Competitive Smash? Anybody watch?

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Joey

Competitive Smash? Anybody watch?

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:36 pm

Because probably the best match, ever, just happened a few weeks back. I'm still reeling.

I invite you to sit down.

"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Pkdragon

Re: Competitive Smash? Anybody watch?

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:38 pm

got too many games in my backlog to watch other people play games
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:22 pm

just this match? plz

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:31 pm

42 flippin minutes of manchildren playing a 15 year old game? pass
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:40 pm

wait is this melee

people are still playing that?

(but srsly i'll give it a look tomorrow, right now I'm leveling up a D&D character)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:52 pm

It is Melee. People are still playing it, and it was the second biggest game at EVO this year, second only to the new Street Fighter V. It was the biggest Melee tournament ever, and it keeps getting bigger.

(Technically, more people played in the Smash 4 tournament than the Melee one, but the Melee one gets a lot more attention and press.)

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:01 pm

The winner took home a cold $16k

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:24 pm

they need to update to playing overwatch like everyone else

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:08 pm

I respect your choice of thing to watch, but there's no way a FPS could ever be as cool to watch as fighting games

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 pm

>watching other people play video games

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:30 pm

Joey wrote:I respect your choice of thing to watch, but there's no way a FPS could ever be as cool to watch as fighting games
I kinda miss the days of champion level quake/unreal tournament TBH.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:26 pm

I've never understood the popularity of Smash, especially as a competitive game.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:30 pm

Ah, hungrybox Jigglypuff. I'm aware of Melee's legacy and perks, but I tend to mostly watch smash 4 whenever I bother to watch something. Smash 4 is something I have actually played myself, and can control it like that to a degree. so that makes it more fun to watch. Pro melee is a little more bizarre, movement tech gameplay is basically a different game from vanilla melee. The pace is high, but I'm not invested enough in how all the weird quirks work to really get hyped.

And I actually have been watching overwatch all summer. With 22 heroes with different skills and movement options it's a lot more amusing then Call of Duty to just see. I also have never played it. >_>

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:19 am

I usually find Hungrybox really boring, this match is one of the few exceptions.

Was a good finals.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:19 am

I love Hungrybox, a lot. I never think he's boring to watch. I think Armada is about as compelling. The rivalry is just.....it's amazing. And it somehow continues to get better and evolve.
Last edited by Joey on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:23 am

Dragonite wrote:Ah, hungrybox Jigglypuff. I'm aware of Melee's legacy and perks, but I tend to mostly watch smash 4 whenever I bother to watch something. Smash 4 is something I have actually played myself, and can control it like that to a degree. so that makes it more fun to watch. Pro melee is a little more bizarre, movement tech gameplay is basically a different game from vanilla melee. The pace is high, but I'm not invested enough in how all the weird quirks work to really get hyped.

And I actually have been watching overwatch all summer. With 22 heroes with different skills and movement options it's a lot more amusing then Call of Duty to just see. I also have never played it. >_>
Yeah, I absolutely have respect for Overwatch, don't get me wrong.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:49 am

I usually find Armada pretty boring too, if that helps. I was pretty shocked that this year's finals was watchable, it's a huge difference from last year.

EVO this year had one of the best top 8s possible in terms of producing something you'd actually want to watch. We could very easily have had the following match as a best of 5 at any other tournament, and it would have been horrendous as a spectator.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:04 am

Who are you a fan of? And if it's who I think it is....please don't say it.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:22 am

pretty much everyone other than armada and hbox. armada because of the way he plays, hbox largely because of his character choice.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:57 am

Okay, good. Mango fans are.........yeah.

I enjoy me some Wobbles. A lot.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:54 am

Sven and I usually discuss the larger tourneys on IRC.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 pm

Now that I am on desktop: yeah that was a bitchin' Grand Finals.

I began following the scene after... evo 2014. I knew the scene back in 06 or so? I remember Ken, ChuDat, Bombsoldier videos even back then. Sven would also follow and we'd have pointless discussions about Marth v Fox. Nowadays I don't play competitively (and never will), though I still play Melee for fun and do enough advanced stuff to roll over most scrubs.

During Evo2014 I thought Hbox played lame. Since then I've changed my mind; partly because I understand better what he's doing, partly because he's actually become a lot better. I love the explosive Fox-Puff matchup, though, and I genuinely like Juan, despite him being a bit of a drama queen. I'm happy he won and it was what I cheered for. The year of the box!

It's interesting now though cause I don't think Mango or Leffen were that bothered by Armada winning Evo2015, but now, it might just light a fire up their asses and get them back on practice. I mean just look at this picture of sad, sad people:

Leffen is returning, PP will hopefully be returning, Mango and Armada will be hungrier than ever. Big House 6 will be the most stacked Melee tournament.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Leffen not getting his passport cleared sucked, yeah.

By the way, I also love Leffen? I think the only person I actively root against is Mango.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:53 pm

I teared up a little at Hbox's reaction, by the way. But this also elicited a pretty emotional reaction from me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:24 pm

i lost the recreational activity. woe is me
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:09 pm