Song contest 3: A Song of Ice and/or Fire

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Song contest 3: A Song of Ice and/or Fire

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:01 am

So yeah, I sort of promised a vague theming thing. I thought it fun to not make it too defined. For this one, the theme is Ice/Fire. The song you pick can be as loosely fitting this theme as you want it to be, really. And if you don't want to keep to the theme, that's fine too.

I'll figure out a theming bonus later. For now, just send your songs to me through PM and I'll generate a new YT playlist next week.

Let's go!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Re: Song contest 3: A Song of Ice and/or Fire

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:35 am

challenge mode: icy/fire themed dinosaur songs
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 am

bonus points if someone submits hailfire peaks

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:49 am

five songs already in, keep them coming
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:17 pm

i'll submit one tomorrow

edit: and by tomorrow i clearly meant "the day after tomorrow"

it's been a busier day than i expected lol
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:37 am

Wanted to do this yesterday but stuff happened. Here is the playlist. I think it offers a nice selection, and most people even kept to the theme!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... u2M05KIFNJ

Have fun listening! There are ten songs:
OK Go - You're So Damn Hot
Modest Mouse - Tundra/Desert
Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero
잠비나이 - connection
Nothing But Thieves - Excuse Me
L7 - Fuel My Fire
Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Frozen North
F-Zero GX [OST] - Feel Our Pain (Fire Field)
York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers
Roxette - The Look

Ok, so theming bonus you can apply in your order if you wish. No real thing apart from that. So, if you feel like theming is a thing, consider it in your order. I probably will, so there's that. ;)

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:15 am

1. Roxette - The Look
2. F-Zero GX [OST] - Feel Our Pain (Fire Field)
3. Nothing But Thieves - Excuse Me
4. L7 - Fuel My Fire
5. York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers
6. OK Go - You're So Damn Hot
7. Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Frozen North
8. ???? - connection
9. Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero - Not really my thing, but unlike the one below it doesn't make my ears hurt
10. Modest Mouse - Tundra/Desert - I actually like Modest Mouse... kinda. Some of their songs are good. This is not one of them.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 am

edited list

1. 잠비나이 - connection
This thing had me on the edge of my seat. It reminds me quite a lot of bands like Mono or Godspeed You! Black Emperor. That's awesome, so full points for introducing to a fantastic band I did not know!
2. Bruce Soord with Jonas Renske - Frozen North
This is my own entry. Suffice to say that I really really love it. Of all the great stuff Bruce Soord makes all the time, the Wisdom of Crowds album does really stand out and this song is my favourite track on there. Fun fact: I did not know what song to pick when I set the theme, but this one fit the bill beautifully.
Great sound! One for the summer playlist!
4. F-Zero GX [OST] - Feel Our Pain (Fire Field)
Definitely fits the theme!
5. Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero
That one dude's face, really. Also it's a good song as I realised later.
6. Modest Mouse - Tundra/Desert
Very interesting choice! It's weird but I sort of like it. It's also a great choice for theming, so points for that!
7. York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers
It's not interesting enough to get a very high spot, but it's still definitely not bad.
8. Roxette - The Look
Classic, but I don't really put songs that I know well high on the list.
9. OK Go - You're So Damn Hot
Not really my thing.
10. L7 - Fuel My Fire
Of all the good stuff above it, this was the track that least appealed to me. It feels like a bit of a bland Punk Rock track without much going on.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Sorry I forgot that the video was entirely in Korean - 잠비나이 romanises as Jambinai. They're a cool band and I'm glad you liked them, HPD!

So, my opinions.

1. Jambinai - Connection
My own pick, yes. But still, this is a beautiful example of what can be done with layered sounds and a measured pace.
2. York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers
A nice change of pace from most of the other stuff we have. The mix is a bit wonky (sometimes hard to hear the vocalist) but the sounds are beautiful.
Great energy! It's got a fun balance of high and low pitches and makes its contrasts work very well. I couldn't make my mind up whether to give this the #2 spot or not but theme won out in that fight. Still a great song!
4. Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Frozen North
This is a fun one; I'm not 100% down with the heavy distortion etc but it works well with the melody so that's already well ahead of a lot of other metal.
5. F-Zero GX [OST] - Feel Our Pain (Fire Field)
It's pretty neat. Bonus points for using something from the best F-Zero soundtrack, though some of those will be deducted because it's not really one of the high points of said soundtrack.
6. Roxette - The Look
The production is neat - the song itself is a bit trite and very, very 80s, but that's not all bad.
7. Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero
Really not my kind of thing but it's capably executed and has some neat harmonies here and there.
8. L7 - Fuel My Fire
Paint-by-numbers punk rock. Improved by a playful bridge section but it's still pretty bland overall.
9. You're So Damn Hot (OK Go)
Not sure whether this is camp or kitsch, either way I'm not impressed. It doesn't help that the sound is flat and tinny.
10. Tundra/Desert (Modest Mouse)
Pretentious, and not in a fun way. If you're going to do a Talking Heads knock-off with unintelligible lyrics then you should at least try to achieve their level of production quality (spoilers: these guys do not).

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:26 pm

I find part of the appeal of Tundra/Desert to be the total lack of production, tbqh. It's Modest Mouse at their rawest. Later MM is fun too, but it loses some of the intensity.

(Plus, you have to admit, it's perfect for the theme)

But then, I was half tempted to submit some black metal for WWN's listening pleasure. Now I'm doubly glad I didn't, I don't think that would have gone over too well.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:12 am

Pkdragon wrote:I find part of the appeal of Tundra/Desert to be the total lack of production, tbqh. It's Modest Mouse at their rawest. Later MM is fun too, but it loses some of the intensity.

(Plus, you have to admit, it's perfect for the theme)

But then, I was half tempted to submit some black metal for WWN's listening pleasure. Now I'm doubly glad I didn't, I don't think that would have gone over too well.
Please do next time. I enjoy members getting snarky as a result.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:25 am

Pkdragon wrote:But then, I was half tempted to submit some black metal for WWN's listening pleasure. Now I'm doubly glad I didn't, I don't think that would have gone over too well.
Tbh I'm submitting whatever I'm into at that moment. If people don't like it, that's their loss for having crumpets taste lol. If it's any encouragement, while I don't listen to super heavy metal, it would probably rank on the higher end of the scale for me.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:33 am

I guess part of this format's charm is being able to submit just about anything. You don't need to feel obligated to pick something others might like. That's for people themselves to decide, I guess. That's also why the whole theme thing is just a suggestion, not an obligation.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:20 pm

wups i totally missed this.

i'll give the songs a listen tonight
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:23 am

Here are my ratings. Overall a bit of a downgrade on the last contest but I had fun listening through.

1. L7 - Fuel My Fire
Best song.
2. 잠비나이 - connection
I liked this a lot. I've added it to my studying playlist. Thanks!
3. F-Zero GX [OST] - Feel Our Pain (Fire Field)
I have never played an F-Zero game, but yes this is my thing. Too bad I don't have a way of reliably playing Gamecube games anymore.
4. Roxette - The Look
Very enjoyable. Playlisted. I love that late 80s / early 90s rock era.
5. York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers
Yeah alright. Not my thing but I can't say anything bad about it.
6. Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Frozen North
Cool. I enjoyed the variety here, but that also makes it feel somewhat directionless. Almost like the musicians aren't quite on the same page artistically. Was fun though.
7. Nothing But Thieves - Excuse Me
Bland and generic alternative rock. Normie music. It's not terrible but I'm also not sure it's possible for rock music to be more... beige.
8. Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero
A bit annoying but it wasn't awful. Tbh it's just not my scene.
9. OK Go - You're So Damn Hot
It's got that irritating ska / pop rock vocal style that really bugs me. Something tells me this was sent in by the same person who also submitted Letters To Cleo - Co-Pilot in the last song contest. I hope that person just has a beautiful sense of irony.
Dragonite wrote: I enjoy members getting snarky
10. Modest Mouse - Tundra/Desert
This is a fudge abomination and an insult to music as an art form. Quite possibly the worst "song" I have heard in literally years or perhaps even ever. When I come to power I will be using this "song" as a torture device. I made it to the end of the track, but only because I was sat there in shock at how terrible it was. I am pretty sure it summoned a demon and I now need to hire an exorcist. 0/10. F.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:40 am

Pk you got a compliment!

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:00 am

Yeah I'm forwarding him the bill for the exorcist.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:08 am

fudge yeah

when i post the most metal of extreme metal i just want everyone to know it's dragonite and bog's fault

\m/
Spoiler: show
just kidding the only reason black metal was even on my horizon this time around is the sheer massive abundance of "ice" themed songs in the genre, lol

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:17 am

I was -> <- this close to entering firestarter without music

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:01 am

tundra/desert- masterpiece of music as art no exorcisms required
nothing but thieves- yeah this, this is my jam
el juego- i actually really like this one, it's fun.
frozen north- on the second listen i can confirm i like this
connection- yeah it's very postrocky
fuel my fire- oh, i've actually heard this one before thanks to the prodigy. i like it, but mostly out of familiarity.
ice flowers- i swear ive heard this one's background track in another song and im trying to figure out where. "libera me from hell" uses a very similar track so that may be it, but idk.
the look- its very 80s, there's a bit in there that reminds me of ayreon and i like that part
f-zero- so real talk, im not actually a huge fan of video game music compared to other music, possibly due to over-exposure? in any case this felt like very standard level music- not bad, the type of music that is in fact essential to a video game's soundtrack, but not very exciting either
you're so damn hot- second listen, still not feeling it.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:01 am

Pkdragon wrote:fuel my fire- oh, i've actually heard this one before thanks to the prodigy. i like it, but mostly out of familiarity.
Not enough people realise that it's not an original Prodigy song.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVv94T5LF0c

also since I miss the deadline here's just a thematically video. i wouldn't have submitted it because i'm sure almost all of y'all have heard this many times. awesome live performance though
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Always nice. Though, uh, I will confess it's weird seeing Byrne without grey hair.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Haven´t got around to full ratings yet, but I can confirm Tundra/desert sounds pretty awful to me.

Oh, and we totally should have a awful themed song contest one time... Perhaps allow negative ratings?

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:50 am

These are all awful themed song contests

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:18 am

Dragonite wrote:Haven´t got around to full ratings yet, but I can confirm Tundra/desert sounds pretty awful to me.

Oh, and we totally should have a awful themed song contest one time... Perhaps allow negative ratings?
I'd probably skip that one. I like these topics for the sake of discovering new music, and trying to share some great stuff with WWN (which hasn't worked too well as of yet >_>). An awful song contest doesn't really fill either of those.
daisy wrote:
Pkdragon wrote:fuel my fire- oh, i've actually heard this one before thanks to the prodigy. i like it, but mostly out of familiarity.
Not enough people realise that it's not an original Prodigy song.
Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I didn't know that, which is why it was a pleasant surprise when I found out they were one and the same. But I've always been extremely casual when it comes to Prodigy, so no surprise there.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:37 am

here's what im listening to right now btw

0 relevence tho which is why i didn't submit it, and it's a good deal more likely that people have already heard it, but it's pretty awesome and since tundra/desert was a flop i think you'll like this one better

not an official entry obv

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:35 am

Pkdragon wrote:here's what im listening to right now btw
I actually really like this. If you submitted that I would have ranked it #1 easily with zero internal debate.
Dragonite wrote:Oh, and we totally should have a awful themed song contest one time... Perhaps allow negative ratings?
What PK said. At least 50% of what is submitted I regard as crap anyway and I wouldn't want to lose that other 50%. I spend my life trying to find new music because I'm super picky. I realise that crap music can sometimes be fun (Limp Bizkit) but... yeah.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:57 am

daisy wrote:
I actually really like this. If you submitted that I would have ranked it #1 easily with zero internal debate.

but it doesn't fit the theme ;_;

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:13 pm

0 relevence tho which is why i didn't submit it, and it's a good deal more likely that people have already heard it, but it's pretty awesome and since tundra/desert was a flop i think you'll like this one better

not an official entry obv
This is a great song, have you heard their latest one though?

Also sorry for not rating, I've been driving around Britain and only occasionally have WiFi in hotels and my parents probably don't appreciate music after driving.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:24 pm

standings:
jambinai - 38
nothing but thieves - 37
bruce soord with jonas renske - 32
f-zero - 32
york ft angelina - 29
roxette - 28
l7 - 26
tiro de gracia - 23
modest mouse - 18
ok go - 12

Needs more ratings.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:20 am

Screeching Cats- I mean, Modest Mouse, has a score higher than 0 and isn't even bottom. This is why I have trust issues.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:54 am

Time to prove my uninformed attitude about music. (in progress, can no longer use my pc for the remmant :P)

1 OK- GO, you're so damn hot: I can't really stand those vocals very well, even though the track is decent as a pop sorts of sorts. Boyband vibe alert, this is a parody? 5/10
2 modest mouse: desert/tundra: Actually not modest in terms of noise. Also, I don't get the title. Managed to slightly grow on me somehow though, in a so bad it's good kind of way. Just the over the top vocals, and the make your ears explode instrumental loud... beat? It might be a fitting background music if you're looking for a bad acid trip, it sounds like a expression of chaos and agony on purpose. Also, better then Brokencyde. 3/10
3 Tiro de Gracia - El Juego Verdadero : I was looking at something else briefly when listening And then I found half of the song has passed without leaving much of a impression. It's mostly rap, but since I don't speak spanish it just doesn't make feel anything, and the clip isn't giving me any hints. Not that bad to listen though, but it isn't that melodic to me. 5/10
4 잠비나이 - connection: Buildup is nice, but it's mostly that. Probably better in the background then trying to listen. 7/10
5 Nothing But Thieves - Excuse Me (Official Video): I liked the overall sound of the vocals and instruments, quite a decent song overall. The ''ooooohh'' got old after a while though, docked points for that. 7/10
6 L7 - Fuel My Fire : Liked the guitar, didn't like the vocals quite as much. I get what it was going for though, and it's decent to listen 7/10
7 Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse - Frozen North (from Wisdom of Crowds): look, a ice themed song! And pretty geometric shapes in the clip for reasons, pokemon GO in 20XX. Silent with good vocals for the first minute, and then adds some decent guitar and other instruments in busts later on too, and the end is especially satisfying. 8/10
8 F-zero GX, Fire field: I actually listen to video game BGM's a lot more then actual music for some reason,tends to get good quickly without any strings attached, this is no expection. It just gets the point across clearly, with a techno beat and heavy rock, and getting into full solo mode the final round. Still, it's a little rough around the edges outside of gameplay. 7.5/10
9 York feat. Angelina-Ice Flowers(doesn't count in the tally): So I liked CD of random indie song my uncle was playing once, and he gave me copy. This is the only thing I really keep coming back though once in a blue moon though. Like it enough for oddball submission, was curious how other would react. Vocals are nice to zone out to at times, and the instruments with it. 8,5/10
10 Roxette - The Look, 1989: uh, very 80's? Doesn't strike a chord with me. And since I'm already corrupted by the Joey system, 6/10.

I'll sort it properly later, have listened to everything at least.
Last edited by Dragonite on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:55 am

You got it the wrong way round dear.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:03 am

don't worry i got this

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:42 am

Oh, I have time to sort it that way myself(derp). Let me finish the final 2 first, I had to rush it because I'm camping tomorrow. I could have sworm I saw number ratings, the mosquitoes have been ruining my nights lately.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am

Sorry if I don't vote guys, been a bit swamped lately.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am

it sounds like a expression of chaos and agony on purpose.
now you are starting to get it

not all music has to be nice

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:13 am

Pkdragon wrote:
it sounds like a expression of chaos and agony on purpose.
now you are starting to get it

not all music has to be nice
No I do get that. Music is an expression.

...but a toddler screaming and throwing a tantrum is also expression. That doesn't make it enjoyable.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:54 am

A toddler wouldn't have as many interweaving melodies and harmonies interacting with each other to create beauty out of discord. Or something like that.

I'm not trying to defend the song so much (edit: rereading the topic, apparently i haven't been defending it much at all so i guess this is the defense), but there's been some really harsh criticism that I honestly don't fully understand. It's a chaotic piece of music but it's still rather complex, has a fast tempo, has a great atmosphere of loneliness and jaded tension- even the anger of the second half of the song is filled with unsure tension, that's a big part of why it's stuck with me so much. The production sucks, but that's almost part of the genre. I mean I can intellectually understand that people are going to have some problems with the vocals (yeah it basically sounds like drunk singing, which i think is part of the appeal, this crumpets is great drinking music), it's not a nice sounding song at all, and maybe lacking the tracks that establish the atmosphere of the album (lonely, dry, rural, etc) it's not 100% clear why the song is the way it is. I get that, but I still don't get why the reaction is so strong, and I'd think people would be able to at least glimpse the good points of the song, at least after a few listens.

I mean, I like that Dragonite at least admits it's starting to grow on him, that's all I want, really. Not trying to pull teeth here, I just find the absolute declarations of how awful the song is... frustrating.

Also, if T/D really doesn't do it for you, I do want to say it's pretty much the only song like it in their library (well, the library that I've listened to- I haven't heard The Lonesome Crowded West yet). The rest of the album is closer to the first part of the song, though noticeably more varied and has some true moments of beauty here and there. And then the rest of their albums get better and better production. They never lose the vocals, though eventually it turns a bit more into a comfortable drawl. So yeah, don't let this turn you off Modest Mouse- they aren't my favorite band in the world (I just really like a couple of their songs... like Tundra/Desert, lol), but they are totally worth listening to. I recommend starting with Good New For People Who Like Bad News if Tundra/Desert's low level of production didn't work for you.

And that's the last word I think I have to say on them, unless someone says something I find interesting enough to respond to, ofc. By that I mean, I don't want to derail the topic too much. I mean on one hand discussion about the music is cool, but it's eclipsed all the other music a bit. We should talk about something else too. Like that one guy in El Juego Verdadero. The awesome one. He somehow reminds me of Charlie from Always Sunny In Philadelphia. That is all.