Civ VI!!!

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

daisy

Civ VI!!!

Post by daisy » Thu May 12, 2016 1:05 am

omg omg omg omg hype

Not much info other than:

1. 21st Oct 2016
2. Cities take up several tiles
3. Sounds like they're fixing diplomacy
4. Still one unit per tile, but you can combine units into a single unit now

Graphically it looks like a step back from V. I'm not sure I like the cartoony style.
Last edited by daisy on Thu May 12, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Civ VI!!!

Post by Linkman » Thu May 12, 2016 3:18 am

I was never quite sure if I liked Civ IV's stacking units until you have a ball of death, or Civ V's single unit per tile better. V forced me to micromanage, which is what you want to avoid in these games where you take decisions all the time. On the other hand, in Civ IV you just stack everything and have your giant ball of death wipe out everything.

What I disliked the most about both games was that neither made me feel going for cultural or scientific victory (which I enjoyed the most) was worth it compared to doing military. Every time I went for science, I would end up so far ahead from the AI scientifically it made more sense simply to build tanks and run over their swordsmen. Similar deal with culture, it made more sense to go and steal their wonders / control more cities. Military prowess was the dominant strategy.

Hopefully that'll improve with the new tech tree.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu May 12, 2016 3:46 am

This looks great

I've played 5 way too much.

Also for civ 5's victories I've always felt that science was just really a scapegoat victory if all else failed. Focusing on military is rather easy if you streamline research however culture is also easily doable with a defensive army. Diplomatic always seemed the most pointless to me.

Online science and culture are definitely the most viable victories.
Last edited by MysteriousLad on Thu May 12, 2016 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu May 12, 2016 4:08 am

The micromanaging in Civ V always tends to get more or less out of hand for me, which is why I usually don't build too many cities/units since that slows my game to an absolute crawl.

That said, I always ever use strategic mode to the point where I can't even recognise anything anymore if I'm not. Partly, it's a necessity as that this old pc has trouble keeping up otherwise, but I also just like it better :)
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu May 12, 2016 6:18 am

I played Civ III and Civ IV to death, mostly because I enjoyed micromanaging the BC eras. I never ended up giving Civ V an honest shot from lack of time/lack of a powerful enough computer.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu May 12, 2016 7:14 am

getting excited for a civ game is ridiculous

oh boy, i can't wait until it comes out so i can wait a year until it's actually worth playing
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu May 12, 2016 7:17 am

Linkman wrote:I was never quite sure if I liked Civ IV's stacking units until you have a ball of death, or Civ V's single unit per tile better. V forced me to micromanage, which is what you want to avoid in these games where you take decisions all the time. On the other hand, in Civ IV you just stack everything and have your giant ball of death wipe out everything.

What I disliked the most about both games was that neither made me feel going for cultural or scientific victory (which I enjoyed the most) was worth it compared to doing military. Every time I went for science, I would end up so far ahead from the AI scientifically it made more sense simply to build tanks and run over their swordsmen. Similar deal with culture, it made more sense to go and steal their wonders / control more cities. Military prowess was the dominant strategy.

Hopefully that'll improve with the new tech tree.
Well, looking at history books this isn't overly surprising sadly.. :p Wonderful world we would have if war was deemed inefficient on the short-term. Then again, that's pretty much what nuclear weapons have established.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu May 12, 2016 7:34 am

HPD wrote:The micromanaging in Civ V always tends to get more or less out of hand for me, which is why I usually don't build too many cities/units since that slows my game to an absolute crawl.

That said, I always ever use strategic mode to the point where I can't even recognise anything anymore if I'm not. Partly, it's a necessity as that this old pc has trouble keeping up otherwise, but I also just like it better :)
I usually only build two or three cities on my own and build a great wall around the whole thing. Turtling is extremely easy to do if you can keep ahead of the other players and get wonders/policies that boost your number of workers and soldiers. After that you can either build up a superarmy to wipe everyone out or focus on culture or science.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu May 12, 2016 8:54 am

scraggypunk wrote:getting excited for a civ game is ridiculous

oh boy, i can't wait until it comes out so i can wait a year until it's actually worth playing
Or more to the point, until anyone has a computer that's able to play it.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu May 12, 2016 9:00 am

I'll be ready to enjoy Civ VI: generic expansion some time mid 2017.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu May 12, 2016 10:33 am

Tbh it doesn't look like it'll be much harder to run than the terribly-optimised Civ V.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu May 12, 2016 11:51 am

highest civ i can run is 4

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu May 12, 2016 2:38 pm

I can run V well enough, but the load times are just horrible (and I sorta have to play in Strategic mode)
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu May 12, 2016 5:54 pm

#pcmasterrace

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri May 13, 2016 2:07 am

No Vive support? Dropped.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri May 13, 2016 11:55 am

Linkman wrote:I'll be ready to enjoy Civ VI: generic expansion some time mid 2017.
as long as we're being cynical, i wonder how awful the religion system will be THIS time around
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri May 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Religion was amazing, rake in cash and happiness all you want or enjoy the +25% growth bonus. The bonuses where influential however many never realise that and seriously manage their religions. The interface could have been better though.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat May 14, 2016 1:38 am

Religions should only have negative effects, to reflect real life.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat May 14, 2016 2:27 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Religion was amazing, rake in cash and happiness all you want or enjoy the +25% growth bonus. The bonuses where influential however many never realise that and seriously manage their religions. The interface could have been better though.
the bonuses were ok

i mean, they were just more bonuses in a sea of bonuses but i guess they did their job in a totally not balanced but semi-memorable way

it was everything else that was a massive pain

y'know, sending out missionaries, converting cities, getting your city converted, realizing you hardly care that your city got converted, realizing the AI doesn't care either because all missionary work more or less was over by the modern age

and lack of being able to declare holy war upon another religion, purge it's followers from your cities, and get bonuses against units that follow that religion. not nearly realistic enough imo.

edit: to be fair it wasn't as bad as the espionage system, aka the "time for the AI to catch up with the tech you're gained with blood sweat and tears" system. rubber band mechanics are FUN
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat May 14, 2016 2:41 am

I thought CIV IV's religion mechanics were better.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat May 14, 2016 6:54 am

HPD wrote:I can run V well enough, but the load times are just horrible (and I sorta have to play in Strategic mode)
I probably wait about 15 secs for the game to launch and then another 15 secs for the world to load after I've selected my game. But after that I never drop below 400fps. Running on ultra settings btw.

I never really care about religion, mainly because of what Pk said; no one in the game actually cares about it. The only time the AI wants to do something is if you ask them to stop spreading their religion and they get pissy about it.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat May 14, 2016 1:26 pm

do you guys not like free units, or...
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun May 15, 2016 1:09 am

My last Civ game was a One City Challenge and I won thanks in a large part to religion.

AI: Stop spreading your religion to my empire. I'm giving you extra culture and UN delegates just by existing.
Me: Ya, what you gonna about it?
AI: I declare war on your puny single-city empire!
Me: Cool bro
*20 turns later*
AI: I ran outta units.
Me: Righty-ho, so on top of the free culture and UN delegates, I'd also like all of your oil and gems.
AI: Sure. Go right ahead.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun May 15, 2016 1:41 am

free units from... religious city states?

or just the fact that you make a bit more gold from certain religion setups

if there's another source it's been a long time since i played and longer since i cared about religion

in any case i actually try to avoid war when playing, cuz im a nice guy so yeah free units actually annoy me more than anything :)

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun May 15, 2016 1:53 am

free units from buying them with faith
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun May 15, 2016 7:45 am

I seem to vaguely recall spending most of my faith on more missionaries in a token effort to keep up with the other religions

but I suppose you have a point.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun May 15, 2016 11:17 am

Eh, the only units you can buy with faith are other faith type units (prophets, missionaries, inquisitors and great prophets). None of those actually help if you're going for anything other than a culture win. However if you have the follower belief "tithe", it can really help keep your income stable, especially if you manage to start a religion early on.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun May 15, 2016 2:19 pm

You can buy Great People with Faith. And I believe there's a belief that lets you buy other units.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun May 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Every time you use Faith, your research should go backwards and one of your cities be attacked by a terrorist cell.

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon May 16, 2016 2:17 am

Narts wrote:Every time you use Faith, your research should go backwards and one of your cities be attacked by a terrorist cell.
It does if you use it to spread your religion and get attacked by an AI throwing a hissy-fit as a result.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed May 18, 2016 7:37 am

daisy wrote:
Narts wrote:Every time you use Faith, your research should go backwards and one of your cities be attacked by a terrorist cell.
It does if you use it to spread your religion and get attacked by an AI throwing a hissy-fit as a result.
Another reason I don't like to bother with religion. I piss off other civs just by existing, I don't need them to have another reason to shoot down my UN proposals to spite me.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 am

TBF Isabella will get pissy with you just for being her neighbour.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed May 18, 2016 10:32 am

Isabella will get pissy with you not being her neighbour too.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:12 am

Ok, so who's already got it? Is it good?

Also I need a new pc to run this...

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:43 am

Aw craaaap need a new pc

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:21 am

who the heck buys a civ game on launch
wisdom

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:09 am

i'm still back on civ iv

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:39 am

I still feel like I'm burned out on Civ. And by 4X games in general.

I know if I bought this game I'd spend an unhealthy amount of hours on it but then feel unsatisfied because like with every 4X game the weakest link is the AI and the multiplayer sucks because games take far too long.

So fudge that, I'll stick to Overwatch

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:25 am

Yeah, I need a new PC as well. 2010 Macbook Pro does not cut it anymore (and hasn't for the last two years of games).

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:44 pm

scraggypunk wrote:who the heck buys a civ game on launch
I'm with this. I'll probably pick this up sometime in December. or when it stops being 60 bucks.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.