Pokemon Sun and Moon. W00t, or something.

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Re: Pokemon Sun and Moon. W00t, or something.

Post by Bonesy » Thu May 19, 2016 4:32 pm

lol

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu May 19, 2016 5:10 pm

FRLG is... different. Because of the way stats work things tend to be a little harder. Onix gets rock tomb which is very problematic. Back when it spammed bide you could just load a pile of stat drops on it. VS.Seeker makes everything better though, and you don't have to battle Misty before you get it. Another way to take down Starmie is to have a strong Charmeleon and gamble with mega kick.

Bottom line is that the games are pretty easy indeed if you know enough to use various exploits. HGSS Miltank falters in front of a single Ekans with intimidate for example. I always have a good time playing around with stat drops afterwards.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Sat May 21, 2016 5:54 am

Rowlet hype. That is all.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat May 21, 2016 7:13 am

Dragonite wrote:Another way to take down Starmie is to have a strong Charmeleon and gamble with mega kick.
I always just get a Pikachu in the forest and use the bug catchers to get it up to speed with my starter.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:35 am

Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon May 23, 2016 2:20 pm

very cute
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:58 am

Bog's going to enjoy this..
Spoiler: show
It's a ghost craving the attention Pikachu gets for it's cuteness.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:01 am

that is amazing

new favorite pokemon

does it abduct kids too, like the balloon pokemon and hypnos?

because it looks like it
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:41 am

They should just give up.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 am

You don't give up on your cash cows.
My sig is a void.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:32 am

why would they give up now?

pokemon has cast "revive" on nintendo
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:51 am

"revive" on nintendo ip on mobile you mean

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:42 am

The mainline Pokemon games have been declining in sales ever since R/B with a slight recovery for X/Y. Part of the reason Go has been such a hit is because it's limited itself to the original 150. I can guarantee you if they shoehorned in every POS design they've come up with since 3rd gen it wouldn't have even been half as successful.

They need to give up on trying to come up with new pokes and concentrate on the reason most people love Pokemon: nostalgia. Isn't that Nintendo's entire business model anyway? If they really want to be innovative they could do something insanely original and put an actual story in. "What's that? A story? In an adventure game? Whatever next!"

Q. how do you get a mellenial on a bus
A. poke him on
hahaha
Last edited by daisy on Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:50 am

Nope, that's irrelevant

I know it's hard to accept for old core gamers like you and me but mobile is where the users and the money is nowadays.

If you manage to make a hit game on mobile the numbers are absurd compared to making a regular hit game on console.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 am

That's essentially what I said, albeit indirectly. Nintendo was/(is?) scared of entering the mobile space because they know it will destroy the only reason anyone really buys a 3DS. Play it safe with the only 150/250 Pokemon normal people actually care about and you're guaranteed droves of 25-year-old tools like me and you.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 am

If only I were 25 year young and cared about pokemon :(

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:46 am

lol

I thought I didn't. But Go came out and I realised I didn't leave Pokemon - Pokemon left me. :)

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:17 am

251 is my personal magic number for 'it feels right'. My first game was Silver, so I'm a johto fanboy first. I like gen I, but golden age literally lasted until late in gen II. It's probably the freshness and wonder thar wore off a bit by then, but that was always bound to happen. Everything else that caused a craze hit the same fate,
Even with declining sales, it stills sells a lot though, and the new games reel new kids in, and keep the anime, cards, and dolls going. The quality of the core games remained good, and the permanent fanase remains large. Of course the large group of adulfs that are specifically fond of that first magic phase 18-14 years ago dwarfs it, but pokemania was just that crazy with most kids liking it. I don't think there's been any mismanagement, it just that the large amount of new concepts will feel alien if one loses interest. Stating the current amount of Pokemon has a 100% sucess rate to startle people if I feel like it(it is fun).

Go also really amplifies the core concept of exploring and discovery really well. This positive feel always has remained Pokemon's strength, and being wrapped up in ingress reminds people of it. It's a fleeting magic for most people, and Go will not last long once people have gotten used to it, but it's really potent until that time.

It's not very likely to specifically grip you again Bog. Not a bad thing though. It either is a retro thing for people they are fond of, or they are hardcore. The fakechu ghost seems to have been a not to this whole effect. It's a poor creature pandering in vain for attention, but comes across as a old forgotten toy. It's the perfect meta mon for your feelings.
The other mon being disturbingly close to pedobear just is icing on your despair(it gives dangerous hugs and has warning signs). Muhahaha.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:03 am

Have some empathy. For the younger kids Gen III or IV or V was their first and most nostalgic one.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:11 am

Dragonite wrote:It's not very likely to specifically grip you again Bog. Not a bad thing though. It either is a retro thing for people they are fond of, or they are hardcore. The fakechu ghost seems to have been a not to this whole effect. It's a poor creature pandering in vain for attention, but comes across as a old forgotten toy. It's the perfect meta mon for your feelings.
The other mon being disturbingly close to pedobear just is icing on your despair(it gives dangerous hugs and has warning signs). Muhahaha.
No they just look like something a 6 year old would draw for a design-your-own-Pokemon competition.

Upon closer inspection I'm now convinced that the one on the right is just a Japanese-y parody of Pikachu. Not even the modern Pokemon designers are that tasteless.
Linkman wrote:Have some empathy. For the younger kids Gen III or IV or V was their first and most nostalgic one.
fudge the children. Them with their hold B to run, their organised inventory, their swanky 3D graphics, etc. Pussies. Back in my day the pixels were the size of watermelons and to see said pixels I had to position my Gameboy in front of a light source. If V was your first gen you shouldn't even have a smartphone.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:48 pm

Dragonite is correct. It's worth noting though that the first game for everybody will mark their most nostalgic generation, and that number of Pokémon will feel 'right'.

Indeed, most of us have grown out of it. It still carries a large nostalgy factor, but the only reason I'm recently more interested in Pokémon is that because I want to sell that stockpile of cards I have one day (and really needed to take better care of my rarer cards) and because the Go hype grazes me even if I do not join the party myself. But that'll be over soon. I occassionally play on Smogon for the nostalgy factor - (too lazy to actually buy a game and breed/level things, ew, talk about boring game mechanics) but not even nearly enough to get an actual decent ladder rating between the resets. Shows how much I care. ^
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:51 pm

daisy wrote:No they just look like something a 6 year old would draw for a design-your-own-Pokemon competition.
It's amazing how consistent they've been with that since Gen 1.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:42 am

Xenesis wrote:
daisy wrote:No they just look like something a 6 year old would draw for a design-your-own-Pokemon competition.
It's amazing how consistent they've been with that since Gen 1.
Name one

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:11 am

daisy wrote:
Xenesis wrote: It's amazing how consistent they've been with that since Gen 1.
Name one
Voltorb
My sig is a void.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:16 am

grimer
lickitung
jynx (magmar is right up there too, the humanoid pokemon designs were kinda awkward)

i mean i love them but yeah these were not the height of pokemon design. if i wanted to be real picky i could probably find others that were not so great, especially if i tried to be 100% objective about it (i actually like voltorb though. given the pokeball's iconic design, they were a quite fitting "mimic" type monster, especially with their love for the self-destruct skill. design fits the function, i give it a pass)

and i mean, im pretty much a genwunner myself, but i can admit the designs aren't that bad. and honestly as long as there's a few A++ pokemon designs i don't consider the generation to be a wash. which there has been, consistently. other than gen 4. i felt gen 4 was pretty much worthless. the rest are good enough.
bog wrote: Upon closer inspection I'm now convinced that the one on the right is just a Japanese-y parody of Pikachu. Not even the modern Pokemon designers are that tasteless.
thats literally the joke
bog wrote:They need to give up on trying to come up with new pokes and concentrate on the reason most people love Pokemon: nostalgia. Isn't that Nintendo's entire business model anyway?
to be fair, gen 6 was basically a huge nostalgia trip, and it didn't really work too well. I really need to finish that installment, lol.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:04 am

genwunners are terrible people

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:20 am

ThunderWalker wrote: Voltorb
Voltorb's amazing. It's a freaking Pokeball, the symbol of the series.
Pkdragon wrote:grimer
lickitung
jynx (magmar is right up there too, the humanoid pokemon designs were kinda awkward)
Magmar is literally in my top 5 Pokemon of all time. Lickitung is funny af. The anime made Grimer hilarious. "MUUUUUUUK!!!!" See Sparks Fly for Magnemite. Great episode.

Jynx I can sort of understand, but you've got to love that SJW controversy.
Pkdragon wrote:
bog wrote: Upon closer inspection I'm now convinced that the one on the right is just a Japanese-y parody of Pikachu. Not even the modern Pokemon designers are that tasteless.
thats literally the joke
Yes I hadn't cottoned onto it, and I think that says a lot about what I've come to expect.

I wouldn't call myself a genwunner. Gen 2 is my favourite and imo the high point for the series. Gen 3 wasn't terrible and I probably put hundreds of hours into it, but it's where they started to decline. Gen 4/Pearl I only played through once and I remember almost nothing about it.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:31 am

gen 2/hgss had a level curve designed by a drunk crack baby

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:12 am

I don't remember it, and if 12 year old me could deal with it then it can't have been that bad.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:20 am

I have the feeling it was Gen IV that was incredibly boring and none of us followed after that.

I personally find Ruby/Sapphire to be really boring. Something about the bland music/bad routes/slow leveling, etc. But it did have some cool Pokemon that you never got to see until very late (Slaking, Salamence, Metagross, Breloom, the Regis...)

So I don't think any of them can just be dismissed!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Magmar is literally in my top 5 Pokemon of all time. Lickitung is funny af. The anime made Grimer hilarious. "MUUUUUUUK!!!!" See Sparks Fly for Magnemite. Great episode.

Magmar- I've actually always liked magmar too, but i feel if he didn't exist in the original trilogy and was a pokemon in one of the later series, he wouldn't be terribly well received. or at least he'd be one of the many pokemon ignored.

Lickitung- same with Lickitung. If Lickitung was part of, say, fourth gen, people would use him as an example of nintendo running out of ideas. I mean, what is he? He's this blobby thing... with a big tongue. That licks people. That's it. There's nothing more interesting about him, other than the fact that iirc he was a tradeable pokemon, and a bad one.

Grimer- I'm sure if I still watched the anime (lol) there'd be some episodes that would redefine how I think about certain pokemon. That defense can basically be applied equally to pokemon across all generations. As portrayed in the game, the design is pretty mediocre-to-bad, and I feel like it is something my six year old self could come up with. Except it would probably be brown, because six year old logic.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:04 pm

There is literally a Pokemon made of magma (Magcargo) that nobody gives two crumpets about because it was Gen II. You're in the right PK.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:41 pm

i really like magcargo. really, i do.

but rock/fire is a crumpets tier typing

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Pkdragon wrote:

Magmar- I've actually always liked magmar too, but i feel if he didn't exist in the original trilogy and was a pokemon in one of the later series, he wouldn't be terribly well received. or at least he'd be one of the many pokemon ignored.

Lickitung- same with Lickitung. If Lickitung was part of, say, fourth gen, people would use him as an example of nintendo running out of ideas. I mean, what is he? He's this blobby thing... with a big tongue. That licks people. That's it. There's nothing more interesting about him, other than the fact that iirc he was a tradeable pokemon, and a bad one.

Grimer- I'm sure if I still watched the anime (lol) there'd be some episodes that would redefine how I think about certain pokemon. That defense can basically be applied equally to pokemon across all generations. As portrayed in the game, the design is pretty mediocre-to-bad, and I feel like it is something my six year old self could come up with. Except it would probably be brown, because six year old logic.
Exactly. Goes for Voltorb/Electrode and probably even Diglett/Dugtrio as well. Or Jynx indeed. I doubt these would be received well if they were members of a later generation.

The opposite would also be true; what if Klefki would be a Generation 1 Pokémon? It'd be likely better received as well.
My sig is a void.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:54 pm

Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Nobody remembers Tangela. Golbat is also rather wacky if you think about it. The design arguments never really holds it for me. Haxorus is my second favorite Dragon type, looks sleek, and is gen V.
Gen V might have had a overkill on the quirky/bulky designs, but it's always been a mix.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Y'all have no taste.
Linkman wrote:There is literally a Pokemon made of magma (Magcargo) that nobody gives two crumpets about because it was Gen II. You're in the right PK.
I like it.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:04 pm

Slugma made me have a fit of laughter the first time I saw it.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:49 am

all gens have cool pokes, all gens have trash pokes
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:36 am

What Scraggy said, although I would add that Gen II was the best simply because it had the fewest "that's dumb" pokemon and also the fewest "that's literally just an animal" pokemon.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.