - Jon Hopkins
Heartthrob - Tegan and Sara
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels
Trouble Will Find Me - The National

Honourable Mentions
Body Music - Aluna George
Wenu Wenu - Omar Souleyman
If You Wait - London Grammar
Bitter Rivals - Sleigh Bells
Is Survived By - Touché Amoré
Kiss Land - The Weeknd
6 Feet Beneath the Moon - King Krule
The Chronicles of Marnia - Marnie Stern
London - Banks
Anxiety - Autre Ne Veut

This was a hallmark year for pop.

The only one I'm not sure of yet is Kanye West's Yeezus. His record reeks with gross, violent misogyny and problematic race politics: mostly about fudge white women (because dominating white women means power) and relegating black women to the voiceless subterranean (since white women and black men seem to be the only characters he represents on Yeezus, though he references Billie Holiday on his sonic travesty 'Blood on the Leaves'). The idea of fudge and killing white women for postcolonial revenge was already addressed more completely and beautifully by Mustafa Said in Tayeb Salih's Season of Migration to the North, a novel from, like, fudge forty years ago. Kanye's fudge clueless in comparison, and only seems to hit on important ideas - like that black oppression in America didn't end with the civil rights movement, as 'New Slaves' suggests - by accident, while missing everything else.

Kanye's like a lot of musicians, in fact. But his misogyny was strong enough that I felt dominated by his big straight man music, much like I do with Eminem. That was once acceptable for me. Now it's not. I try not to honour things that make me feel small. So yeah, like, fudge that guy. I think Run the Jewels and Nothing Was the Same were better rap records. I'll listen to it again though. Maybe my thoughts have changed.

In a similar vein, I'm sure Lady Gaga's privileged cultural appropriation of the burqa in 'Aura' will make me hate her upcoming record, though I'm sure it'll be technically enjoyable and catchy as fudge.

I think that many would tell me to shut the fudge up and enjoy music. That's hard when you don't feel privileged enough to be immunized to the bile that certain artists spread through pop music.

And I'll write more about individual albums once M.I.A., Arcade Fire, and Sky Ferreira's records drop. What about the rest of you, dears?
Last edited by Treedweller on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:20 pm

True story - I reviewed the Omar Souleyman record, again for Drowned In Sound. Will probably be appearing on the site some time this week - I enjoyed the record a lot (might even be top 10 AOTY material) but I nevertheless await your response with some trepidation, Treed. Glad we agree on Jon Hopkins also.

Speaking of albums of the year, the following are either guaranteed or highly likely to feature in my final list:

The National - Trouble Will Find Me
These New Puritans - Field Of Reeds
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
Daughter - If You Leave
Savages - Silence Yourself
Samaris - Samaris
Omar Souleyman - Wenu Wenu

Probably some other stuff too, there's a lot of records I haven't properly listened to that I should have.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:24 pm

thefalman wrote:True story - I reviewed the Omar Souleyman record, again for Drowned In Sound. Will probably be appearing on the site some time this week - I enjoyed the record a lot (might even be top 10 AOTY material) but I nevertheless await your response with some trepidation, Treed. Glad we agree on Jon Hopkins also.
Yeah, I was hard on those journalists. But do know that when I critiqued these individual journalists, I wasn't really directing my attacks specifically at them. I could've been nicer and calmer.

If you follow me, there's a specific and collectively-decided vocabulary that journalists draw on when they talk about Arab culture, and it usually includes words like 'tribal', 'modern', 'traditional', and 'mystical' - that's what I rail against. I'm not faulting journalists for automatically turning to these words to label what they otherwise can't understand. I have problems with the pool of words that individual journalists have but tiny roles deciding themselves. But, at the same time, I do kind of blame them for not noticing this pattern and trying to change the words we use when we talk about songs in another language.

For instance, what makes Omar Souleyman sound mystical or tribal? We could reasonably call the vague beats of James Blake or the distorted vocals of Grimes mystical. We could call Purity Ring's earthy but rhythmic music tribal. But we can't reasonably describe a man made famous for singing joyous, dancy wedding songs tribal or mystical. But it's in Arabic, and that might as well be religiously-laden gook to most the world. Hell, one review claimed that the sheen of Four Tet's production detracted from Wenu Wenu. I can't help but imagine that the reviewer wanted the record to sound more 'third-world'.

However, you have to realize the irony in what I say. I must admit that I, too, only paid Omar Souleyman mind because indie blogs told me I should. I don't listen to Arabic music beside Fairuz and Umm Kulthum, and I seldom listen to either. Hell, I don't even speak Arabic (yet). That's not to say that I'm unqualified to cast stones - I certainly am. But I'm drawing on the same resources as everyone else. I ain't perfect.

I very much look forward to reading your review, and I won't fault you for words and labels that everyone else talking about Wenu Wenu seemed to be using reasonably. You're a smart writer, and it wouldn't be your fault. It's a problem bigger than all of us.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:21 am

In no order outside "I have Spotify playlists for some of these offhand"

Paracosm - Washed Out
Zeitgeist - Camo & Krooked
The Electric Lady - Janelle Monae
The 20/20 Experience Pt. 1 - Justin Timberlake
The Bones Of What You Believe - Chvrches
THIS IS... ICONA POP - Icona Pop
AM - Arctic Monkeys
Endless Fantasy - Anamanaguchi

I'm leaving two slots free right now because I *know* that Acoustic by Above & Beyond and Reflektor by Arcade Fire will both be in my Top 10 absolutely guaranteed, although Acoustic might not come out this year, which would make me cry.

There's no metal on this list so far, which kind of bums me out since it is a genre I still enjoy; the likely reason for this is because Devin Townsend didn't release anything this year.
Make good choices

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:57 am

I'd like to bring mention that Fal's review of We Need Medicine by The Fratellis is listed on wikipedia as "a scathing review".

My albums of the year
The Afterman: Descension- Coheed And Cambria
Dream Theater- Dream Theater
Unvarnished- Joan Jett
The Raven That Refused To Sing- Steven Wilson

I need to listen to a couple of albums again to decide, but those are my top four.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 am

Oh right the Fratellis put out a new album, time to go be disappointed
Make good choices

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:21 am

"You can look at this album in two ways - it's completely inessential at best, or a cynical cash-grab at worst. It'll be enough to keep The Fratellis ticking over with tours and festival appearances for at least a little while, but We Need Medicine is no Panacea - and once it has run its course, it seems like it'd be more humane for the members of The Fratellis to just let the band die in peace."- Fallers.

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 am

Yeah no the songs are this mix of not quite slow enough but not fast enough - which the Fratellis have proved they are really bad at handling - and generally awful and boy am I glad I didn't buy tickets to their show in town next week because I'd just be getting drunk until they played stuff off Costello Music.
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:56 am

I would just like to point out I think it's great that Fallie's journalism is being recognized and that it's an amazing achievement. Kudos, falman --as you may have realized from the occasional thumbs up, I stealthily follow your musings on facebook, and am happy to see you doing what you love.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:22 am

Aww, thanks guys. I should point out that I'm not exactly making a career out of this just yet, but I'm kinda wondering if I'd be better off keeping it that way. Either way, the recognition is nice, as is the opportunity to do some cool things.

RE: Treed. I totally get where you're coming from. I think it's a natural reaction to try and rationalise music that's unlike anything you've heard before in any way you can - unfortunately, the sweeping generalisations and vocabulary that you rail against are probably the easiest way to do it. Hopefully I haven't fallen into the trap too often - at the very least, I don't use 'tribal' or 'mystical' in my review, and I've tried to use words like 'traditional' in a factual rather than descriptive sense. You could even say that I briefly turn the idea of the middle-east being exotic on its head at one point.

RE: McTool: You have chosen wisely, my friend. Though I apologise for making you aware of the existence of We Need Medicine in the first place.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:39 pm

Yaaaaaay, I'm gonna go see Dream Theater :D

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:27 am

authoritative lists soon
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:56 pm

Non-authoritative list here.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:34 am

Boy I keep forgetting Trouble Will Find Me came out this year which reminds me to give it another spin
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:20 pm

It saddens me that going through Jefferson Airplane's whole discography won't yield anything better than Surrealistic Pillow. That's an early peak if I've ever seen one.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 am

Also, Black Ice could've been an amazing album with five or six songs cut from it. But as it is, it's too long.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 am

expect a prog rock based 2013 list from me

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:32 am

Expect me to just say that "...Like Clockwork" is the best album I've listened to this year.

Spoilers: "...Like Clockwork" is the best album I've listened to this year.

That said, I've got a spotify premium code ready and waiting, and a Nexus 7 (2013) on the way soon, so I might go and dig through all of your lists and try the rest out myself.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Too bad no one's discussing Beyonce's self-titled, because it might be the best thing I've heard all year. I'm not sure how I feel about visual albums as a category, but after seeing the videos through (with Blow, Haunted, and ***Flawless as visual highlights), it's tough to separate the lovely visuals from the music. That's something cool that's never happened to me before. Check out the wonderful 'XO' for a taste:

[youtube]3xUfCUFPL-8[/youtube]

I mean, I've watched music videos that made me like certain songs more. But never has seeing things set to music made me more sure that the music's good. The album's great on its own, but its feminist and sexual identity and somewhat subversive politics are clarified by its videos.

It also helps that I can't stop listening to 'Mine' (below) or 'Haunted' (a song that apes Natasha Khan in its scope, and not just because it recalls the title of The Haunted Man).

[youtube]_UOVWsP7SrM[/youtube]

Plus, I like human Beyonce - with flawed ideas and emotions - much better than the goddess Beyonce that she, her publicists, and Jay-Z's crumpets cellphone camera spent the last couple years constructing. Human Beyonce makes pretty pop albums.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:22 am

December was just nutso good in terms of last minute music. Beyonce's self titled is fantastic, Rival Dealer is great, A&B Acoustic is still not out but the tracks they've been dripping are all great, bpgbluguhgh
Make good choices

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:43 pm

I heard your boo
Was talking lip
I told my crew
To smack that trick
Smack that trick
Smack that trick
Guess what they did?
SMACK THAT TRICK

I don't really care about Beyonce's album to be honest, but I do find it funny that a song called 'Flawless' contains a large excerpt from one of the year's most hilariously terrible songs (sadly not the section I quoted above, which remains one of the funniest things I've heard all year).

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:18 am

Gonna look like a bandwagoning little toolbag as she's just been ranked number 3 in the BBC 'Sound of 2014' poll, but I've fallen head over heels with Banks.

[youtube]IaI5JCxOCdw[/youtube]

She's kinda like The Weeknd's emotionally wounded female counterpart - which makes sense, as she was touring with him extensively last year.

[youtube]GcyRPn__V9o[/youtube]

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:07 am

Silversun Pickups have a new track out and about I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who's fawning over it but whatever because it's great.

[youtube]yYjunrxUyAc[/youtube]
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:18 am

So, three years on since Joey was utterly wrong about Smother, Wild Beasts have a new album due out on February 24th. Here's the first single from it.

[youtube]9IIbbFIQTKI[/youtube]

I think this and the new Johnny Foreigner record (out in March!) are my two most-hyped releases of the year right now.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:00 am

Hey guys guess what

Above & Beyond - Acoustic is out today, you should probably I dunno listen to it or something because it's the greatest thing ever and boy I wish I could see that concert live again

Here is the "official" concert video they are putting out on DVD/Blu-Ray or whatever, but the album is a studio album and you should really listen to that instead since the live concert doesn't capture at all what it was like to be there and the studio album is better

Damn

[youtube]CNUTlKqSO-I[/youtube]
Make good choices

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:52 am

WHO IS DAFT PUNK?!?

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:40 am

giving the daft punk album a listen for the first time today. can't believe i hadn't gotten around to it until now.

sounds good. <3.

are the arctic monkeys the beatles yet?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 am

You know what's a fudge tragedy? If you google 'Heartbreaker Lyrics', the first mention of the Zeppelin song is on the fudge seventeenth result.

(thanks JB)

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:40 pm

DREAM THEATER WAS SO GOOD LIVE SO VERY GOOD

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am

I saw them too tonight. It was my first concert as well. Loud but very fun.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:13 am

RE Fally's posts: the new Wild Beasts album is great, and Banks is super. Have you heard 'Brain'? It's one of her best songs:

https://soundcloud.com/banksbanksbanks/ ... by-shlohmo

Also, Haim's new video for 'If I Could Change Your Mind' is one of the best music vids I've seen in a very long time:

[youtube]Ljg6g7BAdQo[/youtube]

Well, that and Nicki Minaj's video for 'Lookin' Ass', where she literally assaults the male gaze:

[youtube]2mwNbTL3pOs[/youtube]

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 am

The new St. Vincent hasn't been mentioned somehow, but it's great

The new Devin Townsend thing is tops: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/casualties-of-cool (hit the play button on the side)
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 am

I was going to mention St. Vincent, too, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and do nothing but listen to it yet. My shallow first impressions are that it's great and that 'Regret' is a wonderful song nearly on the level of 'Cruel'.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:38 pm

McTool wrote:The new St. Vincent hasn't been mentioned somehow, but it's great

The new Devin Townsend thing is tops: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/casualties-of-cool (hit the play button on the side)
Yeah I pledged to that so hard hahaha
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:32 pm

So we stole and drank champagne
On the seventh sip he said AH NEVER FEEL PAIN
AH NEVER FEEL PAIN! W'DON'T YOU HIT ME AGAIN