Pokemon Go

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

daisy

Re: Pokemon Go

Postby daisy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:40 am

A portal has to be stationary.

x0_000

Postby x0_000 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:50 pm

photo of Narts found:
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 am

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

daisy

Postby daisy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:31 am

For some reason I thought Nintendo was worth more than MS/Sony anyway due to brand recognition.

Terragent

Postby Terragent » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Nintendo's been worth more than Playstation & Xbox for quite a while, but Microsoft and Sony have much bigger business than just their videogames - Sony has a billion and one other electronics products and a film business, Microsoft have Windows and a bunch of tablet projects, etc. Nintendo overtaking Sony is quite something.

Joey

Postby Joey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:23 pm

this is a very good experience with some frustratingly bad mechanics. gyms are basically a joke so i leave cp10 weedles whenever i take one down
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 pm

That's so mainstream, all over my town i see people on bikes looking at their phone like they're more worried about IT crashing than THEMSELVES crashing on my car.
Damnit Nintendo.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:05 pm

My level 1200 Jolteon is the best at sweeping scrub pidgeot/golbat gyms.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

daisy

Postby daisy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:10 am

Joey wrote:this is a very good experience with some frustratingly bad mechanics. gyms are basically a joke so i leave cp10 weedles whenever i take one down

Yeah, this is probably my main complaint with the game, other than the server issues and classic Niantic bugs obviously. There is very little point in taking gyms except for kicks.

Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269 ... pokemon-go

welp

"Nintendo shares have skyrocketed since following Pokémon Go's release and instant transformation into global cultural phenomenon, but they fell dramatically today after investors realized that Nintendo doesn't actually make the game. Nintendo put out a statement after the close of trading on Friday pointing out that the bottom-line impact will be "limited" as it only owns 32 percent of The Pokémon Company, and that the game and its Pokémon Go Plus smartwatch peripheral have been accounted for in the company's current forecasts.

Pokémon Go is a collaboration between The Pokémon Company and Niantic Labs, the developer who previously created the similar AR game Ingress as part of Google. This apparent revelation caused shares to plummet in Monday trading, with the stock dropping 17 percent at one point, representing about $6.4 billion in value; as Bloomberg notes, Tokyo stock exchange rules prevent share prices from moving more than 18 percent in a single day.

It appears that Nintendo's huge stock bump, which took the company past Sony in market capitalization, was fueled by investors with the misguided belief that Pokémon is wholly a Nintendo creation. Nothing that Nintendo said in its announcement on Friday was new information — there isn't a Nintendo logo to be found anywhere within Pokémon Go itself, and the status of the game's ownership has been clear since it was announced last year."

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:41 pm

Nice that they bothered warning. Although nintendo will get modest gains from this. The boost that Pokemon has got as a brand is enormous.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Postby monkymeet » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Recently got released in Hong Kong

It's pretty fun. Dense cities help I would guess.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Narts

Postby Narts » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm sitting at a terrace drinking beer and some kids in baseball caps wander in looking for pikachu or whatever

It's bizarre

I don't even play the game and i feel like an extra in that 90s pokemon cartoon

Make it stop

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Postby Bonesy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:34 pm

Narts wrote:I'm sitting at a terrace drinking beer and some kids in baseball caps wander in looking for pikachu or whatever

It's bizarre

I don't even play the game and i feel like an extra in that 90s pokemon cartoon

Make it stop

implying the show isn't still going and is longer than one piece's anime at this point iirc

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:59 pm

I see clusters of adults everywhere, and they roam the gyms at night. Saw two parents with a little toddler playing too.

I'm loving this utter madness.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:11 am

Still only level 10, but I have like over 160 Pidgey candy and 80 Weedle candy to spend on lucky egg evolves. Should boost my level quite a bit when I get around to spending a mad half-hour powerleveling.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:30 am

Is Oss a good pokespot city? I'm lucky to have a great spot in Leiden myself. My hometown is proving far more dull.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:03 am

nah you basically have to go to the bigger cities to get any luck
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:45 am

If I get any stronger I should be able to trash my town's gyms eventually though. Looking forward to it.

In Leiden I can see 3 gyms from my own room, and about... 15-20 pokespots. It's nice :D

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:40 am

Dragonite wrote:I see clusters of adults everywhere, and they roam the gyms at night. Saw two parents with a little toddler playing too.

I'm loving this utter madness.

Dragonite wrote:
Please do next time. I enjoy members getting snarky as a result.

dragonite has become the joker confirmed
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

daisy

Postby daisy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:24 pm

HPD wrote:nah you basically have to go to the bigger cities to get any luck

Or a tourist trap city. Oxford is tiny and I've got a Pokedex in the high 60s.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:52 am

Yeah, exactly.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:01 am

I really envy those that have a pokespot in range of their house though.......

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:23 am

I have two next to each other right outside but I just can't reach it from my house. I managed it once from my balcony but I need a GPS twitch to do it. Still good though.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:24 am

A lot of the spots nearby are based on poems or art painted as decoration on the flats themselves, resulting in a very broad overlap in the homes on that side. I noticed one of these spots keeps activating lures late that night..

Just the thought of restocking withou any effort every 5 min all day :<

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:45 am

city plaza sunday evening. two lures out. there's like 20-30 people here. so much fun haha

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:41 am

And then they remove a pretty big feature
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

daisy

Postby daisy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:14 am

So today's update completely removed the tracker thing that never worked anyway. In addition, Niantic, in their infinite wisdom, issued Pokevision a C&D. They pulled this crumpets with Ingress too... it's like they don't want their games to be playable. They also screwed up a load of the fonts, changed the Pokeball 3D model for absolutely no reason and moved the viewing angle for capturing Pokemon up, thus making it harder to aim. Terrible patch.

Dragonite wrote:I really envy those that have a pokespot in range of their house though.......

From September, I'll have a Pokestop and gym accessible from my bed. :D (It currently has a pair of 2.5k+ Dragonites on it however...)
Last edited by daisy on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 am

I'm more concerned with decreased capture rate and increased running rate.

The in-app tracker was broken. They likely removed it until they can get stuff to work. The app is still in a basic stage because they barely are holding on to keep it functional. Let's wait and see.

daisy

Postby daisy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:22 am

What irritates me is that it used to work fine. It was broken by Niantic in the first place, and then they get crumpets when fans decide to come up with their own solution. The game is barely playable at the moment unless you have a fetish for Pidgey/Ratata/Drowsy.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:44 am

Well, they give exp?

Levels are most important to me, CP is kind of linked to it.

The backlash is severe for a popular game like this, and they are going to give the game a proper polish update at some point anyway. I'm more afraid of them going the pay to win route. Just as I was considering a 1200 coin pack as a means of thank you payment :p

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 am

Ok so the nearby feature is removed, tracking sites like Pokevision have been taken down, the battery saver mode for iOS is removed, apparently the exp bonus for nice/great/excellent throws is gone, pokemon are harder to catch and run away more often.

What the hell.

As for investing money, I have so far spent nothing on it and don't plan to.

e: can't really confirm the last bit at this point in time, but that's the rumours i see right now

Joey

Postby Joey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:30 pm

thus making it harder to aim

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Main developer said in a interview he dislikes the need for payments hindering gameplay though. That's why I have high hopes once the hype dies down and they have time again. The various low res textures in this update probably indicate a lack of coordination atm.

daisy

Postby daisy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Niantic, for all their faults, will not make it pay to win. They've been pretty clear on that, and ingress micro transactions remain low key.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:29 am

I will try Ingress soon btw. It looks rather slick, and it will be fun to compare.

daisy

Postby daisy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:45 am

It's nowhere near as well-made as Pokemon Go, although it is a lot deeper.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am

Funny how these things go. Pokemon go would get tedious if catching was more complex though. Battles are more braindead then needed. A more tactical revamp once pokemon centers are implemented would be nice although unlikely.

daisy

Postby daisy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 am

Well it's more that Ingress is much more of a team game than PG is. Ingress is all about land control, and you won't get very far without some sort of co-operation with the local community. That's the entire focus of the game. In PG, the gym battles feel like an afterthought and a place to show off your Pokemon, with the focus being on building your collection. It's very possible to play solo in PG and almost totally ignore the whole team thing. Ingress and PG are different games with a different focus. PG lacks a built-in chat function because it doesn't need it.

I've actually grown to prefer PG for that reason. I've never been much of a multiplayer gamer. (Not with strangers anyway.) With PG, I don't need to ask around the G+ chat before I do anything major... I just go out and catch crumpets, maybe with a friend. No politics. No tripping over each other.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 am

i don't play either because i don't go outside :E
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Return to “Dad, I dug another hole!”