I bought a Wii U / I'm having a midlife crisis

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: I bought a Wii U / I'm having a midlife crisis

Post by Xenesis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Jake is a masterful piece of writing. No regrets.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Gotta bust some grooves, man. Word up, yo!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

bog2

Post by bog2 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:38 am

I find Jake hilarious. Flak is also entertaining.

"Hey, Orange Star dogs, can you hear me?!"
"Uh, Lord Flak, the microphone?"
"Too complicated!"

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:07 am

Everything about Jake's characterisation is validated by Von Bolt's rant in the final mission. Absolutely no regrets.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:41 am

I'm checking out the script. As far as story goes it's flawed, but it's at least self-aware. Ten second in and I see lash calling out ''no more little miss perkygoth''. Quality.

"Whaaa haa haa haaa! Shut it, boy! Your inane hipster slang is an
affront to my ears and a waste of my time. Slink home while you can still
walk!" > This rant?

When it's not being funny like this AWDS's final mission was a setup to the tone AWDoR was going to have though. Especially the EU script, which doesn't include self-parody.(I still have fond memories though.)

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:50 am

Dragonite wrote:Think of all the teens that have a Wii U(okay, they all play call of duty), and experience Jake for the first time. I'm pretty sure it's outdated now. Is n00b still used?

Ah, the innocence of youth.
"scrub" has pretty much replaced n00b. it actually makes the word n00b seem respectful.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:09 pm

I wonder what the etymology of "scrub" in relation to its usage in gaming vernacular is.

I was called a scrub the other day, through song. Very odd.

And lastly, I seem to recall reading that Jake's dialogue was normal in the Japanese version.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Yeah, the big headphones are for operating radio or something. Seems like a serious person, some of the important moments in the story still show. I guess he was a lot like Will?

And then the NA translators saw the phones and RAN WITH IT.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:50 am

I don't remember the spanish translation being that goofy. Might have to replay the game in both languages to compare.

Too lazy tho.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Kanzer wrote:I don't remember the spanish translation being that goofy. Might have to replay the game in both languages to compare.

Too lazy tho.
If it's been a few years I really recommend it if it's been a few years. The nostalgia rush literally makes my hairs stand on end sometimes. It was probably 2009/10 when I last played either AW2 or AWDS.