Commander Wars

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

Which Sturm Style would you like to see in Commander Wars?

AW1-Sturm
17%
AW2-Sturm
28%
Both
39%
Don't care.
17%

Total votes: 18

JSRulz

About Custom Wars Tactics

Post by JSRulz » Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 pm

GipFace wrote:Custom Wars Tactics: This is the project headed by JSRulz. If this ever gets finished, I think people will be looking forward to AW3 play more than AW4 play despite my belief that AW4 is more tactically sound, and that's fine. AW3 PvP didn't get off the ground too much because it was a pain to set up games, so a pain-free method to play (as long as there's a central lobby for game finding) is a good way to promote it. We can finally play more than a single Hachi vs. Sensei game. (Hachi vs. Sensei is a nightmare to play because both COs will hit the 50 unit cap in a standard map)
For all who are interested in what this project is, these pages should be more than enough.

Custom Wars Tactics Hub
Custom Wars Tactics Updates

Thanks for that input Gipface. I think my mission for the eventual completion of this project would be to capture the feel of AW as closely as I can. The starting goal is just to stick this game to the core basics, which is AW1, AW2, AWDS, and AWDoR. Once all of those are properly emulated, then I will consider expanding to the other modification factions and so-forth.

As for the project itself, it is being lead by someone who is a programmer. The progress of the project is being controlled in a way so I do not stress out the people I have working on the project. Whatever does not get finished by my team will eventually get tackled by me. So, as long as I am breathing, I will keep striving to get this project completed. I also am working to make this program the quality people would expect from a AW clone, because I feel a lot of the previous clones did not do this.

The only thing I promised was complete access to the information we have available. This I have done as all our work and progress is properly logged in a repository and the blog. Since the progress is completely based on free-time, the nature of this particular project does not allow me to give out any concrete brackets of release. However, we do try earnestly to make our release dates. My goal for this project is 100% completion, not timely releases. I apologize for any inconvenience this my cause.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that I am reading up and lurking across all the various AW boards. Don't be too surprised if a lot of the ideas and suggestions you guys post up end up being represented within this project. I hope you all will continue to lurk on our progress to keep us motivated to complete this.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Commander Wars

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 19, 2013 11:41 pm

Oh, give me some time. I should be able to get you *most* of the samples for the SFX.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 am

For the timer, I think it's a better idea to base it on the number of units you own, rather than using a static timer.

5 seconds per unit + 20 seconds seems good. That gives a player 0:20 on day 1, 2:00 with 20 units in play, and 4:30 with the maximum 50 units in play. I can handle about 25 units in 1:00 in AW4 (great for Jester/Heaven Map on random wi-fi), but I'm obviously faster than most people due to my experience. The 5+20 timer seems good for a non-blitz game, yet fast enough to encourage spectating.

A variable timer also prevents situations where one player becomes butthurt and stalls out the timer to irritate the opponent.

Matex

Post by Matex » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:24 am

meh i liked this project alot :(

is there any way to play this online via hamachi or smth? couldnt get the multiplayer to work.

Robosturm

Post by Robosturm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:21 am

It’s been a while since i’ve done something for CoW.
But since i used a lot of time to program CoW.

I decided to fix most known\unknown bux in the latest release (from 2012)

Bugs:

- Transportes forced the Engine to crush (Fixed who the hell developed Zero-Pointers?)
- Network-Menu starting a Network Game no works more or less (some Timing-Bugs forces you to click some stuff twice or so) feel free to click yourself to death
- Network-Menue (TCP/IP) try ping in cmd before starting a Network Game with someone (works with Hamachi).
- AI several Bugs of the AI are fixed
- The unreadable Mapfile Loading stuff forced some funny bugs in Fog of War (Fixed)
- Multiple smaller Bugs where fixed

To be done:

- Connection Looses or Timeouts need to be handled L
- Bugs that will be found
- Stuff you may want to be included may be done or not
- Maybe i find some time to improve and finish the Hard AI

I needed to change some Links:
Download Link of the Current Game Version: http://www.freefilehosting.net/commande ... -version13
Commander Wars Music: http://www.freefilehosting.net/commanderwarsmusic
Sourcecode: https://code.google.com/p/commander-wars-org/
Commander Wars only another AW-Clone?
Want to help us? (We search some spriters)
CommanderWars@gmx.de

Heroic Spyro

Post by Heroic Spyro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:18 pm

I haven't seen you in years.

Robosturm

Post by Robosturm » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:44 am

Yes that's true.

But now i'm working on CoW again.

I fixed 98% of all bugs that i implemented in the last Version and made it unplayable. :(
My Bad.

Im fixing some really rare bugs with the AI on huge Maps.

My next step is to fix the Network Menue (you need to click some stuff twice or ten times) and handling an Internet Connection lose.

And if somebody finds a bug to fix that as well.

So that we have a stable Version of CoW.
CommanderWars@gmx.de

Robosturm

Post by Robosturm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 am

Okay get a CO-Cookie and let's see what has been done:

Bug Fixes:
- In some rare cases the Capture Icon doesn't disapear
- Victory Screen all Graphs are shown correctly now (Fixed the Peak in the Player Strength Screen) as well as some minor glitches
- Heavy AI crashes during joining units (Work around)
- AI stopped moving on large maps after 120 days or so fixed
- Not all choosen Game Rules got into the Game (Fixed) forgot a reload at a point.
- Maybe some more but that are the most obvious ones

New Stuff:
:super: added new Cheats (for testing but hey you can use them as well)
- Network changed the Socket Script so it can handle lost orders (due to a Internet DC).

Todo or Upcoming stuff:
- Adding a loading function for Network Games
- Improving the Network Menue (mainly avoiding that people need to click stuff three times)
- Making Scripts working in Network Games

- A bigger Network Test with the new Network Socket

I plan to release those fixes in 2-3 weeks, but i don't know what i implement for this release besides the bug fixes.

If you know any bug not listed tell me and i try to fix it.
CommanderWars@gmx.de

Blame_Game

Post by Blame_Game » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:00 pm

wowwww, you are a beast dude <3 i'll definitely give this more of a go once i fix my good computer =(

Robosturm

Post by Robosturm » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:35 am

Well i did some stuff in the last days.

First what has been done:
- i fixed several visual glitches in the game
- Fixed the Network Menue mainly (on Client side you may need to choose you're CO twice :( still searching for a solution here))
- Network Games should work fine (as long as you don't use Tag Teams somehow swapping CO's is bugged searching for the reason)
- However i fixed the network play so PvP Games are playable. ( the game uses a TCP\IP Connection You need the ip or TCP-Name of the Host to join a game)
- For a more detailed report take you're time and look into the Mercurial Repository on the Google Code page https://code.google.com/p/commander-war ... ource/list
- Added some more AW-Maps to the ressources.
- Netframework 3.5 isn't required anymore all .dll are in the zip.
- You still need DirectX 9.0c though.

New Version can be found here: http://www.freefilehosting.net/commande ... -version14
I hope you don't find any critical bugs.

TODO for the next Version:
-High priority stuff:
- Including saving and loading for Multiplayer Games
- Adding Observer Mode for Games (Not that hard actually)
- Adding a solution if the connection between a server and client is destoyed e.g. when a player leaves the game (the game crushes at the moment here)
- Bug fixes (if someone finds some and reports them)

As you see the main focus is implementing a full working PvP or PvP vs AI enviroment for AW.
You won't see a Main-Server you can play since i have a) no idea how to code that and work on stuff like that like server maintaince b) dunno how much stuff like that costs and i guess it's not worth for such a small community.

- Low Priority stuff
- working on the Battle Animation Class (visual glitches everywere)
- working on the AI

Here a small old Screen of the Rule Menue:

Most stuff should be clear here:
- Timemode You can swap between a time for each turn or a time for the whole game (time for each player)
- Round Time the time a player gets.
- Preset Rules changes all Rules to that rules used in the AW-Game
- Building Blockade every CO has to have an amount of each units and not more e.g. you can't build endless infantrys
- Price increase if you have more unitds of one type this unit cost more
- If you have two infantries and the rule is set to 100 you need to pay 1200 for the next infantry
- Air Battle well opens up a Air Battle where fightes can fight eachother
- Gameplay changes some ingame rules like damage calculation and the strength of a CO-Abilities.

A small Screen of the fixed Editor with the Zoom-Engine

Inside the Map menue you can setup the map you want to create. Mirror or turning a map by 180° resizes the map and makes it bigger.
However you can always change the size of a map with change map.
Inside Map-Support you find someuseful import functions e.g. loading ".aws" Map files or ".aw4" map files for the PC-based map creators.
Inside change units you can setup the HP Fuel etc of a unit adding loaded units to units. or destroy a unit stuff like that.
With fill you can create lines rectancle or circles on the map if you're lazzy (like me)

Small victory Screen of an AI vs AI Game over 90 days without any problems: (did several runs on different maps to find any in game bugs)

Change the CO-Style

Let's see what i code in the next future.
I hope you enjoy playing it.
And telling me how bad and stupid this game is. :D
CommanderWars@gmx.de

Ruko

Post by Ruko » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:59 am

I just want to inform you how thankful I am for your work. Me and my friends included. We've been playing this game, or atleast attempting to for a very very long time despite the many bugs that it had. But now that you've come back and you're polishing things up this is great news. We thought that another good game had to bite the bullet. First off Welcome back. Second off good job on your hard work and dedication to this game even after such a long time. Looking forward to all future things you have planed.

Robosturm

Post by Robosturm » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:53 am

If you find a bug post it here or better open an issue here https://code.google.com/p/commander-war ... ssues/list.
I'm sadly handy capped right now.
Since i needed to reinstall my whole computer and i need to get the Microsoft Visual Studio installer paket from a friend. :(

I realized i forget to add the complete ressource folder to the last version.
Just use the ressources from the old version
CommanderWars@gmx.de

Heroic Spyro

Post by Heroic Spyro » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:59 pm

You have my backing now Robosturm.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:40 pm

i tried some stuff in dark conflict/days of ruin mode, and there seem to be some differences. i used tabitha but her CO zone was very large, for example.

Project Command

Post by Project Command » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:41 pm

Is this project still active, because this is quite the feat and I love it to bits. :D

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:10 am

Seems is not but you can get source code, so in theory i will able to test it and maybe continue with project, is creator still active??

Project Command

Post by Project Command » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:47 pm

I have tried this game but I don't know if the creator is still working on this.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:59 pm

I haven't seen the creator on here in about 2 years, so I have no idea what is/is not happening.

You could always try sending them a message?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Project Command

Post by Project Command » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:37 am

I will try and message him.

Heroic Spyro

Post by Heroic Spyro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:50 am

I think he moved on he told me he did a final release a while back.

Project Command

Post by Project Command » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Got it

fishes220

Post by fishes220 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Does anyone have the latest game download. if so can you give it out to me :)

RokumanZA

Post by RokumanZA » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Actually I would love the latest version as well if anybody still has it and could upload it. :gesalute: The last version I could find was 10 or 11 I think... :(

Ruko

Post by Ruko » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:21 pm

But really, does anyone still contain the latest version, Version 14 I believe.

Project Command

Post by Project Command » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:00 am

I really don't know but now I want version 14. (if it exsists) :gecap:

Project Command

Post by Project Command » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:06 am

:miss: How do you code custom units into the game?

Project Command

Post by Project Command » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 pm

How do I get to play online, it still isn't working for me. :miss:

Heroic Spyro

Post by Heroic Spyro » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:55 pm

The person gave up upon it, It's very buggy and prone to crashes and most of the stuff is in German. Also, there is 2 COs in the game that are completely broken and don't work.