I bought a Wii U / I'm having a midlife crisis

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

daisy

I bought a Wii U / I'm having a midlife crisis

Post by daisy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:39 am

Why did you buy a Wii U?
Late to the party, but in console terms that's the usually the best time to come. I'm getting bored as crumpets with "mainstream" gaming. All the big devs I previously respected are now owned by EA or Zenimax. Fallout 4 was the last current-gen game I enjoyed, but I didn't have the time to invest into it and still don't. I'm genuinely excited for Doom 4 but that is literally it as far as new releases go. So I poked my head over the fence and looked at what you guys were playing - COLOURS!!!!! CHILLED OUT!!!! YAY!!!!

Ironically, I've grown up a bit, and now I yearn for the simplicity of youth. I think I finally understand why Nintendo characters are so popular among adults, which is something I previously didn't quite get. I want innocent games. I want games with no macho crumpets about saving the world from Russians. I want creative games. I want to be able to play some of those cool VC titles.

....I want a Wii U.

So you'll want some game suggestions, right?
Precisely. I already have MK8 and Splatoon. (When I first saw Splatoon being played I was like "holy crumpets." And trust me, it is very hard to impress me with video games. From Nintendo too, which is a company I'd almost written off. I love the concept of Splatoon and how creative it is. I need to have it, and now I do! Or I will when the postman comes in a couple days.)

Absolutely no J"RPG"s. I hate J"RPG"s unless it's Pokemon. Feel free to include Wii games I may have missed.

I've also never played a single Zelda game in any serious way. Maybe I should get onto that.

DieselPheonix

Re: I bought a Wii U / I'm having a midlife crisis

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 am

There are definitely worse ways to have a mid-life crisis. You could have bought Monster Hunter, for example.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:32 pm

good games are an illusion, you have made an error
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:27 pm

daisy wrote:I've also never played a single Zelda game in any serious way. Maybe I should get onto that.
Well, you're spoiled for choice with a Wii U for Zelda games. If you want Zeldas, you can nab the following:

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Zelda II Adventure of Link (NES)
Link to the Past (SNES)
Minish Cap (GBA)
Ocarina of Time (N64)
Wind Waker HD (Wii U Remaster)
Twilight Princess (Wii) or Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)
Skyward Sword (Wii)

Of those though, I think I'd recommend Link to the Past or Wind Waker. Both are the most fun and free of the choices yuo've got there.

Also if you want a really good 2D platformer, I am going to recommend Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. It's a Nintendo Select so it should also be comparatively cheap! Super Mario Maker is also a joy if you feel like being creative, but it hinges mostly on how much you like to create things.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Eh, as someone with the nickname of Linkman I'd say skip the NES and SNES Zeldas unless you can stand games from that era (long, complicated, little to no direction, no story, etc).

Skip Ocarina of Time as it looks awful and has outdated gameplay.

I'd say start with Wind Waker HD. If you truly love it, get OoT and MM 3D for your 3DS, and twilight Princess HD for the WiiU.

Only play Skyward Sword if you love the last four.

If you made it this far, go back and play A Link to the Past (SNES) and Link's Awakening (Gameboy!) Shun the rest of the series.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:08 pm

A general feel of innocent cozyness is why I'm enjoying playing pokemon games as a adult.

As for Zelda, Wind Waker is a good example of the series being really charming. I don't think you'll enjoy the realistic Zelda as much. Is OoT64 really that outdated?I first played it after having experience with the GC Wind Waker, and I just was blown away by it(having focus on dungeons helped with that).

I also can recommend Super Metroid. It can be a little frustrating at times, but it's a gem in game design.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:09 am

I think it is. It still is an amazing game (like you said, the puzzles in the dungeons aged very well), but the graphics and combat mechanics feel dated.

I think Wind Waker HD is a much better starting point.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:26 am

But...

Who's going to stop the russians

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 am

China.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:16 am

there are like no jrpgs on wii/wii u bog you moron

but play xenoblade x anyways

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:37 am

Dragonite wrote:I don't think you'll enjoy the realistic Zelda as much.
I played Twilight Princess on the Wii for like 30 mins when it came out and stopped when it had me herding sheep or some crumpets.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:54 am

Twilight Princess is infamous for taking a while to go while Link is a farmboy. You have a herding sheep minigame, get to practice Epona, then you have to fix various things around town and collect money for a slingshot, and after that the action begins to start. If you know what to do it doesn't take very long though.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:49 pm

daisy wrote:
I played Twilight Princess on the Wii for like 30 mins when it came out and stopped when it had me herding sheep or some crumpets.
High five
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:35 am

Definitely don't play Skyward Sword then.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:47 am

Or Ocarina. It'll take a good thirty minutes (at least ten of which will be unskippable, un-speed-up-able cutscenes) before you can get into the first dungeon, which itself is a patronisingly easy tutorial level. Wind Waker has a similar amount of irrelevant faffing about, though from memory it at least dresses it up nicer and has a vastly more entertaining tutorial level.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:18 am

Nah, you need to do a lot of annoying sneaking around. You only need to take a simple path though, but you need to disable searchlights beforehand, and the majority of the place is both obsolete and actually harder to maintain stealth in then the required path. It's saving grace is that the jail cell is set up to be the perfect starting point for the required bits. Wind Waker also has the worst preperation for endgame, but the HD version fixes most of it endgame. I tried Skyward sword on somebody else's Wii, but I had a hard time getting the motion controls to work properly for me.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:32 am

I don't mind (and actually quite like) exposition when it's done well. See Baldur's Gate's tutorial town for an example of that. Tbh it sounds like Wind Waker gets it right with a bit of suspense, even if it isn't threatening. A good game will make some attempt to grab my attention at the beginning, not send me around nowheresville doing menial chores for an hour so I can get to the real game.

What really drives me absolutely bonkers is when I am confronted with endless unskippable cutscenes. I mean, am I playing a game or watching a B-movie? The Last of Us is a fantastic interactive film (it made me cry) but a mediocre game.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:45 am

Nothing nintendo does really goes overboard with the cutscenes. Zelda has long ones at key plot points, but other then that they never last long, and usually only after finishing a stretch of gameplay.

Funny thing is that I actually failed to get into Xenoblade Chronicles, because I already know the plot, the sidequest are handy to do but are often boring B-plots, and the pacing seemed a bit slow, and the game has a lot of complicated stuff you need to optimise. With gaming in general I kind of hit a snag with loving complex games, but I hate it when I have to choose between moving forward, or do tons of stuff to get a more 100% experience. It's worse with me since I'm kind of OCD with the narrative making a bit of sense for willing suspense of disbelief to hold. I'm a weird person with pokemon because I prefer to play at times of day when your PC would most logically progress with his travels.

I also seem to play fighting (smash,Pokken) or other stuff(I love my casual vs AI advance wars fix) a lot more often then games that a ''control character who moves around in overworld'' types of games the last two years or so.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 am

Nintendo you didn't put a LAN port on your console. Do you really expect me to play Splatoon online with my crumpets uni wireless?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:09 am

2001: "Nintendo where's online?" "You do not want online. Please understand. Have LAN Mario Kart with an adapter we only made two copies of."

2016: "Nintendo where's the lan port?" "screw you, you filthy gaijin"

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:40 am

Yeah the lack of an ethernet port is perplexing and more than a little sad. Fortunately the console works fine with many USB-ethernet adapters, but it really shouldn't be necessary in the first place. It doesn't help that Splatoon is fairly bandwidth-intensive; Ale and I had a spate of disconnects on wireless that prompted us to go wired.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:35 am

Linkman wrote:2001: "Nintendo where's online?" "You do not want online. Please understand. Have LAN Mario Kart with an adapter we only made two copies of."
Wasn't Phantasy Star Online a thing? I've never played it, only know about it because it was the only Gamecube game to go online iirc.

bog2

Post by bog2 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:09 am

Okay I got it online. It's a bit of a hack job though since the wifi here doesn't officially support game consoles. I've got the wired internet going into my desktop which is then connected to my laptop via ethernet. The laptop is transmitting a wifi signal that the Wii U can understand.

"Wireless" with wires everywhere. Not a long term solution but enough to download updates and AW2 lol.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:30 am

Well it looks like I won't be playing Splatoon until September :(

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:35 am

daisy wrote:
I think I got to the point where I rode my horse around an obstacle course. I'm sure it's like ten mins in.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:35 am

It was 9 years ago.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 am

the intro was actually my favorite part of twilight princess because i still had hopes it wouldn't just be oot 2.0 at that point
Spoiler: show
ok the ice manor level was my favorite part but i shall not let the facts get in the way of overstating my point
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:15 am

In defense of Zelda, the only real axiom in this series is that the newest game makes the last one look amazing by comparison.

And it's not that it's getting progressively worse, it's that there was something about the last game that was amazing and you take it for granted and now that it's gone you appreciate it immensely.

OoT: yay!
Majora's Mask: man, where are all the dungeons? Only four? Come on Ocarina had like 9 and they were amazing!
Wind Waker: whoa, where is that amazing somber tone? That feeling of impending doom? Also the realistic graphics?
Twilight Princess: wait no I loved the cartoonish graphics oh god I miss them
Skyward Sword: you know I bitched about twilight princess way too much

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:09 pm

have you considered: zelda games are bad
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:38 pm

Seeing as I love every one of them, the answer is: maybe, but I love them!

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Zelda is usually a bit unique, and generally well polished(okay, skyward sword has mixed reactions).

Especially nowadays it stick out if you compare it to the more uniform gritty feel many mainstream action games on the playstation and Xbox have. Even when it goes ''realistic'', even TP has many innocent/downright weird moment you'll don't see as easily with other games. One does not forget the clown. We must never forget the clown.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:09 am

Linkman wrote:Seeing as I love every one of them, the answer is: maybe, but I love them!
I played through half of AW2 on my Wii U yesterday and the dialogue is freaking awful. I still love it though. The whole game is pure nostalgia. I played 2 way before AW1 so that's where most of my nostalgia lies, and it's glorious

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:34 am

the dialogue being bad is 40% of the charm
wisdom

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:07 pm

What comprises the remaining 60%?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:33 pm

infantry
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:57 pm

40% dialogue
30% aesthetics
20% music
10% gameplay

that's the charm
Last edited by scraggypunk on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wisdom

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:59 pm

100% MAN SPAM.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:56 pm

It's mostly Orange Star that has the awful dialog because they shoehorn instructions in and it's arguably the faction that's the most bland after hogging the AW1 POV. Everything else doesn't win awards, but the dynamics are fun enough to last the few missions each faction has and explore some of the characters a bit more. AWDS has it a lot worse since it doesn't focus on CO-tailored missions.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:38 pm

AW characters are caricatures anyway. It's part of their charm.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:42 pm

Think of all the teens that have a Wii U(okay, they all play call of duty), and experience Jake for the first time. I'm pretty sure it's outdated now. Is n00b still used?

Ah, the innocence of youth.