Golden Axe Warrior world map

This is the media board. Discuss movies, games, music, books and any other media here.

Moderator: Terragent

Jake Armitage

Golden Axe Warrior world map

Post by Jake Armitage » Thu May 24, 2018 4:38 am

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I was into making maps on excel for games. One of the ones I made was a world map for Golden Axe Warrior. I recently found someone who could make a gilcee canvas map from that:

I had two sizes made - one that is 11" x 17" and one that is 24" x 36".

I also tortured excel into making hex grid maps and made a set of all the battlefields for Brigandine and for Dark Wizard.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Golden Axe Warrior world map

Post by HPD » Thu May 24, 2018 6:48 am

Wow, that must've taken some serious effort to do. How'd you manage to get Excel to make a decent hex grid map?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Jake Armitage

Post by Jake Armitage » Thu May 24, 2018 9:27 am

HPoD wrote: ↑
Thu May 24, 2018 6:48 am
Wow, that must've taken some serious effort to do. How'd you manage to get Excel to make a decent hex grid map?
Unfortunately the newer versions of excel don't support them anymore. In at least some of the older versions of excel you could rotate the cell walls to 60 degrees (among other degrees). Then it was a matter of playing with the spacing to get things to line up. Each hex wound up with one cell being the bottom half of the hex and three cells made up the top half (which turned out to be really useful for the many special locations in Dark Wizard). I used various colors and some hatching for the various terrains - I used the shape command to draw roads and bridges. Fortunately I have paper copies of everything since the current excel won't display my files properly.

Here are a few examples of what resulted:

I also made maps for Warsong - those were on 5" floppies which have long since vanished - so I also just have paper copies for those.
Last edited by Jake Armitage on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Huh. That's seriously cool.

I'm always amazed with what you can do with excel of all things.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Jake Armitage

Post by Jake Armitage » Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 pm

When I was still working I used excel for all sorts of stuff - people would tell me "you can't do that with it" - and most of the time I would prove them wrong (mostly because they didn't understand the power of conditionals) - just took a little imagination which many people (despite their being much more knowledgeable about computers than I) just seemed to lack for some reason.

I started out with supercalc until it got absorbed by Lotus123 which in turned got absorbed by Excel. While not as powerful as the later versions of excel (which is only because it was a much earlier program) I much preferred Lotus123 since it operated on standard logic which I really understood - excel seems to operate on a boolean logic, which, while I know it exists, I don't understand (nor, more importantly perhaps, do I think in).

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu May 24, 2018 10:53 pm

That is awesome.

I'm not familiar with the games in question, but I absolutely love maps like that, and it's even more impressive that you made them with excel. I'd love to see bigger versions, tbqh.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Jake Armitage

Post by Jake Armitage » Thu May 24, 2018 11:41 pm

I wish I could do more with them - but I just have a chromebook which is really limited. About the only thing I miss from when I worked was access to decent computer equipment (and technical support). They obviously look a lot better on the physical copies - I have them printed on 11 x 17 paper (aside from my two canvas GAW maps) - I would love to do those on larger canvas but the cost would be scary high.

I would highly recommend looking into Dark Wizard (Sega CD) - it is a pretty amazing game. Brigandine (PS1) isn't shabby either.

Jake Armitage

Post by Jake Armitage » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm

Here is a bit closer shot of the GAW map:

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:49 am

I don't think that link works... are you sure you're actually linking to an image?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Jake Armitage

Post by Jake Armitage » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 am

HPD wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:49 am
I don't think that link works... are you sure you're actually linking to an image?
It is showing up for me.

Does this work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:22 am

neat
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:05 am

Holy moly that is huge!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 am

I think Golden Axe is a turn based strategy game from the 16 bit era? Maybe a Shining Force competitor?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Jake Armitage

Post by Jake Armitage » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:16 am

It was a clone of the NES Zelda (so not a strategy game) on the Sega Master System - but did it much better IMHO.

That map represents 225 game screens - 36000 excel cells in total!

May well have been the biggest overworld at that time.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:19 am

Ahh, that would explain why that map is giving off the strong zelda vibes.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.