Rate the Song #4: Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment's "Sunday Candy"

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

WHAT DO YOU RATE THE SONG.

10/10
10%
9/10
10%
8/10
20%
7/10
10%
6/10
10%
5/10
10%
4/10
No votes
3/10
10%
2/10
20%
1/10
No votes
0/10
No votes

Total votes: 10

Joey

Rate the Song #4: Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment's "Sunday Candy"

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 am

Week 1, Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean?": 4.3
Week 2, Kanye West's "Black Skinhead": 3.6
Week 3, Kendrick Lamar's "Alright": 4.0

From Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment's album Surf, emceed mostly by Chance the Rapper.

This series will continue indefinitely.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

daisy

Re: Rate the Song #4: Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment's "Sunday Candy"

Post by daisy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:40 am

Boring and annoying. Do you honestly think it's a 10?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 am

This one's pretty fun. Solid pop. The dance moves are pretty awesome. 7/10.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:57 am

daisy wrote:Boring and annoying. Do you honestly think it's a 10?
It's almost like I chose this and the last one for a reason.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 am

Now we're talking

8/10

EDIT: i mean idk objectively it may be closer to a 7/10 based on the 5/10 = average scale, but i was just happy joey finally picked something i could actually listen to
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:08 am

I will have to listen to the full song later, as I'm tired. However.. Donnie Trumpet, really? That's uh... ironic now.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:48 pm

wait how is that ironic

For the record, while this is often hailed as a product of Chance the Rapper, who is exactly what he sounds like he is, Donnie Trumpet is more the leader of a collective of instrumentalists and soul artists.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:34 pm

i liked it a lot
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:26 pm

Doesn't really do anything for me, though I don't actively hate it either. 3/10

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Joey wrote:wait how is that ironic

For the record, while this is often hailed as a product of Chance the Rapper, who is exactly what he sounds like he is, Donnie Trumpet is more the leader of a collective of instrumentalists and soul artists.
I was reminded of a certain politician.
Last edited by Dragonite on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Ehrgh. Average and just that. 5/10 .

However, glad you are trying to choose something different this time Joey ^
My sig is a void.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:14 am

I wasn't.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:23 am

Topic sucks and is now about Pendulum reforming. hype.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:46 am

so joey this one was clearly much more successful you can tell by the fact that people just left a vote and didn't bitch each other out as much

but we need to talk about the future of this series

while your picks are interesting i also would be interested in seeing what narts would consider good music and i too wouldn't mind throwing down some 20 minutes prog songs to troll the board with

or just david bowie

so what do you say we make this a round robin? you can cover the rap and pop, i can cover the prog, metal, and david bowie, and narts can cover wtf he listens to, etc

just a thought
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:58 am

I agree. It might be better to pass the card around.

Also, after all the racial talk and because I doubt we select any black artists otherwise (metal is, for some reason, a predominantly white genre and I think at least half the board listens to that in some shape or form), I'll share this song from a black artist that I always really, really loved to hear.
And I'd like to add, that if you do not know the song in the spoiler below, you're a barbarian (even being a metalhead isn't an excuse).
Spoiler: show
Oh, and talking about rap, it is kinda sad we missed this one. I don't like it because it is a good song (it isn't) but because of how f*cking ridiculous it is. How can one perform that even without bursting down in hysterical laughter? I know I would.
Lyrics are NSFW for those that do not know the song, but much like with the previous, I think we all do.
Spoiler: show
Talking about this, I think my picks in a round robin would be absolutely, totally random. It can be literally anything and everything.
My sig is a void.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:16 am

I personally have been listening to pretty much all jazz for the last few weeks. I would nominate Charles Mingus' Goodbye Pork Pie Hat if I could.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:47 am

I now watched it(briefly), and it's a 6 for me. The song has a very retro vibe, and when it's done in such a matter it tends to feel so very... off to me. Singing and dancing was excellent though. Could have gone higher based on that. But eh.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:53 am

i loved the retro vibe it was the best part of the song for me

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:30 pm

It reminds me of odd museums, childhood boredom with those plastics kitchens, and the oversaturated colours feels like bizarro reality. Meh.
Some of you also might know that one smashing pumpkins videoclip in which a girl goes into a drug-induced nightmare in which a oversaturated creepy-happy retro places devolves into shooting each other and vomiting, all while laughing manically. That... kind of made my aversion worse. :D

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Are you clowns rating the video or the song

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:58 pm

We're probably easy pickings for cynics who claim video clips ruin music, yeah.

Bogman

Post by Bogman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:31 am

I'm sure I have a song or two for you to rip apart.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm not passing around the torch and will continue the series as its ruthless dictator, even if no one is commenting or voting. Linkman once successfully appealed to me on something for y'all to vote on. I'm sure y'all can do the same. I might make a format to accommodate suggestions and crumpets.

I have the next few weeks scheduled. Another black artist is next, not rap though. But no, this is not all black artists, as you will see in just a little over a week.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Narts wrote:Are you clowns rating the video or the song
Dragonite wrote:Singing and dancing was excellent though. Could have gone higher based on that. But eh.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Why was the now playing topic closed but this is allowed?

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Joey wrote:
Narts wrote:Are you clowns rating the video or the song
Dragonite wrote:Singing and dancing was excellent though. Could have gone higher based on that. But eh.
I went ahead with rating this really late at night. I discovered writing the post that I had been somewhat kneejerk. Hey, at least I'm going through the effort of making myself look bad. :p
-

Now playing was bad because it was spamming posts with no context whatsoever. New posts are better when there's something worthwhile to read.
If Joey hogging Rate the song is bad(we went several years without it though), you could always make your own topic at the same time. It's not like this subforum would mind more activity.. Actually, I really would like it. Keeps me from getting bored from exclusively taking looks at Joey's music taste for several weeks in a row.Variety is the spice of life etc.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:09 am

Dragonite wrote:
I went ahead with rating this really late at night. I discovered writing the post that I had been somewhat kneejerk. Hey, at least I'm going through the effort of making myself look bad. :p
-

Now playing was bad because it was spamming posts with no context whatsoever. New posts are better when there's something worthwhile to read.
If Joey hogging Rate the song is bad(we went several years without it though), you could always make your own topic at the same time. It's not like this subforum would mind more activity.. Actually, I really would like it. Keeps me from getting bored from exclusively taking looks at Joey's music taste for several weeks in a row.Variety is the spice of life etc.
No. We're not gonna spam these crumpets topics.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:30 am

I don't think these topics are crumpets as all, and that came across as really hostile HPD. I'm in Dragonite's camp, I find these topics interesting it just would be nice to have some variety. Ah well, what can you do.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:42 am

i don't see what's wrong with people making "rate this song i like" topics
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:43 am

In hindsight I shouldn't have axed my last sentence.. ''We can do what we want with the forum as long as the mods allow it''. I didn't expect a topic to show up in just a few hours without further discussion, nor did I expect mods indeed going after it.

My idea was more of a counter to Joey's statement about being a ''ruthless dictator'' with these topics. I get what your concern is HPD, but...context. If you're going to mod, include the root issue.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:05 am

I believe there is a perfectly good general music discussion topic. What's the issue with posting in there?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:12 am

POLLS

Hey, I'm doing political science.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:07 am

polls are a great incentive to listen to a song tbqh

im genuinely curious in the results of them

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:52 am

Yeah, as long as it's kept to one a week I don't think it's a problem at all. It will bring some more life to the board.

We should still fire Joey though. But if that's not possible and it's just going to be popcorn music no one will give a crumpets about in <5 years time, then yeah please stop.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:48 am

If we all of us make one topic every week, we should probably have our own Rate the Song subforum... lol
My sig is a void.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:17 pm

I will be an all-powerful but benevolent dictator, is how I should have said it. At a point very soon suggestions will likely fuel things.
But if that's not possible and it's just going to be popcorn music no one will give a crumpets about in <5 years time, then yeah please stop.
It's actually completely hilarious that anyone would say this about Kendrick Lamar.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:00 pm

No, I was defending you. I was showing that you already said you didn't actually end up giving the song extra points for its video, you just mentioned that you liked it.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Joey wrote:I will be an all-powerful but benevolent dictator, is how I should have said it. At a point very soon suggestions will likely fuel things.
But if that's not possible and it's just going to be popcorn music no one will give a crumpets about in <5 years time, then yeah please stop.
It's actually completely hilarious that anyone would say this about Kendrick Lamar.
Please do go on because I hadn't heard Lamar's name since like 2009.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:27 pm

Kendrick Lamar sounds more like one of those names that will make songs frequently, scores a hit every now and then but no one gives a damn and therefore have little overall influence, like Bruno Mars, Katie Perrie and Taylor Swift. Sure the sell well and stuff, and they all make some songs that I can actually listen to, but we all know that they will fall out of grace eventually and no one really cares.

There are older examples as well, Tina Turner especially. Fairly unnoticeable but we know her name and she scored a few hits in the 80s, but everybody forgot about her in the 90s and now no one cares anymore.

I would not be surprised if Kendrick Lamar also ends up in this category - a few years in which they are famous, but no one truly cares about them once they quit or whatever. So yeah, Bog's right with the 'popcorn music comment', as I cannot see Kendrick Lamar on the same level as, say, Queen.
My sig is a void.