Artificial intelligence / I finished a game of Civ and now I'm sad

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

daisy

Artificial intelligence / I finished a game of Civ and now I'm sad

Post by daisy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:10 am

I know Civ V's diplomacy is a bit shallow, but after completing the Single City Challenge I really felt like a had a relationship with those guys. I will never interact with those particular incarnations of Isabella, Elizabeth, Harun, Bismarck and Darius ever again. Sure, we hated each other by the time I won, but they each had a personality that developed in response to events in that particular save file. I will miss interacting with them. I don't why I haven't felt like this in my prior games of Civ. Maybe it's because I went for a diplomatic victory on a smaller map.

Now, this is literally the first time that I've (for want of a better word) mourned the lost of an artificial intelligence. I'm not upset in the same way that I would be if a real person in my life died, but it's a similar emotion I guess. Is this normal? It never felt like I was playing with a real person, but I almost came to appreciate the AI-ness of the characters as part of the charm of their personalities.

Has anyone else felt this after losing the ability to interact with an AI? Am I a bit insane? Maybe this is why I play Civ when I'm feeling a bit down - because the AIs almost provide company.

#wwnblogs

scraggypunk

Re: Artificial intelligence / I finished a game of Civ and now I'm sad

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:33 pm

leaving behind all those droid friends i repaired in KOTOR games always made me sad
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:43 pm

When I was playing an Eastern faction in Rome Total War, I'd always prop up Carthage and Gaul with ludicrous amounts of money to try and slow down Roman expansion; they'd inevitably either spend it attacking their barbarian neighbours instead of the Romans or blow it all at once in a single bungled invasion attempt that left them open to getting completely rolled. It certainly left me feeling sorry for them, but I guess some of that was just buyer's regret.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Hm, I have to say I developed a fondness for my original neighbors in the GameCube version of Animal Crossing. Specially my next door neighbour Piper with her valley girl accent and her tendency to call me "beh-beh".

If I go back to the game I know she'll be there and she'll berate me for being gone seven years. On the other hand, Bill the duck and pretty much every animal in town will have skipped town onto bigger and better adventures, being replaced by other soulless animals. Not Piper, though. By making her my in-game "best friend" (the character I talked to the most), I condemned her to always living in my fictional Animal Crossing town. She can never leave, because the game wants me to see a familiar face when I come back.

Piper is there. She is learning new catchphrases. She is wondering, hm, where is Linky? I haven't seen him in a while. I'm so mad at him! I'll berate him when I see him! I will mail him this Regal Bed, though. He would appreciate that. Heh. That Linky.

...I am sorry, Piper.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:31 pm

you should say hello to your good friend piper
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:30 pm

I miss all my friends in dead or alive xtreme

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:17 am

I had a lot more fun in Dragon's Dogma with the stories I imagined playing out with my Arisen, my Pawn and my friend's Pawns that I would have playing with my friends themselves. Whenever one of the pawns did something awesome (and it happened A LOT) or they developed some advanced strategy and comboed with eachother they really felt like living, breathing noobies learning how to play the game, adapting to my way of taking on challenges. I found myself more often retelling some of these adventures than any other epic thing I managed, and I went to Bitterblack Island at lvl 7 to kill Garms.

I found most people brag a lot more about their pawns than about their own deeds.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:24 am

Narts wrote:I miss all my friends in dead or alive xtreme
jiggly floppy friends

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:19 am

scraggypunk wrote:leaving behind all those droid friends i repaired in KOTOR games always made me sad
Well according to Legends canon HK-47 is doing just fine and dandy even 4000 years later during the time of the movies.