Advance Wars: Project

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

donnytondesterkste

Re: Advance Wars: Project

Post by donnytondesterkste » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:12 am

Can you release veteran units in a separate patch than the new AW bundle? It's an interesting concept but I'd rather not turn my game into FE.

Also, won't ranking up be heavily concentrated around the KO units, like bombers, Md. Tanks, AA, missiles, and fighters? You're not going to see artillery getting super high ranks anytime soon (even if you do use them as a main attacker, you'd need lots of numbers to get kills and thus your EXP would be spread across several artillery).
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:19 am

Can you release veteran units in a separate patch than the new AW bundle? It's an interesting concept but I'd rather not turn my game into FE.
Not very easily. It's tied in with all the changes I've made to the damage formula, CO stat implementations, unit data and a few other thingies. (Also if you look closely it's the same setup as DoR).
Also, won't ranking up be heavily concentrated around the KO units, like bombers, Md. Tanks, AA, missiles, and fighters? You're not going to see artillery getting super high ranks anytime soon (even if you do use them as a main attacker, you'd need lots of numbers to get kills and thus your EXP would be spread across several artillery).
Yes, that's an advantage that units with higher firepower concentrated into a single unit tend to get.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:50 am

I can't say I care very much about unit veterancy.
Compare to build percentages in DoR and you'll see that they're basically ridiculously high. DoR in and of itself has a much, much higher percentage of non-Inf/Arty/Tank.

Edit: Gip has kindly given me the latest update for his build stats. Percentage of funding for core units is ~18%/11%/11%/11% for important core units, and the rest is pretty well distributed around the edges. Compare that to the 80-90% funding and yeah....there's a reason it gets that reputation in AWBW.
The percentage you can see on AWBW is unit built percentage not the funding percentage. The funding that goes into the infantry spam is only around 13%.

Take benbever's stats and you've got around 16% (artillery), 13% (tank), 13% (infantry) and 10 % (BCopter) in funding. (I chose benbever because his style is artillery heavy, others have higher tank counts.)

If you want to look at DoR's distribution in unit count (recent Gip) we've got:
Infantry 15%, Mech 23.5%, Bike 14%, Artillery 16%, Tank 8%, BCopter 6.5% which account for 83% of units built
And in AWBW (for benbever)
Infantry 53.5%, Mech 8.5%, Artillery 11%, Tank 8%, BCopter 5% which account for 86% of units built

So sure, DoR has a much higher percentage of non-inf/tank/art but it all goes into mechs and Bikes. The amount of capturing meatshields has pretty much stayed the same. And tanks/art/Bcopters are still part of the core units while the rest are still mostly ignored.

But what you should note is that benbever is the biggest artillery spammer in AWBW. (And by that I mean that other strong players have very different distributions. My artillery count is under 3% while my tank count is 12% and Kam's artillery count is 6% while his tank count is 15%. Infantry count is still as high while the mech count is waaay lower.) So DoR is apparently seriously heavy on the artillery spam. And mechs.
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:15 am

Xenesis wrote:
Not very easily. It's tied in with all the changes I've made to the damage formula, CO stat implementations, unit data and a few other thingies. (Also if you look closely it's the same setup as DoR).
Yes, that's an advantage that units with higher firepower concentrated into a single unit tend to get.
What about those of us who want to keep AW's non-RPG gameplay? I'm sure it's not just me who objects to unit leveling in AW...

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:47 am

donnyton wrote: ...
What about those of us who want to keep AW's non-RPG gameplay? I'm sure it's not just me who objects to unit leveling in AW...
Agreed.

Also, Xen said on AWN Veterancy could be easily added in the balance hack...
My sig is a void.

Drake

Post by Drake » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:11 am

It gives incentive to keep units alive and go on the offence while making infantry and low-HP fodder a further liability. In DoR micro you're more selective about which units get the finishing blow. You might want to get certain positioned artillery to vet status to be able to OHKO bikes and mechs.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:36 am

donnyton wrote:What about those of us who want to keep AW's non-RPG gameplay? I'm sure it's not just me who objects to unit leveling in AW...
Well, if you're lucky I might have some room in the interface at the end to make it a toggleable option. A few things are being removed from the game options and a few things added...then again I made one or two things togglable that probably don't need to be, mainly for testing purposes.....Otherwise...there are other AW games that did it first (those being Super Famicom Wars which was much more RPGish in it's progression and Days of Ruin which has an identical system)?
ThunderWalker wrote:Also, Xen said on AWN Veterancy could be easily added in the balance hack...
That's because I'd likely dump the whole damage formula change into there at the same time. There's a lot of core changes (so much so that pretty much none of the original damage formula code is there) and I had to do a lot of new stuff to let things like Kemal's Transport Boosting, Klaus' Terrain Piercing and unit veterancy happen as well as a few other quirks that I haven't revealed yet. It'd be clean enough for a balance hack where I usually add a bunch of data bits and pieces everywhere but for a standalone patch it's fugly.

And quickly while I'm at it:
Kireato wrote:So sure, DoR has a much higher percentage of non-inf/tank/art but it all goes into mechs and Bikes. The amount of capturing meatshields has pretty much stayed the same. And tanks/art/Bcopters are still part of the core units while the rest are still mostly ignored.
The way the game is set up, you can't really use them as meatshields in the AW2 way because you just feed CO Zone to your opponent. But regardless. Arties come out as finishers - if you build them too early you don't have any momentum and the number of mechs need to be balanced with units that can hold an advance area such as Tanks/Copters/AA/Recon/Blah.

But the point is, the nature of the game will be very push oriented like DoR as opposed to more stallish like the older games.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 am

So will there be some kind of testing period before this is actually released? I'd be willing to give feedback on balance, gameplay etc. I'm not totally against an RPGish system done right, but usually when I think of TBS with RPG I get nightmares about Fire Emblem.

Also I'd love to make maps for campaign/versus/war room so if you need any tell me.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Eventually.

It's barely anything like an RPG anyhow. Not like you can grindan your dudes.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:13 pm

Eh. What role is there to play? The use of COs is more a role-playing element than leveling up of units.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Kireato wrote:
I'm not totally against an RPGish system done right, but usually when I think of TBS with RPG I get nightmares about Fire Emblem.
The only thing I find hateful about Fire Emblem is the RNG.
The grinding was really what annoyed me. Even if you chose not to grind, by the end you just had 4 uber guys who would murder entire armies without losing any health. Somehow, on big maps with lots of time I envision a bomber that OHKOs everything and barely takes damage back from fighters.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:19 pm

That sounds awfully like a Tabiunit..
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:39 pm

Not really, considering a Tabibomber still takes a lot of damage from even bland Missiles.
105/1.8 = ~58%. Are you really going to attack if 58% damage to your Bomber is the answer?
Considering you can build several missiles - 2, maybe even 3 - without getting a disadvantage against the Tabibomber... I don't think the Bomber is a good CO unit for Tabitha.
My sig is a void.

Kireato

Post by Kireato » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:02 am

The veteran system has no grinding and the boost granted is not as fantastic as what you envision, donnyton.
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:16 am

Kireato wrote:I was pointing out that AWBW and DoR have roughly similar funding dedicated to the core units, similar number of soldier units built and the same core units distributed similarly.
The numbers are a lot more balanced between the set is all and there's reasons to build non-core units as more of a throwaway response or in the 1% games. That's really all the point I'm making. And even if the funding contribution was identical, 1.5k vs 1k infantry means 2/3 of the infantry on the field.
But that's fine because as far as I'm concerned I'm only looking forward to the single player.
Considering it's a rom hack of a GBA game (with absolutely no guarantee that the hacks work in link mode) that's...fair.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 am

Kireato wrote:The veteran system has no grinding and the boost granted is not as fantastic as what you envision, donnyton.
In the AW2 Balance hack, it is... at least significant.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:26 am

ThunderWalker wrote:
Kireato wrote:The veteran system has no grinding and the boost granted is not as fantastic as what you envision, donnyton.
In the AW2 Balance hack, it is... at least significant.
It's on the level of helpful, but not amazing. It only really gets good when combined with a CO's unit-specific boosts.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Xenesis wrote:
ThunderWalker wrote:In the AW2 Balance hack, it is... at least significant.
It's on the level of helpful, but not amazing. It only really gets good when combined with a CO's unit-specific boosts.
And in cases in which the normal damage is between 90 and 99% damage as well, because the boost ensures the OHKO's.
Artillery, Rockets, Md Tanks, 90/100 Anti-Airs, 90/100 Recons and 90/100 Neotanks will get more OHKO's which bland CO's do not obtain, while boosted units will get more OHKO's as well... especially in the case of Max.

It is probably better to get rid of SCOP's altogether... lol... considering, many, many SCOP's (pretty much all but Counter Break and Barter) are broken if one or a few already boosted Veteran units can get a first strike on a more expensive unit. This makes veteran units quite a key target. Especially Max' because those get already a massive boost under his SCOP.
My sig is a void.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:38 am

ThunderWalker has a good point. Most boosts from say, 80 to 85% won't make a huge difference but the boost from 90 to 95% will be MASSIVE in terms of changing the game, since AW has a tendency to rely too much on OHKOs to break chokepoints and meatshields.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:25 am

Well, surely, that helps it not be a stalemate.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:49 am

Well, surely a unit's first 3 ranks shouldn't be inconsequential while the 4th makes it uberpowerful.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 am

Donnyton, don't forget SCOP's. A Max veteran Md Tank deals 99% damage to a Neotank during SCOP. :shock:
My sig is a void.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:21 am

20/20 is nothing

honestly donnyton your fears are ridiculous

you're going to increase the number of kills needed by one at most.

xen isn't keeping the aw2 defence as far as I know.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:58 am

Talk with Kanbei.

If his tank is 140/140, it is nearly as powerful as a Md Tank from other CO's.
Once his Md Tank is 140/140, it is more powerful than a Neotank.
If he builds a Neotank and it obtains veterancy, you'd better have two Bombers ready to blow it up, even if it means you need to sacrifice one of them :shock: .
My sig is a void.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 am

the tank is still made of paper and has all the inherent weaknesses of a direct unit

two bombers ready to blow up a kanbei neo hahahahahaha

maybe vs the AI

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 am

donnyton wrote:Well, surely a unit's first 3 ranks shouldn't be inconsequential while the 4th makes it uberpowerful.
Gives you a good reason to look at what you need to inhume more closely.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:00 am

Sven wrote:xen isn't keeping the aw2 defence as far as I know.
This is correct.

And the ranks are I, II and V.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Sven wrote:the tank is still made of paper and has all the inherent weaknesses of a direct unit

two bombers ready to blow up a kanbei neo hahahahahaha

maybe vs the AI
That Neotank OHKO's everything it can hit but your own Neotanks and Md tanks with at least 120 def.
You are going to use one Bomber if boosted, but otherwise you'll might want to use two. Even losing one Bomber versus the damage dealt to the Kanbei Neotank, isn't really that bad...
My sig is a void.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:45 pm

or maybe you know

i can just throw a bomber and two mechs at it. though why one would want a bomber is beyond me.

we're going to play savestate swap when this comes out so that i can rape you when you build two bombers.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Sven wrote:or maybe you know

i can just throw a bomber and two mechs at it. though why one would want a bomber is beyond me.

we're going to play savestate swap when this comes out so that i can rape you when you build two bombers.
It is also somewhat dependant on the situation and CO's we'll have chosen. If said Neotank is in range of several other units, or my Bomber is boosted, or whatever, one Bomber is obviously enough.
My sig is a void.

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:37 pm

I wonder if Xen's going to put in a CO that does something that diddles with the rank system. >_>

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:50 pm

it wasn't really the points you made thunderwalker, it was more your kneejerk reaction to a simple change, and the assumption that xenesis was some sort of idiot who would let himself create a terrible game just for his own jollies. perhaps you thought better of xen and it didn't come across in your posts, i do not know. but i felt obligated to defend him in some way.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Sniffit II wrote:I wonder if Xen's going to put in a CO that does something that diddles with the rank system. >_>
I thought about it, but I didn't really want to.

Everyone else: You should really stop using AW2 units/COs as arguments.

I suppose I should clarify a few things now:

-The only units I've explicity revealed are on the blog. Many old units will have changes in stats, abilities and other things.
-None of the AW2 COs will return
-I'm not using AW2's damage formula.
Sven wrote:the assumption that xenesis was some sort of idiot who would let himself create a terrible game just for his own jollies.
Well, I certainly hope that isn't the case :/

I'd like to play it myself!

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:23 pm

Sven wrote:it wasn't really the points you made thunderwalker, it was more your kneejerk reaction to a simple change, and the assumption that xenesis was some sort of idiot who would let himself create a terrible game just for his own jollies. perhaps you thought better of xen and it didn't come across in your posts, i do not know. but i felt obligated to defend him in some way.
I don't think Xen will make a terrible game. You definately misread that; I only meant to say I am concerned about the balance.
Alltough it doesn't really matter if the balance hack was closer to perfectly balanced. Several CO's are, but eight out of nineteen are not also a few matchups (three where I can think of, Cruiser vs Cruiser, Anti-Air vs Bomber/Bomber vs Anti-Air and the Bomber vs Md Tank matchup) are messed up. If the balance hack is fixed once and for all, AWP can end up wherever Xen wants, as I do not really care for balance in Single Player unless it is meant to be balanced (like the balance hack), and in this case, orginality is considered more important than balance.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:45 pm

TW, I'll say this...I must admit I always found your opinion on the balance....interesting to say the least.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:14 am

Xenesis wrote:TW, I'll say this...I must admit I always found your opinion on the balance....interesting to say the least.
I am going to write you an PM. It is going to be a long one... and it is offtopic.
My sig is a void.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:08 am

I know I'm late to the party but jeez, what is with all the whining about veterancy bonuses? It makes the game more interesting and is literally nothing like FE. To be honest, I don't see the point in whining about balance too much before the hack is even complete - let's just let Xen finish it first, then we can test it and give him feedback.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 am

Agreed and in the meanwhile we can entertain ourselves by testing THIS.

In the newest version, network play. (so he says) For whoever wants to give it a try I'm on IRC.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:57 pm

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Ha, kiwi's going to have a fit when he sees that.

On a related note, is there a limit on what graphics you can use? Could COs have alternate costumes if you were so inclined?