What video game are you playing right now?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

MobiusReactor

Re: What video game are you playing right now?

Post by MobiusReactor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:10 pm

As did quite a few other people, it apparently hit $1M in about 4 1/2 hours. Damn good value, quite a lot of titles in there.
The user formerly known as St Johnston

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:18 pm

So uh, I've somehow managed to finish Witcher 3. I finished the Hearts of Stone DLC and now I just need to finish Blood and Wine.

Quite possibly the largest game that I've actually finished in years.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:30 pm

I've also picked up Battle Worlds Kronos, for a handful of dollars. Definitely not AW in any way, but it seems interesting.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Battle Worlds had some potential but the really simplistic AI and boring missions destroy it.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 am

Yeah. The readability of the units is pretty bad too compared to AW as well.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:02 pm

night in the woods is extremely good
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 pm

I am having fun with Gravity Rush HD, despite the controls being pretty jank.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:34 am

Thimbleweed Park was honestly kind of mediocre. Really wasn't impressed by the ending in particular. The clown character was funny I guess and I enjoyed the general nostalgia.

It was worth backing just for the soundtrack.

I give it three-headed monkeys out of five.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:24 am

played and beat trails in the sky (1)

very good
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:33 pm

I finished Final Fantasy 15 - Bromance Road Trip Adventure recently.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Pkdragon wrote:played and beat trails in the sky (1)

very good
glad to see someone else likes this game as much as I do

edit: also https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9827481439
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:11 am

So I've just finished The Banner Saga - brief thoughts:

• It felt a lot like Myth - based heavily on Norse mythology (though none of the Irish stuff here), a visual aesthetic very reminiscent of Western animation, constant hordes of faceless enemies (though not quite as dehumanised as in Myth) - right down to the enemy leaders being given simple, one-word adjectives for names (compare: Bellower and Raze to Soulblighter, Shiver, Watcher, Deceiver, etc).

• The roguelike/Oregon Trail mechanics felt a bit tacked on, and I felt they were never really explored or used in an interesting fashion. The fact that character permadeath *only* seems to result from incorrect decisions in overworld dialogues is really irritating, since it's not obvious what the "right" answer is and the campaign is far longer than other games with the same mechanic (like FTL, though it also sucks in that).

• The ending was really quite abrupt. No real resolution and not even the most basic exploration of a bunch of concepts introduced halfway through the game (and never developed).

• Fantastic soundtrack and atmosphere more generally. The writing is also solid, though there wasn't quite enough of the game for me to really get into many of the side characters.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:23 am

Was that just the first Banner Saga? You realise it's an episodic game basically and the story continues in The Banner Saga 2: Totally Not Just More of the Same crumpets

I'll have to admit I just gave up somewhere in the beginning of the second episode when I realised it was going to be just more of the same crumpets. Still adore the aesthetics of these games tho

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 am

you should finish it, it rules
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Narts wrote:Thimbleweed Park was honestly kind of mediocre. Really wasn't impressed by the ending in particular. The clown character was funny I guess and I enjoyed the general nostalgia.

It was worth backing just for the soundtrack.

I give it three-headed monkeys out of five.
So, as a Lucasarts adventure fan it's worth playing but not amazing?

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Pretty much something like that

If you were new to adventure games you'd be better off just playing one of the classics. For a fan who has already played them all, well, a new game from Ron Gilbert

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:16 pm

This does remind me that I still haven't played The Dig after all these years.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:24 pm

That one was actually one of my favourites

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:58 pm

I think I played the demo but never got around to checking out the full game. Reminded me a lot of Eon (the Greg Bear novel).

re: Banner Saga - I actually had no idea it was intended to be episodic until I hit the end credits of the first game. It makes me glad I picked up the bundle (and on sale, too), since I'm not 100% sure that each game is worth twenty USD on its own. The soundtracks being part of the bundle is a great sweetener, though.

I'm now probably about 80% of the way through the second game and have found it quite a bit better than the first, at least in terms of mechanical character progression (ie, cheaper promotion, more classes, more options in terms of how you build your heroes). Some of the new classes being stupidly broken doesn't hurt, either. It's also been nice to see significantly higher production values (ie, more proper cutscenes, more voice work) in the follow-up, so hopefully the third game will maintain that level, at least.

It has not, however, managed to quell the Myth itch that the first game gave me. Might have to see about getting The Fallen Levels working again.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Well uh, Yooka-Laylee is out.

Sure is 90s style Collectathon.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:17 am

i may actually pick that up
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:26 am

2ds is on sabbatical until the homebrew gets updated for latest fw

so i've been playing odds and ends like baldur's gate enhanced and skyrim 360

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 pm

persona 5 is really good

why did i start trails in the sky 2 days before persona 5 came out

(also hpd that news was best news, at least for everything except my wallet)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:55 am

Y'all know me, I'm not really into anime or JRPGs or whatever, but Persona 5 is really, really fudge good. So good that I picked up an ageing PS Vita and Persona 4: Golden to play immediately after I finish 5.

The first five hours of the game frustrated me, though - I was on rails with endless cutscenes and tutorials and, having played Breath of the Wild with its radical commitment to player agency, that felt wrong. But after the game opened up a bit, I couldn't imagine a better complement to Breath of the Wild. They're totally different games, but feel like the best examples of game design philosophies on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'm only about 40 hours in, however, so I still have a lot of game left for my opinion to shift.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:19 am

So what about Zelda?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:36 am

Freakin' amazing, Linky. The inventory management is ass, but everything else is perfect. It's an open world done right for the first time ever. And I'm a big fan of the physics-based shrines (they often have multiple seemingly unintentional solutions) replacing the majority of traditional Zelda dungeon crawling.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:28 am

I'll get a switch or a WiiU at some point. Looking forward to it.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:28 am

I'll get a switch or a WiiU at some point. Looking forward to it.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 am

god HotS is awful

no wonder they have to bribe people into playing it

I needses that D.Va skin though

I need it for my... skin collection

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 pm

i just played some ar tonelico 2

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:08 am

check this rad crumpets
http://imgur.com/a/pLK2D
wisdom

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 am

I've been on a SNES binge because I set up my N3DS to play 1000% legit stuff.

Finished Chrono Trigger and DKC2 102%, now doing DKC 101%.
scraggypunk wrote:check this rad crumpets
http://imgur.com/a/pLK2D
Oooh.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon May 22, 2017 9:49 am

read through 999 the other day, best use of sudoku in a video game ever

still playing persona 5, it's still excellent but sooo long, lol. i can't handle hundred hour rpgs anymore, apparently.

hmmm the forum buttons look different

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue May 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Pkdragon wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 9:49 am
i can't handle hundred hour rpgs anymore, apparently.
I feel you. I can still handle them, I think, but progress is sooo slow. It took me like four months or something to plow through Gothic II (including NotR). Right now, I'm slugging through Tales of Symphonia on Steam since I never really managed to get far on the GC version way back when. At about one month in, I'm at Palmacosta and still have so far to go...

It's really heaps of fun when I get to play, but I find myself playing off and on in ~30 min sessions more and more. Especially when I need to grind or get stuck on a boss fight (I'm playing on Hard b/c I can) or whatever I just play in short bursts.

Also, whoever had the idea to put a ridiculous overpowered Wyvern as a rare encounter in Palmacosta should be shot. That felt like the most random and unexpected TPK I've come across in a long time. Definitely was not prepared for that.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed May 24, 2017 3:57 am

100 hour rpgs are for children / the unemployed
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 am

It's particularly bad in Persona 5's case because it's a game about time management and self-realization, and that's great and all but by playing this game im feeding my bad time management habits and not really being the best i can be

i mean the game is still pretty good but there's this weird dissonance where if i were to really take the lessons and themes of the game to heart i wouldn't be playing it.
HPD wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:05 pm

It's really heaps of fun when I get to play, but I find myself playing off and on in ~30 min sessions more and more. Especially when I need to grind or get stuck on a boss fight (I'm playing on Hard b/c I can) or whatever I just play in short bursts.
I've been working on Tales of Graces F for about a year and a half now, in couple hour intervals here and there... but like, with months in between. If there's one thing in the Tales' series favor, it's that it just isn't that complex, so it's definitely possible to play in small spurts. Graces is probably the most complex of the bunch (that I've played) but at least the plot is barely existent so I don't need to remember details.

I've also been playing Trails in the Sky SC in the same way that you are playing ToS, but in *very* small chunks until I finish Persona 5. If I finish Persona 5. Thankfully, that game is a game that excels when you don't rush through it so I'm enjoying the slower pace.

and when I said "read through 999" i meant i read a let's play of it, which was a victory for time management (though there was one *little* bit that would have been so much better if i was actually playing the game on a ds). Probably saved quite a few hours that would have been wasted on redundant puzzle rooms.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Wed May 24, 2017 12:17 pm

i finished tos hd recently and started tos 2

ughhhhhh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri May 26, 2017 7:03 am

the ai in tales of symphonia is so bad oh my god

every single boss battle is essentially an exercise in how not to get the ai to immediately kill itself

it's most infuriating when you set them on scatter and whatnot and they still keep running headfirst into the boss whom i'm trying to distract for long enough so my teammates can kill the mooks (which they refuse to do, evidently)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri May 26, 2017 12:56 pm

Is Disgaea 5 any good? Thinking of picking it up when I finally clear Zeldo (117 shrines! Augh).