War Room Hack II - Beta Test

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: War Room Hack II - Beta Test

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:03 pm

You can beat the tank rush (As everyone gets a B-Copter, 3 Tanks and Artillery), but I haven't found a way to rout/HQ capture within the Time limit without a T-Copter due to the 4 mechs Kanbei has.

And having Eagle/Sensei with 8-day minimum and everyone else with 20 day minimums is a bit silly.

Edit: Also also, Silo Storm would be a lot less nasty without giving the enemy easy Silos. Has anyone beaten the new version?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 pm

15 days with Drake on Talysman (8 if you remove the HQ mechs)

that battleship is RETARDEDLY USEFUL

EDIT: the main issue with Silo Storm is that the enemies start spamming the crumpets out of their bases, and also they clog up around Olaf's HQ, who is the easiest person to take out first, the silos are a minor nuisance (they launch it early enough to only affect cash)

the options are trying to bust through or an early HQ capture

busting through is a gigantic pain because you need a lot of heavy duty units, also it's very useful to get the 2 island bases, otherwise it's even more of a pain

hq capture relies on no snow, any snow will make it impossible
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:17 pm

You may wish to consider changing a tank or two on Kanbei's side (The ones on the roads by the HQ maybe) to Recons. The problem, I think, is that when those four tanks approach at once, there's no way to destroy them all without losing everything but the B-copter which runs out of ammo eventually.

EDIT: The Mechs are also rather slow now that I think about it. Change em to Infantry or Recons maybe?

I also noticed this on Frost Bite:

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I think the Tanks are okay, I can consistently beat the bumrush of four tanks (I'll post a video later).

And thanks for the Frost Bight Heads up. I appear to have missed some corners, as I've done AW1-style inlet ports for all the ports.

Edit: Additional notes for myself:

15:19 x0_000 alright
15:19 x0_000 so for silo storm
15:19 x0_000 kill the non-pipe base for green earth and bm
15:20 x0_000 and make the bottom airpo
15:20 x0_000 by bm I mean yc
15:20 x0_000 herp.
15:20 x0_000 and make the bottom airports that they start with cities or neutral cities
15:21 Xenesis Hrm, okay.
15:21 x0_000 for the player give everything in the death ray zone for now
15:21 x0_000 it's probably overkill

And
15:22 x0_000 random weather
15:22 x0_000 is the most annoying thing ever.
15:22 Xenesis Hah. I enjoyed it when playing as Olaf >_> <_<
15:23 x0_000 it's annoying when olaf is the enemy
15:23 x0_000 it really screws with aerial HQ captures
15:23 Xenesis I'd like to keep the random weather feature, but I might make it deterministic.
15:24 x0_000 it happens ridiculously frequently when the weather COs are in play
15:24 x0_000 although it was pretty funny playing long bridge with Olaf
15:24 Xenesis Hrm, yeah. I'll make it deterministic.
15:25 Xenesis That way if you play Silo Storm with just the enemy Olaf, it'll always snow on Day 10 for example
15:25 x0_000 yeah that's way more reasonable

Also also: Need to fix a bug with Von Bolt when he hits his own units with SCOP.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Yeah, the mechs do nothing except make the map slow to beat at the end.

I just managed to beat everything else in 8 days with Kanbei, though my tanks took some damage. Looks like removing the mechs should make 8 days consistently doable, although the map might be a bit on the easy side that way.

Maybe replace the mechs with a Mid Tank and see how that works out?
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Alright, I'll do a mini-patch tonight.

Also more notes to myself oh god what I am I doing I want to finish this thing:
15:52 x0_000 can you incorporate a no CO option
15:52 Xenesis ...Yeah, that'd be not too difficult.
15:53 x0_000 haha
15:53 Xenesis The problem is making it not die when you access any info screens and whatnot
15:54 Xenesis But No CO powers makes it a helluva lot easier.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Dragon Fogel wrote:Yeah, the mechs do nothing except make the map slow to beat at the end.
I'm not sure if it's just because of my battleship but the mechs actually ACTIVELY RAN AWAY when everything else was killed >:|

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Update:

Unit Scripts:
Talysman

Map Layouts:
Silo Storm

Map Tile Errors:
Crescent Isle

New Feature:
Deterministic Weather
Unlock Sturm, Von Bolt and Caulder

What's Deterministic Weather?
When COs who cause random weather changes are in play (Olaf, Drake), these changes will occur on set days rather than via RNG. For example, a single Olaf causes +10% chance of snow. Previously, this would randomly occur with the RNG. Now it will occur every (100/X) days, where X is the percentage chance of weather change.

A single Olaf in play will cause Snow to fall at the end of Day 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc.

How Do I Unlock Sturm, Caulder or Von Bolt?
If you S-Rank a map, you can use them on that map. Go!

List of things to be done before 1.0 release:
Confirm every map is S-Rankable
Add CO-Specific S-Rank tracking (The game will record which COs you have S-Ranked a map with)
Fix Von Bolt's Self-Paralysis Bug
Fix Caulder's Negative Money Bug
Fix Von Bolt and Caulder's Alignment during SCOP showing cut-off
Fix Von Bolt and Kindle's Name being cut off on the CO Dossier screen
Fix Caulder's Zone application for player-moved units
Fix Kindle's property boost not applying when attacking Pipe Seams
Fix Riverside to use P1 Player Selected CO for High Score rather than Hawke if Hawke finishes the map.
Update Von Bolt to use a Black Hole HQ
Update Von Bolt to have a Unique SCOP Sprite
Update AI's CO Power usage to use it more sensibly (Caulder won't use when he already has a CO Unit, Grit won't use without indirects etc)
Finish Kindle and Von Bolt's music
New Title Screen

List of 'maybes'
Grimm Mode
No CO Mode
Fun Extra Graphical and Musical things

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:19 am

Talysman with MD: 11/298 with Max, lost 1 unit… this has been an absolute nightmare… so many strong Tanks everywhere… I even had to retreat the BC and Arty on D8 because the Mech started capturing my HQ, and there was still the 1HP MD and a 5HP Tank alive… I only had 2 low HP Tanks left… oh god the horror… if it wasn’t for that HQ capturing Mech it would’ve been a lot easier, I’m trying to 300 it now but by doing so the Mech starts capturing 1 day earlier and I get 2 Tanks and the MD alive while I have to go kill the Mech…

daaaaamn… I almost had it… if only the 5HP MD couldn’t OHKO the 6HP APC on Road :S this is the hardest thing I’ve ever tried in my life like seriously

THE MD IS RUNNING AWAY, DAMN YOU. I would’ve gotten a 12/300 here if the MD just kept attacking the shields to stay in Arty range ;_;

oh-em-gee. I got it. 12/300. I have no idea how you guys seemingly routed within 8 turns easily. this was my last day: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6485/immagine21u.jpg

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:07 am

There wasn't a Medium Tank before, just the tanks and 4 mechs instead. Hence, 8 days. The AI did a lot of dumb things with the B-copter on your side.

Buuut....awesome!

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:14 am

I just tried Caulder on that map, but I don’t understand his SCOP… is it not functional yet? it just makes the units flashy but seemingly does nothing else

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:20 am

It turns the first unit on a HQ/Deployment property into a CO Unit. So for Talysman, place a unit on the HQ and use the SCOP to make it into a CO Unit.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:02 am

ok, been trying it and the zone works weirdly, the boosted units are the ones that start the turn inside the zone rather than the ones currently inside the zone, or something like that… I can go out of the zone with a unit and attack boosted, and I can go inside the zone and attack without getting a boost (also the zone isn’t visible)

what are his stats actually?

oh I had a picture of Long Bridge that showed that Cruisers can move on top of the road in certain places… is that supposed to happen?

Under Siege 17/300 with Olaf, pretty easy only took 1 try, just spam BCs and I used a Lander to capture Drake early on, then with the mass of money I could spam Fighters/Bombers to go for Eagle, captured with a Mech I built from Drake’s bases
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 am

Yeah, it isn't meant for player consumption in it's current state (See the bug list a few posts back). The CO Zone itself only updates every time the tiles refresh which is every time a menu is opened in some fashion. The zone isn't visible, just the units it is applied to.

Zoned units are 130/130 and the CO Unit is 150/150.

Edit: Sea units can move across bridges at a movement cost of 2 now.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:05 am

seriously?! fudge I COULD HAVE MADE A MAP TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THAT

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 am

I did say way back when that I would. You even asked me to do it. And I did. :P

Edit: Capslock >_<

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 am

I have terrible memory.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Grimm Mode
I say you replace Adder with Grimm altogether. Nobody uses Adder anyways.

Also, Battle Bridge is glitched. The bottom rows have bad tiles. Can't miss it.

I like deterministic weather, but every TEN days? I say that's not often enough to make much of a difference - most maps are only going to last 15~25 days, sometimes far less. Maybe every 5 days?

Has any one 300'd Sorrow's Bluff yet? I seriously cannot figure it out. Then again I can't figure out Talysman either, and I submitted it >_<' It is pretty cool that we have some stupidly hard maps here, though.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Mark999: I 300’d both Sorrow’s Bluff and Talysman, they are stupidly hard maps and I love them

also, I used Adder for the current best score in Spann Island, 8/300, it required his COP xD

about the weather, honestly I don’t like it deterministic, I liked playing Olaf because you’d never know when he could make it snow, but I seem to be in the minority

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Mark999 wrote:I say you replace Adder with Grimm altogether. Nobody uses Adder anyways.
The ideal way would be able to expand the CO data to work though. That'd be tricky however. There's a ridiculous amount of data references. If I wasn't doing the Caulder/Von Bolt/Kindle thing, I would definitely have replaced one of Nell/Flak/Hachi with him.
Also, Battle Bridge is glitched. The bottom rows have bad tiles. Can't miss it.
Okay.
I like deterministic weather, but every TEN days? I say that's not often enough to make much of a difference - most maps are only going to last 15~25 days, sometimes far less. Maybe every 5 days?
Olaf only has +10% chance of snow, so it's every 10 days. It stacks with more Olafs in play (So Olaf Vs Olaf is +20%, every 5 days). Drake is +15%, which is every 6 days. I can increase it but I think enemy Olaf with more snow than that will be more obnoxious.
ALAKTORN wrote:about the weather, honestly I don’t like it deterministic, I liked playing Olaf because you’d never know when he could make it snow, but I seem to be in the minority
Yeah, I like it random too but I think it's a better approach for this particular situation.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:23 pm

If you're really pro you'll make it random only if the player CO can alter weather :v

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Eeeh, no.

Doable but ultimately pointless.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Okay, time to get this thing finished before 2011 is. :P

This refers to only the current revision of the map and it is all that I know about personally. If you guys have already done some of these and can fill in the blanks, please tell me! Some of the maps may have their time limit altered in a more lenient fashion, regardless.

Maps With Confirmed S-Ranks
Spann Island
Mial's Cape
Iron Knuckle
Long Bridge
Beach Head
Crescent Isle
Island Nation
Barracuda Bay
City of Gold
Waza
Legion Peninsula
Sorrow's Bluff
Whirlpool
Talysman
Fort Isthmus
Frost Bight
Under Siege
Feeling Blue
Marshlands
Unholy Alliance

Maps Without Confirmed S-Ranks
Bank Robbery
Battle Bridge
Bombardier
Old Wounds
Snow Day
Split Mountain
Riverside
Ganglands
Comet Catcher
Silo Storm

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:27 pm

We can cross Beach Head off that list pretty safely. I managed this with Kindle in 14 days as well, so the only COs that might have trouble getting 300 within the time limit are Drake, Grit, and Sami (their copters are weaker).

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Wonderful. :)

Sami at the least has tankish t-copters too :p

I'll watch the video when I have access to youtube, too.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:06 pm

BLAST IT.

I got 300 on Fort Isthmus in 14 days with Eagle. So I went to do it again while recording, except this time Kindle Urban Blighted me on the turn before the capture was finished - delaying me a turn and knocking me down to 298. KINDLE!!! TECHNIQUE SCORE!!! ARGH :evil:

Well, that's another 300-pointer at any rate.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:36 am

“War Room Challenge 2011… Fascinating!” I’ve noticed it only now XD brilliant!

Mial’s Cape 9/289 Grit, 90P 99T, 17 built… this map looks super impossible but luckily capturing the HQ with a TC+Inf+1 support unit (BC) is easy enough, the APC liking to sleep on top of the HQ makes the stupid HQ Cap strategy impossible

AI issue: Sensei used his COP and didn’t attack my capturing Inf with his newly spawned one /// confirmed with 3 of them: http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2850/immagine21p.jpg

edit: 9/300, I thought I’d get it only because of that AI issue, but in fact getting the kills 1 day earlier overcharged Sensei’s COP so he didn’t use it, then this would be legit even if the AI is fixed (unless you consider not using the COP in such situation a bug =P)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Well, I'll see what I can do about the AI. You've got a huuuge time limit for the map regardless.

Anyway, updated the lists :)

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Oh god, Old Wounds. This map.

15 days.

I'm scared.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:11 pm

I just picked a number for that one because I couldn't find the AW1 AC limit. If you can 100-Power/Tech it in a longer time period I might up the limit to that :P

Because like hell I'm going to be able to do it myself ._.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Dragon Fogel wrote:Oh god, Old Wounds. This map.

15 days.

I'm scared.
Don't worry, it's only the hardest map in AW history with AW2 AI and no fog of war, plus you can pick anybody you want!

@Xen: According to this, it's 25 days.

Also, I S-Ranked Island Nation with Max. Should be simple enough to do with the others. Plenty of space to spam infantry for Technique.

Bank Robbery's giving me a headache though. Dang it Sensei!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Okay, if Fogel does it in 25 days or less with full tech and power, I'll make it his time and call it an uh, day :)

And nice. I've also got Battle Bridge apparently confirmed but I can't watch the video until I get home.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:13 am

It's actually even more terrifying without the fog.

I mean, yes, you can see what's coming and can therefore actually prepare for it without starting over, and it's to your advantage because the AI cheats in fog on both GBA games, but on the other hand now you see exactly what you're up against and it's nasty.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 am

Well uh, you could play with sonja? >_<

Actually, as a complete aside: Have people been playing with her? Is the Fog of War driving you mad? :P I know I've gotten some interesting wins on maps with her as the AI is completely oblivious to anything on a forest of course.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 am

Calling it now: Old Wounds is unwinnable.

YOU MADE LIGHTNING DRIVE GRANT AIR UNITS A STUPIDLY HIGH DEFENSE BOOST.

WHY.

Edit: And you know what else? There are no woods in Old Wounds. None at all. Sonja is useless there.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:13 pm

Well, you've still got counter break. That's pretty much a WTF you jerk to air units :)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Patch Update - Usual Link :)

Unit Scripts:
Talysman

Map Layouts:
Old Wounds

Tile Errors:
Battle Bridge
Frost Bight

Map Headers:
Old Wounds

Graphics:
Von Bolt now has his own SCOP Sprite, currently a placeholder.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Patch is uploaded now. Along with some mapfixes (Namely battle bridge)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Update: File at usual link

Music:
Von Bolt's Theme
Kindle's Theme

Music should sound a LOT better and be at a similar volume level to the other CO Themes.

Mark999

Post by Mark999 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:10 am

The new music sounds great now.

Unfortunately, the only maps left to S-Rank are the fiendishly hard ones. :( It's really Tech that's getting me most of the time, because I almost never have the time or money to spam enough units to guarantee 100 points. Ouch.