The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

McTool

Re: The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

Postby McTool » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:46 am

It hurts ME (if you get codes plz help I'm not registering on Smashboards just to plea for codes there)

haha or I could get in, rad
Make good choices

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:14 am

Still no email *sigh*
"We are all equally real and unreal."

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:52 am

why does it matter if there's only 5 characters in it, only 2 of whom are actually new?
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:11 am

Pkdragon wrote:why does it matter if there's only 5 characters in it, only 2 of whom are actually new?

Mostly bragging rights.

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:16 pm

I guess Ale and I get to brag, then?

Mega Man is awesome - he can even run while shooting the mega buster, which seems a decent trade for not having a forward tilt. Villager is finicky as hell and I can't get my head around them, though Ale enjoys them.

The game in general feels pretty fast, though the 3DS controls are wonky as hell (L is the equivalent of Z on a gamecube controller, which means that all my shield reflexes are thrown out of whack) - the circle pad tries valiantly to be as useful as an analogue stick and, well, comes up short, but tbh I don't think they could have done any better with the hardware available to them. The demo's total lack of options really hurts when it extends to not being able to disable tap jumping. :/

Link and Pikachu both seem a lot faster than in Brawl; Mario seems halfway useful, which is a huge leap forward (seriously, his super jump punch has KO potential and his tilts are nuts).

Multiplayer connectivity is appallingly, shockingly terrible - as in it's not playable it's so bad. Constant disconnects and ludicrously slow (like ~5fps slow) play make it essentially unplayable. Might be an issue of different region demos talking to one another, as my 3DS is American while Ale's is Australian. Hopefully this crumpets won't be the case in the full version, because if it is then that's a serious balls-up from Nintendo.

Also being stuck with two-minute matches is really irritating, because pretty much every game just goes 1-1 and ends up with sudden death. >_>

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Postby Xenesis » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Oh, so the USA and PAL version connect? That's good to know. I didn't have any PAL codes to try with.

My only real issue with the controls is tap-jump and A=Attack,B=Special,XY = Jump rather than the AX=Jump,B=Attack,Y=Special that I'm used to.

And yeah, unless I can find anyone else to pawn the two remaining USA codes I have nearby that I can play with, I might just throw them at WWN peeps who want them.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Okay, so a second attempt met with much more success. No real hiccups, game ran smoothly, and I (mostly) won with Mega Man. I suspect that the 3DS handles interference extremely poorly.

I'll second Xen on the controls; I'd have preferred A and X as jump buttons with B as primary attack and Y for special moves (and seriously, tap jump on the circle pad is irritating as all get-out). Doing a one-to-one conversion of the buttons from the gamecube controller doesn't work when they're not laid out the same way.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:21 pm

So I got an email, but guess what happened when I tried to put in the codes?

"This code has already been used."

<_< I'm mildly upset by this.

Shift Breaker

Postby Shift Breaker » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:57 am

I've got a few codes for the demo, though I've not used any yet as I'm on a train. And you can't have any as I'm pretty sure that UK codes won't work on any other region's store.

So basically I'm just a massive tease to the majority of you.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:54 am

UK shares a region with continental Europe and Australia, so actually I'm pretty sure most users here will be able to use your codes - just fyi. ;)

McGuest

Postby McGuest » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:38 am

Q7, all the codes followed an easy to figure out format and were generated at the same time (as opposed to eShop codes) so a lot of people got hosed pretty quickly once the algorithm was figured out.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 am

McGuest wrote:Q7, all the codes followed an easy to figure out format and were generated at the same time (as opposed to eShop codes) so a lot of people got hosed pretty quickly once the algorithm was figured out.

That could have been avoided if they sent all the emails at the same time (or at least in the same few hours) instead of starting at 12pm and still be sending out emails by 12am. Now I'm even more salty.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:59 am

Patience dudes! The real game is the WiiU version anyways
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:29 am

How has this game been reviewed in Japan?

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:31 am

Linkman wrote:Patience dudes! The real game is the WiiU version anyways

as someone who doesn't own a wiiU and doesn't plan to, I can safely say the 3ds version is real enough.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:47 am

Remember when I said I didn't see a difference between Pit and Dark Pit? Well here are the differences:

Arrows are slightly stronger, but slightly harder to steer (could have been a custom move for Pit)
Side-B launches upwards diagonally instead of just straight up (could have been a custom move for Pit)
D-air sends opponents upwards instead of downwards (HOLY CRUMPETS! 10/10 BEST CLONE EV4R!)

I'm not going to say he's wasting a character slot, because that's stupid and untrue, but they could have done a lot better.

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:31 am

clones are awesome >:{

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:01 am

[youtube]JMYIsJMSxc0[/youtube]

Mii boxer/brawler's final smash is suprisingly brutal.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:07 am

Sven wrote:clones are awesome >:{

I agree, but reskins with their own slots aren't.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:36 am

Terragent wrote:UK shares a region with continental Europe and Australia, so actually I'm pretty sure most users here will be able to use your codes - just fyi. ;)

Australia actually has its own set because NoAus just has to be different.

And while I'm at it, I've got two North American demo codes left?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:51 am

Xenesis wrote:I've got two North American demo codes left

Oh hey, I happen to be in North America. I'd pray to a shrine of you every day if you gave me one of those. Ok not really, but I'd really appreciate it.
Last edited by QQQQQQQ7777777 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 am

Sure, check your PMs.

McTool

Postby McTool » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:53 am

Intense yo
Make good choices

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:53 am

QQQQQQQ7777777 wrote:
Sven wrote:clones are awesome >:{

I agree, but reskins with their own slots aren't.

meh, i'll have to play as them to comment more. i pretty much hated every clone pair in melee until i had 40hrs of gameplay or so, and then i appreciated the differences.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:57 am

Eh, Dark Pit is basically like Pichu in Melee - the Clone no one really wanted, but will live with.

Except Dark Pit has no redeeming features like being totally adorable.

Edit: Codes all gone.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:13 am

I loved Pichu. He was totally adorable.

:P
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

McTool

Postby McTool » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:28 am

Pichu took damage as a result of attacks that were otherwise exactly the same

If that's not literally the worst thing I don't know what is
Make good choices

QQQQQQQ7777777

Postby QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56 am

McTool wrote:Pichu took damage as a result of attacks that were otherwise exactly the same

Well at least he had the fun gimmick of having stronger attacks, but taking self-inflicted damage making every attack count.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:35 pm

McTool wrote:Pichu took damage as a result of attacks that were otherwise exactly the same

Since when are you all SERIOUS BUSINESS about smash?

McTool

Postby McTool » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Uh, always

I did Serious Melee in high school and it is kind of hard to erase that stuff from your mind no matter what you do

That said I've done 1v1 both omega and regular Battlefield with all character vs. all other characters at level 9 now, several 4-player FFA level 9, and no one around me has the game soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Back to Destiny
Make good choices

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Also, the S-Flag makes for a badass impromptu KOTH style game when in 4 player.

KOTH Smash is gonna be fun.

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:43 pm

you can take diff chars online but not custom moves is the best i've come up with for having some clones when we have pallete swaps. w/e, let sakurai show off in his life's work lol.

McTool

Postby McTool » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Also it means the Smash 4 roster has exactly 10 more characters than Brawl

I refuse to believe this is a coincidence

"Sakurai-san we've got 48 so far" "crumpets" "What's wrong" "NEEDS TO BE 49" "Well uh, we could take one of the pallette swaps-" "DARK PIT, BUFF THE MOVES AND MAKE THEM SLOWER I DON'T CARE"

(although in theory isn't it technically 51 if you count the three types of Mii Fighter?)
Make good choices

McTool

Postby McTool » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:05 pm

So uh

Is there an early tier list for the full game yet or what

Because my *extensive* demo testing has Pikachu, Villager, Link, Mega Man, Mario in that order

I know I have basically flipped everyone else's list with Pikachu at front and Mario in back but like idk

Pikachu is *fast* in this game and you can rack up percentage really quick if you rush down. Getting a kill is tricky, but fsmash comes out *fast* in this game, and his f-tilt near an edge is certain death

PLUS QUICK ATTACK DOES ACTUAL DAMAGE NOW
Make good choices

Sven

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 pm

almost all the approaches i've seen are slower than human reaction speed aka lol not so good. particularly air->ground approaches are looking pretty meh.

there are a few ground moves that have "built in" protection (yoshi dash attack will cross an opponent's shield for instance). so those chars get to do something at least.

i'd honestly look at 64 to see the closest we've seen in terms of where we 'want' to be approachwise. i doubt it though, probably more like brawl and you should start looking for how to be super zzz safe.

Shift Breaker

Postby Shift Breaker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 pm

A05VPDMV0R3N5PVK
A05VQQK30HERSEWM
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Postby McTool » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 am

It's interesting, because I found throws to be huge in 64, p. big in Melee, but generally worthless in Brawl, and now throws are BACK IN FORCE

Comparing it to Smash 64 is an interesting call, but I think we'll be waiting until Wii U to see how fast the game really is/what SERIOUS PLAY will be like

holy crumpets the items in this game are awful though, there is way too much overpowered garbage
Make good choices

Sven

Postby Sven » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:06 am

in 64 when you ran at someone grounded when you were you had a limited number of options - and the only one that beat shielding was grabbing. 64 also allowed you to jump on someone for free though because z-cancel had no lag and shieldstun was huuuuuuuuuuuuge.

in melee landing lag was still low, so some characters could jump in and be reasonably safe.

in brawl you jumped and took a year to hit the ground. if you hit someone's shield they suffered no stun and you just got wrecked. it was awful.

here I dunno, i'd have to play it. the idea is mostly that 64 is the only game we have where people actually approach each other regardless of somewhat limited movement options.

McTool

Postby McTool » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 am

Fast falling is *fast* in this game - possibly even faster than Melee - so characters with a really good nair sex kick (in this demo, Link and Mario) have a strong approach game as a result. Link in particular does well on this front because the hitbox on his foot is huge, but air to ground is tricky against a lot of the demo cast (Mega Man's anti-air game is *strong*, especially since short hops are nigh-impossible to pull off on the 3DS)

Ground to ground-wise, yeah, approach is still limited, but since moves come out faster than in Brawl and shield-rolling and shield-dash cancels are now the Best Way To Move you've got a good number of options on the ground for faking out an opponent
Make good choices

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Xenesis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 am

[youtube]JzzKdYSdQmA[/youtube]

All final smashes.

I am terrified at what Ale will do with Pk Starstorm now that it can be aimed....

Return to “Dad, I dug another hole!”