The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Re: The Super smash bros topic for U guys.

Post by Bonesy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 am

dark pit was the stupidest idea ever

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 am

Wow guys, Duck Hunt Dog is delicious. You can do pretty crazy stage control with his projectiles, and his close game isn't near bad enough to make up for it.

Between him and Villager, who both feel like technical characters with super potential, I'm having a grand old time with this game.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 pm

I am loving the Duck Hunt Duo, they are my new main. Trying to learn the spacing on their aerials. I think I got a spike with the Dair but the new fastfall makes judging stuff a little tricky. I am used to my super-floaty Ness shenanigans.

I haven't noticed many trends playing online (we share a timezone with Japan and so I see a lot of Japanese opponents. Or at least, people with Japanese characters in their names). If anything I'd say I've seen mostly Dark Pit. A few Captain Falcons and Lucinas. Think I've only fought like one or two Megamen/Shulks.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:36 pm

got the game today, slowly unlocking stuff

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Well, for those that really, really cannot let go of a 13 year old controller:

Link
This adapter will allow you to connect your GameCube controller to the Nintendo Wii or Wii U. Connect your GameCube controller to your Wii or Wii U console. Compatible with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller.
The only thing I hope comes out of this is GCN Virtual Console support.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Being 13-year old doesn't make it bad. It's extremely good at what it does--not everything, mind, but simply what it does.

And among those things is playing SMASH BROS.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:56 pm

And thus Nintendo snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by changing their mind.

Smash only, folks.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:03 am

Wait, what? Where?
Make good choices

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:43 am

I heard it also worked with Wii U games that can also use the Pro and Classic controller?

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:46 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... smash-bros
UPDATE 8/10/14 11.55am: The Wii U GameCube controller adapter will only be compatible with Super Smash Bros., Nintendo has now said.

The company has changed the listing on the accessory's official product page and apologised for the mix-up.

"The GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U is compatible with Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically - it is not compatible with any other Wii U software," a Nintendo UK spokesperson has told Eurogamer.

"The adapter is also not compatible with Wii and we apologise for any confusion."

Initially, the adapter's listing stated that it would be compatible with all games that utilised the Wii Classic Controller and Classic Pro Controller, as well as the Wii U Pro Controller. Both of these statements have now been removed.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:38 am

I understand that Nintendo wants to sell Pro Controllers but I'll bet you a post and a brand-new topic in ASDF that says "Shift Breaker is #1 poster of all time on WWN" that when GameCube games inevitably come to the Wii U VC, they'll be GCN-controller compatible.
Make good choices

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:10 am

I'm as optimistic as I am pessimistic about this. Part of me says "It's Nintendo, of course they'll allow Gamecube controllers to be used on Gamecube games on the Wii U" but another part of me says "It's Nintendo, of course they'd release a multitap that only works for one game"

Make the topic anyway.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:34 am

Lucario feels pretty good still. His recovery has gotten crazier though. All around, though, he feels really good.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:46 am

Lucario makes me mad as heck because his recovery is probably the best in the game, as though this game needed better recovery
Make good choices

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:16 am

It does seem this game favors a KO's that are dealt by sheer knockback and just gimping..

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:50 am

Yeah jump-off kills are kind of fruitless, though I pulled one (ONE) off online with Sheik yesterday.
Make good choices

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:55 am

Exception being Little Mac. Heard he's developing into a base breaker in his own right. I haven't played the full game yet(I am going to break my 3ds for sure if I buy that version, and I grabbed the U), but I don't like giving a character such ridiculous attributes. Wouldn't strong-but-not-broken ground moves, and somewhat bland airgame and a more low-tier recovery have worked better?

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:01 am

Mac's got zip crumpets recovery but hits for 20%, has hilarious priority and hitboxes, and can kill at probably 60% (compared to the rest of the cast, who tend to need 80+). In 1v1 For Glory, yeah, he's dumb. THAT SAID (shamelessly grabbed from that Kotaku article, yes, ugh Kotaku)

Get Mac in the air and you can juggle that dude into oblivion. Given that apparently 80% of the Smash 4 cast has a bair or fair that'll kill, you can get Mac ruined that way. Then he respawns with invincibility and you lose a life
Make good choices

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:21 am

yeah i've noticed it's really hard to kill the cpu by just knocking them off, but i can't say the same about me, lol.

pkdragon master of falling off the stage

also is it just me or do stages feel much smaller now? I mean it might be a side effect of playing on the 3ds, or it might be just me being older, but it feels like the characters are a little bigger compared to the stages than they used to be.

also while i'm complaining about stages, wtf at all the moving/ transforming stages, i've always enjoyed them but holy sheesh there's a lot of them. I miss stages like the original Hyrule Castle (or w/e it was in the original smash brothers) and Saffron City, where the environment was unique and interesting due to being well designed instead of changing every 20 seconds.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:32 am

Pkdragon wrote:pkdragon master of falling off the stage
u fooking wot m8 prove it ill fall off the stage so hard ull get two points at a time

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:45 am

i think i just have ROB left to unlock ugh

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:07 am

70 VS matches, grab someone who falls fast, one stock, omega random, run off the stage, repeat until numb
Make good choices

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:40 am

McTool wrote:70 VS matches, grab someone who falls fast, one stock, omega random, run off the stage, repeat until numb
Can't you just abuse handicap like the old days?

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:16 am

Alternatively, just beat Classic with unlocked characters. Pretty fast and you get lots of custom stuff.

Funny enough, Kirby is great at swallowing little macs and spitting them out. But in general, just bait them to the edges and it'll weed out the dumb players. Smart players will obviously be harder.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:16 am

Nope, ROB's "normal" unlock is to get 200 trophies. Unless you need to play Classic with every other unlocked character? A lot of things said 6 other unlocked characters, which was blatantly untrue when I tried it.

I ended up spamming through trophy rush. Fox's blasters worked pretty well.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:04 pm

i'm just going to play smash versus matches until i get everybody unlocked =)

no suicides tho that messes up my pristine record.

i mean i'm terrible at bowser so there's no way i'm beating campaign with him anytime soon on a difficulty above the normal difficulty, so if i want bowser jr (which i don't, not really, but completion ya know?) i'm going to need to play a lot of vs matches, and on the way i'll unlock just about everyone else too
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:33 pm

I dunno, I just went methodically through Classic mode to unlock alt movesets and ROB appeared. I suppose you get enough trophies doing that. Trophy Rush is pretty easy and you should get anywhere between 10-30 trophies each max duration run. I think that's way faster than doing vs mode

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:33 pm

I've already unlocked everyone and I've only played a bunch of versus. I don't think I've even played particularly much or done anything extra weird. I didn't even know there were special conditions to make guys appear thought it was just random

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:44 pm

I guess just having fun works? If you try everybody out at least once that's already 50 matches covered, and if you take multiple, that's coming up on the 120 required.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:54 am

Had a really great streak and finally upped my win rate above 50%. Would've gone higher but I ran across this insane DDD player (coupled with a few accidental suicides, it ended pretty poorly).

Paletena is still liked, but she is so damn hard to be really effective with. Bowser Jr. is definitely cementing himself as a winner. I'd stick with my original plan of maining Random, but certain characters are being difficult with me (Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer and her bizarre range, Rosaluma, Shulk's Monado thingie, Sonic because he's terrible).

Lots of Little Macs running around online. I've pretty much found out chilling on the very edge makes them really uncomfortable and easy to gimp (spam projectiles, shield + grab, aerials while chasing off edge). Of course, I only saw scrubby ones, so maybe good Macs are gonna kick my ass?

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:06 am

all stages and chars obtained, now i guess i just need to git gud. might play my friend while he's in town.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:19 am

This game is too good at making you connect with random strangers. I random'd Villager vs Dark Pit and we played arrow tennis. Each match was then just us messing around for a minute or so before starting the battle. He or she even started each match with a double taunt like I do.

Then there were connection problems and my friend was lost to the void. I'll miss you, random Japanese person.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:50 am

I grabbed my roommates brawl and a wiimote + classic controller to play it( no other options) Glad to play brawl once again, but gah, that controller does suck for a game like this.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Speaking of controllers, I'm so scared I'm going to break my circle pad.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:57 pm

You will probably break your circle pad. I've seen it happen twice already on another forum.
What can change the nature of a man?

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:32 pm

I'm specifically not getting the 3ds version ever because of this.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 am

Mewtwo is DLC :O It's free if you buy both versions(I hope there's a paid version..)

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 am

Some Kid's Christmas List:

Smash 4
Smash 4

"I NEED BOTH TO UNLOCK MEWTOO SANTA!!!"

Way to ruin Christmas Socks.
BUY GOLD

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:26 am

Ah, hell. Looks like I need to buy a Wii U. Saw a great deal today too. Wii U, Nintendo Land, both Bayonetta games and a Wii Remote Plus for £180. Pay Day is next week, too.

My only regret is buying the 3DS version in the first place.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:59 am

Yeah, I'm planning on waiting for the Wii U version tbh, I played the demo and it just felt weird trying to play it on a handheld.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis