The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Alecat

Re: The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

Post by Alecat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm assuming they'd make him available as paid DLC, since they're saying the "free from registering both games" thing is going to be limited time.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:19 pm

the best part about this news is that it opens the door for MORE DLC CHARACTERS

isaac plz

either Golden Sun or Binding are fine.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 pm

monkymeet wrote:the best part about this news is that it opens the door for MORE DLC CHARACTERS

isaac plz

either Golden Sun or Binding are fine.
Golden Sun is pretty much dead as far as the Japanese market is concerned. I'd love it, but it probably won't happen.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have more Ridley fans to put down before they go further into denial and start making elaborate theories about how he's going to be a DLC character.
"We are all equally real and unreal."

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:46 pm

I heard that there weren't files for Ridley in the game, but there files for something called "Zero Suit Ridley".
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:03 am

GOOD NEWS

THIS GAME fudge' OWNS
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:27 am

:D
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:37 am

The Big fudge Courses like Great Cave Offensive are terrible if you get them on random for 1v1s, but other than that almost all the stages are super great and I love them. Dark Pit's unlock fight is on Palutena's Temple and I don't think I've ever cursed so loudly.

ALSO THE GOLDEN SUN REMIX IS STILL THERE FOR NORFAIR

THE DREAM IS ALIVE
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:53 am

It looks like it's really, really good.

How's the online McTool?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:28 am

Haven't tried it yet because Online with randoms was awful on the 3DS version; the For Fun/For Glory nonsense remains a pretty dumb idea. I'm waiting for a few more friends to pick it up before I actually give the online a fair shake.

100% Objective Review after One Weekend

How much have you done, McTool?

Unlocked all the characters; the unlock methods are about 10 million times better than the 3DS version (ROB isn't "complete 100 vs matches or lolwhoknows anymore!). Missing Pac-Man's stage, because it's "play each Smash Tour course once," and literally no one wants to play Smash Tour with me (because it is dumbbbbb). I'll grind that out when I get home today. Outside that, played every mode at least once (I have done the "small" Smash Tour stage), played several 1v1s with a housemate, done a decent amount of Event Mode. I have *not* done 8-Player Smash yet, but I'm hungry for it. Also, I have that Gamecube adapter and have been playing with the One True Controller.

MODES, YO

Okay so first thing's first: Smash/Multiplayer is literally the same thing we've all done a million times. Nothing has changed from the 3DS version outside 8-player and some additional customization options. That seems like a big deal, but it's really not. You fire up the game, it's sitting right there, you play it, you love it. Your friend asks "why the hell is Dark Pit even here" and you put the cursor over Dr. Mario and Lucina and they go "fair point." You follow up with "Sakurai has a huge boner for his own franchise" and he goes "yeah double good point."

Classic mode is I think better than its 3DS incarnation. Being able to see what sort of items you'll get from any given fight is really excellent, and collecting characters to use as tag team match partners is a cool aspect that prompts you to join larger fights. Risk/reward is greatly increased over the 3DS version, and that is Good.

All-Star is literally 3DS All Star but in reverse (newest to oldest). It's the same thing it's always been, although I think older games had you just doing 1v1s the whole time and 3DS/Wii U have you handling three enemies at once (they are dumbed down, as a result). The inclusion of a Fairy as one of the health items is meannn (Fairies will only heal if you are over 100%), because it means you have to consider whether or not you want to chance the next stage at 70% or not.

Event Mode is great; the grid layout and progression is pretty cute. It's probably the best "single-player" Smash mode that Smash has done, if we disregard Classic/All Star. Easily trumps Subspace and Adventure Mode in Melee. Event matches in Melee were unlocked in chunks; here they're kind of one at a time and have a lot more nuance to them (also: difficulties!). Event Mode also has these cool "bonus goals," where if you complete some additional stipulation (beat on Normal or higher in 60 seconds or less, complete on Hard mode, don't take damage, etc.) you get a bonus item, usually tied to one of the characters involved. Smash Run is a close second here, but the fact that Smash run only has one course knocks it down a peg compared to the sheer variety of Event Mode matches.

The Target Test/Home Run Contest/Duck Hunt are... there, I guess. Duck Hunt is new and cute, but it mostly exists as an obnoxious Challenge block.

Master Orders/Crazy Orders are underwhelming, I think. Crazy Orders are really frustrating with the risk/reward aspect - moreso than Classic - but the rewards are generally better. Master Orders are easier, but tend to be boring as hell. It's a downer of a mode, and I think would be about ten times better if Crazy Orders wasn't so expensive to enter. That said, Classic is great - as stated above - and has the potential to drop Crazy Orders tickets so you don't have to drop five grand to enter. So if you're willing to run Classic a bunch (and I actually want to, for once), you can get some Sweet Stuff.

Customization

Customization remains goofy, but the idea of different "variants" of moves is really nifty. I think being able to buff your characters with items is dumbbbb, and all the items I get are going to be fed straight to my amiibos (amiibii?) once they show up next week. (Also, amiibo review next week) That said, one of Ganondorf's alt moves for Warlock Punch is Warlock Sword, so FINALLY WE GET THAT GODDAMN SWORD.

My Music is back, as stated above, and is still Pretty Great.

Item Switch and Stage Select are the same. Stage Select is still locked until you have every stage. I continue to hate this, because it means until you unlock everything you have the chance of hitting Palutena's in 1v1s. Or 75m. Or Great Cave. Or Big Battlefield. Or OH MY GOD THE HUGE STAGES SHOULD REALLY JUST BE FOR FIVE+ PLAYERS ONLY NINTENDO.

But how does it feeeelllll?

It's sure not Brawl, and it's sure not Melee. It certainly occupies that middle ground, and I'd argue it's a tad faster than the 3DS version. Characters who were tough or cumbersome in the 3DS version are a little easier to control here (what up Shulk), and the added screen real estate means other little niceties exist (again, Shulk, with the Monado form being shown next to his character portrait).

Should I buy it?

God yes.

Should I buy a Wii U for it?

You should buy a Wii U for not just Smash, but also Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD (if you want to play HD Wind Waker legally and are not going to be a crumpets about Dolphin), Bayonetta 2, DKC Tropical Freeze, and honestly just the best console-exclusive library right now.

Should I pay $100 for the stupid Gamecube Adapter since it's sold out just about everywhere?

No. Cut that out. Wait until it's $20 again. GCN controllers still only work with Smash, so that's an important thing to keep in mind if you don't think the Gamecube Controller is the Best Controller (because you are a heathen).

How are those new GameCube controllers, by the way?

"Hey Iwata, what do we do with this giant storehouse of GameCube controllers from 2002 we found that feel exactly the same?" "Scrub off the GameCube logo, put a flaming Smash symbol on it, throw 'em in boxes, and sell them to nostalgia diehards." "Stellar."

UPDATES AFTER ANOTHER NIGHT, YO

1) Pac-Land is *awful and terrible*; I'd put forth that it's the worst stage in Smash history. Yes, worse than Poke Floats. Come right the fudge at me.

2) Smash Tour remains solidly Un-Fun in single player, but is an incredible way to farm custom moves. In general, custom moves seem to unlock *much* faster on Wii U than on 3DS. I think part of my dislike of Smash Tour is that the characters you "collect" are given random movesets, and you don't know what the hell you're in for until a match starts. The other part I think is that one of my friends made a John Cena Mii and I keep losing to John Cena.

3) Event Mode is still great, and is the biggest "One More Try" mode I've found in a long time. In addition, I've sort of become accustomed to not necessarily beating a level with the full "Goal" immediately.

4) Duck Hunt is not a real mode, btw, it is called "pick the Duck Hunt stage and throw down with your friends only killing ducks"

5) The game seems to keep you posted on the amount of custom moves you've unlocked as part of the milestones system (I recently dinged 50, I think?). This is excellent, because it means you can wait until you have everything unlocked before going *in* on some nonsense.

6) If you do not immediately set the main menu to Melee/Melee (2) and turn off everything else GET OUT OF MY HOUSE
Make good choices

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:21 am

Trying some for glory 1 on 1. To nobody's surprise, I tasted a lot of mud. Managed to win once though. Only having a WII U gamepad doesn't help my case, especially since I keep forgetting to change the custom setup(AKA move the grab button to somewhere I can adapt to easier, ZR/LR sucks for that). I generally suck dealing with defense, and using grabs properly. I was against a skilled opponent who mostly was sucking at grabs too, so eh. Any tips for getting a little bit better?

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:50 am

if you actually want to get better, the easiest ways to start are:

1) play a single character.
2) make sure you can control your character.

if you have to think about inputs at all during a match you don't have control over your character.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:15 am

Playing Smash on the Gamepad.

Please end my suffering.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:41 am

Yeah, that's the issue. The gamepad isn't the best for really fast inputs,so getting anywhere good is going to be difficult. I don't need to be THAT good, but basic mastery of the game would be nice.

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:52 am

Anyone got any amiiboes? It does seem more like a gimick idea, but it is fun training them and collection awards (money, custom moves / trophies) from them. The first amiibo I got was Peach, who has around +100 defense. Very amusing watching her beat my brother, twice! I also got Captain Falcon and for Xmas, Diddy Kong.

The situation of some of them are crazy. 2 weeks ago, I saw "Wii Fit Trainer" in Game (UK Shop), and my brother basically said get it. Still have it, unopened. Trying to get one now at the retail price is very difficulty. £20 on amazon and ebay. Although Toys R Us have one in Stevenage - Cambs, which you have to pick up. Might make a trip there.

Villager is another rare one, but I did find one in Argos (Peterbough - Cambs), which my brother brought. I've seen people say Marth is Rare, but I saw 3 today in Game (Tunbridge Wells - Kent), so getting hold of him isn't that bad. One of them actually had a bent sword.

Little Mac on the other hand, I've not seen anywhere and is sold out everywhere. Ebay is your best bet. Really strange as Toys R Us (Peterbough - Cambs), had all of wave 2, + some wave 1, but no Little Mac.

Since they are region free, you could try nin-ningame.com. You do have to pay right away, With the cheapest postage, it comes to £15. I pre-ordered Rosaline & Luma, just to be safe.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:13 pm

radioshadow dude welcome back

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm not much of a collector, but my partner and I got some Amiibos as Christmas presents (We've got a Zelda, Capn Falcon, Peach and Donkey Kong). I haven't had much time to spend training them yet, but it is an entertaining gimmick.

The prospect of dogfighting using amiibos amuses me, though.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:48 pm

I has Gamecube adapter.

Suffering has officially ended.

I still hate Christmas though.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:25 pm

I tried this out last week. Seemed surprisingly fun!

Like, yeah, it's not melee, but it's fast enough that I think it will result in good competitive play.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:08 am

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:08 pm

sister bought a wii u + smash and i can play it a bunch now which is cool.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:04 am

congrats on piggybacking off your sister
the dream

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:40 am

Hey, that's $300 that he doesn't have to spend now. I wouldn't complain.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Really thinking of buying a WiiU because of this!

So Marth or Lucina? I'm leaning Marth.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:15 pm

ike
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:15 pm

From what I've played (admittedly not that much):

- Diddy feels like the cheapest, most powerful character. I don't think he's Meta-Knight good, but definitely among the best. Quick, strong aerials, good grab, projectiles, decent recovery... the whole shebang.

- Duck Hunt is good and janky. High potential!

- I was annoyed at Marth feeling nerfed. I used to juggle bitches upwards like it was nobody's game in Melee, and now that felt so ugh! U-tilt feels nerfed, spike is almost gone (though I did get a single Ken combo on a someone being on high percentage, I think Falco). Range is reduced, forward smash feels weakened, all around it was like "UGH WHY IS IT SO NERFED". But! Side-Bs feel amazing. Safe, quick, high knockback. Grabs are still better than most characters. Up smash feels much, much better than melee, and forward airs still work--even if they're not as good as melee, they still work. And interestingly enough, the counter now is a kill move! I see what Sakurai and company were going for, improving the defensive moves and reducing offensive potential.

- Lucina is interesting. I think she and Marth will become the Fox/Falco of this generation, they'll both be viable. It doesn't really change that much between them, though I feel Marth is the superior character in the long run.

- Jiggs is BACK yo! I've had a hard time hitting rests but that BACK-AIR is soooo satisfying. Definitely strong this time around.

- Sheik is quick and annoying. Never been a Sheik main but she looks like she might be useful this time around.

- Ness is somehow amazing. I don't know why or how but every time I faced a Ness I felt like it was kicking my ass.

- I feel Shulk is too slow to ever become useful.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:36 am

I've gotten maybe 20 hours in in the past ten days or so, combined with watching a few smash 4 tournaments. As far as I can see:
  • There are no rushdown characters. This is important so that the game is fun to spectate. When watching melee fox, falco, or captain falcon, it's often very obvious to a new viewer that their movements are unattainable to the viewer. The combo strings are also usually longer than anything the viewer has actually executed themselves. When watching smash 4, you get to watch an extended string of trades in the neutral game. These are almost always less fun to watch than they are to actually play, and even in melee these match ups are disliked. There's just something about extended comboes and punishes that makes the game exciting to the viewer.
  • Perhaps explaining mechanically why there are no rushdown characters, in smash 4 I can't do the same things I could out of a dash animation as I could in melee. In melee I can turn around on a dime, raise a shield instantly, grab, upsmash, jump, rollback, wavedash back, and probably some other stuff I'm also missing. in smash 4, out of my dash, I can... grab, jump and roll back as far as I can tell. In particular, there's no way for me to feint - I can't pretend to enter my opponent's range and quickly leave again in order to bait out a move.
  • There are some fairly obvious balance issues similar to the ones we had right when brawl came out. Diddy Kong is obviously much easier to use than the rest of the cast. There's also the big fear that in addition to being easy Diddy Kong might just outright be the best. Brawl pretty much always had metaknight looming over its head and people are going to be vary wary of Diddy Kong doing the same thing to 4.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:15 am

If Diddy gets really out of hand he might receive a patch.. I think Sakurai wants to prevent it, but who knows, Mewtwo still needs to be patched in, so that might include other things.

Also, in a for fun 4P match there was a shulk who did literally nothing else but constant backslashes. He somehow won with a huge lead. Urgh. I'm still somewhat incompetent with the game. I set grabs on the Y button now, that seems to help a bit at least. I'm never going to be very good, but I hope I can settle for moderate eventually.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:12 pm

shulk would be easier if i could read moon runes

then i'd know what his moon runes do
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 pm

Oh, c'mon, even the beast should be able to understand SMASH. It's mostly the actual selecting that's a pain. I've used smashboards to figure out most weird mechanics though, it helps if you know what each arte debuffs.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:50 pm

This kinda helped me a bit. http://imgur.com/yKVXAM9
Makes blue pretty memorable at least! Maybe come up with a mnemonic system that works for you. I don't play/see a lot of Shulks so I haven't really had to memorise the monado arts.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:38 pm

I was annoyed at Marth feeling nerfed. I used to juggle bitches upwards like it was nobody's game in Melee, and now that felt so ugh! U-tilt feels nerfed, spike is almost gone (though I did get a single Ken combo on a someone being on high percentage, I think Falco). Range is reduced, forward smash feels weakened, all around it was like "UGH WHY IS IT SO NERFED". But! Side-Bs feel amazing. Safe, quick, high knockback. Grabs are still better than most characters. Up smash feels much, much better than melee, and forward airs still work--even if they're not as good as melee, they still work. And interestingly enough, the counter now is a kill move! I see what Sakurai and company were going for, improving the defensive moves and reducing offensive potential.
when you're a casual playing melee marth you can still juggle people and throw together strings of 3-4 nontipped moves. sometimes you'll randomly get a tipper f-smash and be amazed that you ended someone's stock at 40%, otherwise he'll play like a "fair" character. you can still abuse marth's crazy big grab range and throw them upwards to start a juggle, even if you have no idea how to do anything technical. the character is fun to play!

smash 4 marth has no combo game. he has less range, and the nontipper'd moves can't kill anyone until ridiculously high percentages. all that's left are the random tippers, which are harder to get when marth has less range relative to other characters.
---
all that being said the game is still fun and i'll probably unlock all the stages like i did for brawl before getting bored.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 pm

I guess it's because I found the idea of adjusting your fighters stats on the fly amazing, and just hounded every bit of info from the start. Really wanting to play Xenoblade myself helps, watching a LP of it now(Chugga's big one). By the time I got the game I knew the order and effects already. I'm just a nerd >_>

It does help that the movement and offensive buffs are grouped together, with shield in the middle.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:34 am

i didn't even know they debuffed stuff

i'll keep that handy the next time i play ssb4.

i haven't actually touched it since my match with imano. whatever happened to that tournament, anyway? >_>

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:04 am

Buster reducing knockback is actually in your favor at times if you're good(I aren't).Speed nerfs jumping, so you can use that for specific tactics as well. It's not that you're stuck in it longer then you want... unless you use the custom one that lock you in(in exchange for it lasting longer and stuff). The other custom is extremely short and powerful, to be complete.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:41 pm

I agree with you Sven but I feel more optimistic. I think new crumpets will come along, and the game will develop a competitive side much more fun than Brawl.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:25 pm

the reason i'm so adamant about there being nothing to discover competitively for smash 4 is that the entire smash community has lived through this before. we switched en masse from melee to brawl like good little boys and girls. we noticed right away that very few characters could string more than two moves together, and the ones that could basically only linked a single move into itself over and over. hitstun is a measure of how long you're stuck being unable to do anything when knocked into the air. nothing we did was going to change the fact that the game did not have enough hitstun to allow for comboes. a few characters had chain grabs on others and we implemented those, but holy crumpets there's a huge difference between the fudge braindead throw regrab combos brawl has vs some of the melee ones.

brawl also had some other things that were pretty embarrassing as a competitive game. metaknight's tornado? it's the thing me and my friends would spam a bunch and quickly realize we had no fun doing it. but that's okay. my playgroup was a bunch of scrubs, there's no way that competitive brawl ended up with spamming problems. but that's nitpicking and i'm starting to get mean.

i guess my point is that i already think that smash 4 has surpassed brawl as a competitive game, because brawl was a complete turd. i don't think that smash 4 has fixed the hitstun issues, but i'd expect someone like mew2king will eventually develop a way to actually edgeguard people if the top tier characters have less than 45043250832 jumps and a way to fly around the stage. and hey, i even know i'm partly wrong about being able to combo into kill moves. some characters can get them out of a throw, a few others can dash attack into aerial.

as a reminder, none of this has anything to do with how fun a game it is, etc.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:58 pm

http://kotaku.com/major-smash-tournamen ... 1682787467

friend of mine was one of the vendors at this event. whoopsie
the dream

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:00 am

The way they recovered is amazing though. Even nintendo tweeted about it.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:20 am

Streaming right now tho!

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:03 am

They were very lucky that the incident happened early on day one. If it had happened just a few hours into pools, I think the relocation would have been impossible.

Watched the finals yesterday. Man I love watching aMSa's Yoshi. And he's just such a joyful player, I love his positive energy.