Let's Play: X-Com: Apocalypse

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Narts

Let's Play: X-Com: Apocalypse

Post by Narts » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:40 am

We're playing at Novice difficulty. Don't be fooled - because this is classic X-Com, that actually means will-puncture-your-eyeballs-with-screwdriver difficulty.

The story goes that it's year 2000 or something whatever and Earth is being invaded again by aliums from ANOTHER DIMENSION whatever idontcare blah blah. I think it's the third time they're trying to do it? They should just give up by now. Anyway it's up to a random poorly funded PMC called X-Com to save Earth, or rather whatever's left of it. You see, all these alien invasions and environmental catastrophes have taken their toll and all of humanity is living in a single city called Mega City One. (IIRC)

I'm not going to ask you to micromanage my game this time, but I may call on you idiots to make a key decision every once in a while. Most importantly, I'm going to let you name stuff. And boy does this game have things to name!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Look at these tossers. Every single one needs a name. These randomly generated abominations just won't do.

I sold most of our starting vehicles (frankly we only need one at this point), but we still have this Heinleinian beauty to christen.

ImageImage

I took the liberty of calling the abandoned warehouse that contains our home base Wars World News - it used to belong to a defunct holo channel. Guess world news weren't that interesting when 99.99% of the world's surface area is radioactive wasteland.

scraggypunk

Re: Let's Play: X-Com: Apocalypse

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:59 pm

it's certainly colourful enough to be wars world
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:21 pm

i keep reading that first character as michael bolton
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:24 pm

One thing's for sure, this game has oddball art direction. 1950's retro stylings meet anime-inspired power armour and weird claymation aliens.

This is what the guys will be wearing for first combat.

I used to dislike it for how it felt less serious compared to its predecessors but it has sort of grown on me just because of how unique it is.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:35 pm

I wanna be David Davies! Please rename him Linky Linkies.

I have no idea what to call the ship.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:10 pm

Well, if we want it AW themed, it can be "The Great Owl".

And I can totally be Patricia. She looks badass enough.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Can I be Grigoriy?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:46 am

gimme gudrun meyer plz kthx

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:15 am

Time's up! Things are renamed thusly:

Valkyrie Interceptor 1 -> The Great Owl

Micheline Bouton -> Michael Bolton
David Davies -> Linky Linkies
Catherine Hudson -> Rachel
Patricia Bryant -> Xenesis Xenon
Gudrun Meyer -> monkymeet
Helga Geisler -> Jess
Samuel Stoddard -> pkdragon
Grigoriy Scharov -> Hero Psycho Dreamer
Galina Romanov -> Deoxy Scraggypunk
Marielle Gaudin -> Valerie

There are also three new recruits I hired but forgot to tell you about! Mainly because I didn't realise you can already view and name them while they're on the way. They are:

ImageImageImage

WEE WOO WEE WOO!

Our first alien alert. It's from the Ozone Building, corporate HQ of the Extropians, a sort of cult/political entity of transhumanists who want to solve all social problems using technology. They're led by a guy named Urusan.

I send a full squad of 12 to investigate, leaving only Nell behind to watch over the HQ.

Thunderbirds are GO!

Terr and Ale climb the stairs at the Extropian HQ's humble entrance.

After kicking down a few doors, Terragent finds the cause of the alarm at a conference room: A weird blue guy and his brown pet... thing. He almost blows himself up with a poorly timed grenade but survives without a scratch (those Megapol armors are made of stern stuff) while the smaller alien is not so lucky. The blue one succumbs after a brief firefight.

The mission is a success. No casualties. Terragent is promoted. An alien artifact is brought home.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:32 am

This is going to be good.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:07 am

congrats terr
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:15 am

yes, congrats, you just killed a member of the blue man group
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:07 am

Week 1 score.

Our physicists discover the purpose of the strange things hovering above the city.

Almost immediately, a gaggle of pulsating craft of unfamiliar construction burst out of them.

The Great Owl moves to intercept while the UFO's engage in skirmishes with the city authorities.

Reports flow in of several police cars being destroyed.

The larger, american football shaped object is downed by the Great Owl while the cops take care of the two smaller ships. Only one UFO escapes.

The crash landed UFOs, found to be unmanned, are scooped up and brought back to the home base.

The scientists begin immediately studying them.

Another live alien alert. Location: Transtellar space port.

I have installed an extra crew compartment on the Owl so Nell can join us on this sortie.

After traversing the wide open boarding area, the X-Com operatives come into contact with another of the blue weirdoes walking out of the building. (Spotted by HPD)

Valerie hugs the ground. Firefight ensues. This blue guy, like the one before it, is using some strange sort of cannon to launch the brown creatures through air, which clearly are some kind of a living weapon. Come to think of it, all of their technology seems to be living in nature.

*to be continued*

P.S. Valerie going prone gives me great peace of mind. This is the only X-Com game that allows soldiers to do this. I am triggered by games that don't let you go prone. But this game is zen. All is well and good in X-Com Apocalypse land.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:14 am

Welp we've already had a grenade to the foot so it's officially a legit x-com game.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:30 am

I am late and therefore something awesome must be named on my behalf.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:30 am

One of Valerie's explosive rounds finishes the bugger off, but one of his 'ammunition' survives. It tries to leap on her head, but she deftly dodges. Her teammates frantically try to kill the evil little creeper, with HPD eventually succeeding.

More aliens emerge from another door. Pink guys with nothing but a hole for a head, which they use to spit green acid, and large green worms crawling on the ground.

All the teams concentrate fire on the group of baddies who just keep coming out of the central door.

Another of the brown little ones sneaks up on Michael Bolton and proceeds to SUCK HIS BRAIN OUT, turning him into a zombie. Xenesis, despite kneeling right next to him is too absorbed in shooting to notice.

A third brainsucker appears, this time attacking Xenesis. He dodges by going prone. The brainsucker dies for an unknown reason.

Xenesis seems to have gone insane. He crawls up to Zombie Bolton and begins worshipping him. Did he get his brain sucked after all?

Bolton opens fire. Xenesis snaps out of it and begins emptying his clip into Bolton.

These Megapol armors really are tough stuff.

Bolton's helmet is blown off, he twitches a little, and falls on the ground.

RIP.

Pink and green aliens keep pouring out of the door and marching into the killzone. It's a massacre.

Linky decides to speed up progress by throwing a grenade at the door. The explosion causes one of the worms to burst open... releasing a batch of smaller baby worms that begin quickly crawling towards Linkman!

The worms are eventually dealt with by some capable shooting by Linky and his friends.

Rachel follows linky's example and bombs the door, but this time using a stun grenade that releases a cloud of thick green smoke. It's unclear what effect this had, if any.

Eventually the flow of aliens through the door dries out. X-Com wins once again.

Multiple promotions!

To fill the hole left in our hearts by the passing of Michael Bolton, I hired this guy. But he needs a proper name.

@Kanzer: You can be him if you want.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:16 am

Sure thing.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Oh good, I am officially the loose cannon soldier.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:38 pm

The scientists have made progress studying the alien artefacts and downed vessels and the research results are flowing in.

Another fleet of UFO's arrive through the gates and the Owl is sent to greet them. All of the vessels are of the now familiar unmanned probe and scout ship types.

One downed probe is recovered. The Great Owl receives slight damage that is repaired quickly.

A new alien sighting at Nietzsche Institute, HQ of Nanotech corporation. The agents are sent to investigate.

While climbing the stairs, Deoxy comes under fire. She can't see the enemy so she takes cover behind one of the pillars.

A blue MAN is spotted at the entrance.

Shortly his friends burst out of the front doors and begin assaulting the X-Com agents head on.

A chaotic firefight ensues.

HPD gets wounded by a spitter projectile.

He is trying to retreat but Terragent blocks the way and HPD gets brainsucked!

Evil zombie HPD on rampage. Terragent is retreating.

HPD is overwhelmed by superior firepower and runs off, disappearing upstairs.

Alecat, who had sneakily moved to flank from the other side, gets a critical injury and is forced to retreat.

Having reached safe distance, Ale begins administering first aid to herself, while monkymeet gives cover.

The aliens are panicking (see the red emoticon). A dead HPD is spotted lying motionless at the top of the stairs. He must have bled out from his wounds.

Most of the squad is out of ammo by now. I should stop being such a scrooge and bring more clips to these fights. I'm still thinking in terms of the original X-Com, which was turn-based and gave you full control over your soldiers and where two clips per soldier was usually enough. I keep forgetting how wasteful the soldier AI is in Apoc.

Having run out of ammo, Rachel picks up HPD's gun and finishes off the last remaining spitter.

We are victorious. RIP HPD though.

Promotions.

Since the Great Owl is now equipped with a bio-transport module, we are returning several specimens of dead aliens to the base, among them a live alien egg. The biochemists begin work immediately.

A new hire. You know what to do.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:59 pm

Why am I not surprised I died a horrible death?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Your fault for calling yourself ''psycho''. That's exactly what happened.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 am

This is fun and very entertaining. RIP in Pepsi HPD tho.

monkymeet

Post by monkymeet » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 am

so that's what hpd stands for

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 am

So, is brainsucking reversible, or is it always a instant-kill which results in another enemy?

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:36 am

What do you think

They literally get their brains sucked out

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:19 am

Well, they can still aim... Shielding probably exists at some point though. Otherwise this game is indeed hard yeah.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:51 am

I don't actually recall if there was a technology to counter it... probably not. It's usually pretty easy to avoid just by going prone, though.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:34 am

XCOM or Mafia: HPD still dies early :(

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:09 am

Narts wrote:I don't actually recall if there was a technology to counter it... probably not. It's usually pretty braindead to avoid just by going prone, though.

Just being evil. Move along.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:38 pm

godspeed hpd

name the new guy jerkbutt
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:21 am

Dmitriy Petrov is now known as Grimm.

The next alert is from an apartment complex owned by Transtellar.

A brainsucker sneaks into the apartment pk is investigating but his colleagues outside warn him and he deals with the situation professionally.

ImageImage

The aliens are pincered into a junction of corridors and massacred efficiently. Some of them retreat deeper into the complex where they are hunted down and cornered.

Pk gets eaten alive by worms and not even Rachel can prevent it.

Other than pk's unfortunate demise, the operation went smoothly.

Valerie was promoted to squad leader and Rachel is now a squaddie.

There is a new hire.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:51 am

rip
wisdom

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:23 am

Wormfood Pk.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:13 pm

i wouldn't accept anything less than getting eaten alive on my first mission

i mean look at how out of position i was, that's totally me
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:47 am

Where does one sign up for the XCOM recruit list?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:58 am

you already died
wisdom

Imano Ob
3DS Code: 0516-7426-0296

Post by Imano Ob » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:51 pm

I demand to have the not yet named character who dies the stupidest death retroactively named after me.
This signature is boring. I don't know why you're reading it.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:10 am

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:13 am

The next mission is at Scrooge Mansions, an apartment building in the slummy outskirts of the mega city. This is the Diablo gang's turf.

While approaching the building, Terragent spots a spitter peeking out from a second floor apartment window.

Rather than try to engage with the enemy from a disadvantaged position, the squad moves on.

The main entry to the building goes through a central anti-grav elevator.

There is also a fire escape on the east side of the building. Grimm and Deoxy find the stairway to be occupied by the enemy, however, and rather than try to fight their way through, they stay on guard while the rest of the squad carefully approaches the lift.

The elevator is found to be infested by worms.

After the worm problem has been dealt with, Nell and Narts begin sweeping the second floor, backed up by Rachel.
Last edited by Narts on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:12 pm

I read on, enthralled.