What video game are you playing right now?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

Re: What video game are you playing right now?

Postby Pkdragon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Finally beat Metal Gear Solid 1. There's one to cross off the bucket list.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MobiusReactor

Postby MobiusReactor » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Not playing Civ VI yet, because one of my lecturers decided to set an assignment deadline for 9am on monday morning :(

All-nighter multiplayer game is happening tonight though, whether the assignment is finished by then or not...
The user formerly known as St Johnston

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:37 am

Pkdragon wrote:Finally beat Metal Gear Solid 1. There's one to cross off the bucket list.

I used to think the writing on that one was brilliant.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Postby Narts » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:40 am

Aww yiss, unlocked the golden cannons >:3

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 am

Finished Bravely Second this morning. Was good fun.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 pm

MHXX announced for Japan.

Personally waiting for MHXXX. For the lore, of course.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Got Pokémon Sun and Dishonored 2. Normally I do not get games on release, opting to wait for sales, but felt compelled to after recent events.

I realise the new Pokémon games shake things up but they are very slow to start. It would have been helpful if there was an option for experienced players to skip the things that have not changed, perhaps in the form of a trivia quiz or reasonably difficult prologue battle where victory enables the player to skip the more useless exposition.

Dishonored 2, meanwhile, has the fastest start-to-coup time of any game in recent memory, barring those that start during one. The story remains rather... "just there," but the point of such a game is less on intricate geo-political drama and more on stabbing people, loudly or quietly but always stylishly.

Narts

Postby Narts » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 am

Wow Doom 3 in VR is something else

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 am

Lol, we tried to play Overwatch for the Free Weekend. Neither my wife's or my PC can hack it.

Upgraaade time.

Edit: My computer's hard drive is dying. Definitely upgrade time. :|
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

onewaystreet

Postby onewaystreet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:25 am

Finally beat a Past in Enter the Gungeon!

The Forge is so difficult though ._.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.

thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o

I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Postby monkymeet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:09 pm

i got moon

rowlet is adorbs
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:59 pm

This is scientifically irrefutable.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:37 pm

SteamWorld Heist is on sale right now. Nice little turn-based something-or-other. Ricochet shooter? Sniper pistols are great.

Apparently you can catch a Salamence before leaving the first island in Pokémon SuMo. The lack of actual sumo is unfortunate, however.

And here is the semi-daily Rowlet pic:

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:49 pm

This isn't Twilight Princess we're talking about..

The Salamence is a 1% reinforcement in a 1% encounter as far as I heard, so it seems sane.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:16 am

I was fortunate enough to get a female Rowlet so I bred for starters as soon as I was able to and traded for a Bagon, amongst many other things. A Salamence that early is useful, undoubtedly, but its moveset is quite barren early on to make prancing around in tall grass worth it.

For frame of reference, the one Salamence I was able to get to appear Struggled itself to death because the Pokéballs available are very weak.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:51 pm

The difficulty doesn't spike until the latter half of the game anyway.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:21 am

Well my wife and I's copies of Sun and Moon have arrived.

I picked Popplio and she picked Rowlet.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:04 pm

You have a x2 weakness to your wife, eh Xen?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Seems like an understatement more than anything.

Edit: The Abra I caught on Route 2 was a shiny. Woo?

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Someone just Wonder Traded me a level 8 Ninetales with Pokérus, named Pokerus. So yeah.

I got Titanfall 2. Have yet to play it, however, because the PS4 has fudge all for storage space.

Hexagon

Postby Hexagon » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:54 pm

playing ("playing") viridi, a game ("game") where you grow succulents

I accidentally overwatered a Pachyphytum and i'm kinda pissed at myself for it
Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti

Narts

Postby Narts » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:51 am

Aww yeah Serious Sam 1 in VR

This is the real deal

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:13 pm

i spent about 8 hours yesterday playing fireemblem heroes

holy crumpets mobages are literally skinner boxes

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:00 pm

yeah they really are

that's why i'm not touching that game with a 10 foot pole

i spent my time and money in chain chronicle. i had a good time. i got a super rare uber character in the jp version of the game. to this day i am proud of that achievement. but never again. never again.

(yes i got pulled into that game so deeply that i figured out how to get the japanese version of the game onto my phone, and directly pumped some money into the japanese economy. the us version of the game was really awful compared to the jp version though, so i regret nothing.)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:59 pm

about six hours in i started hitting the limits of what i could do for free.

i looked stuff up online. supposedly, the 'right' way to play these games is to reset your starting set of stuff over and over until it's close to optimal. i could get another ~6 hours of content if i did that. it would also let me get weekly rewards from the PvP component. i'm not gonna bother.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Yeah, that was a thing in Chain Chronicles too. I never bothered in the US version, and I paid for it (metaphorically speaking) because the US version was a filthy pay to win scam, but it was still possible to just barely beat the main game for free. It was a painful ordeal, but it was possible. The events were where money became a real problem. I don't know how FE Heroes will do events, but if they're anything like Chain Chronicle (or Age of Ishtaria, or any other mobile crap i tried out), beware them. That's where the p2w becomes real.

I did a bit of resetting in the jp version, but I ended up settling with a decent but far from optimal character. But the JP version was really nice about shoving free stuff at the player, and I had god-tier luck with my gacha draws so beating the normal part of the game wasn't much of a problem. And then with a bit of Japanese Economy Stimulus, I was even able to get my team up to a point where I could do the events with relative ease. I don't think that will be the norm with FE Heroes though.

PvP is also awful in gacha games. Strictly 100% awful. One of the best things about Chain Chronicle JP was that there was no PVP (while the US version had PVP shoehorned in because it's such an exploitative way to make money). PVP in normal games is about proving your skill, but in a game where power is directly based on how much money you've spent on the game, it's just a way to further separate the haves from the have-nots. It also means that your comparison with other players matters, while in a game without PVP all that matters is how much content you're able to clear and how fast you're able to get resources which are used for free pulls.

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:16 pm

i think i could probably clear the campaigns eventually, the biggest gate there is the energy system of all things.

quick explanation of how FE works:

every char has a rating between 1-5. level 5 good, level 1 bad. the gacha will give you level 3-4 characters 95% of the time. you get a free gacha roll basically once every three days.

what turned me off was the completely fudge obvious difference between my one level 5 character and all the level 4s was. he hit more than twice as hard, he took less damage, etc... it didn't even feel like the same game.

you can level up a character's rating by basically using PvP currency, they've mathed it out to about one every two weeks or so if you're f2p. basically, i could get a team of all level fives in like... two months because my account isn't optimal, or in like a month if i reroll.

but by then there will be new stuff so w/e

Narts

Postby Narts » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:17 pm

sounds like you're not the whale we were looking for

into the trash you go

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:05 am

yeah that sounds exactly like CC except it's a little bit more generous with 3-4 characters and you can eventually update your dudes

but yeah odds are by the time you get your perfect level 5 team they'll release level 6 characters

welcome to the eternal treadmill

i'm not touching that game it would be so very bad for me lol

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:00 am

yeah no that game sounds like all sorts of awful
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:43 am

I downloaded it a week ago but haven't touched it at all. I'm not sure the simplified cutesy gameplay is it for me. And I'm still feeling numb from the amount of lore awakening shoved into it's extra content. That one was intended as a final collection of everything, but I'm just tired of that angle. Pokemon's doing it a lot too, with Go being very slow on the updates lately.

Speaking of Go, can't wait until all the new mons past gen III drive the playerbase down a bit. Maybe there's a overlap between gym elites and genwunners. I can dream muhahaha.

Sven

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:03 pm

i uninstalled FE heroes. it was a fun 8 hour experience or so.

if you're willing to reroll your start a couple times and pump ~$20 into it i could see someone clearing all the campaigns in maybe ~20 hours of gameplay total.

the single player campaign is a really well put together experience, the PvP is not.

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 pm

In my experience, PvP is only ever fun in a game that is wholly designed around being a PvP game - I'm sure the F2P crumpets exacerbates this problem but I suspect it'd have been there regardless. Remember the Link Arena from FE7? I wish I didn't.

re: thread title, I've recently gotten a gaming PC again and I'm really, really enjoying the revitalised Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Plenty of active players, a pretty active community, and the mod is just as amazing as I remember from ~3 years back.

scraggypunk

Postby scraggypunk » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:24 pm

wasn't there an awbw for fire emblem that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:36 pm

scraggypunk wrote:wasn't there an awbw for fire emblem that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

that thing wasn't ever really finished was it?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Fire emblem PvP is mostly funny for making your own ''who wins'' contests(I'm looking at the GBA games here). As for the rest... it just doesn't really fit in a single-player oriented stat system well.

Sven

Postby Sven » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 pm

mobile game pvp is basically you putting your dudes up against someone else's AI controlled team.

because the AI is dumb as a bag of bricks, you get put up against enemies with way better heroes than you pretty much always.

as an aside i'd like you all to meet the new dorcas

gunter

TehMutaRuzh

Postby TehMutaRuzh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 am

Still playing Splatoon to this day.

For awhile I played Civilization 6, but then stopped because the AI is really dumb. Then I tried Endless Legend, which was new and shiny and interesting but also similarly stopped because the AI was also dumb, but also had partial control over my units in combat which is really dumb.

I'm playing Fire Emblem: Heroes a bit but it's pretty weak for an FE game and I can already tell that the end game isn't interesting enough to be worth the grind to get there.

I tried playing Advance Wars: Dual Strike the other day and holy moly I can't believe how bad I am at the game now :(
it's not too fun to wander...

MobiusReactor

Postby MobiusReactor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:19 am

Fire Emblem Heroes is a great toilet game, but I don't see myself playing it for any great length of time.

Factorio is my latest timesink game, as someone that likes trying to find the optimal solution to problems it's incredibly addictive, and has a habit of quickly turning from "I'll just play for half an hour" to "What happened to the last six hours".

On another note, I got the humble freedom bundle the other day, and now have a spare copy of the following games, if anyone is interested lemme know:

Super Meat Boy
Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery
Super Hexagon
VVVVVV
The Stanley Parable
AI War: Fleet Command
The user formerly known as St Johnston

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

FREEDOM

i got that bundle too : D

Return to “Dad, I dug another hole!”