Let's Play: X-Com: Apocalypse

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Let's Play: X-Com: Apocalypse

Post by Xenesis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:35 pm

So many worms. Can't we just raze these buildings down to the ground?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Yes, it's an option. You just have to bring enough explosives. Should we try it with the next mission?

(The city's government doesn't like it though. Collateral damage causes a hit to income. But it is an option)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:07 pm

What could possibly go wrong?

lynch buildings
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:13 am

ImageImage

Narts and Nell run into some spitters in the west side of the floor.

Spitters are weak in close range so they were easily dealt with.

Worms and brainsuckers keep coming from the elevator. As long as the elevator is not secured on every floor, this will be a problem.

Kanzer is critically wounded in the attack. He tries to treat himself but a second wave of worms kills him.

Rachel is left alone - Narts and Nell run as fast as they can to reinforce her... but they arrive too late. Nell has to witness her sister being eaten alive.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:25 am

Friggin' worms.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Rough.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Yep. Razing buildings. Do that.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:55 pm

Tell my wife I'm two stacked dwarves.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm going to interrupt this for a moment to talk about a dream I just had.

It was about Kanye West stealing my original copy of X-Com: Apocalypse which I was carrying around on two floppy disks for some reason and me chasing him down with my friend and getting it back. He was the faster runner and seemed to have experience running away from multiple chasers but I was able to corner him thanks to my knowledge of the streets of Helsinki.

I was ready to fight for it but when he realised it was only about the theft instead of some fanboys wanting his autograph or whatever he seemed visibly relieved and just handed the disks over.

Because my dreams are realistic, the media picked up the story but all the facts were distorted in bizarre ways. I was described as some kind of a maniac "injecting video into his skulljack instead of medicine" and the item stolen was my video game gun instead of two floppies. There was even a cute pixel art animation where me and my friend were shown as huge muscular thugs wearing Oculus Rifts and buying "video" from an ambulance stopping at the sidewalk. I think the soundtrack for the animation was composed by Kanye himself for the purpose.

#thuglife

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:30 pm

ok
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:41 pm

I think we need a dream interpreter here
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:44 am

Worms are now coming from the fire escape as well.

I have to order Valerie to hold fire so as not to blow up Deoxy with her explosive rounds.

Nell on the second floor observes a blue MAN and a spitter accessing the fire escape from the inside.

The blue guy is about to arrive to the ground level. Grimm acts quickly.

The grenade causes part of the staircase to collapse, but the aliens are unharmed.

A civilian gets gunned down by Narts and Nell. Oops.

Neither wants to take responsibility.

A number of confused aliens trapped in the fire escape. They can't climb down because the stairs have collapsed, and inside they would face N-team's firing squad that doesn't discriminate between civilian and alien. So they just stand around and get massacred by the ground team.

Narts & Nell finishing off the last of the alien squad.

The mother worm bursts open and the baby worms begin gnawing on Narts' meaty legs.

The situation seeming hopeless, she does the only thing to be done.

Narts sets a stun grenade to detonate immediately and drops it to the floor.

Gas attack! Both Narts and Nell fall unconscious together with a couple of civilians and worms.

To be continued...

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am

val's my pal
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:33 am

crumpets status: hitting fan.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:46 pm

That map actually looks pretty crazy.

I have a stereotype of classic X-Com missions mostly taking place in dark farm fields but that's probably because I never got past the first mission, lol.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:02 pm

In the first game most of the missions did take place in farm fields. Had something to do with the map type being determined based on where the UFO landed and most of the globe being defined as "farmland".

In Apocalypse, there's a more even distribution of different maps and this one is nothing yet as far as crazy goes.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:15 am

Jess and Deoxy run to the second floor to regain control of the situation.

They storm the eastern apartments killing panicking aliens as they go.

The stunned worms are killed one by one as they wake up. They're only dangerous when attacking as a group.

Eventually Nell and Narts regain their consciousness.

The elevator's surreoundings on the second floor have been secured so the squad sets up camp there. Narts is hanging close to death so I put her in the dead end corridor in the back as it looks like the safest place.

This floor seems to be cleared so I send Grimm and Deoxy ahead to the third floor.

Actually it looks like the number on the floor says "2" so I guess I'm counting them right and the floor is wrong.

A large worm is encountered.

Since stun grenades seem to work on these guys Nell uses one.

The big one doesn't seem to care about the gas though, and Nell has run out of both grenades and ammo so she runs back to the previous floor and picks up late Kanzer's stash of stun grenades. She returns to throw another stun grenade at the worm.

A third gas grenade misses entirely and the worm enters the apartment where Grimm and Deoxy are trapped. They're getting dangerously close to running out of ammunition, but the worm eventually falls asleep next to the door. The effect of the gas is delayed on these bigger worms I guess.

The aliens have been defeated.

A whole bunch of promotions. Terragent is our first sergeant.

This is the only guy insane enough to join X-Com at this time after all these brainsuckings and other deaths.

I buy up all the explosives I can find on the market, which is disappointingly little. I had forgotten how limited the selection of weapons is in early game. No rocket launchers even! This third X-Com is even worse equipped than the first one. What happened to all those plasma guns and alien grenades huh!!

7 Marsec High Explosives, 25 Megapol AP Grenades, 3 Megapol Auto Cannons, and 10 Auto Cannon HE Clips were bought.

We'll have higher destructive potential now, but we won't be flattening any buildings I'm afraid.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:25 am

Squad Leader Deoxy is very fitting
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:01 am

Does promoting increase stats?

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:55 am

I think stats are increased only by training and experience in combat. I'm not actually sure what the exact effect of rank is (if anything)

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:46 am

Saving lives from beyond the grave. I'm so proud of myself.