The Nintendo Switch

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

The Nintendo Switch

Post by Linkman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:20 am

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Re: The Nintendo Switch

Post by Narts » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:13 am

A two-dimensional rectangle.

That's the past.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:39 am

Looks nice.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:09 am

Dragonite wrote:Looks nice.
Pretty much how I feel right now.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:41 am

will it have jrpgs

xenoblade doesn't count
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:57 am

Pkdragon wrote:will it have jrpgs

xenoblade doesn't count
I'm assuming it's going to eat both the 3DS and the Wii U "future" libraries, so whatever the 3DS would get I guess.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:02 am

ok sweet it might have more than two rpgs total then, if only for the Etrian series.

Seriously, as an rpg fan the wiiU offered me a grand total of 2 games- Xenoblade and that SMTxFE game. This is what came up when I filtered "RPG" on Amazon. Not my console.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:19 am

I'm not so confident that it'll replace the 3DS - if it does then it'll be a sad day for Etrian Odyssey, since the TV configuration doesn't look dual-screen friendly and the portable one just flat-out doesn't have two screens.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:37 am

As much as I appreciate how Etrian Odyssey uses its two screens, it would hardly be a dealbreaker to have only one, they'd just have to rework the interface to rely a bit more on menus. A step backwards, to be sure, but not a dealbreaker like say, a lack of a touch screen would be >_>

Maybe it'll convince the devs to make a game that's sorta-like-EO-but-not-quite, (like Fairy Fencer F to Neptunia, or Phantom Brave to Disgaea). Though I guess non-franchise games don't do so well on Nintendo systems.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:40 am

The fact that Nintendo publicly announced they're combining their portable and handheld teams about a year or two ago means that I think that this basically IS the 3DS successor.

They're trying to have their cake here - The 3DS-ness is for Japan and the home console-ness is for the west.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 am

Except, y'know, the part where it probably doesn't have a touch screen? Take away the mapping and it's not an EO game any more.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:42 am

*shrug*?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Yeah, if it doesn't have a touch screen, that's extremely awkward, considering these guys turned having a touch screen into the standard for portable gaming.

But I wouldn't put it past them.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Looks pretty cool, but I really want to know what their plans for the future are.

like, I actually really like my 3DS.

also i wonder about specs
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:11 am

Pkdragon wrote:Yeah, if it doesn't have a touch screen, that's extremely awkward, considering these guys turned having a touch screen into the standard for portable gaming.

But I wouldn't put it past them.
I'd be surprised if there's no touch screen and no motion controls.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 am

Motion controls without VR are pathetically pointless anyway

No touch screen would be puzzling to say the least, though.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:08 pm

I am going to need bigger pockets.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:28 am

It's a step in the right direction. Not sure how splitscreen will work. (Let's face it - it's actually called the Mario Kart Machine 6)

Battery life will suck as it's using some version of Nvidia's Tegra under the hood. That also means it won't be as powerful as even the PS4/XB1, so it's DOA and the third parties won't be around for long. Nintendo clearly haven't learned from their mistakes.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:18 am

Depends on how it's viewed. Switch will faltee as a console with a gimmicky handheld mode, but if it's comfortable to use in that state it's a new niche.

You think the only way a console can succed is the standard focus on maxizing specs?

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:18 am

Dragonite wrote:You think the only way a console can succed is the standard focus on maxizing specs?
Not to me. To third party developers.

They started leaving during the N64 era because the storage was too limited. It's also IMO ripping off the consumer cos it will probably still cost as much as whatever the new box from Sony/MS is.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:40 pm

So who's got one?

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 pm

i'm still not even sure i know what it is
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 pm

it's just a way to play zelda game that's all

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:05 pm

A two-dimensional rectangle.

From the past.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:42 pm

I might get one very soon. I'm in doubt about the price though, and it seems the early batch has bugs in soft and hardware. Zelda seems epic so I waaaaant iiiit.

MobiusReactor

Post by MobiusReactor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:02 pm

My other half should be getting hers today, will report back with a proper opinion then, along with thoughts on Zelda.
The user formerly known as St Johnston

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:55 am

Hey y'all, I've got one of these and it's pretty spectacular

By that I mean "Zelda is unreal good and that is absolutely coloring my opinion of the hardware as well," but I gotta say the Joy Cons are really easy to adapt to and are probably the nicest controller Nintendo has ever made

Being able to keep playing Zelda on the can rules as well
Make good choices

MobiusReactor

Post by MobiusReactor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:27 am

Can confirm that zelda is fantastic, it's been a while since I played a new game for 8 hours straight like that. Switch seems like a pretty decent piece of kit, was skeptical at first but hving actually seen it first-hand it's starting to win me over. JoyCons seem too small to use one half of in multiplayer, but that's not a surprise, there's a reason I got the XL 3DS.

Zelda framerate on the WiiU is more prone to drops than the switch version, but I haven't seen it get too bad on either console, the worst is due to the grass in the starting area, from what I can tell.

Good god that game is huge, from what I can tell the map is split into 15 sections, I've only been in three of them, and already feel like I've missed a lot.

Now, back to doing the uni work I was supposed to be doing yesterday.
The user formerly known as St Johnston

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:14 pm

We'll get one for Splatoon2, but that day hasn't arrived yet and we don't have enough golds quite yet...ish.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm

im gonna wait until the beta is finished and then i'll pick one up
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 pm

From what I heard, I really should be worried about the dock. Seems to be the weak spot in switch 1.0's design. Maybe they fine-tune it in a later batch. As for now I might wait until April. Thing is bloody hard to get atm anyway.