Is _____ Game Worth It: The Thread

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Is _____ Game Worth It: The Thread

Post by Linkman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:35 am

It's also got someone related to Mustadio so it can't be bad!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:32 am

Ok so as far as good jrpgs go: Suikoden II/III/V, SaGa series, FF X and XII, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyrie Profile, SMT series, Shadow Hearts would be my favorites. Agarest Wars if you like research, waifus, and have tons of patience.

As far as your response goes... Enemies appearing on the map is still random battles because it takes you to a separate (incredibly dull) arena once the fighting starts, and the fight is still the same. Items that reduce/increase enemy rate is a bit different from using the map to take out enemies from afar, perform sneak attacks. I find this is one of the great advantages of action games, that you aren't (usually) confined to a small space during your fights- now some action games do have less emphasis on immersive worlds and set up barriers when you encounter enemies to keep you from using hit and run tactics, I've never been a huge fan of that technique unless the actual fighting is particularly top notch (like in say, Devil May Cry 3).

As far as commanding spells, directing AI, and switching characters- I first must point out that these are all things that would happen naturally if it was a standard rpg, or even a game with an active pause like the Infinity Engine games. Even other action RPGs like FFXII allow you to control your teammates using gambits and similar abilities. If you can't control what your allies do, chances are you are playing an incredibly basic game. Switching characters is also common, though not always in battle, I just question if there's any real strategic use to switching characters when most battles boil down to spamming your best moves and you have your allies best moves available anyway. Plus... this is an opinion (all of this is opinion, but this even more than others) and, but I always found every other character was a downgrade from Lloyd, who simply attacked the fastest- though I've heard good things about using Collette, if she wasn't so slow I can see her playstyle being halfway interesting.

Anyway, I'm not saying they're objectively bad games, I'm just saying this is why I didn't enjoy them, since you asked. I'm notoriously bad with specific examples- it's been a long time since I played them. They're also games that get better when doing challenge runs, because by default the main game just doesn't give you reason to play with any finesse whatsoever, but I can imagine challenge runs would.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 am

The new tales game switches the normal world into battle mode btw. Although that venture ended up with a lot of camera/confined fighting problems. Basic circular area seems to be better, and leaves more leeway in overworld design.

Xenoblade did pull of a modern action RPG well though. I got it for Wii U, but haven't played it much

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Xenoblade the First was more a Final Fantasy XII than an action RPG.

When I hear Action RPG I think Monster Hunter, Deus Ex, Shadow Tower or a Souls game.

Also PK, fite me in Dark Souls 2.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:03 pm

That was considerably more input on the Tales question than I was expecting.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:15 am

lol, I'm awful at making stuff like that concise, dragonite asked me to elaborate so I tried to answer as fully as possible, and I was rather tired at the time.

I don't own Dark Souls 2. i'm assuming sarcasm but i never know.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:36 am

Hans Stockmann wrote:Is spending buckets of money on DLC to put band-aids on gaping plotholes spawned by the director using their videogame as a means to write a Mary Sue voiced by their favourite actress what you're after? Tales of Zestria (PS3, Steam, Don't Buy)
Sure glad I saw this before I bought this game at full price, guess I'll play through Vesperia finally
Make good choices

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:05 pm

People seem to be liking it on steam... then again, Tales fans aren't exactly known to be objective and Steam reviews even less so.

Me, I don't ever buy games at full price, much less a Tales game :D