PK's Backlog Rant

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

PK's Backlog Rant

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:20 pm

The Art of the Backlog

Why backlog? Well, tbqh, you either understand or you don't. But if you have a lot of a particular media you want to consume, a backlog WILL form, unless you are limited by the price of the media. Yeah, this is ultimately a rich person's problem, or the problem with someone who isn't rich but wasn't good managing the money he did have as a youth. Guess which one I fall into.

1) Where to set up a backlog:

For video games, I use Backloggery. You could also use Gamefaqs but ew Gamefaqs, also I like the customization of Backlogger pages more. Backloggery has one big problem- it's one single list, because gamers are binary and singleminded or something. I'll cover why it's a problem later.

For books, Goodreads. Goodreads has some awkwardness when it comes to page counts sometimes, but it's pretty good and lets you name your lists and sift through them.

Music, I've been using AllMusic's lists as a poor man's backlog, I'm sure there's better resources out there. I have a longstanding list of metal I created ages on the Metal Archives

if for some fell reason you want to create an animu backlog then My Anime List is your site

idk any others

you have google

2) how to create a backlog

don't, it's a horrible idea
but if you do want to, buy indie games cheap on steam
buy humble bundles
voila, backlog hell
or make a “backlog” of stuff you haven't bought but this has obvious flaws. It's also called a wishlist and it's called that for a reason.

3) the difference between a backlog and a wishlist

Backlogs are for what you own, or can own easily. Don't start a backlog for video games then fill it with a bazillion games you want to play, unless they are all cheap indies. Be careful even then. My book backlog is filled with books I want to read but don't own, but that's because I'm lucky enough to have a pretty decent library where I can get a lot of the books, and when I do need to buy a book they're cheap and they're great fodder for christmas/birthdays if you have people in your family who want to get you something that isn't cash but hate modern media/entertainment/having fun, just put a book on the list and there you go you own a new book and their conscience is appeased.

I also have a list of anime full of anime I don't own but that's because I'm a pretty shameless anime pirate. If that works for you with other stuff, that works too

The point is, there's enough marketing forces trying to get you buying stuff, you don't want to be adding your own self-directed peer pressure to that. Even without the cost, Backlogs are already a pain in the ass enough. (And for the love of god, keep your wishlists sane too. I mean real, legitimate, steam wishlists and stuff. Keep it limited to stuff you very really want. )

4)Adding to your Backlog

Ok, here is the first of three "tricks" for moving through your backlog, and it took me forever to figure this out and is in a way the inspiration for making this post.

Never add to your backlog after it's established. I mean, if it's a small backlog (under 50 titles) then w/e, but if you're hitting the hundreds (especially if you have multiple backlogs), stop adding things to your backlog.

Now here's the real trick. We're about to do some mental sleight of hand. Make a new list. Title it "The Next Generation" or something like that. Add your new stuff to that backlog. This is especially important for wishlists, btw. Now the most important step. Ignore it. This list is for new, fresh stuff. It is a reference page, not a backlog. It is to reference all the new books, music, and tv shows that you are actually excited to watch/listen/read. These books are fresh in your mind, so you shouldn't need to obsess over them, and reading them should be a pleasure, not an ordeal. As far as the BACKLOG goes, focus on the stuff on your BACKLOG first.

This doesn't work so well with video games, because every video game backlog page is set up so that you have one singular list. So, what I end up doing, is just not adding them to my list until they're basically worn and weary video games that have been abused and forgotten. Then I add them to my backlog. In the meantime, the core backlog is much easier to manage. That's what the mental sleight of hand is all about, keeping the damn thing easier to manage- and keeping wishlists from melding with backlogs.

5) The art of giving up, for fun and profit

Biggest way to make progress on a backlog is to be honest with yourself about media you just don't care about. Remember, you have nothing to prove, and if you do have something to prove stop working on your backlog and play league of legends or basketball or something. You are clearing your backlog for yourself, and some things then are just not worth your time.

This is where again a place where a site like Backloggery really annoys me, because it's both a list of games on your backlog and also an effective list of games you own, all on the same list. You could make two lists, but you'd need two accounts and it wouldn't be worth the time. But nevertheless, giving up on games that you just don't like is important. So void the damn thing. It's still part of your collection, but it's not part of your backlog efforts. Alternatively, if you are so done with the game that you know you're done forever, delete it entirely. Why are you tracking your collection if not to be proud of it? Why include a part of your collection you aren't proud of? Why not just metaphorically “trash” it? Hell, you can literally trash it, that's what I did with Dragon Quest 8 when I realized it bored me to sleep and all of the charm and appeal to nostalgia was wasted on me. I tossed it in the trash. I have never been so happy.

Steam lets you hide games. USE THIS FEATURE.

Now, how to tell when to let go? First of all it requires being true to what you like and what you don't like. Know thyself, then you can identify really quickly when a game isn't for you. Otherwise, you usually have a good idea of whether a game is for you or not within the first few hours or so. A game's gameplay is unlikely to change to the point where you actually love it, if you aren't impressed with it. A badly written story at the beginning is likely to still be badly written no matter how much higher the stakes get. Use common sense though, and remember that you don't have to literally trash something. Just put it away, out of sight, for a rainy day. A rainy day when you are free of the shackles of your backlog.

The first step, though, is to void a game you are done with, or remove The Hunger Games from your list even thought it's popular for a reason and that makes it worth reading right? Just do it. It'll get easier. And if you truly realize you were wrong, it's not hard to reverse.

BUT I AM A BADASS AND WANT TO BEAT EVERYTHING EVER

enjoy your impossible task, I think theres some greek term for it, I think it's like a pythagorean task or something, because pythagorean's theorem is basically impossible, like math in general. But basically, if you were a badass you wouldn't have a backlog, now would you? You would have found that game you are awesome at and applied yourself to it, or you would have gone outside and discovered it's much better to be a badass IRL than on the internet. And some would say that true badassity comes from realizing your limits. And beating every game you ever start is not intelligent. Don't be the stupid barbarian that dumped INT, be the wizard and break the game.

6) The art of being a pussy and using a guide (and other stories)

Ok, so you've come to understand that just because something is on your backlog (or you otherwise own it) you don't have to actually beat it, what about the games that you absolutely do want to beat? Well hopefully the last step cut your backlog down to a manageable level, like, 10 games left. Chances are, it didn't. If you have only 10 games you want to beat you're basically done stop using a backlog and beat the games. So how to proceed?

Cheat.

Again, you're doing this for yourself, to get rid of the weight of a thousand crushing backlogs. And look, we all know you could totally beat the game if you had the time, but you are a smart successful person and you have a job and that's why you have this backlog right? If not you are probably young and full of life and this entire post isn't meant for you, and if you aren't young and you don't have a job you are like me and have bigger problems then beating games legit.

Ok so first there's this site called gamefaqs it's pretty crumpets but it can be a pretty good resource for games, use it. Nice thing about it is that you can browse it at work if you have the right job and if you love RPGs and strategy games you can play the game in your head at work then go home and go through the motions. If you hit a puzzle, spend 5-10 minutes thinking about it/solving it/trying every item combination in your inventory. Then get up and look at the guide. Unless you like puzzle games for the puzzles.

Yeah, there's a certain caveat- if you enjoy a game or genre so much you just want to play and don't care if you beat the thing, that's fantastic. Don't cheat yourself of that entertainment. But also, mentally remove that game from the backlog. You're done. You've beaten it, in the way that matter: By discovering that it's a game that you enjoy for the sake of playing, not for the sake of being done with it. And a small secret: that's what this whole exercise is about, finding the games that are awesome that you'll never tire of, that's the whole reason to put yourself through this hell in the first place.

So don't overdo this step. But don't be afraid of the step.

Yes, this may reduce your enjoyment of the game in small amounts, but I tell you what will likely reduce your enjoyment even more, unless you're really into it? Being stuck. And wasting time.

Sadly this doesn't apply quite so much to tv and books. Books you pretty much have to read, and skimming can shorten the time but it can also make the time drag longer. TV, the only thing I have applies to anime- skip the OP if you value your time and the OP isn't amazing. It might grow on you, but really, does it really matter that a piece of promotional animation grows on you. And if you aren't immediately charmed by it, chances are it's not going to be that great. And skipping it can save anywhere from 18 to 36 minutes of your life per show. If you watch, say, 20 shows, you've saved whole hours of your life. Once you get into the hundreds, just imagine the TIME YOU HAVE GAINED IN YOUR LIFE.

PS: Another tip. Watch S-CRY-ED. It's an anime. Watch it until you see this chap named Straight Cougar. He's a wise man. Take his advice to heart.

With streaming this may screw you up depending on the streaming service and your internet, though. Still worth keeping in mind. If you're creative you may be able to avoid other repetetive scenes, but this is playing with fire. Same with skipping obvious filler and recap episodes, everything is fun and games until they decide to throw game changing plot twists in the god damn recap episode. There really needs to be a site dedicated to weeding out filler episodes that contribute nothing or little to a show. There's no reason to watch an episode with no significence.

I'm just starting to really abuse this line of thought, so I'm sure there's other ways to cheat your way into better time efficiency, so be creative with your cheating. And if you feel bad about it, go accomplish something in the real world... or just play a game you truly love for awhile.

7) The Real Reason to Keep a Backlog

Ok so that covered most of what I wanted to say- know thyself, be merciless in cutting out what you don't need, use a guide if you get stuck. But I want to reiterate.

You've got hundreds of games you want to play, why? To find gems in the rough. They exist. They're out there. They may be objectively terrible games, but that one thing they do right may just align so perfectly with your tastes that you'll love it. And you'll never know unless you try. And the only way to find these games is to sift through the stuff you don't enjoy as much. But it's not worth it unless you sift through the crap fast.

There's other benefits, of course. But this is the only one that really, truly justifies the whole backlog thing. So do it efficiently

Of course, I don't think many people have this problem with backlogs on this site. Really, I typed this out for myself, to remind myself to stop taking these silly things so seriously, to remind myself of my real goal. I shouldn't feel it's a personal loss to drop a game, or to cheat in a game if I'm only playing to see the ending. I don't have enough time in my life to do otherwise. Now that it's typed up in the open I can point back to it and laugh at it but hopefully still nod.

And maybe it WILL help someone, if not with a backloggery, but with the general message about time management and stuff.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Pkdragon

Re: PK's Backlog Rant

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:23 pm

and now for the TL;DR

1: don't backlog unless you feel the call or are rich
2: know thyself
3: time management is a pretty cool thing, and if you had learned it you wouldn't have a backlog
3a: watch scryed
4: never be afraid to stop playing a game
5: never be afraid to cheat in a game (single player that is, which is what backlogs kinda assume)
6: make multiple lists when possible
7: a wishlist is not a backlog
8: the ultimate goal is to find good games and have fun

also the fact that i wrote that post means i too need to rewatch scryed
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:18 pm

is this serious
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:23 pm

kinda

i mean it's basically thoughts i'd internalized and decided "hey it could be fun and vaguely satisfying to write up and if im going to write it up i might as well post it"

because i haven't done a longpost in awhile

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:29 pm

I don't maintain backlogs and especially I don't write multi-page rants about maintaining backlogs that nobody reads for the simple reason it would take too much time to be worth it.

I don't really time manage either (I'm afraid of spending too much time on it) You see I only buy the crumpets I actually care enough about to buy them there and then without much thinking. And even then I usually force myself to wait for a day or two and see if I still care (to minimise pure impulse buys)

Even then I end up spending more time on video games and other stupidity than I would like. It's actually the time I spend on it that I mourn more than the money spent. The money is just a byproduct of me spending time on what I actually like i.e. working. I nowadays partially justify all these games to myself etc. by them being kind of relevant to my work, so gotta keep up etc (I can even get tax reductions on them for this reason. Or I would if I weren't too lazy to fill up the forms)

Oh BTW it's Sisyphus. Or Hercules I guess, but your quest sounds more Sisyphean than Herculean to me. Pythagoras was the guy in the bathtub and he was a real person, not a mythical figure.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Oh BTW it's Sisyphus. Or Hercules I guess, but your quest sounds more Sisyphean than Herculean to me. Pythagoras was the guy in the bathtub and he was a real person, not a mythical figure.
Sisyphus there that's what i was thinking

i still like the idea of a pythagorean quest too tho

and yeah i mean most people shouldn't maintain a backlog because they aren't OCD

but who knows maybe there's a few lost souls out there like me. like, some of our newer generation of mafia players are young and OCD and could head down a dark path if i don't take pains to show them where that path leads

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Uh the bathtub story is about Archimedes. Pythagoras was the guy who hated beans.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:42 pm

sillyrantsbypk.tumblr.com
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:09 am

Terragent wrote:Uh the bathtub story is about Archimedes. Pythagoras was the guy who hated beans.
It's all greek to me

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:46 am

you know this is your fault narts

you posted that skate video

i watched all 8 minutes

somehow that led to this, i just know it

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:57 am

what this thread is telling me is that archimedes had a...

bathlog problem.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:15 am

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:50 am
The Art of the Backlog

all i need to know

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:26 am

i play what i want when i want

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:07 am

HPD wrote:sillyrantsbypk.tumblr.com
Is it a bad thing that I would totally follow this?

I really can't tell.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:03 pm

This is vintage PK <3
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:34 pm

why the fudge would you buy a game and then not play it
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:49 am

Humble bundles, other bundle deals. I have like eleven Star Wars games and I've played two all the way through and another two I played the tutorials.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:53 am

^ hawke knows

also, the excess of youth, being generally sheltered, and of course the thrill of getting a paycheck combined with steam sales.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:00 pm

if you don't play the other games then it's not a deal on a bundle now is it
wisdom