Halo 5 and other arena shooters

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Guesty

Halo 5 and other arena shooters

Post by Guesty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:11 am

So I recently got Halo 5, and wow I am bad at it, but I enjoy it. How did you guys get better and not die so much? And you can discuss other arena shooters like Quake Live here, too.
Sig by Sasquatch.
Hit: Cute Things
Miss: Phones

scraggypunk

Re: Halo 5 and other arena shooters

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:12 am

you play a lot
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:27 am

overwatch is where it's at now

i got better at playing shooters by maining winston and not having to aim
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:46 am

halo pc was fun

doom 2 is also fun

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:00 am

I still play a fair bit of Splatoon. Nowhere near as much as Alecat does, mind.

Custom Blaster for life.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Isn't there a circuit now for that stuff?

C'mon Nintendo where's the smash bros circuit
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 am

There has only been one or maybe two arena shooters mentioned in this topic. Arena shooters are fast-paced and twitchy. Halo has way more in common with Call of Duty than Quake, although I guess certain game modes/maps kind of fit the definition.

I got better by playing them since I was like 5.

Linkman wrote:Isn't there a circuit now for that stuff?
QuakeCon gives cash prizes.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:45 am

Screw Quake bog I am talking about the real games about painting stuff.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:48 am

Overwatch is an arena shooter

MULTIPLAYER ONLINE BATTLE ARENA
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:23 am

We're all fanboys now.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:41 am

winky face

Heroic Spyro

Post by Heroic Spyro » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:56 am

I am fan of Halo too. I also have Halo 5 but haven't played it in a long time.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:08 am

Linkman wrote:Screw Quake bog I am talking about the real games about painting stuff.
I assumed you were staying on topic and talking about arena shooters.
Pkdragon wrote:Overwatch is an arena shooter

MULTIPLAYER ONLINE BATTLE ARENA
MOBAs are not arena shooters. MOBAs are a subset of RTS games. And Overwatch is not a MOBA. It's like calling Mario Bros an RPG because you play the role of Mario.

Y'all have no idea what you're talking about. Might as well just change the topic name to "multiplayer games where you shoot people."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:35 am

just as keikaku'd

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:44 am

Man, I need to crank out Unreal Tournament for a play some time. I loaded it up a few months ago and got creamed by fairly mediocre bot skill, so I am way, way rusty.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:50 am

I've always thought that Unreal Tournament would be a great way to get better at fps's, given how competent the bots can be. I mean, nothing like practicing against real people, except that it's much more stressful playing against real people, so UT seems like a nice, happy medium.

Not that I've ever tried to train my skills, because I don't really want to become better at shooter games I just want to run around like an idiot spraying my gun and screaming : D

but yeah guesty that's probably a good one to practice with

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:19 am

UT 2016 is shaping up to be really, really good. Free too. (As in properly free)
Pkdragon wrote:just as keikaku'd
Because "expected" is too mainstream.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:58 pm

katso, se yrittää olla sarkastinen

daisy

Post by daisy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 pm

And failing. Google Translate thanks you for the custom.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Boggy, dude, we're goofing around. Arena shooters are not serious business.

There is nothing more serious about Quake than there is about Splatoon. C'mon.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:05 am

If you don't need kneepads to play it it's not serious.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Linkman wrote:Boggy, dude, we're goofing around. Arena shooters are not serious business.
People here don't even know what an arena shooter is. <_<
Linkman wrote:There is nothing more serious about Quake than there is about Splatoon. C'mon.
Where did I say that?

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:33 am

all shooters are arena shooters, bog
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:52 am

It really depends on what isn't a area shooter. The easiest thing I can contrast it with are shooters with greater focus on positioning, and perhaps other tactical aspects from warfare added in.
I don't really know how COD would be classified. I remember battlefield being called things, but I've always been a layman as far as shooters go.

Overwatch and Team Fortress could be called a class based shooter perhaps? Half of the exitement from those games is having characters with more unique abilities then most shooters that can interact with each other as teammates and enemies.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:47 am

Arena shooter = a fast paced fps, typically with no classes, with a large selection of weapons which typically can be all carried at the same time (and must usually be collected from spawns on the map) The weapons basically are the classes. No concern for realism of any sort. Typically high skill ceiling. Preferred game mode is deathmatch. Every man for himself. You mean there are other game modes? Heretic. Popular in the 90's and early 00's. Examples: Quake and UT

CoD and Battlefield are casualised versions of something called a tactical shooter. Tactical shooters are FPS that try to simulate real military tactics with some degree of realism. Rainbow Six and Counterstrike are typical examples. Cod and BF throw away most of the pretension of realism and just keep the surface military theme. They're super popular, apparently. They're best just called military shooters, or cancer.

TF2 and Overwatch don't really have a subgenre of their own, but maybe they will, when more games try to ride OW's success.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:00 am

Full marks to Narts.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:44 am

i mean real talk

i grew up on arena shooters (first game i have memories of was the original Unreal and i have a nostalgia boner for that entire series until they RUINED IT etc) and they're pretty much my preferred type of shooter by a large margin

but mentioning halo 5 in the title i figured that guesty just wanted to talk about multiplayer shooters really

and then once bog posted i had to bite

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:04 am

Oh I 100% knew that Guesty meant straight up multiplayer shooters, but games being placed in the wrong genres (even officially, like Diablo being marketed as an RPG) really irritates me for some reason. :P

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:54 pm

genre is just an arbitrary form of categorization. who gives a damn abour what goes where
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Just like words in general are an arbitrary form of categorisation. If you don't care about agreeing to common definitions, you might as well be babbling into the air.

fudge liberal education

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:10 pm

HPD wrote:genre is just an arbitrary form of categorization. who gives a damn abour what goes where
I'm sure if I started referring to AW as an FPS you'll have something to say about it.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:02 pm

I would play an AW FPS. Badly, mind you, but I would still play it.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Battalion wars seemed to not be overly promising..

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:38 am

Battalion Wars is an FPS?

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:19 am

Close enough to scare me.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:54 pm

battalion wars was cute but shallow
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm only going off reviews long ago, but controlling units in real time compromises tactical gameplay. FPS is also always real time.

The other reason being that taking AW's somewhat lenient stance on the actual death part of war would become far more awkward. A gaudy bright coloured shooter with a classic AW theme just scares me.

Closest thing to it that actually works is Valkyria Chronicles, and that pauses the action if you're actually aiming.

daisy

Post by daisy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:20 am

*swings rod*

All Nintendo games are shallow lol

*waits for bite*

Heroic Spyro

Post by Heroic Spyro » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:21 am

battalion wars 1 & 2 they were ok. But sometimes the controls were sticky. They story line was interesting. Battalion wars 1 the iron legion zombies XD. The music was good too for some of it. Battalion wars 2 interesting story line too. Made Vlad more power hungry. yeah some of them are very very shallow others are good.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:36 am

Oh, I see what you mean Dave(baaaaaaait).But a lot of them are just being accessible by design. For example, it is certainly possible to create a pokemon game that's complex and hard as hell all the way through without fiddling with too much mechanics. But they aren't going to do it for the kids. Mario can be kind of swallow, but it's a highly polished swallow. And some games like Fire Emblem(depends on game) and advance wars defy it. I can now say from experience Super Metroid it a complex game too.

And there's the fact many of those games have bonus modes to crank the insanity up a far notch... Nintendo Hard is a trope.

Or did you mean general presentation of all their games? You've got specific tastes Nintendo does rarely match.