Pokemon Sun and Moon. W00t, or something.

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

scraggypunk

Re: Pokemon Sun and Moon. W00t, or something.

Post by scraggypunk » Fri May 13, 2016 2:51 pm

the only reason bulbasaur is not in worst tier is for respect out of its OG status!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tepig is a fire pig, fire is good, pig is good, tepig is good x2. that's math you can't argue with

litten is the new fire starter and popplio is the new water starter. according to the internet. (rowlet is the grass one)
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri May 13, 2016 3:02 pm

The best starters are ones that are somehow turtles or tortoises.

Thus turtwig and squirtle are top tier.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri May 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Who is the little dude below Snivy, he looks so happy!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri May 13, 2016 4:05 pm

that's chespin!

it gets.................... strange
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri May 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Chespin itself is super cute, mind.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri May 13, 2016 10:59 pm

My favorite cat turned out to have died this week(my aunt's, I was visiting here when we picked it up as a stray in the snow during christmas, no kidding). So now Litten makes me feel sad now >_>
I suppose I could try this tiering stuff.. going first stage only
high: charmander, squirtle, chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Torchic, Turtwig.
Mid: Bulbasaur, Treecko, Mudkip, Chimchar(I don't like the eyes), Piplup, Fennekin, Froakie.
Kinda-low: Unova group, Chespin. For some reason I find those slighty eh, but not by much. More or less preference.

New ones:
High, Litten(I like how it is the first starter to have a dominantly dark design)
Mid: Rowlet (I like it, but it's not yet outstanding for me)
Low: Seal, yet again, not but much, but eh. I might like it better if I knew for sure it's evolutions are cooler. I just don't feel like starting out with it at this point.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat May 14, 2016 7:07 am

scraggypunk wrote:that's chespin!

it gets.................... strange

EDIT: I'm a fan of Charmander, Squirtle, Totodile, Torchic and Turtwig. I'm not a fan of grass types usually just because they are easy to find early game.
Last edited by hawkesnightmare on Sat May 14, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat May 14, 2016 8:33 am

Linkman wrote:
daisy wrote:The owl is legit the best starter they've come up with since 2nd gen, although an owl isn't exactly a grassy animal. The others are business as usual though. (ie uninspired and forced)

Have we broken the 1000-Pokemon barrier yet?

While I'm definitely a nostalgic man and I love the original startes best, there are many great starters in Gens II-VI. How about the incredibly cute Piplup?

Or Torchic!

What I hate about these starters is when their fully evolved forms are not viable competitively. It just feels like a waste of time then; like in Pokemon GSC where despite a cool design of Chikorita/Cyndaquil/Totodile, it made no sense to use any of their evolutions.
Empoleon and blazekin are used competitively, blazekin even got banned as a result of his hidden ability speed boost.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat May 14, 2016 8:36 am

Also draggy, serperior (snivy's final evolution) could have the ability contrary making it an amazing attacker. Each time you use leaf storm you harshly raise your special attack which makes it popular competitively.

It also learns coil as one of the best stat boosting moves in the game.

Wait, wait, wait.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat May 14, 2016 8:42 am

Personal favourites are: bulbasaur, cyndaquil, mudkip, turtwig, snivy, that gen VI water one.

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat May 14, 2016 9:52 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Also draggy, serperior (snivy's final evolution) could have the ability contrary making it an amazing attacker. Each time you use leaf storm you harshly raise your special attack which makes it popular competitively.

It also learns coil as one of the best stat boosting moves in the game.
I'm well aware of his abilities(respect your elders with a pokemon username). Swampert and Infernape used to be very good too, and Greninja is also powerful. Charizard was granted two especially OP forms by fan demand. Mostly was referring to their designs. No chance of Chikorita being high-tier if I'm talking competive :P

But seriously, Charizard. I always have liked him, but it's a mess in how fanatic some of his fans are, and the oblivious pandering to him and other Gen I aspects in recent years.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat May 14, 2016 10:06 am

he's a little op in mafia games too
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat May 14, 2016 1:26 pm

my ratings are based entirely on aesthetics. i don't care about power levels in pokemon
wisdom

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat May 14, 2016 2:19 pm

scraggypunk wrote:my ratings are based entirely on aesthetics. i don't care about power levels in pokemon
AESTHETICS

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun May 15, 2016 1:00 am

I still maintain that Quagsire is the best Pokemon of all time.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue May 17, 2016 4:10 pm

[background=][/background]
daisy wrote:I still maintain that Quagsire is the best Pokemon of all time.
The competetive section has recently discovered his ability to wall anything with a boosting move and that doesn't have a grass type move.

Wait, wait, wait.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed May 18, 2016 2:38 am

Yeah that's why. In my limited experience of battling human players, I haven't come across anything that can deal with it once the grass type is gone.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed May 18, 2016 3:02 am

wooper is better than quagsire actually
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed May 18, 2016 6:40 am

It can be taken down with pokemon that can pierce it's ability though, and it doesn't like absurdly powerful special sweepers that don't boost (Had to look him up)

Offensively it's a bit average though.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed May 18, 2016 7:40 am

Yeah I would imagine it wouldn't do too well against Alakazam or any special ice sweeper.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 am

Or in doubles.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed May 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Or, according to smogon, a special mind sweeper using stored power. Eventually turns into a nuke regardless of your special attack.
Having quirky mons like that be good is great though.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu May 19, 2016 2:07 am

To be quite honest I don't get the Bulbasaur hate. He is a baller. Design is great, art is great, he is OG, and his voice in the anime was raspy and cool.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu May 19, 2016 2:30 am

Bulba and Ivy are great. Venusaur is so-so though. Basically all of Bulba's energetic charm is gone, even the face is rather meh.
On the subject of evolutionary fails, Quilava my favorite fire mid evo, while Typhosion is okay, but the design has both to much bulk and rage compared to Quilava who somehow manages to look cute, cool, and graceful when the flames are on. Chimchar also goes through many body changes, but Infernape looks quite cool once I got used to him and I saw him animated.
Other starters also have design problems, but I don't care quite as much to go in detail now. Okay, I can be bothered to say Dewott looks cool compared to Oshawott, but Samorott completely changes the body type again.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu May 19, 2016 2:51 am

Linkman wrote:To be quite honest I don't get the Bulbasaur hate. He is a baller. Design is great, art is great, he is OG, and his voice in the anime was raspy and cool.
bulbs is mondo cool, but not as cool as the others. also sebulba is the easy mode pick for an already very easy game
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu May 19, 2016 3:28 am

I'd argue Squirtle is even easier if you are willing to teach it extra moves though. Misty defaults to spamming tackle on a water type, and Wartortle outpowers starmie doing just that.
Meanwhile, Hax Razor leaf is a nice tool to have, but it doesn't get anything else super-effective, and quite a bit resists it. Early on, Vine whip PP sucks, and status moves are awkward to rely on. Blastoise with dig/EQ,Ice beam, and perhaps body slam or strength destroys 99% of the game, and everything if you solo it. Can use bubblebeam before sure. Bulba is still not hard, but I don't get why it's so famed over Squirtle.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu May 19, 2016 4:31 am

Bulbasaur as a starter allows you two guaranteed wins against the gyms with hardly any training, while Squirtle only allows one. The only issue with Bulbasaur is that it's near impossible to get that extra starting cash from Gary at the beginning. I do prefer Squirtle over Bulbasaur mostly because by end game my team will have something other than grass to counter water.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu May 19, 2016 4:36 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:Bulbasaur as a starter allows you two guaranteed wins against the gyms with hardly any training, while Squirtle only allows one. The only issue with Bulbasaur is that it's near impossible to get that extra starting cash from Gary at the beginning. I do prefer Squirtle over Bulbasaur mostly because by end game my team will have something other than grass to counter water.
What are you talking about dude, just growl the Charmander.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu May 19, 2016 4:37 am

The best mon to have though to hack your way through any game remains breloom though.

Bulbasaur was always my favourite though, status abuse being my main tactic.

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu May 19, 2016 4:54 am

While we're on the subject, Bulbasaur had the weirdest, ugliest sprite when you had him:

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu May 19, 2016 7:05 am

I should put work in the 3ds releases. I was a yellow kid back in the day, so I'm rusty on starters. Charmandee has a decent time after misty though, fire,ground,flying,SLASH. Good times. Another factor is that there's a ton of stuff to do before taking down Misty is truly required. While starmie is a menace I don't agree hyping up Bulba to much. It's just so one-dimensional compared to the other two. I guess it's because Vaporeon and dugtrio can handle the rest or something?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 am

Discussing in-game usefulness is a bit of a moot point, you can do with all three.

Is what I should say, but when I attempted a Nuzlocke of Fire Red this was actually rather hard. Specially the part you're talking about, Cerulean right before Misty.

There is no good training spot there and you're basically left with the option of facing your rival or Misty, both of which can definitely wipe out one of your pokes on a crit. In that case picking Bulbasaur is a clear advantage, cause you can wall Starmie well enough with it and Charmander/Charmeleon decently if you lucked out with a Geodude.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu May 19, 2016 10:48 am

Linkman wrote:
hawkesnightmare wrote:Bulbasaur as a starter allows you two guaranteed wins against the gyms with hardly any training, while Squirtle only allows one. The only issue with Bulbasaur is that it's near impossible to get that extra starting cash from Gary at the beginning. I do prefer Squirtle over Bulbasaur mostly because by end game my team will have something other than grass to counter water.
What are you talking about dude, just growl the Charmander.
Or restart if you lose.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu May 19, 2016 11:42 am

It's also worth mentioning that while there are quite a billion other water types and a few solid grass options (Vileplume and Exeggutor, mostly) the fire types that aren't Charizard are pretty lame. I guess gen 1 Flareon is kind of not entirely lame since it gets 110 special attack?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu May 19, 2016 12:51 pm

They come in pretty late in Vulpix/Growlithe (in Route whatever near Vermillion/Celadon, I think) or even later in Magmar or Moltres.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu May 19, 2016 2:58 pm

bleh i want to use a ground type on ORAS but Sandshrew is the soonest not-geodude one i can get lol

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu May 19, 2016 3:12 pm

arcanine is pretty good gen 1 for ingame stuff cause dig gets 100 BP and you're running off of 110 attack. slam a firestone on a growlithe and go crazy!

actually, dig in gen 1 overall is just a stupidly good move that lets you do disgusting things with otherwise crumpets pokemon.

if you want a good laugh, put dig on a paras and watch leech seed/dig/stun spore leave the AI completely fudge baffled. it'll even use cut at the same time!

you can pretty much do anything you want in game unless you're trying to do something really silly like send out charmeleon to solo misty. even then it's just a matter of clearing more of the game and then going back to beat misty once you've gained another 5 levels.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu May 19, 2016 3:13 pm

wow my avatar is so perfect

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu May 19, 2016 3:15 pm

daisy wrote:Or restart if you lose.
Or just use that free potion in your PC at the start of the game.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu May 19, 2016 3:17 pm

woah there buddy, that's a little wild. what if i need that potion on route 1?