Thoughts on Windows 8?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

daisy

Re: Thoughts on Windows 8?

Post by daisy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:40 pm

I wrote that stuff over half a year ago, but anywho.

They're the only company I can think of that has anything to do with AAC. It's a terrible format and I want to know what possessed Apple to use it.

I use OS X - in fact, I am typing this on Mountain Lion. It's my mobile (bed) OS, and it's great for that. I don't need to be messing around with geeky crumpets - I just need Firefox, iTunes, Skype, Pages/Word, Excel/Numbers, uTorrent, VLC and Steam to run. Nothing more. For that purpose, it's the best OS that I have ever used. Boots up fast (although my install kinda needs a refresh) and once everything is cached, is really quick.

What was the last version of Windows you used? You know you can view those hidden files very easily in folder settings right? I use Windows with hidden files visible, and there's nowhere near as many lying around as you'd think in Vista/7/8. You can also choose where programs install (and have been able to since the DOS days) and in my experience, modern uninstallers actually do uninstall the program. Windows has come a long way. When I first started using OS X about 3 years ago, I had to adjust myself to the OS X way of doing things, and I still find the way OS X handles most program installations weird. Maybe you're having the same problem in reverse?

The reason why I wouldn't use OS X as my desktop OS is simple - it forces me to do things Apple's way, not my way. I don't store a lot of files other than essential documents and a little bit of music on here because it dumps them in REALLY strange places deep inside a massive web of folders. No equivalent to Aero Snap, either, which is essential to me these days.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:23 am

Quick review: It's an improvement and a genuine upgrade over 7. Upgrading is now worth your time. Well done, Microsoft.

Long review: 8.1 has actually made 8 stress-free. I’m not swearing at whichever wanker designed the GUI every 5 minutes. No longer is shutting down ridiculously complex for such a simple task. Most of the improvements are desktop/laptop-centric, but the Metro (shaddup) interface is also a lot less bare-bones for tablet users. If one wanted to live inside Metro without touching the desktop, you very easily can.

The tech media was very cynical about the reintroduction of the Start button because the Start menu itself doesn’t make a return. Clicking Start simply takes you to Metro, however you can right-click it to get a menu full of useful stuff, and I actually prefer it due to it being less cluttered. (It kinda reminds me of the 9x days, hehe.) In 7 and prior, you had to go hunting through Control Panel to get at half of this stuff.

I can now boot to desktop, and change the background on Metro. In 8.0, Microsoft omitted what I think were basic customisation features, but they’re nearly all there now. They’ve clearly listened. Before, your Metro background was limited to a number of preset choices, but now I can pick my own or use the same wallpaper as my desktop. Being able to properly resize the icons (MS has a dumb marketing name for them, I forgot.) is nice, and although I still can't do it to the degree that I'd like, it's great to have.

Metro: http://oi41.tinypic.com/2r72g79.jpg

Desktop: http://oi44.tinypic.com/qywjzd.jpg

Basically, it’s added almost everything I missed from the original release, with the stuff that I liked that I lost when I downgraded back to 7, like the much improved security and the sizeable performance boost. My only complaints are that this is what 8 should have been (this stuff should have been in there from the beginning) and that by default it is clearly set up to be a tablet OS - why doesn't it detect what sort of computer you're using and adjust itself accordingly? Who the fudge has a phone-style lock screen on their desktop/laptop? Still, it’s a free upgrade if you already own 8.0, and this isn’t even the final version yet – this is the beta. It’s fixed an OS that I thought was beyond fixing, so hopefully the final release will add some new stuff. Microsoft has finally shown that they can innovate without fudge up – but if they will be able to get it right first time is another question. 8.1 is a solid OS, even in beta.

8: 4/10

8.1: 9/10

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 am

Now I want it. Sigh. I'll get around to replace my 2009 laptop eventually, don't need to waste money on that now though. I noticed your metro is more bare then last time. You don't use it much? I have yet to see any version of 8 in action, so the actual benefits of each for me are unknown.

Btw, you should consider writing more reviews, like your approach.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:49 am

A 2009 laptop is still usable assuming it was midrange when it was bought. Metro is little more than a Windows key + type what I need. I never see it unless I'm hunting for something I don't know the name of.

Cheers. I might make a reviews topic. I need to practise my writing for college. (Especially persuasive writing)

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:58 am

It should be mentioned that I've changed my mind on Aero. I think I said in my original review that I didn't like the new look to Windows 8, but in retrospect it's actually a lot cleaner. Doesn't look quite so 2006.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:35 pm

So, it's that time again boggy.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:33 am

Coming soon. I got a couple of bits of hardware that don't have drivers for W10 yet.

EDIT: I did use one of the W10 betas and found it to be what W8 should have been. From watching reviews and stuff, I *really* hate how much bloat it comes with (I'm going to spend 30 mins just decrapping the system) and compatibility for certain graphics cards, sound cards and even some games released in 2015 isn't there.

...unless you really care about my opinion, in which case I'll VM it just for you Draggy <3

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:51 am

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:20 am

I'm not going to touch Win10 for a few months while they work on fixing all of the bugs people are complaining about.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:24 am

Everything checks out driver-wise on my laptop apparently. Going for it.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:27 am

I've found your rants with pretty pictures more amusing/informative as windows-of-the-year 101 then scouring the web for it. At least it prevented me from panicing when I was stuck with vanilla 8 for a day last year, and being aware of the advantages of the improved 8.

Metro is gimmicky and switching is annoying, and in the past year I never felt it to have any real use to me over classic desktop. I'll be glad to have windows 10. I just need a few witty screencaps to get me hyped. (I'll be upgrading middle august or something)

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 am

It'll come tomorrow or the day after.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:41 pm

it turns out I can get the free windows 10 upgrade! should I get it? this pc is on its last legs though!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:03 pm

kiwi wrote:it turns out I can get the free windows 10 upgrade! should I get it? this pc is on its last legs though!
I'm in this exact same boat.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:19 pm

I heard it doesn't require much extra specs though, if any at all. Also was told(and just looked up), this will be the final ''version'' of windows, since they can rely more on big online updates nowadays.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm not too sure if I should upgrade right now though. I've seen people getting some nasty crashes on it. Also, I'm not too sure about compatibility. I've spent quite a lot of time fixing older games so that they work in Win 7 and I don't really want to have to go through all that again.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 pm

I'm holding it off a while either, aside from bugs, I'll need to doublecheck the amount of free space on my computer, and I'll have some maintenance issues. My laptop is the early stages of getting dust inside, and I noticed it heated up quite a bit in the hot weather we had this summer.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:11 am

Free space isn't a problem as it's meant to be smaller than win 7 I believe.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 am

i am now dual booting Linux Mint and W10!

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:05 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Free space isn't a problem as it's meant to be smaller than win 7 I believe.
You'll need to be able to store the install data. Upgrading is a complex affair, so it needs quite a bit of memory to sort it out. I probably have enough though

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 am

I mean this computron hacks and wheezes and will probably catch fire!

I'm guessing there's no way to transfer the license or whatever?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:35 am

Welp, guess I'm stuck now. Windows thought today was a good day to upgrade so it started by itself while it wasn't looking. Let's hope it's not all bad.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:40 am

HPD wrote:Welp, guess I'm stuck now. Windows thought today was a good day to upgrade so it started by itself while it wasn't looking. Let's hope it's not all bad.
Don't you just love it when Microsoft makes decisions for you?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:14 am

I clicked to check and now it´s starting the download too. Oh hell. But I'm probably good for a while, I'm on the crappy default wifi network nearby instead of the ethernet cable of the fast internet I share with my housemate. Maybe I can tell it to ask me next morning.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:15 am

I don't even click the little x to close it to avoid giving them undue patronage!

but apart from that I hear it's alright!

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:04 pm

i reinstalled 10 and it installed some driver for something that wasn't even the right thing which made my comp crash whenever i closed the lid

forced updates are total BS, my dad had a similar thing happen that culminated in him having to go back to w7 off some backups from last year

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:21 pm

well, it seems to have pulled through alright. haven't thoroughly checked yet as internet has been down but it looks okay

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:33 pm

After using it for a bit and some fiddling I conclude it is pretty good! I'm pretty happy with the result, but I hope that all those old games I've gone through pains to run on Win 7 still work. Can't be too sure about that.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:42 am

Apologies for the delay. Life has been busy. This won't be anywhere near as in-depth as my W8 "review" for two reasons:
1. W8 was so radically different that it warranted a wall of text. It's easier to talk about things that are terrible.
2. I'm not as into tech as I used to be. I could write quite a bit on why but that's for another topic.

To be honest, I don't have a whole lot to say. (Sorry.) This is W7 with all the good stuff of W8, plus a few nifty extras like better Snap, multiple desktops, task view (inb4osx) and a more pleasing GUI. It all feels very smooth, and OneDrive is integrated perfectly, as it would be. Really it's what W8 should have been. I don't really have very many complaints, but the niggly things are as follows:

- I've encountered some compatibility issues but they're all minor. (Older LithTech engine games don't play well with W8, and they don't with W10 either.)

- There's some small "Microsoftisms" with the UI, but like Draggy said, I'd imagine/hope these will all be sorted out with updates. Some menus that don't really make sense, etc. That said, this has always been an issue with Microsoft products so it's nothing new.

- The nerd in me is pissed that there isn't an obvious product key and that MS instead validates installs entirely via their central server. I don't like this. It's another example of intrusive DRM that software corporations are increasingly using. What happens if their servers get destroyed and lose all of the install information?

- (Not a niggly thing) ALL THE BLOODY BLOAT. Where in the install process did I say that I wanted loads of pointless Metro apps installed? Nowhere. As I did with 8, I spent a good hour de-crapping the system.

Apart from those things, it's great. I've not had any hardware issues on my laptop. It's not installed on my desktop yet as I'm currently living out of a backpack, but short of any driver issues, I can't see myself having to make another post on it.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:32 am

If you can think to remember, or direct me if it is posted somewhere already, could you detail exactly what apps you removed in your Win8 system? I've had mine for a bit and only use like four things, but a bit of extra space never hurts.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:50 am

the on screen keyboard crashes a lot. so it sucks a LOT for me
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:00 pm

it's still bugging me to install! should I do it? this pc is from, like, 2007!

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:48 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:If you can think to remember, or direct me if it is posted somewhere already, could you detail exactly what apps you removed in your Win8 system? I've had mine for a bit and only use like four things, but a bit of extra space never hurts.
1. 90% of all the Metro apps with the exception of Weather. If I were on a tablet it'd be different.

2. Accessibility stuff, languages, etc. Oh how I yearn for the 90s when you could specify what stuff you want when installing. I only keep IE around for the occasional outdated website. I haven't bothered with Edge yet.
kiwi wrote:it's still bugging me to install! should I do it? this pc is from, like, 2007!
If you're comfortably running 7 then you'll be fine. General-use computer specs haven't really come a massive distance in the last 5-10 years except for form factor.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:49 am

I suppose it's pretty hard for the specs to rise at this point, they've yet to outdo vista with the fancy reflection effects and animations..

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:09 am

Dragonite wrote:I suppose it's pretty hard for the specs to rise at this point, they've yet to outdo vista with the fancy reflection effects and animations..
I think they realised that telemetry was a better use of all their OS upgrades.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:00 am

Dragonite wrote:I suppose it's pretty hard for the specs to rise at this point, they've yet to outdo vista with the fancy reflection effects and animations..
Hey I liked those! I kinda miss Aero...
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:06 am

onewaystreet wrote:
Hey I liked those! I kinda miss Aero...
I liked it too, but it's really not aged well. It looks so mid-2000s.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:46 pm

I must say I'm really impressed with the way MS is listening to customers now. They're actually listening to feedback and updating Windows based on suggestions they get via the feedback "app." After several months of use I can safely say this is the best OS I've ever used. (direct hardware access would be cool but eh)