Rate the Song #1: Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean?"

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

WHAT DO YOU RATE THE SONG.

10/10
10%
9/10
10%
8/10
10%
7/10
No votes
6/10
10%
5/10
No votes
4/10
10%
3/10
20%
2/10
No votes
1/10
No votes
0/10
30%

Total votes: 10

Joey

Rate the Song #1: Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean?"

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:34 pm

As we've found out in the past, rating bands is a fool's errand.

What if we just paid attention to one song at a time?

WE'RE RATING THE SONG ON THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

Welcome to something weekly we'll start up every Sunday. It is called Rate the Song, although I envisioned it as Rate the Single. I was initially going to start with Trap Queen.

...maybe once we get a little bit more into this.

Let's start with something that won't end up with me calling y'all a bunch of racists. JUSTIN. BIEBER.

Justin Bieber has had a pretty strange career which probably bottomed out when rode around his neighborhood on his Segway while publicly smoking dope and pissing in sinks on video before exclaiming "fudge Bill Clinton!" But you might best know him for this:

Did you know he was arguably the first, and certainly remains the most notable, Youtube celebrity? It all started here. You did this, internet.

So this year the dude's actually found some good producers and writers to work with and has put out songs ranging from great to excellent. And with this song, he's actually managed his first #1 hit.

This is "What Do You Mean?," produced by Bieber himself in conjunction with a fellow named MdL who's a longtime collaborator, though it was originally thought that Skrillex (who produced, with Diplo, the earlier 2015 single "Where Are Ü Now") had done it. I'll keep my opinion to another post. Listen here. Rate up there.

"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Treedweller

Re: Rate the Song #1: Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean?"

Post by Treedweller » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Like most sane people, I once hated the Biebs. Not aggressively or anything, but I never imagined that he'd become a source of good pop. And I was super mad when he roped one of my favourite rappers, Chance The Rapper, into collaborating on his crumpets single 'Confident.'

But 'Where Are U Now' and 'What Do You Mean?' (and, to a lesser extent, 'Sorry') turned me into a total Biebs stan. Well, just for those singles - his new album is still spotty and weird with a lot of bloat and inexplicable lows (inexplicable because he has like moolah cash to hire even more interesting producers and songwriters).

I do think that 'Where Are U Now' does the whole tropical dolphin-core pop single thing better - its electronic yowls and post-dubstep chorus breakdown sounded so cryptic and unrelated to anything on pop radio when it was first released, but still managed to be likeable and immediate. It hit me in the gut.

'What Do You Mean?' is its lesser sequel, but not by very much. It's brighter, prettier, and sweeter, and one of the best pop songs of the year. 9/10

Where are you now? What do you mean? Is it too late now to say sorry? It seems that an uncertain, introspective Biebs to the flavour of producers like Skrillex and Diplo (and I guess MdL, who I'd never heard of before) works.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:21 pm

it doesn't annoy me but i was rather bored listening to it
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:20 am

Is this some kind of a ruse to try and get us to actually listen to bieber and then feel stupid afterwards

If so it's not working.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:00 am

i feel like i should rate this 10/10 for the lulz but it seems unakau has beat me to it

0/10
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:24 am

lyrics are boring and uninspiring, but i usually place little value on them actually unless they're overly repetitive, which they kinda are

i personally hate that nasally breathless singing style. it's not my jam

some glimmers of cool and nice samples, but it spends too much time on the less interesting parts of the song

bleh/10

i actually prefer Baby to this track

do you get to choose every week or is it like, a nomination system
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:32 am

Boring popcorn music for the masses /10. Admittedly less crumpets than his previous stuff. (Using the word "his" loosely, because he probably has an army of overpaid label businessmen writing songs for him.)

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:40 am

Well, Justin was discovered on youtube for a reason. He does have a real talent for singing, and as far as I can tell he was a decent kid with a somewhat difficult background before he was discovered. Such a explosion of fame is hard to get a grip on, and it's sad that he went out of control because of it. As for the current Bieber, eh... It's a catchy song, not really my style but that's subjective.He's got a good voice but doesn't need as much autotune as it has. And the Calvin Klein pants people, the pants! Then again, it wasn't as glaring as Ariana using Beats in a sci-fi setting. Oh well, that's pop for you.It's just a bit hard to take seriously for me.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:08 am

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:10 am

Dragonite wrote:He does have a real talent for singing
Find me one song of his in which he isn't autotuned to hell and back, sounding like he's singing down a phone line.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:23 am

Boglet, you know I love you to heaven and back, but linking to some douche from Slipknot (easily one of the worst bands of our generation) for his 'ideas' on pop music? And tying real talent to not using autotune? You don't have to like the Biebs or this song, but these are boring, hackneyed, and regressive ideas about music that I expect from the rockist vanguard.

I mean, I guess you can legit hate on the de-auteurization of music, maybe, at least in the case of boring pop stars who sound like they're soulless puppets acting out the machinations of a corporate committee. But autotune is tool like any other. And so long as the song sounds good, who fudge cares if it took computer manipulation of someone's voice to get it there?

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:33 am

It wasn't a comment on Slipknot's musical quality, but what he says on the state of modern pop music. When I listen to music I can tell if it's just the same four chords fed through a soulless computer or if the artist actually put effort into it.

And it doesn't sound good. So nyeh. Unless it's done ironically. (teehee)
Last edited by daisy on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:37 am

Bog: Question.

Do you enjoy "Psychosocial Baby"?

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:40 am

No it's horrendous. Psychosocial is a semi-almost-half-decent song by itself though.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Treedweller wrote:I mean, I guess you can legit hate on the de-auteurization of music, maybe, at least in the case of boring pop stars who sound like they're soulless puppets acting out the machinations of a corporate committee

Boglet here is just a little poor at articulating his thoughts. Let me rephrase it for you: This music is garbage.

Autotune and the like are only tools, of course, but when your entire musical repertoire rests on "tools" like that you would expect there to be some other kind of artistic merit or a measurement of depth to their work - since no one can be reasonably expected to be impressed by an autotuned voice alone. So is there something else in there to make it worth listening to? Some kind of a thoughtful message or perhaps a cool and unique melodical composition? Clever lyrics? Anything?

You may begin explaining the artistical merits of Justin Bieber's work to the rest of us.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:06 pm

Pretty much. And even if the artisitical merits of Justin Bieber can be explained it would fit any other money printer modern pop artist too.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Well, I believe he's got a singing voice. He wouldn't have been discovered on youtube otherwise. I agree the autotune mostly drowns it out though. And I limited my Bieber sample intake, so I might have been generous.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:31 pm

How do you know? You've never heard his non-autotuned voice. A lot of things have been discovered on YouTube, like Rebecca Black's Friday. Popularity does not equal quality.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:08 am

I've just looked up some old footage on him. He's got at least a decent voice. The thing with those old video's is that they haven't been edited much, so you can gauge Bieber pre-showbiz. Rebecca Black got roped in starring in a incompetent video clip that went viral because how bad it was,which is something very different.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 am

Too bad he sold out before even his balls dropped.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:35 am

Oh no, I was just trying to explain that the typical rockist abhorrence for electronic (and especially pop) music and its tools is misguided and stupid. I couldn't give less of a crumpets about sussing out the 'artistic merit' I see in a former Canadian YouTube star turned slightly less repellent pop star. I mean, the kid has three songs that I connected with on a visceral (not intellectual) level on a good day. Explaining why you should try liking some his new songs too doesn't interest me, Nartsy pants.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:39 pm

I really enjoyed Slipknot's latest album and their previous stuff had some moments, but I also enjoy a lot of electronic music. I think okay to be offended by something. Does my offense to Bieber et al's excuse for music mean I want to completely destroy it? No. I simply don't care about it, up until the point it starts to get put on the same pedestal as art that is actually, well, worthy of being called art.

Srsly, I love this. It makes me feel a hell of a lot more than any over-produced pop act ever could. And it's a hell of a lot more real.

An irl friend is dating the drummer. He's cool

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:55 am

let's discuss some real music

like spinal tap

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Meh I don't get pop hate.

It's pop precisely because the songs are written using the same old chord progressions and other composition techniques. It's then recorded with whatever the audio equipment of that particular time period is. Sometimes I find the result enjoyable, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll go back to a song I used to enjoy and find I can't stand it anymore. Other times I'll go back to something I thought was garbage and find I enjoy listening to it.

The fact that pop is so obviously manufactured deliberately doesn't make my enjoyment of it any less real. Debating whether or not it's actually 'art' isn't going to go anywhere. They're simply songs like any other.

Imano Ob
3DS Code: 0516-7426-0296

Post by Imano Ob » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm gonna guess that, while possibly enjoyable, most of these will never be considered "great". As in, they don't bring anything new, don't advance the medium, and never be memorable for long periods of time. Think of one of the middling Call of Duties or whatever versus Mario 64. Both can be enjoyable, but far more people remember and recognize the former as a great game. Or at least some groups do, I think. To people who aren't as involved, though, it doesn't really matter, so long as they like what they are hearing/playing/ seeing or whatever. There's room for both.
This signature is boring. I don't know why you're reading it.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:13 am

I don't hate pop.

I hate new pop.

Because it's crumpets.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:01 am

I believe they have been saying that for the past 30 years.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:19 am

Yes, about 30 years ago was when it started going downhill

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:57 am

justin beaver

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 am

Justin Bieber is one of those pop artists that will probably never entice me. But much like Bog said, it's not as bad as his previous stuff so I guess there's that. I still don't like it though, but now it is just a personal opinion.

And well, pop music is a bit autotunish nowadays, but calling it 'bad' is out of the question. You can't call an entire genre bad, at least not without looking like a total jerk. You can say you don't like it, however. It also makes it a lot harder to judge individual songs (pop, in this case) without your mind being clouded.
For example, I like Shake it Off and Blank Space from Taylor Swift, or Focus on Me by Ariana Grande (despite, or probably because, the awkward connotations that song has). But both artists also made a few songs I really don't like - and have them on the same album, even. Bad Blood makes me want to shut the radio down, for example.

That being said, I question the abilities of the current pop artists as musicians. A good pop artist is not necessarily a good musician, or the other way around, but hey, they can always work together to get something done. Nowadays, they are entirely different jobs (in the 70s, there were a good number of musicians that were pop artists as well, and also in the 80s).
My sig is a void.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:45 pm

next one comes this sunday

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Dragonite wrote:I believe they have been saying that for the past 30 years.
they have literally always been saying that

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 pm

Sven wrote:Meh I don't get pop hate.

It's pop precisely because the songs are written using the same old chord progressions and other composition techniques. It's then recorded with whatever the audio equipment of that particular time period is. Sometimes I find the result enjoyable, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll go back to a song I used to enjoy and find I can't stand it anymore. Other times I'll go back to something I thought was garbage and find I enjoy listening to it.

The fact that pop is so obviously manufactured deliberately doesn't make my enjoyment of it any less real. Debating whether or not it's actually 'art' isn't going to go anywhere. They're simply songs like any other.
Pop hate is for the young, particularly men who hate the democratization of media.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:37 pm

pop hate is simple

we all like crumpets that we like, and chances are the crumpets we like isn't going to be the crumpets everyone else likes

pop is something most people can enjoy, but it pales compared to what we ourselves consider to be great

this alone wouldn't create pop hate, but combine this with the fact that people bring up pop again and again, because it's pop, and people are continually reminded that the perceived good music of the masses =/= what they consider to be great music, and if you care about what other people think that's going to drive you mad.

and for a lot of people that results in hate

either that or the song legit sucks and the rest of the world sucks for enjoying it

take what explanation you will
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm

pop more like plop

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:01 am

Bonesy wrote:pop more like plop
You reminded me of this Dutch kiddie song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YWv4pWqk4

Appearantly, it is also popular amongst drunks.

Edit: After ten tries, I still don't get the Youtube tag working.
My sig is a void.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:55 am

So do number two man

Black Skinhead by Kanye West
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:37 am

i'm gonna get it up tomorrow

are

are you a fan of black skinhead????

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:38 am

ThunderWalker wrote:
Bonesy wrote:pop more like plop
You reminded me of this Dutch kiddie song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3YWv4pWqk4

Appearantly, it is also popular amongst drunks.

Edit: After ten tries, I still don't get the Youtube tag working.
yeah it's pretty stupid

Code: Select all

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kpk2tdsPh0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
try that

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Yeah, the youtube tag now uses the Embed code, IIRC.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.