Board games

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

daisy

Board games

Post by daisy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:34 pm

I have:

Biblios
Jaipur
Settlers of Catan
Pandemic + expansion
Got a Twilight Imperium game coming up soon. <3

What am I missing? Don't really like Dominion.

Narts

Re: Board games

Post by Narts » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Small World, Eclipse, Munchkin

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 pm

I have a lot of love for Ticket to Ride and Zombicide.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Much respect for Jaipur. It's a classy game. If you like Settlers of Catan then I can heartily recommend the Cities & Knights expansion - it adds a lot of variety and makes some of the game events more controllable by player decisions instead of being almost entirely left to the whim of the dice.

Our sharehouse collection currently includes:

Settlers of Catan (plus Cities & Knights and the 6-player expansion)
Munchkin
Ninja Burger
Dominion (including base set, alchemy, prosperity, intrigue, and guilds)
Ticket to Ride (USA, Marklin, Nordic - plus a fan-made UK map that is brilliantly cutthroat)
Agricola (plus Farmers of the Moor)
7 Wonders
San Juan
Carcassonne
Pass the Pigs
Scrabble
Connect 4

plus a mahjong set that sees reasonably frequent use.

My personal favourite is probably 7 Wonders - it's good for any number of players from 2 to 7, it's full of difficult and meaningful decision-making, and it has really gorgeous art - but I'm also very fond of San Juan and Ticket to Ride.

A few other games that we don't own but I can heartily recommend:

Red November (drunken soviet gnomes getting killed in a leaky submarine)
Letter of Marque (a fast bluffing game about piracy and ganging up on the first sucker to get caught out)
The Resistance (a slightly more structured version of Mafia/Werewolf with great potential for arguments and misdirection)
Saboteur (as above, but with less shouting and more trolling, since the "innocent" players have reasons to work against one another)
Puerto Rico (ruthless colonial exploitation simulator - not as streamlined as San Juan but it does have some neat mechanics)

Smallworld is all right but very rules-heavy and very very very slow to play in my experience, even when all the players know the game inside out. Too much potential for politics and rules lawyering.

Citadels is similarly full of players telling each other what to do, though it does have some interesting mechanics.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:23 am

Oh I forgot about Ticket to Ride. I don't own it, but the European version is in the house and I love it. It has the same problem as Catan though - if you know you're not within a shout of winning, it's not fun. Has anyone here played Diplomacy? If so, opinions?

Thanks for the recommendations. I've played Smallworld and can't believe I forgot about it. Flying ogres lol.

Terr: I must admit I laughed at Connect 4, but I can see why you recommended it.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:40 am

I remember having a good time with Diplomacy back in high school (mixed with a good number of custom rules).

Best part about Diplomacy is that not-winning is alright, especially if you can screw over someone else (but I am also a spiteful player).
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:13 am

Citadels (Macchiavelli for the Dutch) is a really cool game.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 am

the best 5-7 player experience i've ever had out of a boardgame is the resistance, it solves the elimination problems of werewolf beautifully while keeping all of the flavour. there are a lot of variations of the game out there.

diplomacy really depends on your group - we found it was pretty mentally taxing for new players to understand the differences between land/sea units and how they interact, there were times when people confirmed they understood the letter of the rules but not the impact they had on the game, etc. maybe it'd be okay with the theoretical perfectly balanced all experienced players group, but i've never run into one in my life. most of the time i'm playing a board game there's a new player involved. it also has the "eliminated players sit out" issue.

most games i've played have the eliminated/practically irrelevant players issue. it's just what happens when the win con of a game is accumulating resources.

every group is different! my group thinks resource management is pretty dreadful - we won't play settlers, carcassonne, the whole "you're a merchant with some tradeships!" genre. team games are fine, but come with their own set of issues - what's supposed to be 3 v 3 ends up being 1 v 1 with some people watching.

if you have a steady group twilight imperium should be pretty awesome. terr nailed most of the games i want to recommend that aren't in the deckbuilding/cardplaying genre. what is it about dominion that turns your group off?

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:51 am

what the fudge ever happened to playing monopoly

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 am

Sven: You've pretty much nailed why I approach each Catan game with some degree of trepidation. When the game works it's wonderful, but when there's 1 or 2 irrelevant players it's certainly not fun for them and wastes time for everyone else. The map is too small for 4 players but with 3 you get terrible turn order advantage. I'd rather have player elimination than player redundancy - at least that way the poor soul can go about the rest of his life instead of playing a game he has no chance of winning and probably isn't enjoying. I haven't played any of the expansions though so cannot comment on them.

Most of my friends love Dominion, I just don't really get on with it. I haven't got the brain for it. (Read: I'm terrible at it.) If you're after constructive criticism, the base pack is boring and you get stupidly broken combos that clearly weren't intended by the designers if you start to mix in expansions.

I'm surprised that Pandemic hasn't had more of a response here. It's a seriously wonderful co-op game. It isn't perfect, but by george is it satisfying when you win on hard/very hard.
Bonesy wrote:what the fudge ever happened to playing monopoly
GTFO.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:15 am

cool, for a lot of people the silly broken comboes are the entire point of dominion. i'm not the biggest fan of dominion myself, it often ends up being four players jerking off and ignoring each other. i've never seen the interactive strategies lead a player to victory for a player. i've only seen the interactive strategies allow a player to play kingmaker and ruin someone's game as well as their own.

i've only played pandemic twice - once was at whatever the easiest level is as a demonstration among friends, and the second time on the hardest level as part of an experienced group of players i had just met. i made no meaningful contributions either time, though i suspect i'd enjoy the game again in the group of friends.

my usual group plays Hanabi when we have 4 players - it's a cooperative game where you can't see your own game pieces, and have to rely on hints given from other players to figure out what to personally do. it's one of the best new player experience games i've ever seen, it doesn't matter how experienced the rest of the players are, the new player is participating in the game and making real decisions right from turn one.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:56 am

Yeah I think that's another thing with Dominion - there's not enough player interaction. You're mostly playing it on your own. I like a game to be good on purpose not good by accident.

Pandemic is fantastic with the expansion. It's a game you can't play too often cos once you get the strategy down you can win almost any game, but as long as you don't overplay it it's very enjoyable. Without the expansion I find it a bit bare-bones but I might be just spoilt.

I'm hoping to join the board gaming society at uni in September, hopefully it's good and full of cool people.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:26 am

Terr-how is the Dominion Guilds expansion? It looks really strange.

You really need the right kind of crowd to get a lot out of Dominion, otherwise I can totally see how you can find it boring. In my experience, if you play with people who are very vocal as they play, and you trash talk people's strategies, or make sure you're always talking during everyone's turns, then it can be a lot of fun, even in kingdoms that don't have any attack cards.l

If you're getting together with only four people, you should learn how to play Euchre! It's not that complicated, and it's a team card game, which makes it tons of fun.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:31 am

daisy wrote:Sven: You've pretty much nailed why I approach each Catan game with some degree of trepidation. When the game works it's wonderful, but when there's 1 or 2 irrelevant players it's certainly not fun for them and wastes time for everyone else.
Yeah, I'm normally that 1 or 2 irrelevant players in Catan. It can be a great game, but it does that a lot. I think D6 hate me, hahah. As for Ticket to Ride, I don't see the irrelevant player thing happen that often on the Europe board (the USA board is pretty bad for it, if someone manages to slice off the middle of the map or get a good run of tickets). Some of the expansion boards are pretty interesting too - We've got the Nordic Countries box which is designed for 3 Player and that plays really well.

I'm a very co-operative person so I don't really enjoy the super-cutthroat board games (Hi Diplomacy!) so I tend to seek out the ones that have a bit more of a softer edge. Diplomacy is a game you play if you no longer want to have friends. Or if you do manage to keep your friends, you will never be able to trust them with anything ever again. :P

Hence why my boardgame group plays so much Zombicide. It's a bit pricey, but it's the board game equivalent of Left 4 Dead and it's about as customisable and it's a lot of fun. I need to figure out how to make it more transportable so I can inflict it on others at nerd club :P
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:21 pm

OWS: Guilds is a very fun Dominion expansion. The coin token mechanic allows you to have a bit of extra money tucked away for future turns, which can range from handy in a pinch (letting you buy a 5 instead of a 4, for instance) to brokenly amazingly good (letting you quick-buy three provinces to end the game in a turn), depending on how many token generating cards you have. The overbuy mechanic on some cards (they have a base price but also have another effect that comes into play when you buy them based on how much more you paid for them) is also a neat way of giving players a consolation prize for when they have more money than they can spend on cards they want in a turn.

Quite a few of the cards themselves are also pretty neat - Doctor lets you perform selective mass-trashing, Butcher is a more flexible version of Remodel (with the option to not trash at all and just take two coin tokens), and Taxman is an amazing trollish combination of Militia and Mine - you trash a treasure card in your hand and get a replacement worth up to 3 more on top of your deck, and any other players with the same card as the one you trashed are forced to discard a copy of it. Great for starving people of copper in the early game, hilarious for occasionally nullifying gold in the late game.

As for Diplomacy... the biggest problems are logistical, really. You need seven players, for one thing, and if you're playing face-to-face then you really need all day to make it happen unless you're being super serious and enforcing timed turns. It's certainly fun for the backstabbing and politics, but the balance issues are somewhat concerning for sustained play - France and Russia in particular tend to dominate play, and it can really suck being sidelined while the big boys duke it out.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Dominion + player interaction + actually balanced around serious competitive play = Puzzle Strike.

It also significantly mitigates kingmaker/eliminated player issues (it's also playable 1v1, no idea how Dominion works there). I think the explicit purpose of Puzzle Strike was to fix common problems with the deckbuilder genre, so no surprise there I guess.

I actually started with Puzzle Strike and then ended up playing some Dominion with friends, and yeah I was shocked at the total lack of interaction.

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:33 pm

I think deck building games are most enjoyable when they're seen as a race rather than a fight. Dominion has cards that affect the other player but they're not guaranteed to appear each game. You mostly shouldn't be thinking about high levels of interaction in Dominion. You need to race to the finish line before the other players.

Ultimately, board game experiences can be quite varied based on the group you play with and the expansions you have. For example, every Ticket to Ride map I've played has its own distinct pace. While Nordic is punishing with a rapid pace, the fan-made UK map feels full of opportunities. Even though they have the same core mechanics the map differences actually make a large impact. (We basically never play USA these days)

There have been games that I don't enjoy playing in some settings but have enjoyed at other times. But I definitely understand being put off a game and not wanting to give it a second chance. Smallworld is a game that although I found interesting to think about, it took numerous plays for me to want to engage with it.

[edit] Similarly, Seven Wonders is a game you probably have to play at least twice before you make your mind up about it. Most people don't quite click with it until their first game is about two-thirds through. It's an interesting game though, because frequently players that have that revelation immediately want to play again, as opposed to other games where you get the punch in the gut about how long you spent playing and got nowhere. It can take a long time on its first play through but once everyone understands the mechanics it's very speedy.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Blame Game wrote:(it's also playable 1v1, no idea how Dominion works there).
1v1 Dominion is mostly how I get the chance to play. You get less time to shuffle but it feels like much more of a race because the turn turnaround is a lot quicker. It's a fundamentally different experience, and one that I think devalues attacks a little bit.

I wish the isotropic servers still existed :(
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:59 am

I've played Smallworld twice and enjoyed it, but it's not screamed "must purchase" at me. It might be down to the people I've played it with the first time since I knew basically none of them, and the second time I was in a foul mood beforehand due to an unbalanced game of Catan so it maybe wasn't a fair test.

How's the Civilization board game? It's £49.99 in my local games shop or £90 with the expansions, which isn't money I would normally spend on a game I would play maybe twice a year at most.
Last edited by daisy on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:00 am

i'm always partial to a nice game of chutes and ladders myself

edge of your seat entertainment, that.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:10 am

Pkdragon wrote:
i'm always partial to a nice game of chutes and ladders myself

edge of your seat entertainment, that.
I think the Monopoly comment deserves a serious answer, assuming it wasn't a troll.

Monopoly was never designed to be a serious game. It was meant to be an educational game on economics, not fun. There is an element of "skill" in it but (if you know what you're doing) it just boils down to simple probability calculations to win.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 am

I grew up playing Monopoly, so I have to stand beside it. To the credit of me and my friends, we played with modified rules that made the game a little less arbitrary (needing only one or two properties to develop, extra starting money, loans from the bank that I'd add interest to).

Regardless, the game always devolved when I made a bunch of slimy backdoor alliances and trades that led to my inevitable win.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:28 am

Oh yes with lots of house rules the game can be quite good. I'd still rank it below pretty much every other game mentioned that I've played in this topic (except perhaps Dominion) but yeah I guess I had a lot of fun with it as a kid too. I think it partly depends who you're playing with, like all games.

Scrabble is underrated. And so is Risk, although I understand the criticisms levelled against it. That's another game that can be made much better with house rules.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:21 am

If you like Risk, Legacy is an interesting (and excellent) variant

Don't try to research it too deeply before playing, though, it's probably the only boardgame out there which has spoilers.

The idea is basically that the game board changes between sessions, and past battles affect later rounds through changes made to the board.

If there's a negative to it, though, it's that it basically has a limited amount of play sessions (about 15 games) before you've basically gone through the "story" and after that although you can still play it then it's basically just a standard Risk game, though with a unique game board. And it's not really for people with any kind of collector / preservationist mentality, as it demands you to leave permanent marks into the board and cards, even go as far as literally destroy (shred!) cards.

It's still very much worth it, and there aren't a lot of board games I'd play 15 times anyway if we're entirely honest

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:09 am

Being completely honest I think I like Risk purely because of the people I play it with. There's so many laughs / bullying / lols. ("I hear *country here* is nice this time of year!")

From a completely academic point of view, it's passable, but with a few minor tweaks (adding a few countries, making Australia less OP by making it accessible from Argentina via New Zealand, and giving South America a better bonus) it's not bad.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am

Treedweller wrote:I grew up playing Monopoly, so I have to stand beside it. To the credit of me and my friends, we played with modified rules that made the game a little less arbitrary (needing only one or two properties to develop, extra starting money, loans from the bank that I'd add interest to).

Regardless, the game always devolved when I made a bunch of slimy backdoor alliances and trades that led to my inevitable win.
Well, that's kind of the problem with Monopoly.

Someone usually wins fairly quickly. But the game doesn't end for hours. It's a flawed game that really isn't worth playing in these modern times with better games available.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:47 am

The game is a lot shorter if you play with the original rules.
What can change the nature of a man?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:53 am

I don't think I've ever played monopoly the way it's supposed to be played.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:18 am

Ah, gotta go for Ganzen Bord, just the complex strategy, broken friendships and hours of excitement make this the most fun game there is.
(Dutch people will understand.)
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Don't give me any flashbacks to THAT please. Or ''mens erger je niet''. *shudder*.

Monopoly used to be my favorite. Liked Risk in later years ,especially that online knockoff Warlight, that WWN went through a phase with.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 am

I got my hands on Fairytale. Really small, neat game with some meaty metagame.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:14 pm

waterdeep is pretty fun
the dream

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Twelve Boats wrote:waterdeep is pretty fun
Yeah, it's quite good. It's the most enjoyable D&D related thing I've played since Baldur's Gate.

Also, I am spending too much money on Board Games on Kickstarter.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Pai Sho
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:58 pm

we should arrange some board game online via irc or something
http://www.boardgame-online.com/

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:14 am

Waterdeep is great but I can't really put my finger on what makes it so. It's basically just the standard euro game with a D&D skin. And yet it just plays amazingly good and I don't even normally like that sort of game. It's just well balanced I guess.

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:21 pm

i didn't even realize it was d&d related. goes to show your point i guess
the dream

Portmanteur

Post by Portmanteur » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Sorry to be late to this party, but here's my 2000G:

If you like Risk, I cannot more highly recommend Risk: Legacy, especially if you usually play Risk with the same group of people. The rules have been slimmed down significantly, and the whole point of the game is to create a unique map where every mark is a hilarious story between you and your friends. It's easily my favorite game that I own. The creator of Risk: Legacy is coming out with a new game called Sea Fall: Legacy later this year, and they just announced a collaboration with Z-man games to create Pandemic: Legacy, which I couldn't be more excited about.

The other games I really enjoy are:

BANG! -- A card game featuring wild-west cowboys that was made in Italy, so all of the cards have Italian names with English subtitles. Everyone gets a secret role of Sheriff, Deputy, Outlaw, or Renegade. The Sheriff and Deputy only win if all of the Outlaws and the Renegade are killed (even if the Deputy dies, he can still win). The Outlaws only win if the Sheriff is killed (even if an Outlaw dies, s/he can still win). The Renegade has to be the last man standing, meaning he pretends to be the Deputy until the end of the game when it's mano-a-mano with the Sheriff. I really fun game in a big group (5-7 players). It's literally a spaghetti western!

Pandemic -- A cooperative game where players play on the same team to eradicate diseases that are spreading across the planet. I love this game because every turn is like a puzzle that the team has to solve together. It's also very difficult -- the creator said he wants players to have only a 30% success rate against the game. Lots of fun, even when you lose because you usually get really close to winning, but you need certain things to go your way, so flipping over the last few cards is incredibly suspenseful.

Quantum -- A very slimmed-down 4X space conquest game; much shorter than Twilight Imperium and even shorter than Eclipse! Every ship is represented by a die, and the number on the die represents how far the ship can move, and how strong it is in combat, with higher numbers being weaker. So a 6 can move very far, but almost always dies in combat. The 1 is super strong, but is difficult to bring to the front lines. A very fast-paced and cutthroat game.

Archipelego -- This game is Settlers of Catan on steroids. Easily the 2013 Game of the Year. Players are conquistadors exploring and developing an uncharted island chain, and you are constantly building a new map that's unique to every game. It's so cool how it really feels like you are exploring. This game is super complex: it took my friend and I two hours to learn the rules and play our first game -- which allegedly should have lasted 30 minutes -- and even then we had only learned half the rules and the other half we got wrong. But once I got past the steep learning curve, it became hands down the best game I own.

A lot of people mentioned Small World, and I can recommend that game, too, as a lighter-fare strategy game for people who don't want to get super stressed out by complex strategy and cutthroat decision making. It's very enjoyable because the races and powers come from this cute fantasy setting. I'd call this a great strategy game for families with young children (not too young, but 8 to 12).

Last but certainly not least, if you're really into board games, you should really check out the fine Board Game review site http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/ which will quickly infect you with a board game addiction if you don't already have one.
Here are some of my favorite videos:
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/ ... chipelago/
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/ ... -werewolf/
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/ ... cial-2013/

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:43 am

Bought Civilization the board game and as a large Civ fan I am rather pleased, definitely worth the 49 euros.
Its nice to play but to get it set up for the first time (I have now sorted all the pieces at the cost of not being able to close the box.) is hell, 1 and a half hours of hell to be precies. Well one and a half hours if you learn the rules while your at it which is nearly 30 pages of A4 glory which make sence but take forever to understand. Once you got that out the way its a great game and I'm thinking about purchasing the expansions.

Wait, wait, wait.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:01 am

I've now got more used to the civ (Fantasy Flight) the board game. It is really effectively a huge game of "out smart your neigbour or destroy them". If you are familiar with civ games (PC) you will be pleased to know there are the standard four victory types:
  • Domnination:
    This feels rather easy to go for as all it requires is to defeat another players capital and you win. This victory isn't easy to go for early-game as units are weaker (The board game makes use of a "tech pyramid" which is based of cards of different levels, you are free to "research" any 1 tech in the research phase as long as there is a viable spot; level 1 techs are able to be "researched" without extra conditions howevet a level 2 tech need two level 1 techs and a level 3 need two level 1 techs etc.) but they get stronger over time as you pick military aimed techs strengthening exsisting units/unlocking new ones/increasing the anount of "armies" you can have in 1 tile. As with most civ games on the PC (before V) you could just make a weak "stack of doom" consisting of a literal man spam or you could use few strong units and this is the basic strategy. The same goes for the board game; as the combat works off an odd but fun card slug fest system instead of a typical dice-rolling slug fest, this combat system once again allows you (late/mid-game) to fling countless units and swarm the opponent or kill them with overwhelmingly upgraded units.
  • Economic:
    This victory feels too easy, it basically consists of you "fuffilling" certain abilities like "trade in two resource tokens and get a coin. Max. 4" which are found on technology cards you have researched. After getting 15 coins you win. The only way to counter this is to march and destroy them with an army.
  • Science:
    Also called the "time-victory", after researching two level 4 techs if you have enough science points you can research "space-flight" and voila you fudge your mates and crumpet on them from your shiny rocket.
  • Culture:
    This is an interesting one to pick, it basically consists of you trading in "culture-tokens" and later also "trade/science-points" to move your way up a "culture-track". While moving your way up you get "culture cards" which you can use to screw over your friends and destroy all they have without needing to go to war. You win when you reach the top of the track.
    Another benefit of going culture is that you get alot of "great-people", these can be used (people familiar to Civ will understand) to improve tiles from something like 1 production to 1 trade, 2 production and a free gold coin (eco. Victory).
They are balanced and many of the problems encounted or balance issues are sirted through the expansion if you have a spare €60,- in your pocket. It plays well and the different victories make replayability high. The randomized board mechanic is also good and makes each game slightly new. I could go on to explain this game for hours (that rule-book though!) so I'll end it here rating it 8/10 IMO.

Wait, wait, wait.