What video game are you playing right now?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Gentleman of Dread

What video game are you playing right now?

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 am

I am playing a lovely little game called Animal Crossing. Whilst the graphics leave something to be desired, there is such an overlying sense of plot that I just can't stop playing.

OH MY GOD THE GIZOIDS ARE TAKING OVER AREN'T THEY THAT'S THE UNDERLYING THEME OF THE GAME.

Pkdragon

Re: What video game are you playing right now?

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 am

i'm currently playing world of warcraft

not at the moment but in general, ya know?
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:25 am

Pro evolution Soccer 2010, same as PK.
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:56 am

Advance Wars - yeah seriously

Reinstalling and patching up Ragnarok Online. Might even make a "Let's Play" topic for my adventures.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

McTool

Post by McTool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 pm

I juggle so many video games at once it's pretty stupid.

PC/Mac:
- Minecraft is off and on right now, it's a good game to mellow out with, but I don't take it nearly as seriously as some of my friends do. It also runs on my Macbook, which means I can sit in the Academic Commons and get nothing done in there.
- When I actually sit down at the PC, I'll try a few levels of Super Meat Boy, but that usually doesn't get too far before I get tremendously frustrated.

PSP:
- Lunar Silver Star Harmony right now. I'm close to the end, heading to the Black Dragon and completely forgetting how to get through the Cursed Woods (or Hidden Woods, or whatever). I can see the exit and forget how to get past the tree. No one in that stupid town is helping either. I'm not looking to 100% this game, just finish it, and if my fourth grade memory serves correctly, I'm pretty close.
- I'm kind of breaking my own rule (see DS below) and also playing Persona 1 PSP, and hoping and praying that Atlus releases P2 Innocent Sin stateside. I want it so hard. In lieu of P2 not coming out, I'm planning on picking up P3P after finishing P1P and playing through as Female MC.

DS:
- Actually not playing anything. Didn't feel like grinding my Pokemans in SoulSilver any more so I kind of just stopped playing that one, and as much as I love Golden Sun and want to get back to 100%ing that game (which will come, I think I ended around the 50s and should have no problems taking my characters all the way to 99), I can only manage one handheld game at a time usually, and I did start Lunar before Golden Sun, even though I took a break for it. As such, I'm now breaking from Dark Dawn for Lunar.

PS3:
- Every other day or so I play a single round of NBA Jam Classic Campaign, I'm currently up to the tenth team, with no losses so far. My Celtics are beast, Ray Allen drainin' them threes all day erryday.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3 came out Tuesday and I'm enjoying it... casually. I haven't started playing "for serious" at all yet, still in the experimenting phase. It doesn't help that my input is absolute garbage and I have serious difficulty pulling off just about any combo considered "acceptable." I'm not sure if this will be the game that I love enough that forces me to clean up my input.
- I got mad hype when Gran Turismo 5 came out, but actually didn't play it a ton after the first few weeks. Races got harder, and I realized that buying cars I *liked* was not a recipe for success, I had to buy all the cars that can straight beast first before I can buy cars I actually want. I bought a car I liked out of the gate (a Lotus Elise), but it only lasted me through the Beginner races before it was quickly outclassed. I then went for the only Alfa Romeo the game would let me have, but sure enough that wasn't a tank enough car either. So I have to go back and grind for cash in order to get a really blazing car that'll tackle all the challenges I need it to but... ugh grinding in a car game is so much time. I want to get my money's worth on this game though, so I pop it in from time to time and grind some stuff out. Also: fudge the Top Gear challenges.

SO THAT'S MY GAME DOCKET YUP
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Paper Mario 2 for the GameCube, Civ IV for PC.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:39 pm

kanzer I picked RO up too but I'm playing on a private server because screw official free

i did two rounds of you don't know jack (2011)

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:45 pm

I haven't gotten around to Minecraft yet, but I might get to it once I've got some more free time to indulge in playing.

Last things I've played were Left 4 Dead 2 (360) and SSBB. Haven't really been actively gaming because I don't have the time necessary to sit down for a while and really get immersed.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:56 pm

McTool

Post by McTool » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:50 pm

deoxy: PS3 or 360?
Make good choices

SJCrew

Post by SJCrew » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:59 pm

FFVIII and Super Robot Wars J.

Gotta have my strategy fix.
Hi, I play DoR PM me for a match.

PSN: the_sjcrew

Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Friend me if you want to join my lobbies and/or compete!

Toasty

Post by Toasty » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:04 pm

I got back into playing Call of Duty 2 on Hardened a week ago but frustration got the best of me so I'm back to playing Picross 3D, doing my best to truncate my completion times. I've been contemplating buying Vanquish but Picross and CoD should be occupied until Pokemon Black and White are released.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Currently, my playlist is GBA things.

I'm taking with me for my trip the following:
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
A Very Silly Fire Emblem by x0_000
War Room Hack II - Current Version

Whooo.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Tales of Symphonia for the 4398th Time
Timesplitters 2 since I need to reacquire every damn thing in it.
Super Robot Wars K for a quick Gaiking fix before my copy of L arrives.
Probably Oblivion for another couple of days before uninstalling it, only to reinstall a week later.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:Probably Oblivion for another couple of days before uninstalling it, only to reinstall a week later.
It's kinda like Deus Ex in that fashion, except not really a great game.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 am

dammit Pichu that's what I need to retrieve from my friend on Friday or so

my copy of Symphonia

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:46 am

Why does everyone play on 360

I will never find a sparring partner ;A; (too lazy to look up the actual character)
Make good choices

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 am

because i don't own a ps3 and my main computer is not particularly gaming worthy

not that i can use my 360 online but that is hopefully temporary
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:52 am

Bonesy wrote:kanzer I picked RO up too but I'm playing on a private server because screw official free
lol official
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:28 am

PC

CivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIVCivIV till I die

with super meat boy thrown in occasionally if I only have 30 minutes of free time instead of an hour.

And lately I've been getting back into Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Haven't had all that much free time for gaming lately though
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 am

I'm currently playing GTA IV (yeah, I know, hi 2008, how you doin')- clocked up about about 15 hours of game time now (although I tend to re-load my last save after I fail a mission, so actual time played is more than that). It's pretty good fun and the story is interesting enough, but the shooting can be a bit frustrating and clunky sometimes. I'll probably stick with it until the end though.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:18 am

Kanzer wrote:
Bonesy wrote:kanzer I picked RO up too but I'm playing on a private server because screw official free
lol official
you poor bastard

Nembras

Post by Nembras » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 am

thefalman wrote:...yeah, I know, hi 2008, how you doin'...
Dude, I'm waaaaay more behind than that. If it won't run on my gamecube, I don't know it.
"Screw the girlfriend! Well, not literally... well, maybe literally, but more importantly, metaphorically!" - PK, Master of Metaphors
I sig'd Kilty's comeback! (<- click here)

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 am

I meant I've never played on an official server, Bonesy. I even was the GM of a private one for like 3 years back in the day.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 am

thefalman wrote:I'm currently playing GTA IV (yeah, I know, hi 2008, how you doin')- clocked up about about 15 hours of game time now (although I tend to re-load my last save after I fail a mission, so actual time played is more than that). It's pretty good fun and the story is interesting enough, but the shooting can be a bit frustrating and clunky sometimes. I'll probably stick with it until the end though.
One of the principle problems I have with the game is the way gunfights work. Using cover is essential, but in the late game many missions set you up in scenarios where you can't find cover and you're facing a load of enemies with great cover (and often high ground too). Furthering, once you and your foe are both behind cover it becomes a guessing game of when can you shoot without getting shot at. This is why I'm currently stuck because all of the missions available to me have become like this.

Oh, and car chases are a right bitch. If you know there's a car chase at the end of a mission and you can access the car before the chase starts, either have Packie put a car bomb in place or shoot out the tires (which might get police on you but at least it works).
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah, I hear you there Atty. I think the lack of regenerating health doesn't help either, although that may just be Gears Of War and its ilk spoiling me. Failing missions is frustrating too because of the often lengthy drives between objectives (compounded by me re-loading my last save every time I guess, but that's my own fault), and even more so if you die towards the end of a long gunfight.

For car chases I've generally just tried to unload the uzi into them until their car sets on fire, but I'll bear in mind those tips in the future - of course, I still need to unlock Packie's car bomb ability, but that'll come in time. I agree that they're a pain in general though.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

SJCrew

Post by SJCrew » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:42 pm

I would have put GTA IV on my list too, but honestly, most sessions just end with me being pissed off for some reason or other. So I took a break and started playing the crumpets out of the other games I forgot about.
Hi, I play DoR PM me for a match.

PSN: the_sjcrew

Playing: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Friend me if you want to join my lobbies and/or compete!

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Not playing Zelda right now, but found this pic and it is the most epic Zelda fanart of all time.

http://i.imgur.com/sj4Vy.jpg
and for identification: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/858932
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 pm

holy crumpets
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:42 am

Monkymeet, that is amazing

It blew my mind
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:29 am

me playing killer7 is like watching me play resident evil minus the controls

everything freaks me out and I walk very slowly

Imano Ob
3DS Code: 0516-7426-0296

Post by Imano Ob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:26 am

Been playing Tales of the Abyss for the second time lately. Trying rather obsessively to do as many sidequests as I can.
This signature is boring. I don't know why you're reading it.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:38 am

Replaying Gothic.

Such a cult game. =) Even though it's old and glitchy, it remains highly immersive thanks to a great story and atmosphere.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 pm

skipped out on an extra hour of work to do the pit of 100 trials on paper mario 2 up until floor 50

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:54 pm

In response to the first post, if you haven't seen this before you should. http://lparchive.org/Animal-Crossing/ just a wonderful let's play. Best I've read.

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Picked up FarmvilleDX (read: Harvest Moon for PSP) because I'm horrid. Luckily, it hasn't fully gripped me, and I think I'll finish Lunar first before diving into this, but it means Persona is getting put off... again.
Make good choices

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Today I got to right before Thardus on Metroid Prime, tried to play Live a Live but couldn't get into it again, and started laying out plans for a mario fangame.

Enkuro

Post by Enkuro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:51 am

Currently:
-Post Game in Phantom Brave, finally got a Prinny, right before finding the Overlord's Castle...
-Mega Man Zero Collection, Again.
-Gonna get back to Persona Three at some point in time
-Chrono Cross... probably never gonna get back to that, but maybe.

I might just bust out Mega Man Battle Network Three in the name of my youth, before Bro destroys the series' credibility for me, too...
" No... It was indeed not a dream. We really did it. The King of All Cosmos has really done it. A sky full of stars... We broke it. Yes, We were naughty. Completely naughty. So, so very sorry. But just between you and Us, It felt quite good. ♥ "

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 am

I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing lately, which works much better as a class with easy access to high quality booze for more adventures a day so I feel like stuff is getting done. Of other note, I've been using Rock Band 2 and Beatles Rock Band as a vocal trainer, and it's making me consider getting RB3 if only for access to a bigger song catalogue for that.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm

SD Gundam GASHAPONWARS. It's basically Advance Wars, but as a licenced game. And you can enter space. And you do all the fights between units yourself. And you can take down the Strike Freedom in a core booster.

It's actually the best licenced game. Ever.