Rate the Song #2: Kanye West's "Black Skinhead"

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

WHAT DO YOU RATE THE SONG.

10/10
10%
9/10
10%
8/10
No votes
7/10
No votes
6/10
10%
5/10
20%
4/10
No votes
3/10
No votes
2/10
No votes
1/10
10%
0/10
40%

Total votes: 10

Joey

Rate the Song #2: Kanye West's "Black Skinhead"

Post by Joey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:11 am

Week 1, Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean?": 4.3

I'm ready to call y'all a buncha racists.

This is from 2013 Yeezus, but Kanye's new album, Waves, drops February 11. Brace yourself.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Joey

Re: Rate the Song #2: Kanye West's "Black Skinhead"

Post by Joey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 am

If you didn't see him debut it on SNL, you gotta. Oh man, you gotta.

His performance of "New Slaves" on the same episode was also incredible.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:22 am

By the way, the current itinerary from the next editions of this are some of the top songs from this list: http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/singles/2015

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:41 am

kanye west is overrated

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:27 am

loud and obnoxious for me
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Not my style at all, to the point where I can't even really judge it, so I went with 5 to be nice.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:56 am

kanye west isn't he the one that made the dogs fight

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:15 am

some pretty good rhymes but the bizarre cawing noises bothered me. i also appreciate the video focusing on his sweet bod
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:48 am

since the other topic was locked i will post my contribution here

RATE THE SLAM JAM:

personally i think this one is a 10/10, sure it isn't quite as lighthearted as some of Quad City DJ's other material but what it lacks in laid back ness it makes up for in epicness. the mixing is a little uneven but who really cares. as usual the vocals and lyrics are top notch, truly capturing the tortured souls of the artists while simultaneously invoking the atmosphere of bugs bunny and michael jordan playing b-ball in space. the background music is pretty good too

i would honestly only rate this as a 9/10 but the historical significance of the song (namely, to WWN mafia where i once posted it before being disqualified) compells me to give it the full 10/10 treatment. truly musical perfection
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm surprised every time Space Jam cuts in and I don't know why.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Okay so, Black Skinhead.

First things first: I don't care for Kanye West. I rarely listen to rap and he's no exception. I would have never listened to Black Skinhead if it weren't for this combo video:

Rumor has it when Hungrybox was losing to PPMD in that tournament, he put on his earphones and started blasting this song. And that helped him win the game with ultimate swag.

The video is great, it's very well done. And the song itself is probably the best I've heard Kanye. I love the drums, I like the rapping (even if I don't care much for the lyrics), I love the rising tension. It's great. 9/10
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:34 pm

That SNL performance is amazing.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:28 pm

WWN is a place where it totally makes sense that dudes are like OMG LEMMY ; ( but then complain about rap because it is "loud"

anyway this is a ten out of ten and if you don't get it then i don't understand why you're dealing with music at all? like, are you totally thick to rhythm? are you impervious to the fact that loud and obnoxious means that it's great to rock out with your cock out? aren't you interested in the way he's talking about how his larger than life blackness makes the world hate him ("you see a black man with the white woman at the top floor they gon' come to kill king kong," "my homie was number one draft pick, they still burned his jersey in akron")

btw hungrybox is fudge awesome

also pk what the fudge was the point of carrying that crumpets over, let bonesy's worthless antagonizing crumpets die please

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:58 pm

I just don't like it and you act like it's a crime. What's the big deal?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Image removed.

let's discuss a real musical act like voivod

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Rap is objectively bad music and it is the moral duty of good men to hate bad art.

Also lol@ bonesy being literally hitler for making a topic about anime music

Joey why do you hate inclusiveness and diversity?

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:36 pm

When a topic is made with the clear intent of provoking reactions from other users and there's no real content or discussion then yeah, that's trolling and against both forum policy and common manners. If anyone wants to actually talk about whatever music or games or any other crumpets that they enjoy then they're welcome to, but using it as a vehicle to provoke fights is not cool and any further behaviour of that sort - from anybody - will not be tolerated.

Vent your juvenile frustrations elsewhere.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:38 pm

What other reason is there to post a topic than to provoke reactions? Serious question.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Disingenuous question.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Okay, so now that you agree there is no real difference between these topics can you unlock the other one?

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:09 pm

HPD wrote:I just don't like it and you act like it's a crime. What's the big deal?
Nah, you're fine. It's just part of a larger pattern which is frustrating.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Then don't include a literal rating system. A songs theme doesn't require liking a song either.

Music is generally infamous for being subjective. Isn't that the first thing you would expect with a song like this?

I could have taken my own logic and use that to rate it a tad higher, but it seemed dishonest to me for a song I didn't quite like personally(and I have no idea of it's actual merit as a rap song).

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:20 am

also pk what the fudge was the point of carrying that crumpets over, let bonesy's worthless antagonizing crumpets die please
bro im like grandfathered in because i announced i was going to do a rate a slam before this topic existed
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:28 am

i mean you have to look at it from my point of view

im dying of boredom at work and i see that bonesy has created an alternate rate the song topic and im like OH YES TIME TO POST A SLAM but i can't because im at work so i rush home excited to post my slam but then i see the topic has been closed and im not going to have any of that, but i realize that making another topic would be far worse, probably create a crumpets and get locked and i can't have my masterpiece review get locked so i figured you wouldn't mind if i posted one of my favorite songs in a topic about one of your favorite songs, y'know, spread the love instead of hate?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:28 am

i mean im definitely making fun of you but its good natured fun

like posting 3 posts in a row

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 am

How can you not love PK? He's like the soul of WWN currently.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:41 am

corn on the cob + space jam didn't work for me
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:32 am

0/10 because it's Kanye West. Like I'm going to take some crumpets manufactured idiot who thinks he's the saviour of music / mankind and wants to run for president seriously.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 am

Pkdragon wrote:i mean you have to look at it from my point of view

im dying of boredom at work and i see that bonesy has created an alternate rate the song topic and im like OH YES TIME TO POST A SLAM but i can't because im at work so i rush home excited to post my slam but then i see the topic has been closed and im not going to have any of that, but i realize that making another topic would be far worse, probably create a crumpets and get locked and i can't have my masterpiece review get locked so i figured you wouldn't mind if i posted one of my favorite songs in a topic about one of your favorite songs, y'know, spread the love instead of hate?
okay, this is good!

but also it was a topic that was pretty much openly to antagonize me, so maybe keep that in mind

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 am

daisy wrote:0/10 because it's Kanye West. Like I'm going to take some crumpets manufactured idiot who thinks he's the saviour of music / mankind and wants to run for president seriously.
you listen to slipknot dude

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:21 am

Pkdragon wrote:i mean im definitely making fun of you but its good natured fun

like posting 3 posts in a row
well i don't really appreciate it! i could into the current state of wwn, but please don't make yourself an accessory to people like bonesy, gipface, narts, or sven. i don't appreciate that! i don't want that, at all. so if you're humoring their "just having fun" (read: passive aggressive antagonism of me), you're pretty much just one of their accessories. please think about this more, i know you're a cool enough dude to

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:21 am

Pkdragon wrote:
bro im like grandfathered in because i announced i was going to do a rate a slam before this topic existed
so like THIS IS FINE but you also need to consider the context here, which is bonesy being an asshole

anyway sorry i roped YOU into this, you're a cool guy. but like, there was something happening here that was not just having a laugh at my expense.
Last edited by Joey on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:23 am

Joey wrote:WWN is a place where it totally makes sense that dudes are like OMG LEMMY ; ( but then complain about rap because it is "loud"
it's not because of the genre that this song is crap. There's plenty of rap with as much soul as Lemmy's stuff.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:24 am

lemmy's whole thing was that he didn't have a soul bruh

how dare you

Working man pk

Post by Working man pk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:00 am

I will have a response in greater detail when I get home but right now the pressing thing to say is that you need to catch up with wwn mafia you clearly don't understand my current persona

I mean, thinking I'm cool

Lmao

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:27 am

Posting to passively agressively antagonize Joey.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:29 am

Also, achewood is accurate.

Accurate about many things. But particularly this.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:12 am

also conflating "rip lemmy" with "not enthusiastic about this song by kanye west" is stupid

1. kanye west is still alive
wisdom

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:44 am

scraggypunk wrote:also conflating "rip lemmy" with "not enthusiastic about this song by kanye west" is stupid

1. kanye west is still alive
And even if he died he'd come back because he's a god. (cos he didn't get let into a club or something)

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:44 am

wasnt there a bitcoin but of kanye