Thoughts on Windows 8?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

daisy

Thoughts on Windows 8?

Post by daisy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Anyone upgrading? Kinda on the fence. I'm not too keen on the interface at all.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Thoughts on Windows 8?

Post by HPD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:06 pm

I'll probably wait it out for a while. I really like my Windows 7 right now.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 pm

It looks weird to me. Haven't seen it in use, don't have money to spare on it, don't care about it, like my windows 7 as HPD does, so.. meh.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 pm

I feel like Windows 8 is best suited for a touchscreen device.

I do not have a touchscreen device.

I'll pass for now
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:25 pm

UPDATING LATER TODAY

LOVED THE RP

CAN'T WAIT FOR MY SURFACE AS WELL

LOCKING MYSELF INTO THE WINDOWS HIVEMIND
Make good choices

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 pm

I don't mind Windows 8, and I think all the ragey-press it's been getting from game developers and programmers is stilted and done with a me-too mentality. It took me a few days to adjust, but it's fine. My only problem rests with Windows 8 and Internet Explorer's obsession with Bing, which I hate.

Do keep in mine that I dual boot and only use Windows for gaming. For everything else, I use OSX.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:20 am

Treedweller wrote:Internet Explorer's obsession with Bing, which I hate.
Then don't use IE.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:21 am

I can't be bothered to install Chrome on an OS whose browser I only use in emergencies.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:51 am

I'll be "getting my hands on it" tomorrow possibly. I'll let you guys know what I think, along with screenies.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:13 am

seems weird but i'll probably end up with it anyway when i buy a new computer

right now i'm still running vista =/
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:31 am

There is nothing at all wrong with Vista post-SP1.

Downloading now. Used the Amazon gift card I had lying around. I was going to pirate it for testing purposes but then I read that MS have got even more anal about it this time around, which includes locking you out of Windows and Microsoft account completely. I'll tell you guys what I think.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:47 am

I am in the process of downloading as we speak but will give more details once it's finished. I'm biased though, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Make good choices

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:19 am

First impressions: fudge terrible. What is this I don't even.
After setting it up and installing stuff: Eeehhh... it'll grow on me.

Stuff I like
Aero was looking dated, and the smoothed-out block colours are appealing once you get over how odd they initially look. The Start screen helps keep the desktop tidier. Ribbon has grown on me a lot since it first appeared a few years ago, and I'm finding it a lot easier to find stuff in menus. Memory management is "better" (it reminds me of OS X) and encoding part 6 of my Quake II LP (55 minutes of 1080p AVI to 720p MP4) took 20 minutes instead of 30 with a 4.2GHz 2500k CPU and 16GB DRR3 RAM. I *think* booting up from cold is faster too, but I have an SSD so it's hardly noticeable for me since everything was fairly instant to start with. Installing from the 7 desktop, keeping nothing from 7, took about 30 minutes, which is about the same as 7 installing from booting the DVD in BIOS. It only asked me where I lived - everything else it pulled from my 7 install. You can also now uninstall bundled apps!

Task manager now looks like this:

And it's much more useful and doesn't feel as dated as the last version found in 7, which has been pretty much unchanged since the days of Windows 2000. It's a lot more detailed and I'm able to edit processes without going into msconfig, not that that really matter anymore due to the memory management taking a leaf out of OS X's book.

It comes with Flash preinstalled, which is nice. Compatiblity hasn't been a problem so far and all of my hardware is working fine. It did complain about my crappy early-00s webcam, but it seems to work anyway. I've had no software issues yet, but we will see!

This isn't anything to do with Windows 8 per se, but I recently discovered this tool which has made the whole reinstallation process much easier.

Stuff I don't like
I'm giving it a chance and resisitng the temptation to go back to 7. The Start screen is a stupid idea on a desktop and uses up a whole screen instead of the little bit of screen real estate that was in 9x/2k/XP/Vista/7. It kind of feels like Windows 3.11 but prettied up a bit, so it's a bit of a step backwards there. I'm living inside the desktop "app" and hardly touching Metro, which says a lot. But the worst part? Freaking fudge does it come bundled with crapware and bloat. I've NEVER seen so much bloat on an OS. I spent the best part of an hour deleting crap, like the Xbox app, which exists purely to shove advertising in your face in an attempt to make you preorder whatever the new Halo game is and buy Microsoft's badly-made so-called "HD capable" plastic box. Just to demonstate, default Metro looks like this:

There are many more apps if you scroll along. (Mouse wheel down scrolls right, up is left.)

After removing crap, it looks like this:

Desktop looks like this, after accessing it via the "app":

By default, the taskbar is empty (those are just programs I'm running) although you can still pin stuff to it. I had to put ZDoom on my desktop instead of in Start as there is no right-click and file-dragging (which I need to do to run custom WADs) in Metro, which screams "this was designed for a touch screen, fudge you mouse and trackpad users" at me. There is no Start button, as you can see, but if you drag your cursor to the lower left corner and left click, it'll bring up the Start screen, and it really isn't very efficient with screen real estate at all. There's also no way to change the colour of the text in window bars, so I can't have a slick black theme with white text.

Internet Explorer 10 is still fudge IE and randomly kicked me out of three YouTube videos halfway through playing. I didn't have that problem after I installed Firefox + AdBlock Plus. The desktop version is basically a rebadged IE9 with built-in Flash. The Metro version only supports fullscreen, doesn't have Flash and is about as pointless as my appendix.

Bog's Bottom Line: So far I'm enjoying it but I'm kinda not. I've spent most of my time getting rid of or bypassing the new "features" which isn't really a good sign. I miss the Start menu but I *think* the Start screen is starting to grow on me a tiny bit as I'm not scrolling through apps and you can still do Windows key + *name of program* to launch stuff. I'm quite fond of the sharper look and the extra performance.

I'll run some benchmarks of Crysis, HL2 and 3dMark for comparison later.

Specs for reference:
i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz
16GB DDR3 1666
GTX 470 1.2GB OC
Intel 120GB SSD
Samsung 1TB 7200RPM
Samsung 250GB 7200RPM
1920x1080 (Haven't tried dual monitors with TV yet)

(Dedicated to my Dad, who I fudge miss geeky conversations with.)

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:10 am

In a complete reversal, I am hooked into the app world and am never turning back. My Metro (excuse me, *Modern UI*) screen looks like this.

My Desktop looks identical to my Win7 desktop - unlike Bog I imported literally everything and my install took about 2ish hours.

The desktop is still where I spend most of my time, but I honestly love the apps more. The Netflix app is beautiful, the Messaging app is great, and I can't wait for a full Facebook app (which is inevitable, I'd imagine). The Twitter app I use (MetroTwit) is solid and reminds me of TweetDeck before it sucked. I wish the Mail app was as full featured as Outlook (and similarly, wish Outlook was an app), and the Maps app is obviously inferior to Google Maps, though again I don't see that making an appearance any time soon.

Downsides: Shortcuts are great but there's not enough hints about them; I still have to go online to figure out what some of them are when I know there's obviously a shortcut for something and can't figure out what it is. The tutorial that exists when you start up is too brief; non-tech savvy users are still going to be baffled by this OS when they first boot it up. It's possible I skipped more of it though; mine showed me that I had to move a mouse into the corner about three times and then went away, possibly because my install went too quickly. Also not all 7 programs immediately work with 8, I've had to run "Check Local Data" and "Repair Install" on a couple of things to get them to work.

Overall: I love it, but there's no reason to upgrade if you're content with 7. I love the smartphone world and love to see desktop OSes taking strides towards smartphone-esque apps; in the computing world it helps me focus on something much more than having a whole bunch of things on the desktop does (hence my desire for Office 2013 to have app options). But if you don't like apps or like to keep your phone and computer life separate, stick with 7.

Quick Edit: I'm noticing some kinks with a few apps regarding scrolling using the mouse wheel; this clearly indicates an optimized touch interface, which isn't surprising, but it still sucks.

Double Edit: Looks like the "Friends" app is the Facebook app. I dig.
Make good choices

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:31 am

Love both of your reviews, guys. Really gave me a few good impressions. ;)

And Bog, thanks for the Ninite thing. That's definitely going to be useful at some point.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:59 am

Yeah Ninite is god, I use the Lifehacker one whenever they put out their apps/programs of the year list
Make good choices

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 am

>vlc
>winamp

scrub

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:11 am

Winamp has Milkdrop which is pretty much the best thing in the world when you're high; VLC does what I need it to do and I see no need to replace it with MPC or anything else
Make good choices

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 am

I don't understand why anyone would want phone-style apps on a desktop or laptop. Talk about gimmicky.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Well, for one, Microsoft would want them because taking a cut from selling them in a walled garden is profitable for Apple.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:42 am

I mean for the user.

Upon further use, I'm getting used to it, but I still think there's no point upgrading if you don't have a touch screen. Even some Metro buttons have "tap here" which indicates that it was never meant for a mouse. Beyond the performance boost (and I am likely the only person on WWN to give a crumpets enough for it to be worth upgrading) there is little for you here. I haven't downloaded any Metro apps and probably never will - I don't like living in walled gardens if I don't have to.

To be honest it feels like I'm having to work against it to do things the way I want do it. (Which is exactly why I stopped using OS X)

Benches
Left 4 Dead 2 / Source engine, first level of No Mercy: 138FPS (7: 131FPS) 1080p, maxed everything
Crysis, first level until sunrise view: 53FPS (7: 48FPS) 1080p, DX10, 0AA, 16AF, everything else maxed
3dMark06: 6243 (7: 6102)

Not bad for a £25 software upgrade.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:46 am

Alright. new laptop. Windows 8. So far, it's more my internet fudging up but the app thing is disorienting.

Edit: But they made skype unusable, am downloading old version.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 am

Skype works for me. Set up your Metro screen like mine (see review) and treat it as a glorified Start menu.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 am

I just found an app that gives me access to every single classic Tom & Jerry episode for free. This is fudge amazing.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:08 pm

Sorry for triple post, but I've just read this review and it's pretty much exactly how I feel about Windows 8, but better-worded.

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Okay so today I had the option to try full-feature Win8 (not RT which I've been tinkering with for a week-plus now since my girlfriend has a Surface) on a touch-screen enabled computer.

Bog you were right. If I had the money to buy a touch-based monitor I would run out and grab one right now because it's just astounding how much faster and enjoyable it is on a touch device. Knowing all the keyboard shortcuts makes my experience just as fast, but not as FUN.
Make good choices

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I thought fun with computers was set aside for the hipster Apple crowd
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 pm

onewaystreet wrote:I thought fun with computers was set aside for the hipster Apple crowd
I hate this way of stereotypical thinking. I had a Mac. It was fun to use only for eye-candy. To have proper fun on a computer, I really need a more open platform. (And to spend less time getting fairly mundane things to work - why Apple won't include the ability to play WMAs is beyond me.)

That's not to say that I dislike OSX, I just find it frustrating after using a much more liberal platform for 15 years.

ThrawnFett

Post by ThrawnFett » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 am

onewaystreet wrote:I thought fun with computers was set aside for the hipster Apple crowd
I use a Mac for video editing. Does this make me a hipster?
Wow. We went from a cynical look at history repeating itself and Pichu swearing to Veggie Tales. Thrawn is definitely online. ~Pichu
You know, I have this feeling that one day your sig will be nothing but an archive of witticisms I've made over the years. ~Pichu
"Frankly, I wish that everybody was a little more like you. We'd certainly see less asinine behaviour all over the world." -Terragent

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:28 am

There's an Apple-using crowd that's not hipsters. I mean no offense.

It's just the only time I've ever heard of an operating system being "fun" though was during the Mac vs. PC commercials. So really they're just perpetuating their own stereotype.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

ThrawnFett

Post by ThrawnFett » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:45 am

I'm not offended. I was just curious if your view was "All apple users are hipsters" or "Hipsters use apples."

And honestly, I enjoy the fact that I use an Apple for actual practical purposes. Not just because it's "cool". Does that make me super hipster in a way?
Wow. We went from a cynical look at history repeating itself and Pichu swearing to Veggie Tales. Thrawn is definitely online. ~Pichu
You know, I have this feeling that one day your sig will be nothing but an archive of witticisms I've made over the years. ~Pichu
"Frankly, I wish that everybody was a little more like you. We'd certainly see less asinine behaviour all over the world." -Terragent

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 am

If works for you, use it. I find it irratating. I'm fairly sure it's not because I was brought up on DOS/Windows, as I find most Linux distros really nice.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:16 am

I think hipster is an overused, ugly word. Most people don't buy things because they're not mainstream, people buy things because they like them.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:23 am

Yeah well, those people are wrong. fudge sheep, following their own desires.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 am

What if their desire is to be a hipster?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:41 am

daisy wrote:why Apple won't include the ability to play WMAs is beyond me
Because it's a proprietary Microsoft format that'd likely cost Apple a metric buttload to licence out of the box. If you're desperate for WMA playback the official solution is Flip4Mac, provided by Microsoft.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am

There's no excuse for lack of FLAC support in iTunes though.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Xenesis wrote:
daisy wrote:why Apple won't include the ability to play WMAs is beyond me
Because it's a proprietary Microsoft format that'd likely cost Apple a metric buttload to licence out of the box. If you're desperate for WMA playback the official solution is Flip4Mac, provided by Microsoft.
Flip4Mac didn't work in iTunes, at least for me.

MS got Apple's ridiculous AAC format supported. Why can't Apple?

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am

Okay so I reinstalled 8 to see if 8.1 makes it suitable for my computing needs. (Phrased that carefully as I believe that 8 is a brilliant tablet OS, but a terrible desktop/laptop OS.) Will report back after a couple of days usage. Sadly I will have to stick with it this time, like it or not, as DirectX 11.2 is going to be exclusive.

McTool, you still a fanboy?

EDIT: omfg I forgot how much crap this OS comes with. Crapware, adware and shovelware coming out of my arse. Thank goodness one of the new "features" is the ability to remove anything that isn't required for operation. I swear half of the bundled Metro apps are just giant interactive adverts for the 360.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Uh, Apple's got nothing at all to do with AAC apart from the fact that they embraced it early. They certainly didn't play any role in developing it.

I find it interesting that you claim that OS X in particular is a less "liberal" operating system than the various Windows iterations - I find it quite the reverse. In OS X the user is directly involved in the installation and execution of pretty much every program they're likely to use. They can choose where to install them and the "uninstallation" process consists of simply deleting said program.

In Windows everything is hidden behind a veil of obfuscation and secrecy; half of the files that get installed go to hidden directories, and more often than not the business of uninstallation involves having to mess around with the godawful mess that is the registry (and if you do try to drag-and-drop uninstall a program without manually monkeying around with its registry entry then chances are you've just made it impossible for the installer to run again, because the registry will tell it that the program is already installed).