What video game are you playing right now?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Hans Stockmann

Re: What video game are you playing right now?

Post by Hans Stockmann » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:11 pm

I played through Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight the other day. rdein's games have only improved with each iteration. If you're after a quick, melancholy Metroid game, I recommend it.

Just don't go for the one-hit kill mode, no-deaths and pacifist cheevos at the same time like I did.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 am

Gungeon: Co-op is fun. Unfortunately my minions prefer the type 1 control scheme when I use type 2 which causes no end of crumpets deaths.

Fallout 4: I now have deathclaws patrolling my mostly-robot settlements.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Blame Game wrote:I'd just like to see something fun and new. There are other great indie games coming out that seem to be carrying the torch forward in a more conservative, iterative way (Warbits is straight up looking like AW2.1, which is a compliment). I think IS pretty much sucks at that, but the one time they decided to break convention and do something entirely new, it was totally golden.
So this (Warbits) has been out on iOS for a few days now.

It actually feels more like AW:DoR Lite to me than an AW2.1... which is a compliment.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:04 pm

I'd like to play it, but I literally have no means of doing so. You kids and your smartphones.

Blaming Terr, but I've kind of lost the past week of gaming to Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl. Hit the 2nd Stratum and have been hunting various FOEs. The Charging Pigs are no longer scary.

But I did make the (very stupid) mistake of trying to beat a Shiny Slasher. The resulting TPK was well deserved.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:29 am

I know that feeling, lol. I tried to fight this Jellyfish thing on the second stratum of 2, way before I was ready. I thought I was ready.

I wasn't.

My progress has been slowed because of various life things, tho also because I'm playing marvel heroes again. Mostly due to the fact that I'm currently using Marvel Unlimited to catch up on all sorts of comics I missed out on. Like Deadpool, Annihilation, Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, Cable, and "Deadpool and Cable"

ok so i may have a bias in what comics i read

anyway the point is going on a wish fulfillment power rampage as my favorite superheroes/villains is pretty fun, at least until the crushing reality of the game's f2p p2w schemes come crashing down upon my head
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:12 am

The new Marvel Star Wars comics line is quite good btw

If you felt like branching out a little, but not too much

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:01 am

Oh, that's good to know, I'll check them out.

I quite enjoyed the Annihilation/Conquest/Guardians of the Galaxy cosmic stuff, so I imagine those probably would be up my alley.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:27 am

Enter the Gungeon has an enemy that can catch your bullets and turn them against you. They are assholes. Not for that first part, that is easily manageable; your traitorous bullets retain any buffs and effects you have at the time you shoot them, such as bouncing, piercing, and homing.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:18 am

Bravely Second, mostly.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Alright, I've hit 40 hours in EOU, time for a break I think. I am starting to dream in grid-maps.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun May 08, 2016 4:08 am

So Overwatch open beta is happening this weekend.

I'm actually enjoying the game- yes, I know I'm supposed to hate it- it's a Blizzard game, it's a "casual" game, it's been marketed to hell, and worst of all it's doomed to be a popular game, and that means the Hipster Creed requires us to hate on it

but really, it's also fun as hell, and that means everything is ok. It's a colorful, fast paced shooter with a ton of playstyles, and that's all I need. There's definitely some balance issues here and there, and the game requires teamwork to the point that I expect the community to become pretty toxic pretty fast, but the same is true for pretty much any online game nowadays. It's still a breath of fresh air.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun May 08, 2016 5:05 am

Actually, it's the only Blizzard game besides Blackthorne I don't hate (yet)

Since I don't hate it it's okay to not hate it.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun May 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Overwatch is basically giving the AW treatment to the FPS genre.

Casual appeal graphics and a ton of cute cartoon characters with colourful personalities.

And the game is more about managing and charging unique character-based powers than traditional FPS skills. The charging based on causing damage in most cases. Black Wave and Meteor Strike wouldn't feel out of place in this game christ. Press a button and everyone just drops dead

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 am

Finished Story Mode in Etrian Odyssey Untold. Now for a dozen hours screwing around to find all the 'story mode exclusive' stuff.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue May 10, 2016 9:35 am

Depends on how achievement-hungry you are. If you want to be able to grab the lot, then you will need to fully explore Gladsheim and open every treasure chest on every floor of Gladsheim *and* of the Labyrinth (so down to B30F). If you just care about accessing all of the story-locked equipment etc then just be sure you've fully mapped out Gladsheim and gotten at least one drop from every enemy there.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue May 10, 2016 3:51 pm

The game is not very good at telling you whether a floor has been mapped out correctly for Gladsheim. For the Labyrinth, it is pretty obvious because Floor Jump will activate, but I'm not entirely sure otherwise what counts as 'mapped'.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue May 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Generally speaking you need the following:

- Walls in all the right places.
- Doors, chests, gathering points and shortcuts correctly placed (other map icons like rubble and the event icons aren't relevant and can be used as you see fit)
- Most (ie, >80%) of the floor "sighted' (ie, the underlying layer is the bright stuff that will display FOEs etc while they're in it; you generate this by walking nearby when exploring)

Most/all of these criteria have some leeway for error, though I'm not 100% sure what it is. Several things that do *not* matter:

- Pitfalls/damage tiles/warps (you can mark them with icons, paint them in a different colour, or just paint them in the standard green)
- FOE markers
- Shortcuts being opened up (ie, as long as you place them on the map it doesn't matter whether you take them or not)

To be completely honest with you, the delve down through the sixth stratum is an absolute bitch in this game, especially with an unretired party; the maze is pretty nasty and some of the enemies are nasty enough to outright slaughter even 99/99 parties that go in unprepared. If you're game to come back at it in a future NG+ with the story team, then you might be better off heading into Classic instead of chasing 100% map completion at this point.

If you don't care about the guild card medal then obviously you should just do whatever's most fun. :P

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed May 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Hm, well I'm clearly doing something wrong with the mapping, because I thought I'd accurately mapped B1-B25 and A1-A5, but the game hasn't given me a Guild Medal past "Beginner Surveyor".

Edit: I found an old GameFAQs post that suggests it's based on having every single floor jump staircase active. I fixed up a few ones that I had going down but not up, etc. and that fixed that to give me the 50% Mapping medal. Still need to do B26-B30 and that mysterious large mass missing in B15.

And yeah, an ambush in B25F almost TPK'd me at L70, so I imagine the Claret Hollows are worse in every way. Your guild card shows characters at L99, so I'm assuming there's something that raises level caps in there somewhere.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu May 12, 2016 9:26 am

B15 will become apparent as you progress down lower - it's linked to a quest.

The level cap gets raised by three of the post-game superbosses (you'll know them when you see them) - each has a quest associated with them and each one will increase your max level by 10 (so 80 > 90 > 99). It's also worth considering retraining your characters (can't remember what the Story Mode term is, it's Retirement in Classic); basically you go back to level 30 (or half your current level, whichever is lower) but gain bonus stats and skill points.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 am

Is the retirement bonus linked to levels? e.g. do I get more if I retire at 99 vs. retiring at 70?

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu May 12, 2016 10:47 am

Yeah - it goes up every ten levels from 30 to 70 and then stays the same until a giant leap at 99.

30: +3 SP, +1 all stats
40: +4 SP, +2 all stats
50: +5 SP, +3 all stats
60: +6 SP, +4 all stats
70: +7 SP, +5 all stats
99: +10 SP, +10 all stats

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon May 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Okay uh.

B30F was a mistake.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 am

The crabs still lurk in my nightmares.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue May 24, 2016 7:33 am

Doom 4.

Singleplayer: It really knows how to get the adrenaline going, and I like that they didn't completely throw away the underrated Doom 3, with lots of little references here and there. Really though, it's classic Doom, and the original Doom is one of the best games ever made, so no complaints here. Best thing Id has put out since Quake II.

Multiplayer: Outsourced to Halo developers by Bethesda. Plays like Halo. Optimised for consoles. Loadouts in an arena shooter. Two-weapon limit. No straight up deathmatch, sorry, I mean "slayer" mode. Glad Id had little to do with this.

Just give me real mod support :(

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu May 26, 2016 7:15 pm

Image Image

This game is amazing on a visceral level.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:36 am

HTC Vive is a fudge conspiracy man

Conspiracy to get lazy out of shape nerds to physically exercise

It's evil

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:12 am

Xenesis wrote:Image Image

is this the new kirby game

i need to catch up

cuz kirby is like the best thing nintendo makes
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 pm

monkymeet wrote:
Xenesis wrote:Image Image

is this the new kirby game

i need to catch up

cuz kirby is like the best thing nintendo makes
This is indeed the new Kirby game. I think it's out in the USA this week or next week.

also: Further progress has revealed that the not-Borg have a Borg Queen.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:02 pm

I'm downloading FE Fates soon. Slightly regretting spoiling parts of the plot, but I'm exited regardless.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:09 pm

I've been on a Final Fantasy XII re-play lately. Wouldn't you know it...

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Running through Witcher 3 again, this time on Death March. I don't usually play games on hard difficulty, but this is one of the few games where I feel I have the tools to make up for my lack of skill.

I'm definitely spamming the "Quen" spell which is a tad bit op, but that's ok because I'm most just enjoying the increased HP of the enemies more than anything.

Sadly I hear it gets quite easy after awhile, and I'm already starting to see this as my build starts to mature, but it's still been a novel experience up to this point.

EDIT: Super glad to see a FFXII HD release (that is what that is, right?). My disc got scratched and I barely use my PS2 anymore anyway, so it's one of the few HD releases that I'm looking forward to. Plus, the X+X-2 releases were excellent (mostly on the X-2 side, but still) so I actually have high hopes here.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:53 am

Yeah it's an HD remaster for FFXII. Details are a bit sketchy but it's likely to at *minimum* include the fixes/systems introduced in the perplexingly-named International Zodiac Job System version ("International" version that only ever came out in Japan, go figure). If we're lucky it'll also include an option to use the standard Licence Board from the original game - if we're super duper lucky it'll fix some of the balance issues brought on by the PS2's lack of RAM (mainly spellcasting being terrible because only one spell could animate at a time).

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:42 pm

I never finished FF12, suppose I should give it another shot at some point.

I think I got to the desert and uh, deserted the game.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:45 pm

I got to the final boss and then stopped for reasons I cannot remember. I do, however, recall bum-rushing that item which reverses consumable effects as well as a handful of endgame weapons. I hear such exploits have been fixed in the "international" version.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:50 am

I finished the GLORIOUS JAPAN arc of Fire Emblem Fates.

Now onto the EVIL ENGLAND arc, I guess.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:59 am

Huh I bought the fire emblem game (one of them) a couple weeks ago

But between Overwatch and VIRTUAL REALITY EXPERIENCES FROM THE FUTURE I haven't really found the time to play it

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:47 am

My local game store had Fire Emblem Path of Radiance because some moron sold it probably for less than half its worth. Unfortunately, the employees knew what a rare find it is and had it on sale for $85 USD. I was sad I couldn't afford it, so I bought Midnight Club 3 instead.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:49 am

The GameCube one? I read on r/smashbros that GameStop was restocking GameCubes at a very affordable 49-99. Give it a try boys!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:39 am

My gamestop hasn't gotten any yet, and that's a bit overpriced anyways. If you get lucky, you can get one for ~$20, but are more likely to find them for $30.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:15 am

I guess a Wii U can't emulate gamecube games properly, otherwise they would have done so already. The NX probably will though, so it can get a rerelease then.