What video game are you playing right now?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: What video game are you playing right now?

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:22 am

Terragent wrote:Yeah! Let me know what you think of the classes, I'm really looking forward to trying it out myself 12 months down the track.
I can probably indulge you at some point well before then, I'm sure. I doubt I'll go through all 30 demo uses.

I'm still at the 'can't quite read enough Kanji to understand what the skill descriptions mean', so it's faffing around semi-blind in some respects. My demo team is built as the following so far:

Aslan Dragoon, Selian Masurao, Aslan Cestus
Lunarian Warlock, Brownie Herbalist

Dragoons are like some Protector/Gunner mix and are the funkiest of the classes I've got. The others feel a bit more straightforward.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:49 am

Huh, that's a somewhat different romanisation for the races than I'm used to seeing - the humans are usually called "Earthrun" and the animal folks are "Therian". Lunarian's on the mark and while most romanisations use "Bronie" I think Brownie is almost certainly more correct.

I really can't wait to try the Dragoon. So fun getting a tank class that has non-trivial attack potential, plus their designs are all dynamite. Are you running with PUNCH ROCKGROIN SLAB BULKHEAD BIG MCLARGEHUGE BLAST HARDCHEESE as your Cestus?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:09 pm

I just romanised them myself pre-coffee, so I don't know what the official romanisations/translations are. Therian would certainly make more sense than what I said, and Earthrun also works. The vowels are totally wrong for Bronie, so that makes no sense as a romanisation.

And I went with the one that looks like the EOU shopkeeper for my Cestus, although BLAST HARDCHEESE is hilarious. Also one of the Dragoon portraits is basically Olivier Armstrong so I couldn't resist.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:15 pm

I think most of the fan translators are ESL, so they might be a bit reluctant to add in vowel-sound modifiers and just stick to a direct rendition of whatever's in the Japanese - plus they're less likely to pick up on the possibility that the term is an English one rendered in Japanese (ie, Brownie) since they probably don't have the cultural knowledge.

EDIT: yeah, she's Eyepatch Survivalist in a new suit of armour. A few other callback designs in this one (Older male Dragoon is pretty similar to Visil, the punk reaper is based on the blue-haired Dark Hunter, etc).

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:36 am

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... abilities/

So the new Quake has class-based unique special abilities

that clever I wonder where Id designers get all their ideas from

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:44 am

I bet that's got the quake grognards really mad.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:14 pm

They haven't had a real Quake game since Quake 3 so they're probably not even paying attention to this one.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:16 pm

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:19 am

Xenesis wrote:I bet that's got the quake grognards really mad.
Pretty much. It all depends on how pronounced these abilities are and if they can be turned off. All I can see Champions doing is making me install Quake III again.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:16 am

If it's anything like Overwatch but without having to "teamwork" with idiots who have no idea what they're doing I might jump on it

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:23 am

so i got kof 13 to work finally, we esaka now

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:27 am

Narts wrote:If it's anything like Overwatch but without having to "teamwork" with idiots who have no idea what they're doing I might jump on it
I quit TF2 for this reason.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:05 am

What's your opinion on overwatch as far as shooters go Dave?

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:46 am

btw sep 9-12 is free weekend so you don't have to rely on opinions from people who don't play the game

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:03 am

Narts wrote:btw sep 9-12 is free weekend so you don't have to rely on opinions from people who don't play the game
I'm actually more concerned if my laptop can run it. Not so much specs, but it's got the usual dust problem starting to pop up which might be bad in a multiplayer game, and I'm lazy about fixing that.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:41 am

Dragonite wrote:What's your opinion on overwatch as far as shooters go Daisy?
I haven't played it because:
- I'm picky when it comes to games.
- Blizzard is a mediocre developer that hasn't made a single game that has held me for more than a couple of days. (Perhaps Starcraft, but that was a fluke and it lacks the polish of... ahem... "competing RTS games")
- It's too similar to TF2.
- Life is too short and my Steam library is too long to waste time on multiplayer shooters that aren't developed by id. (Although even they fudge up with Doom 4.)
- It's too popular (Sounds like I'm a hipster or whatever, but the popularity of a multiplayer game directly correlates with the amount of fudge playing it.)

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:56 am

yeah you wouldn't want to play a multiplayer only game that has people playing it, i prefer games where it takes a few hours to find people
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:02 am

I think it's a mistake for anyone who likes FPS games even slightly to skip Overwatch.

Having played it I don't even look at the FPS genre in the same way anymore. Everything else just feels hopelessly bland in comparison.

Even TF2 just looks depressing when I look at the YT videos now. I remember thinking that TF2 was a game that would never look old. But it does.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:35 am

scraggypunk wrote:yeah you wouldn't want to play a multiplayer only game that has people playing it, i prefer games where it takes a few hours to find people
You know damn well I wasn't referring to either extreme. TF2 was enjoyable before it went F2P and let all the riff-raff in.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:50 pm

so this new Monster Hunter game is super good

i've fallen into the grind again

Sword and Shield is insane now
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:27 am

Onward made me buy these.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:13 am

grats on the kneecap protectors, dork
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

MobiusReactor

Post by MobiusReactor » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 am

Overwatch. Was the only one on my team that actually seemed to know what I was doing in any of my placement matches, so I got landed in gold after going 3W-7L. Now salty as fudge because I feel like I should be at least a couple of hundred mmr higher but got dragged down by people fannying around and not contributing.
The user formerly known as St Johnston

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:06 am

It's psychic lawyergame time again! AA6 is out and I am playing it.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Still running a Pathfinder campaign

oh wait that isn't a video game oh well

today my players killed harambe, survived a hippo attack, had one of their characters lose an arm (and then regain it due to MAGIC), and got close to being tpk'd by an old bald guy. it was a good session.

-

I've figured out that just because i'm running an adventure path (premade adventure), i don't need to follow it 100%. This session had the players going into the middle of the jungle, and the book had the players going along a preset line and hitting a few encounters and then they were done with that section of the game, and i realized that if i ran it that way, it would be completely forgettable filler. I've had a problem with player immersion up until this point, and having a major region reduced to a single session and a few battles wouldn't help things.

So what I did was I turned the jungle into a hex map, and am allowing the players to plot their own course through it (admittedly, there is a river that is easy to follow cutting through the jungle, so the players are following it- but they are actively making the choice to follow the river!). In addition to the pre-set events in the adventure path, I've got some random events, random encounter tables, and a few faction-based events on a timer that the players can interact with. Long story short, The result is that the players have had a far more entertaining trip already than they would have if I had just followed the book, and they're only about ~10% through the jungle. I'll speed things up next session, but my goal is for the players to actually be relieved by the time they reach the other side of the jungle.

GMing is pretty complicated, but I'm getting there.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:37 pm

The knee pads really help with dropping into the high kneeling position.

And I finally figured out how to use the map!!!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:58 am

So, I recently found a second hand copy of Soulcalibur III and I've been playing that ever since. It's not as good as II, but it's still lots of fun. Hard as balls sometimes, though.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:39 am

picked up yokai watch 2

Almace

Post by Almace » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:09 am

I found my old copy of Meteos, so I've been playing that to kill time. Forgot how damn addicting it can be, and it's still a blast after all these years.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:39 am

Yeah, Meteos is a fantastic game. I should grab my copy some time...

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Finished Axiom Verge. :D

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:55 pm

i should do that too :V

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Please tell me that's h:m:s:ms, not d:h:m:s...

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Terragent wrote:Please tell me that's h:m:s:ms, not d:h:m:s...
Yeah. Cleared in 15 hours.

The game has a speed-run mode so I'm presuming that's why the timer is such high precision.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Thank goodness for that. Your first run, or one of many?

Meanwhile, I've just started a fresh run of Xenoblade Chronicles X - my initial run had been a ranged sniper rifle build, so in this game I'm going to start off aiming for Galactic Knight first and foremost. The sheer fun of just running around, exploring, and trying not to get eaten by creatures in this game is just amazing.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:36 pm

First play through the game. Used a guide for the last 10% of items or so.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:07 am

I'm playing Witcher 3 for the first time along with xcom 2.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:04 am

Well Xen, what is the verdict on the new Ace Attorney?

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 am

oxenfree: cool, also good
wisdom

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:04 am

DieselPheonix wrote:Well Xen, what is the verdict on the new Ace Attorney?
I liked it better than AA5: Dual Destinies, but still a few 'hur dur blur, okay present each piece of evidence until it sticks' problems in a few locations.

The actual cases are a bit harder than AA5 as well, which I didn't mind apart from the one or two times where you just get brickwalled.