Rate the Song #3: Kendrick Lamar's "Alright"

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

WHAT DO YOU RATE THE SONG.

10/10
10%
9/10
No votes
8/10
No votes
7/10
10%
6/10
20%
5/10
10%
4/10
No votes
3/10
10%
2/10
10%
1/10
10%
0/10
20%

Total votes: 10

Joey

Rate the Song #3: Kendrick Lamar's "Alright"

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:33 am

Week 1, Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean?": 4.3
Week 2, Kanye West's "Black Skinhead": 3.6

Kendrick Lamar's album To Pimp A Butterfly dropped last year. Last night he set the Grammys on fire.

Actual song in the video below begins at 2:40.

"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Joey

Re: Rate the Song #3: Kendrick Lamar's "Alright"

Post by Joey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:34 am

His performance last night.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:00 am

i liked it, but i think if i heard it on the radio without the video i would be disinterested
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:31 am

Not having listened to it yet, I'll hope your average will reach at least 6 this time.

My impression is ''nightmare of somebody who fears the cops for good reason'', liked the video clip what was going with it. That was probably the intention(especially that ending). Instruments and the general flow make it a trippy song to listen in general. I again have issues with clicking with the style, which made the song feel a bit more repetive for me, but as I could clearly see the direction, and the execution is good 7/10. I'm still unsure if I go completely for my own taste or try to argue from some objective middle ground. If I'm relentless with the former approach, there's a large risk our gap in music tastes will result in many low ratings. It's nice to hear something I never have heard before, but I simply don't see it seeking it out for my own music needs after this.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:02 pm

The beginning is drawn out and gimmicky. Then it breaks out into full-blown rap (I probably wouldn't have listened if someone had warned) typical representative of the genre - might be almost passable house, if it weren't for the exceedingly (and probably intentionally) grating vocals.

1 / 10

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:50 am

Wtf.

What Narts said.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:14 am

why can't we rate some good music :^)

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:52 am

Ok actually going to listen to this one.

I'd give it 5/10 aka average (yes I'm using THAT scale). TBQH, I don't really think I have the rap knowledge to properly rate the song- it was ok, a bit repetetive, and while I wouldn't call the vocals "grating", they were a bit... awkward? I apologize I knows I'm supposed to rate the song based on lyrics, that's apparently rap's thing, but I didn't catch much of the lyrics besides NIGGER, NIGGER so it's probably best I don't touch that. In general, I'm not a fan of slow songs either, and this wasn't SUPER-SLOW but it definitely dragged a little. All that said, there were a few groovy moments so I mean I don't think it was a bad song, just definitely not something I can rate.

I feel like if you're trying to get us into rap you really need to pick more upbeat, entertaining song

i mean im not trying to do another topic hijack, just saying that im a simple man and this is rap that reflects my simple tastes
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:30 am

Repetitive. Some words as well as sentences are repeated all over again... a chorus should be more than the same sentence repeated five times, thank you very much. Also, no cool instrumentals to at least help him with a decent rating like in Black Skinhead.
3/10.

However... the rap PKDragon posted is much better and would score a nice seven if not an eight out of ten. Nice instrumentals, nice lyrics and I listened to it a second time despite rap being not my thing.

Still, a nice suggestion would be to post something other than rap next time, because otherwise it wouldn't be truly "rate the song" but "rate the rap" instead...
My sig is a void.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:10 am

I gave it six. I wouldn't get out of my chair to change the radio channel for it but I'd probably change it if I was walking past the radio.

The reason no one gives a crumpets Joey, is because the whole 'black issues' thing is mostly American, and you're trying to reach an international audience. I understand that it's a big deal to you. I understand it's absolutely abhorrent that an absurd amount of African Americans have been through your justice system. But that's not one of the big issues I and the people around me care about. It's not the big issue where the Europeans are. Slamming me with it over and over hoping for it to stick is not going to work.

And yes, I've heard his other stuff. I probably rate them all between 6 and 9. They aren't much more than popular rap songs to me.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:32 am

Why would you rate something that isn't "much more than popular rap songs" as 9?

How is 9 a lukewarm rating

Do you hate yourself?

Or do you just not know any actually good music

9 in my scale would be pretty much "GODLY, but there's this little thing..."

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:23 am

i enjoy rap as a genre and probably give it a baseline 8

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:33 am

so what's an example of rap that may be more my style, me being a peasant whose main exposure to rap is limited to gorillaz, madworld soundtrack, and the space jam song

im actually interested in listening to more of the genre at the moment, just this song doesn't quite do it for me

treed gave me an epic list once but i forgot to copy it and it's lost somewhere in the Now Playing topic lol
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:34 am

I also only would go for the 10 in very rare cases. With regular music, I can only think of one I would personally give a 10. Just because it's special and it pretty much means this song is approaching perfect or or you have very strong positive feelings for it.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:40 am

I think Sven summed things up quite nicely. This type of music just isn't going to work for me. It's just not very... uhh... interesting, I guess. The dull repetitiveness together with the grating vocals just makes me cringe.

Sorry, Joey. I don't mean to bash everything you post. It's just that this is what I feel about the music videos you post.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:48 am

Sven wrote:The reason no one gives a crumpets Joey, is because the whole 'black issues' thing is mostly American, and you're trying to reach an international audience. I understand that it's a big deal to you. I understand it's absolutely abhorrent that an absurd amount of African Americans have been through your justice system. But that's not one of the big issues I and the people around me care about. It's not the big issue where the Europeans are. Slamming me with it over and over hoping for it to stick is not going to work.
This.

It would probably be considered racist here to be so concerned with "black issues" to that level, as it generally isn't a problem here. The BNP/National Front have been all but eliminated and the various antifascist groups are now mostly more concerned with fourth wave feminism, which shows just how much free time they have on their hands.

Ask us to rate something that isn't crumpets plz.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:27 pm

wow you guys are being ridiculous
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:26 pm

i know right, i just realized i totally missed the opportunity to say

it's alright/10

i am a shame and a disgrace

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:16 pm

yeah europe has racial justice pretty much down huh

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Hey we had this Hitler guy who was pretty big about racial justice

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Depends on the country in Europe. At least for the Netherlands and the Nordic countries overt racism for black people seems to be relatively rare, and especially black people being killed by cops is a non-issue. The multiculuralism rift involving muslims gets far more attention right now. Of course, we have....

The country is currently into annual meltdown if Zwarte Piet/Black Pete is racist or not, and it's getting more intense. Probably will the costume norm will have shifted in a few years. It's a very different issue then the USA problems though.

Regardless of that, your last two songs had specific themes that are related to USA excesses of racism. Everybody not in the US might recognize the problem, but we still react in a different manner, perhaps breaking unwritten rules you're used to with like-minded people.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Even if I cared about the issue, it wouldn't make a difference.

See I listen to music for the music, not for social justice. If the music is crumpets, I'm not going to care what it's trying to say.

I heard enough of the lyrics to gather that it's something about niggers, bitches and po-po's and probably can't be all too intellectually stimulating even if I tried to dissect it and analyse all the deeper meanings.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:56 pm

Well, getting instinctively annoyed at hearing nigger every other sentence is probably a good thing right?
Black people of course can use it whenever they like in a ironic manner, just like I have total freedom with autism jokes(well, excluding severe cases of lower-function autism).
It's just firmly branded as crude in my mind and is grating to listen to in a musical context.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:51 am

Joey wrote:yeah europe has racial justice pretty much down huh
I'm pretty sure this is sarcastic, but for the most part, yes. At least compared to the US.

Really it comes off as racist that an artist is important because of his race.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:26 am

if Zwarte Piet/Black Pete is racist or not
It is.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:21 am

Funnily, Black Pete was originally just black because the poor guy entered the house through the chimney (so no racial stereotype at all).
My sig is a void.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:04 am

Honestly Joey, post something that's good because it's good, not because the artist is black. It makes no difference to anyone here.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:42 am

if you honestly think racism is solved anywhere on the planet you need to reevaluate your life
wisdom

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:14 am

ThunderWalker wrote:Funnily, Black Pete was originally just black because the poor guy entered the house through the chimney (so no racial stereotype at all).
This origin is not only irrelevant to present-day use but is a pretty untrue portrait of the origins of a Moorish servant.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:22 am

Ah, you're well read on the subject I see. It seems to have started with some schoolteachers story around 1850, and as the times changed the blackness was changed to soot, and the black pete changed from somewhat stern to nice. They are involved in Dutch live-action productions on tv each year, and usually are a tight group of people who help this forgetful old man manage stuff. Orgins may be racist, but current intent isn't willing racism. That at least counts for something. Public consensus is shifting slowly. In a few years their appearance will be altered to regular people with more realistic soot, and hopefully everybody can get a move on. I admit it's awkward, but at least it's something that doesn't involve people getting shot and can be fixed in peace over time. Took a few years, especially since people are used to it and nobody really associated it with looking down on black people(kids fully buy the soot story and tend to adore Black Pete, and are blindsided and initially offended of the racism claim when they have grown into adults as a result. It happened to me.), but stuff is moving.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 am

scraggypunk wrote:if you honestly think racism is solved anywhere on the planet you need to reevaluate your life
If you honestly think I said anything of the sort you need to reevaluate your reading comprehension abilities.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Dragonite wrote:Ah, you're well read on the subject I see.
He just looked it up on wikipedia and formed an opinion in five seconds.

That's what we do in the internet age.

Anyway, Ayn Rand already solved racism. Once everyone converts to Objectivism, it will no longer be a problem.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:46 pm

There also theories the black helper orginated as a demon/pagan something of sorts forced into servitude in medivial lore. How the 'moorish freed slave' theory relates to that is beyond me.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:25 am

"How do we get rid of racism?"
"Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man and you can stop calling me a black man."

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:01 am

That's the complete opposite of what every civil rights leader anywhere wants.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/12/11/ ... ut-racism/

But way to trot out a line that racists everywhere love to use.

You're endorsing the idea of ending oppression by not confronting it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 am

But thank you for showing us who you believe represents black America.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:15 am

It is in fact I who represent Black America.

After all, it being a concept without a meaning, it can be represented by anyone.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:15 am

Blacks are likely to be shot, among a lot of other nasty stuff. It's certainly reasonable to want to talk about it.

Freeman's angle is also very valid though, if you look at what he truly means by it. Just talking and interacting to human to human without any of this race crap being a issue anymore whatsoever is the pretty much the final goal, and it's probably that desire that he's venting.

Balance between both depending on context seems to be the key.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:33 am

Joey wrote:You're endorsing the idea of ending oppression by not confronting it.
It's confronting it by taking issue with people who make an issue out of it.

Also you linked to a US-centric website.

Now can we talk about the music instead of going all SJW?

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:55 am

I posted a song and people got up in arms about it without me even saying anything.