War Room Hack II - Beta Test

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: War Room Hack II - Beta Test

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:31 am

I've still been too terrified to make a serious attempt at Old Wounds.

For anybody else taking it on, the best option I can see is to focus on the Bombers and B-Copters, use the newly-added port to make a Cruiser and load a T-Copter (or two?) into it, and then use that for the HQ capture. I don't think there's a place for a lander to drop off. (If my memory's wrong about that, then go with that instead. Maybe that's a tweak that could be made to the map, actually?)
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:50 am

Old Wounds should have shoals near Eagle's HQ in the WRH2 version. If there's not I've missed it.

Also, the latest update gave the player 3 more cities so that should loosen it up a bit.

And yeah, hard maps left. >_<

I'm currently attempting to crack Bombardier. Git keeps building fighters near his HQ.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 am

I just noticed the pipe seams are uneven on Silo Storm (move the left set one to the right)
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:13 am

Okay, that's easy to fix.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 am

Actually move the right one left, moving the left one right makes a chokepoint in the middle :x

EDIT: Silo Storm is much easier, 9 Day capture on Olaf, will report once beaten

EDIT 2: 18 days 299 pts, you can probably tone it done so the player starts with 13000 G/turn; 300 is feasible I'm just really sloppy with technique :v

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:54 am

Alright, so 20 days is a safe time limit then. Excellent.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 am

Snow Day: 23 Days 268; lots of room for improvement (like actually trying to HQ capture sonja)

it feels really weird knowing lash has like 5000 G of income

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am

Yeah, HQ capture of Sonja pretty much ends the map. Lash is annoying, but not really a threat. Considering her low income, I don't see why a sneaky capture of Lash's HQ is out of the question early in the game either.

My best is currently 26/292 with Olaf.

Also, using a B-Copter, T-Copter and Infantry, I've found you can capture Olaf's HQ on Silo Storm by day 6.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Silo Storm: 17S with Hawke.

Captured Olaf's HQ by Day 6, reduced Grit to a skeleton army and then captured his HQ. Crushed Colin with the overflowingly large amount of funds at this point. No units lost.

The way I did the HQ capture on Olaf though I think requires +10% firepower - I needed to cripple one infantry with a B-Copter so my infantry would remain with 2HP for a 3 day capture (10-8-2)

Edit: For amusement, Caulder can win Silo Storm in 12 days :P

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:30 am

Snow Day 16/300 S Rank, using Sami (capturing both HQ's with Victory March in the same turn).
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 am

Great! That's only a handful to go. :)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:16 am

Clocked Battle Bridge - did it with Sensei. Goddamn, that time limit is tight though, don't think it is as doable with a CO who is bad at copters and mechs. I'll up the limit slightly next pass.

Also, somehow managed to bug out the tempo for Sensei's music. It plays twice as fast!

Finally, Split Mountain is a jerk. Soooooo many infantry. ._.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Updated Map Headers:
Battle Bridge
Marshlands

Updated Music:
Sensei's Theme (Fixed Tempo Bug)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Arhgbgh.

Riverside's time limit is tight, plus it has given me light on a 'Not intended behaviour'. If you win with Hawke, it uses his scores instead of the CO selected....a la AW2 campaign. Which unfortunately results in a (usually) abysmal power score :P

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm

I don't see how you're even supposed to get a good start on that map. There's so many enemy units and you get so little resources aaagh. Maybe we ought to combine the two armies? That would help with the score problem too.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Eh, you have enough resources I find. Once both P1 and Hawke have the near single bases it really flows quite easily. Basically stall with P1 Army and use Hawke's Artillery to whittle down the Medium Tanks. I just think I've made the speed limit too tight. 25-30 days would probably do it. Besides, the real bugger on this map is Power because Andy's base is so chokepointy. Although it might pay to lessen the AI's starting army and fix the AI so it does kill pipe seams again, that opens up the map a fair bit.

As for the score problem, I'll just do some assembly hacks.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:09 am

What Xen said. It isn't too difficult to stall that map and to get a good start. Within 12 days you can have a good offense going on the southern front.

Split Mountain is indeed annoying. Still, I got a 26-day 281-point A-rank with Hawke. I could've done better but it would still've taken 26 days though. It seems possible to S-rank it, but the timelimit is a bit tight considering HQ capture is no option unless you're close to routing the AI anyway.

IT might be worth a try to overwhelm Lash first after you've captured the two leftmost neutral cities on the bottom of the map and to just stall Sami with a massive amount of infantry and some AA.

It also seems 110 offense is required because that will ensure one hit kills of Anti-airs against infantry and mech if they used power or are on plains, and makes many other one-hit-kills possible.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:30 am

Well, if that's the case then the map needs some rejiggering. Not sure what to do with it though.

But yeah, I did notice I had signifcantly more success with Jess than I did with someone with par or weaker vehicles.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:00 am

I'm going to retry it, maybe I can squeeze an S-rank out of it now, though it will require Hawke to do so (because both mass damage and 110/100 vehicles are required!)

Caulder might be capable of doing it as well, though.

Edit: Not only Hawke;
24 day 267 B-rank with Kanbei on second try; but this time, only power suffered and Speed and Technique were perfect. I needed to kill eight units in a single turn but killed only 5.

A perfect S-rank seems close now. :)
Last edited by ThunderWalker on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:38 am

Considering the nature of the map, Caulder would cut through it like a wrecking ball. Not that that is any surprise whatsoever. He cuts through every map like a wrecking ball.

Catch 22 is that another CO needs to be able to S-Rank it before you can use Caulder on it :P

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:16 am

Hm. 287 A-rank (perfect Technique, 88 Power and 99 Speed)
I killed 8 units but needed 9 (the AI built 81 units lol!).

Lol, that means also I would've S'ranked it if the AI did NOT move its last mech into the mountains where I couldn't hit it with 2 vehicles at once.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:13 am

My hunch is that the map would be improved by giving everyone less bases. Rather than 4/3/3 make it 2/2/2. I'll do that with the next update.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Update!

Map Layouts:
Split Mountain

Map Headers:
Riverside (Now Kills Pipe seams!)

Game Rules:
Score is always calculated from Player 1

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:44 pm

The old version of the Split Mountains was more difficult, but easier to S-rank, considering I could not get my offense going as early because of lack of bases in this new version.
33 days or smth, 246 B-rank. Also I needed to build additional infantry to get perfect technique, something which wasn't necessary in previous version (I simply lost twice as many units because I couldn't join enough).

Wasn't it easier to just turn the two southeasternmost mountains into plains while keeping the old version?
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:45 am

Not especially, no.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Very Quick Emergency Update
Fixed a crash involving Von Bolt. Redownload if you grabbed the last update.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:27 pm

Split Mountain 25 days, 300 S rank with Kanbei.

Time limit is very tight, though, and many units only survived because of Kanbei's 120/120 stats.

Also, I won by routing both armies (instead of HQ-capturing Lash and routing Sami).

Hm. Bank Robbery seems possible if timelimit was around 20-25 days.
20 days, 288 A-rank (89 Speed, 100 Power, 99 Technique (I could've spammed some additional inf and T-copters though)), CO was Colin. Won by rout.
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Huzzah!

Do you think Split Mountain is possible without any +Def CO at the moment? Otherwise I might give P1 a little more funds or something. And yeah, Bank Robbery's time limit hasn't been updated since I added the HQ guards.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:17 am

Well, on Split Mountain you simply haven't enough bases to keep a good offense going; you will build as many units as possible even with FOUR bases, but you have only two bases now; and considering you mainly build infantry, tanks and AA anyway (apart from a Medium Tank to break through Sami's forces during midgame).
That being said, you will have enough funds to go with Kanbei because the additional cost doesn't cause problems AT ALL.

Also, Sami builds a Rocket in the early game since you reduced the amount of bases (and Lash does too, unless you cripple her early enough), and unless the AI messes up when using it (and you need to kill it in a single turn once the AI messes up with it, otherwise the AI retreats the Rocket to a safe location behind too many infantry to kill), an S-rank is impossible even with Kanbei unless you have Nell's luck.

That being said, an S-rank currently requires both 120 offense and 120 defense!
My sig is a void.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 am

Well, considering Kanbei isn't even that good... :P

So further adjustment is needed regardless.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:24 am

I've updated the first post in the topic with relevant information on progress, etc. again.

As always I'm going to keep trying to nut out the maps...but I'm not as good as some of you so they'll end up easier if I'm left to my devices to tweak :P

Also: 14S on Unholy Alliance with Kanbei. The defence boost is a corker for capping on such a high funds map. Could possibly have done 13 days, but Technique was a tad short.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:23 pm

S-Rank CO tracking will happen!

I've got the game to record the data, I just need to figure out how to code to display it!

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm surprised nobody S-ranked Comet Catcher until now. 300 points in 22 days with Eagle! The map just isn't that hard from BH's original position. There's also no meteors to worry about. But there you go, just 5 maps to go now.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Yeah. I probably could have done it myself but I was always a bit sloppy with technique. That and I tried to do it a few times with Sonja. :P

Still, I'm glad it is ticked off. :)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Patch Update:

New Feature:
Tutorial - Basic rundown on scoring rules, changed features and unlocking stuff.
S-Rank recording - The game now records which COs you've S-Ranked a map with. Not retrospective, sorry. But if you upgrade now all future wins will be recorded. It's currently not displayed...that's to be done in future. :P

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:20 am

The tutorial is a cool idea. I noticed the screen blinked during some parts of the dialogue but that's no big deal. Though could you put an enemy unit on it so I can S-Rank it?

I'm weird and don't like seeing a C amongst all the Ss that I haven't actually gotten yet anyways. Heh.

Also, my old score for Bank Robbery is 296 points in 10 days with Sami. That means it SHOULD be possible to S-Rank. With Victory March. As in good luck with anyone else. I was close, though.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 am

Well, when I'm done proper the Tutorial shouldn't even save a rank at all - by completing it you should automagically S-Rank. I didn't get any blinking though! D:

(Currently it isn't in the saved area of RAM so it'll disappear even if you save and then reload the game)

As for your Bank Robbery time, was that before or after I added the HQ defence?

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:26 am

I'm pretty sure it was after.

I'll try it again now...

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Patch Update:

Bug Fixes:
-Caulder's CO Zone healing will now no longer cause funds to go potentially negative resulting in a ludicrous amount of money.
-Caulder's CO Zone healing will now no longer drain funds twice as much as standard repairs.
-CO Sprites will align to the right edge during SCOP Animation

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:28 am

I love Caulder's theme. But I can't hear VonBolt's anymore. :(
All maps are very ckallenging... didn't even S-rank any without cheating. :(
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn