Rate the Song #SPECIAL: Avalanches About (, Business Continues Below)

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

WHAT DO YOU RATE THE SONG.

10/10
13%
9/10
13%
8/10
38%
7/10
13%
6/10
No votes
5/10
13%
4/10
No votes
3/10
No votes
2/10
No votes
1/10
No votes
0/10
13%

Total votes: 8

Joey

Rate the Song #SPECIAL: Avalanches About (, Business Continues Below)

Post by Joey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:46 pm

OKAY WHO CARES ABOUT RADIOHEAD.

This is a special incarnation of Rate the Song, this will not usually happen. BUT.

JULY EIGHTH.

IT IS HAPPENING.

The time since they left us is greater than the time between "The Spaghetti Incident?" and Chinese Democracy. For real.

If you're not familiar with them, acquaint yourself below.

And, of course, that time Xenesis and Terragent were The Very Official Video Of That One Very Good Webcomic We All Know About. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/300581

(YOU ARE RATING THE FIRST SONG OKAY)
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Joey

Re: Rate the Song #SPECIAL: Avalanches About (, Business Continues Below)

Post by Joey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:00 pm

On the legacy of Since I Left You,

"Here's a curious album: It's constructed like a hip-hop record, it flows with the momentum of a great dance mix, but its component parts seem to come from strange places-- musical soundtracks, oddball comedy routines, and easy-listening thrift-store pop from the 60s and 70s. It skirts cheese but hits the pleasure center of the music-geek brain dead-on, blurring lines we never knew existed: sunny lite-soul congeals into the surrealist coda from a John Cale song, flashes of Camp Lo and De La Soul mutter hooks over some unseemly alternate-reality disco, and a gothic choir gets chopped up and modulated to provide the wordless vocals of a funk jam that, as it turns out, is sourced from an especially dirty Blowfly single. Non sequiturs spring up even as all the musical patches hide their seams; 'Frontier Psychiatrist' alone has enough bewildering decontextualized soundbites to count as some kind of deranged dada exercise ('And tighten your buttocks/ Pour juice on your chin/ And I promised my girlfriend I'd get/ A violin'). But Since I Left You isn't just a well-built assemblage of sample-based plunderphonics, it's a masterpiece of mood-setting that riffs off an ideal where getting on an airplane and landing in another corner of the world was the most exotic thing a person could do. It's like a travelogue put through a Steinski filter, an escape to a world so new: 'Get a drink, have a good time now, welcome to paradise.' "

- Nate Patrin

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:01 pm

i'm a big fan of frontier psychiatry
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:10 pm

"Frontier Psychiatry" is one of the most perfect things to ever exist.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:11 am

I'm pretty sure that if your heart isn't incredibly warmed by the "Since I Left You" video you have no soul.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:52 am

Derpity Derp Derp Herpe-derp!

It's hilarious but it makes to hard to rate it as a song. As a song, I can't rate it more than 6/10 as I'm pretty sure it'll grow annoying to listen to after a couple of times, but that obviously wouldn't do the song justice as this is not written with that in mind.

I am not feeling generous enough to give it an eight, but it's a very solid 7 (instead of clinging onto it by her nails like Janelle Monae.
My sig is a void.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:00 am

Wait, you think the song isn't written with the intent of you listening to it more than once? What?

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:09 am

obviously its not a song joey what part of his argument don't you get

its all an illusion

(i like the song)

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 am

i am only giving this a 10 because frontier psychiatrist and to encourage you to post better good music mores

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:05 pm

I don't mean to give the game away, but that kind of strategizing does not work.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Especially in this case, considering how short the list of "music like The Avalanches" is.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:26 pm

better good music mores is stuff i like not this guilt tripping about black people bit

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Joey wrote:Wait, you think the song isn't written with the intent of you listening to it more than once? What?
I meant that the song is overshadowed by the clip. Sure you can listen to it more than once, but it's the clip that adds the value to the song in my opinion - without the clip the song would be a lot worse.

Goes for most comedy songs actually, even bands like Alestorm with a strong focus on the lyrics. The clip usually adds more comedy value, or is the sole source of it (in one of their more serious songs, the singer wears rolls of toilet paper and a telephone in his hair to poke fun at Lady Gaga). And to be honest, while I like Alestorm, if I had to rate them... well? Would be the same rating.
My sig is a void.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:31 am

ThunderWalker wrote:
Joey wrote:Wait, you think the song isn't written with the intent of you listening to it more than once? What?
I meant that the song is overshadowed by the clip. Sure you can listen to it more than once, but it's the clip that adds the value to the song in my opinion - without the clip the song would be a lot worse.

Goes for most comedy songs actually, even bands like Alestorm with a strong focus on the lyrics. The clip usually adds more comedy value, or is the sole source of it (in one of their more serious songs, the singer wears rolls of toilet paper and a telephone in his hair to poke fun at Lady Gaga). And to be honest, while I like Alestorm, if I had to rate them... well? Would be the same rating.
Same here. I probably would've lasted lasted the whole song without the clip giving the song some absurd shape and form into my head(I now desire brain bleach though).
You should try providing audio-only, or recommend not looking at the visuals if you want our pure opinion Joey, I'm afraid it won't easily work otherwise.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:15 am

You should probably try to listen without watching the clips. It's not very hard.

Also, reducing this to "comedy song" is oh my.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:00 am

Joey wrote:You should probably try to listen without watching the clips. It's not very hard.

Yeah, but I'm curious. :P I try to avoid it next time. I shall give the song another go now..

Edit: and the verdict. Well, the track sounds rather whimsical, and I don't just really like the vocals. It works better as the background for something really weird, otherwise I don't like it that much. 5/10.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Joey wrote:You should probably try to listen without watching the clips. It's not very hard.

It is hard to take a song seriously if there's some silly vocals saying "Frankie Sinatra" every other second for most of the song. Sorry, if you do that, whatever message you are trying to relay just gets overshadowed. Two days later the "Frankie Sinatra" thing is the only thing I remember outside of a few silly things from the clip...

Yeah, it gets reduced to a comedy song very quickly then even if it actually is not meant to be as such.
My sig is a void.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:26 pm

i think you're misinterpreting what i mean but whatever

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:58 pm

8/10 avalanches are always great

e: might've underrated with an eight, it's probably better and needs to end up in my summer playlist
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis