Is _____ Game Worth It: The Thread

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Is _____ Game Worth It: The Thread

Post by Bonesy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:57 pm

I'd like to open the thread with: licensed lego games for xbox 360

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Is _____ Game Worth It: The Thread

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm

The licenced Lego games are pretty good on the whole. I've got a pile of them on PS3. Good fun for co-op, too.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Good luck 100%ing those games.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:07 pm

We've done a couple already.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:00 am

no. the answer is always no
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:32 pm

any mobile games / mobile ports of games worth it? I gots BASTION, it was ok!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:02 pm

kiwi wrote:any mobile games / mobile ports of games worth it? I gots BASTION, it was ok!
scraggypunk wrote:no. the answer is always no
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:11 am

scraggypunk wrote:no. the answer is always no
</endtopic>

but seriously, there have been a FEW games that I've felt were particularly worth it in a Dollar:Fun ratio (NOT from a Time:Fun ratio necessarily).

Heroes of Might and Magic 3- As long as you buy the original copy, the one that is on GoG, this is an excellent game. When not on sale, it's 10 (US) dollars for a game and 2 expansions, each of which has tons of levels, and each level often takes hours to complete. The result is a truly massive game. Even better if you pick it up on sale. The others in the series are pretty fantastic deals as well, especially on sale. I've waxed poetic about Heroes enough though, but it's basically the game I think of when I think "good deal".

Titan Quest: This game is fairly long but not especially long, and there's a lot of repetition (especially in Act 1, which has some really REALLY boring dry spots). Where the game is unparalleled is Character Building. You basically get a choice of 9 classes, and can pick two of them, resulting in a TON of possible character builds. Make sure to grab Immortal Throne, it's essential. It's an older game and I find it's tough to get working correctly, but it also came from the era when modding obscure arpgs was a thing so it has some good mods, if you can hunt them down.

If dealing with an older game is tough, Grim Dawn is an amazing early access game that's basically the spiritual successor. Even though it's not *quite* finished, it's basically final product worthy, just lacking the endgame. GD is a bit pricy compared to the other games here, but it's an EA game that offers a lot of value, so I figured I'd give it a mention.

Sacred 2: Sacred 2 has a lot of problems, but in terms of content, it's basically like an MMO world except it's single player. The world is massive, and there are tons and tons of quests to hunt out, places to find, bosses to fight. There's also 7 classes, each with multiple ways to play them, so the replay value is high. The original Sacred is also this way, but it's not as colorful and full of life, and ends up feeling like more of a grind, IMO. Again, they're far from perfect games, but the amount of content compared to the current pricing is just amazing. Also you meet Blind Guardian. Nuff said.

Morrowind. This is one of those games where I think the cost is more in time rather than money, but I've spent more time exploring Morrowind... and I still haven't beaten it. Very dated, very slow game, but the atmosphere is top notch and there's just so much content in terms of quests and exploration... if you're thorough enough to find the content, it's hidden slightly better than in modern games, no big quest bubbles over NPC heads or any of that. Again, this is another game that's sold with expansion packs that add even more content to the game, making it a great deal at this point.

Terraria: Cheap indie game that has a ton of content. Procedurally generated worlds, ability to dig and build, recieved some huge content updates that pushed the game over the edge to the point where it's possibly too stuffed with content. I think everyone here has heard of it if not owned it. Still deserves some recognition for being such a great deal for such a small game. Minecraft is also famous for this, but I never got into Minecraft.

King's Bounty: Just going to throw out that I've played these games over and over and over again and they are kinda my go-to "I need a quick strategy fix game". Franchise has been milked to death to the point where no one seems to really care anymore, but the original games are pretty fun adventures. If you can get King's Bounty/Armored Princess/ Crossworld on sale they're particularly good deals. Not as amazing as some of the other deals, probably a bit of a biased pick, but still felt like I should mention them.

These games were all, put a few dollars in, get hundreds of hours back.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:42 am

For the Heroes 3 thing, I can recommend getting the community-made Heroes 3 HD mod. It does a better job than the 'official' HD edition and enhances gameplay so much. You'll never look back, really.

e: get it here: https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:15 am

heeeey this might be INAPPROPRIATE buuuut

which emulators are worth using these days?

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:32 am

That would depend on what you're trying to emulate, I suppose.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:41 am

i can actually say good things about mobile games and even a few mobile ports. i'm playing ffvii on my phone (i know, right?) because it's been so long, and i don't really think it's denigrated by being on the phone.

also mobile is the best game platform
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:13 am

If physical controllers become a thing, maybe some day, but.. Most of ios mobile gaming selection eemed to be of the timewaster or pay to win type.

3ds games seem a lot richer to me. More expensive, but yeah, it's a totally different league. And physical buttons are important for me with a lot of games. Tactile feedback and not slipping off a virtual joystick.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:53 am

touchscreens still suck for those of us with nails
wisdom

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:53 pm

DS screens are nail-approved. Others vary wildly. A certain someone I know has often complained, loudly, about the Vita's lack of a stylus.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:34 pm

kiwi wrote:heeeey this might be INAPPROPRIATE buuuut

which emulators are worth using these days?
Dolphin.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:07 pm

I was thinking of a BEST IN CLASS type thing! so the recommended emu for snes, genesis, psone, etc.!

I mean don't write up a COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS, just if you happen to have used one and it wasn't terrible!

and I'm guessing some platforms only have one choice which I will discover whenever I feel like playing those games!

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:53 pm

PC: SNES9X, VBA-M, Desmume, PS1 is a fudge crapshoot but i use ePSXe still
Linux: SNES9X, VBA-M, Desmume, PCSXR by far

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Higan/bsnes is better if your computer can do it though!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:58 pm

ePSXe is pretty good for PS1 emulation and most likely the one you should be using.
bsnes I thought ate way too many resources for minimal improvement. I don't know if that's changed lately, but I use SNES9x exclusively now.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:15 pm

SNES9X is the only SNES emulator that's worth even talking about unless you care about frame accuracy (which is obviously very important if you're speedrunning). Very user-friendly and lightweight!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:21 pm

HPD wrote:bsnes I thought ate way too many resources for minimal improvement. I don't know if that's changed lately, but I use SNES9x exclusively now.
IIRC, the bSNES core has now hit 100% compatibility. Worth it for the games that Snes9x does badly/weirdly.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:43 pm

kiwi wrote:I was thinking of a BEST IN CLASS type thing! so the recommended emu for snes, genesis
NES, SNES, Megadrive, PC Engine, Neogeo, N64?

Dolphin.

But seriously, Gamecube/Wii emulation is pretty darn amazing these days. As Terragent mentioned, Snes 9x is the best unless you're wanting absolute perfection. Zsnes with a 1.0 ROM if you're wanting to play megamanx.zip.

For NES, from memory FCE Ultra is the way to go. Gens for Megadrive, finalburnalpha (via Fightcade) if you want to netplay Neogeo games, and N64 emulation is still horrifyingly bad if it's not using a Virtual Console game in Dolphin.

For arcade games, shmupmame unless you're using the aforementioned Fightcade.

For PSX, ePSXe. For PS2, PCSX2. We might have a working Xbox emulator in 2101. Juuuust before the war begins.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:46 am

I recommend Klive for your ZX Spectrum emulation needs

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:33 am

Is Far Cry 1 and/or 2 worth it?

They're about 2.50 each on steam right now. I know they're going to be dated but the question is "how badly". While I don't expect too much from 2.50, I'm short on cash so I still need to ask, lol.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:47 pm

I didn't know I had a ZX spectrum need but I do now!

pk! as your financial advisor I financially advise you to only buy one of those games! this way you're not spending all your disposable income on games but also not spending it all on other things!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Pkdragon wrote:Is Far Cry 1 and/or 2 worth it?

They're about 2.50 each on steam right now. I know they're going to be dated but the question is "how badly". While I don't expect too much from 2.50, I'm short on cash so I still need to ask, lol.
no. the answer is always no
wisdom

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:27 pm

There aren't many FPS I will speak highly of. Far Cry is not one of them. While it predates the "press button to dryhump cover"component of modern shooters, it's still very much riddled with pinpoint accurate hitscan assault rifles that'll pepper you if you so much as slightly deviate from the intended course of action in any scenario. The scenery is rather pretty if that's what you purchase videogames for.

Far Cry 2 doesn't even have the pretty scenery. It's an absolute chore to play.

Instead of $2.50 for a Far Cry you could buy Hatoful Boyfriend or
Luftrausers. You could also spend $2.50 more and buy Tobari and the Night of the Curious Moon. If you absolutely must play an FPS, there's a new big mod for Deus Ex...

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 am

I ended up not buying it. While I'm still curious about the Far Cry franchise, you're right, there's other games I could buy with that money (though I already own Hatoful Boyfriend :P).

Ofc, Now Risen is on sale, which is much more my type of game. Choices, Choices, lol.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:49 am

have you considered: no. the answer is always no
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:11 pm

i think i hear a record breaking

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Which Tales games are worth playing?

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Is combat your primary focus? Tales of Graces F (PS3)
Is plot your primary focus for some bizarre reason? Tales of Vesperia (360)
Is Gamecube nostalgia your primary focus? Tales of Symphonia (GCN, PS3, Steam in 2016)
Is good portable combat and awful dungeoning your focus? Tales of Innocence (DS)
Is an all-round good experience but not as strong in some areas as other entries your focus? Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 (PS3)
Is an enjoyable plot and some hilariously broken system mechanics what you're after? Tales of the Abyss (PS2, 3DS)
Is incredible voice acting your focus? Tales of Phantasia (GBA)
Is spending buckets of money on DLC to put band-aids on gaping plotholes spawned by the director using their videogame as a means to write a Mary Sue voiced by their favourite actress what you're after? Tales of Zestria (PS3, Steam, Don't Buy)

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:42 pm

You mean Rose? :p
Symphonia is very good and charming, but slightly dated, abyss has a good first playthrough, but it suffers from random sidequest cutoff point syndrome. Haven't played the rest, but Xillia and graces seemed good.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:48 am

I'm just going to pop in and say that Xillia is the only one I can stand, though Graces' combat did look pretty good from what I saw of it. In general I find that Tales' particular way of combining RPG and action results in a mix that has all the worst elements of the two genres. Xillia still had that problem, but it was a rare game where I actually enjoyed playing the main character due to his focus on dodges and counterattacks.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:05 am

What do you mean by that? The fact your controlled characters can only have a few moves assigned at once, and as a result it can be a bit spammy at times? It's like that with tales of symphonia, but newer games seem to get more complex about it. With RPG elements I think it does handle a few things pretty well compared to some other stuff I played(*coughfinalfantasyXIIIsmallreferenceframescough*. What is a good eastern RPG exactly?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:54 am

Well, that's part of it (how spammy it is). The Random Battle nature of the game really hurts the action, because for one thing, there's no stealth possibilities, no pulling encounters so that you can control when and where you fight (not always possible in action games, but it's usually possible SOMETIMES, and in tales by nature you can't do this), and then because these games run off a random battle setup, the enemies are usually rather weak, and the bosses are usually immobile ability spammers, so my memory of tales games falls into either spamming to kill enemies quickly, or spamming to kill the boss because it's not like the boss is moving around much or really doing anything except damage that I heal with the click of a button- at least, if I'm at the right level to be fighting the boss.(Xillia did have some great boss battles against other characters that had a high degree of movement, another reason I enjoy it more than the others I've played). Then yeah, there's the fact that you don't really have proper combos or anything of the sort, but just special moves you can use whenever, due to it being an rpg more about managing mp costs than timing. And of course damage is based more on stats than on skill due to the game being an rpg.

On the other side of the equation, because it's an ACTION based rpg there's less time to consider strategies, because even if the bosses aren't particularly creative they do deal a lot of damage and you need to be constantly dealing a stream of damage. I remember most moves just do damage, occasionally there's crowd control but it doesn't usually work on bosses, so most moves are just damage output in various ways - maybe the occasional buff/debuff move though I don't remember them at all. A slower / turn based rpg might be able to spice up the move variety. Also, I seem to recall customization was basically nonexistent, the only real customization is picking who is in your party, which is pretty forgettable because you don't control them and most of the time they just do their own thing in the background, and who you control, and a character select isn't really what I consider customization. No sphere grids, skill trees, class changing, etc. At least, nothing that I can remember. Outside of Xillia, which had a very clumsy skill unlocking system but was still better than the norm.

So to sum up, you've got some action elements, but you don't have the action elements that really create immersive and memorable battles that reward skillful play. You have rpg elements, but you don't have the strategy or customization that push an rpg from being an exercise in mashing "attack" to being a memorable game. So that's what I mean by the two being a mix where you get the worst elements, or perhaps more precisely, you don't have any of the best elements of either genre, which is still a problem because those elements are what make the genres worth playing. At least in my book.

OF COURSE, I should note that I've only played Symphonia, Abyss, a bit of Vesperia, and Xillia, and Xillia as I said was probably the best by a large margin.I also haven't played the others in a long time, so I might be wrong. Still, the ones I played were uninspiring enough that I haven't really felt like playing more of them.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:55 pm

vesperia is very pretty
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Battles aren't random from my experience, enemies appear on the map, and you have holy/dark bottles to either have a easy time slipping by, or drawing them all in at once.

I can see your point with the rest, although I don't really agree with your conclusion. There both seemed enough action and strategy for me, mostly because you're able to command a certain spell being used, you can direct the AI, and you do have the ability to switch your controlled character mid battle. There's also the possiblity of finding 3 RPG nuts and go nuts with 4P battles, but nobody does that. Newer games also focus a bit more on bosses not flinching automatically, and they reward keeping a combo going once you manage to stagger them. I know Xillia does this in more detail(with stuff I don't fully grasp like weakness hits), but Symphonia and Abyss are bit more simplistic with it. I agree lack of boss mobility can be problematic, the less mobile bosses tend to get spammed. However, the most important bosses are almost always humanoids througout the series, and they can counterattack using stagger resistance, overlimit giving them a window to control the battlefield, and some bosses are able to warp. Personally think the games do what they want to do well enough(since it's been going strong for about two decades), but it's a very specific blend of mechanics that may not to be everybody's liking.

That, and as I said, I need to improve my range of experience. XIII was a blast with the ''management'' aspect of RPGs, I hope I'll find more in that direction someday.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:02 am

Have you played Final Fantasy XII? Its battle system is similar to XIII's but with more options and much finer player control. It's got a kickin' soundtrack and the best Cid in the history of the series, too.