Pokemon Go

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Pokemon Go

Post by Linkman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:33 pm

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:39 am

I caught wind of it on twitter this morning. I might try to install it but... There's no way I'm going to put effort into this in public.

And like I also heard on twitter, poor mewtwo. That's just brutal.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:54 am

i was wondering if they'd ever expand on that thing they did with google a few years back
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:28 am

I expect two things to happen: for all-legendary griefing and for some kid to get lost playing the game. One of these things is worse than the other.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:43 am

I expect exactly one thing: the game to be absolutely nothing like advertised in the trailer

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:16 am

Narts wrote:I expect exactly one thing: the game to be absolutely nothing like advertised in the trailer
Definitely.

I mean, the concept is neat. But I find it hard to believe it'll be played as advertised.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:32 pm

i expect car crashes
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:17 pm

i would prefer they diverted all resources into making pokemon real
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Those resources are needed in the anime catgirl project

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Perhaps they could use the existing resources on monetizing irl Pokemon and then using the profits on catgirls?
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:12 pm

you guys can't have expectations about a foregone conclusion! that's cheating!

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:28 am

There is no cheating in war, only tactics.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:49 pm

scraggypunk wrote:i would prefer they diverted all resources into making pokemon real
Yeah, sure.

And then have some spunk command a Tyrannitar. "Gimme the money or else!" And you have to give him the money, because if you don't... he'll order that monstrosity to destroy New York. Sure the police will have a Metagross or two to stop it, but by that time a lot of damage has been caused already.

Or just as fun, the local school bully ordering his Beedrill to turn a classmate into Swiss cheese.

The possibilities are endless!
My sig is a void.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:16 pm

I think the only thing we would see is Pokemons eating their trainers
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:09 am

pokemon are our friends, actually
wisdom

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:54 am

Like, I can totally see the headlines:

"Disobedient Tyranitar devours half of kindergarten class"
"Group of kids attempt to surf on a squirtle, drown"
"Plague of Zubats cause disease epidemic in Cincinatti"

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:41 am

POKEMON ARE OUR FRIENDS
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:33 am

'Alarming study proves that infants psychically probed by Hypno are prone to develop permament mental disorders'

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:26 pm

As amusing as this is, it highlights how little the Pokémon world has been elaborated upon.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:14 pm

It also brings to light exactly how much damage something could do. Tyranitar is goddamn 6'7" and can create a richter 10 earthquake at the drop of a hat (maybe their scale is smaller than ours, so their 10 might be our 4, idk).

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:57 am

They would be heavily abused, they would effectively be doomsday weapons.
Think time/space bending.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:52 am

Let's give ten year olds biological flamethrowers who are likely to become unfailingly loyal. And lethal to the kid if they don't. Pokehumans themselves have superhuman abilities though. The most blatant example is ESP existing, but there's more because that just comes with living in a place like the pokeverse.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:15 am

it's ten year olds writing the pokedex entries. none of them are accurate
wisdom

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Nintendo stock raised 42%.

Jesus.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Because of Pokémon Go?
My sig is a void.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:52 pm

The hype is unreal, and it isn't even released officially here yet. Which is pretty bad, because there's crumpets of malware around on unofficial apk mirrors.

As for myself, it doesn't even work on my version of Android :(
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 pm

Is this thing actually everywhere.

I saw a lady on the bus play this a couple days ago and it isn't even officially out here.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Officially just Australia, New Zealand and the USA.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:54 pm

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:35 pm

It's been pretty funny watching people go "omg it's a game I play IN REAL LIFE" like Ingress hasn't been a thing for years. It even uses Ingress assets and submitted locations. The Pokestops and most gyms are just reskinned Ingress portals lol. I'm not hating on the game, but it is nothing new or innovative.

I downloaded it last night and it seems cool. I like how there's less emphasis on competition and teamwork, which has made Ingress annoying as hell in Oxford recently. Refreshing.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:12 am

hmm, the developers of pokemon go, niantic, re-used assets from ingress. how shameful of them to plagiarize niantic, the developers of ingress
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:15 am

I guess you could see it as a sequel to Ingress. Nothing wrong with that.

The only thing I fear is that soon everyone will try to make money out of it, and with that ruin everything.

edit: I've sort of looked into it, but there seems to be no reliable way of upgrading my 3,5 year old GT-I9300 Galaxy S3 phone past jellybean android 4.3. I don't want to risk breaking everything horribly (connectivity issues, driver problems etc), so either I buy a new phone or I can't get in with the hype :/
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

bog2

Post by bog2 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:47 am

Like I said, I'm not hating on the game. I've walked over 20k today lol.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:23 pm

ThunderWalker wrote:Because of Pokémon Go?
I don't think it was the Fire Emblem Breeding Centre :P

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Linkman wrote:
ThunderWalker wrote:Because of Pokémon Go?
I don't think it was the Fire Emblem Breeding Centre :P
:lol:

It's still ridiculous on how a single game can have such a huge influence on the stock though - especially for a producer with numerous games and franchises already, like Nitendo. Even moreso, it's not like Pokémon is a new franchise that somehow performed better than expected.
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 am

holy crumpets again I see someone play pokemon go and I only needed to be outside about 5 minutes

It really is everywhere X___X

the pokemonists are more ubiquitous than iraqi refugees

bog2

Post by bog2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:28 am

I put down a lure and more players come than Pokemon.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:59 pm

I must learn more about this "lure" thing

bog2

Post by bog2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:50 pm

From what I can work out, it turns the portal- sorry, I mean *PokeStop*, into a spawn point that produces more pokes than a normal spawn would. Combine it with incense and you get some mad crumpets.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:30 am

Can I set up a "pokestop" in the back of my van?