Let's make an AW4 Advance Campaign!

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Let's make an AW4 Advance Campaign!

Post by Xenesis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Born from the WWN IRC (like so many other incredibly silly ideas).

The feature most people thought was lacking in AW4 was the notably absent 'hard' or 'advance' campaign.

Let's rectify that!

The Trial Maps can be done too!

Rules Setup:
-AW1 Style scoring (Max Power and Technique, score based on Speed)
-COs are available from C1
-AIs can optionally either ignore or destroy meteorites

Limitations:
-The Beast and Davis need stats.
-Map scripting will be mostly the same. I can probably move the locations of things like the exit tile in maps like C15: Icy Retreat, but the overall scripts are the same. I can create new unit deployment scripts. Trial maps can(should?) probably be completely replaced.

Making and Submitting a Map:
-Claim it in this topic!
-Use the map tools to make the map
-Send it in (And submit the unit list if you need to as well).

Maps Available:

Campaign
C1 - Days of Ruin
C2 - A Single Life
C3 - Freehaven
C4 - Moving On
C5 - New Allies
C6 - Fear Experiment
C7 - A Kind of Home
C8 - A New Threat
C9 - The Beast
C10 - Almost Home
C11 - A Storm Brews
C12 - History of Hate
C13 - Greyfield Strikes
C14 - A Hero's Farewell
C15 - Icy Retreat
C16 - Hope Rising
C17 - The Creeper
C18 - Panic in the Ranks
C19 - Salvation
C20 - Waylon Flies Again
C21 - Lin's Gambit
C22 - The Great Owl
C23 - Sacrificial Lamb
C24 - Crash Landing
C25 - Lab Rats
C26 - Sunrise

Trial - This is optional if people want to make oddball or completely new maps to include
T1 - Extreme Edge
T2 - Shade Coast
T3 - Feline Basin
T4 - Metro Island
T5 - Eerie Lake
T6 - Clear Island
T7 - Tatter River
T8 - D-Island
T9 - Hourglass
T10 - Blade Isles
T11 - Star Islands
T12 - Intricate Map
T13 - V for Victory!
T14 - Fragment Isles
T15 - Jay Islands
T16 - Pentagram
T17 - Coast Assault
T18 - Cat Island
T19 - Ground Clash
T20 - Slime Cove
T21 - Duo Falls
T22 - Peril Maze
T23 - Metro Map
T24 - Wedding Ring
T25 - Land's End
T26 - Bounty River
T27 - Time Map
T28 - Plasma Bubble
T29 - Triangle Lake
T30 - Destiny Ocean
T31 - Comb Map
T32 - Resistance
T33 - Missile
T34 - Web River
T35 - Centre River
T36 - Mountain Pass
T37 - Fire & Water
T38 - Whirl Peaks
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Sven

Re: Let's make an AW4 Advance Campaign!

Post by Sven » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:10 pm

what is advance wars?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Hurr. ¬_¬
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Beast just will be OFFENSE for evrything, 3 stars might fit. No idea about power yet though.

Also, Salvation needs indirects>_>

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:45 am

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Guest wrote:there already is an aw4 ac: http://www.advancewarsnet.com/designmap ... aniac&pg=3
Yeah, Bon Volt did link it to me on AWN.

It's not quite what I'm going for though as it's more of an AW2/AWDS hard campaign as opposed to the AW1 Advance Campaign.

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:30 pm

The biggest concern I have with going "Advance" with this campaign rather than "Hard" is that the only reason half the AW1 AC levels were even possible was because the AI was dumber than a sack of Flaks. Unless you're planning on making the DoR AI equally stupid, I don't see this working out as well as you might hope.

That, and I'm just not a fan of the "suicide speed" thing. But hey, it's your topic so it's your call. I'm just giving my input.

x0something

Post by x0something » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 am

Mission 1: Replace enemy units with War Tanks. Don't do a thing with player units.

>:D

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am

Bon Volt: Where is the rest of the campaign?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:21 am

(Sorry for the double post) And where is Hope Rising and The Creeper?

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:33 am

http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/in ... entry21223

Links to all the missions are in my post here. I never got around to uploading everything to the DM.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:08 am

On C10, the yellow city is what?

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Neutral.

AFAIK you're the first person to catch that after all these years... including me.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:02 pm

I poked around AWN, and read a post where some AWNer said that WWN's nearly as dead as AWN. Depressed.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 am

Bon Volt: Can you provide a walkthrough for your campaign?

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:21 am

Unfortunately, no. It's been ages since I played any of the maps, and half those playthroughs were only enough to say "I can't win but it'd definitely be possible if I were better at this."

Slazzy

Post by Slazzy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:47 am

Bon Volt: Can you upload your possible (not impossible, as some of them were) AWDS and AW2 remakes? I saw you were talking about them on Advance Wars Net. Can't remember where. And what about maps without units? Can you handle that?

Slazzy

Post by Slazzy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 am

(sorry for double post) where are the super tough maps from an user named delta-something?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 am

is it just me or did this thread get hijacked

like, twice
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am

Especially since it's about a 2009 hack, and we're talking about a new one..

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 pm

*map pack

Slazzy

Post by Slazzy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:47 am

What do you mean "map pack"?

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:10 am

can we just ban slazzy from here and the irc already

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 am

AW1 AC Scoring is done, did it on the tram this morning :P

Suppose that's the thing - should I fix the scores at 100 or 150? I'm thinking 100....

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Considering how fixing the scores at 150 would result in a minimum of 300/450 per map, thus no chance of ever scoring less than an S rank, I say cap them at 100.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:27 pm

That's quite adjustable too...

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:11 am

If you're going to adjust the ranking requirements, it's going to start looking silly when someone goes "Hey I got 324 on this why do I have a B?" or something along those lines. Part of the fun of AW1 AC was that the scoring system didn't do anything different besides giving you perfect Power and Tech for free, but that approach wouldn't quite work with DoR's system...

I say cap it at 100 each and leave the actual ranking parameters the same, plus the perfect Power and Tech of AW1 AC. That way the lowest possible score is 200 (B/C, comparable to C/E) and only a perfect score gives you an S-rank, something you seem to like considering how that's how you set up that AW2 War Room hack a while ago.

In terms of actual map design, however, I think we need to stick with a "Hard" campaign rather than "Advance," for reasons already mentioned.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:56 am

Reading the opening post I'm pretty sure the terms are interchangable actually.

Slazzy

Post by Slazzy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 am

Bonesy: Chut up!
Bon Volt: Would you answer my question?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 am

Bon Volt wrote:I say cap it at 100 each and leave the actual ranking parameters the same, plus the perfect Power and Tech of AW1 AC. That way the lowest possible score is 200 (B/C, comparable to C/E) and only a perfect score gives you an S-rank, something you seem to like considering how that's how you set up that AW2 War Room hack a while ago.
Well, sorta. You'll have a score range of 200 to 350. The only thing I don't like about that setup is that it won't let you get the 'perfect' score of 450, I do see what you mean though. I suppose I could always uncap it :P

Also, I'm testing a variant of the Beast, which is basically a Will redux...ish. He's a raider and jerk so I put together these stats at the current stage:

The Beast
COZ: 1-2
Atk: **
Heal: 1
Vis: 1

It'll be pretty mean, but no CO Power to speak of.

Davis I haven't done yet, but I was thinking of something like this considering that he's such a coward and all. He's never a baddie, but it would be nice for flavour.

Davis
COZ: 2
Def: *
Mov: 1

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 am

It'd be fun indeed if you could make it that you fail the mission if Davis dies. You should make him weak regardless, so it'd become a hell of a pain to keep his CO unit alive. It'd be a nice challenge.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 am

Xenesis wrote:
Bon Volt wrote:I say cap it at 100 each and leave the actual ranking parameters the same, plus the perfect Power and Tech of AW1 AC. That way the lowest possible score is 200 (B/C, comparable to C/E) and only a perfect score gives you an S-rank, something you seem to like considering how that's how you set up that AW2 War Room hack a while ago.
Well, sorta. You'll have a score range of 200 to 350. The only thing I don't like about that setup is that it won't let you get the 'perfect' score of 450, I do see what you mean though. I suppose I could always uncap it :P

Also, I'm testing a variant of the Beast, which is basically a Will redux...ish. He's a raider and jerk so I put together these stats at the current stage:

The Beast
COZ: 1-2
Atk: **
Heal: 1
Vis: 1

It'll be pretty mean, but no CO Power to speak of.

Davis I haven't done yet, but I was thinking of something like this considering that he's such a coward and all. He's never a baddie, but it would be nice for flavour.

Davis
COZ: 2
Def: *
Mov: 1
1. I meant to cap all 3 of them at 100 each, so the scores would go 200-300, with 300 being the S-rank. Sorry for not being more specific :?

2. For Beast, is that +10% attack, +1 vision, and 1 healing every turn for units in his zone? How would the vision work? Would they gain the extra vision only while in his zone or would they keep it for the turn if they started the turn in his zone? What if he moves his CO unit into a different batch of units? Would they pick up the extra vision immediately and the inital batch lose the boost? What about units he passes while moving? Do they get a temporary boost too?

We could use more specifics on that +vision detail. Everything else looks fine for an early game bad guy. Give him a zone of 2 and a CO Power that bumps his attack to 150% for the turn.

3. For Davis, is that +1 movement and +5% defense? Why would a coward have increased defense? I'd say for his CO unit, cut the defense by 10% and increase movement by 1, and zone units gain +1 movement with a zone of 1, plus normal zone boosts. CO Power is +2 movement (counting how the zone covers the whole map during the CO power, this winds up as a total of +3 movement) for the turn.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:28 am

1. Ah. That seems a bit odd, though.

2. Same as the standard in-game notation. Each * is +10% to the stat, plus the standard +10/10 zone boost.

The vision would only apply to any units that start their turn in his zone - it works the same way for every other zone boost. Any boosts to zone apply instantly the second you're in the CO Zone, except for heals which are always at the start of the turn. You can move the Beast next to an unused recon and it will get the vision boost until it finishes its next action. Etc.

No CO Powers, the game lacks graphics for them and without them there's a hard lockup as the filesystem tries to load a file that doesn't exist. Same reason why Forsythe wouldn't get a CO Power.

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18 am

1. How would it be odd? AW2 and AWDS both used the 300-point system...

2. Thanks for the clarification.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 am

1. It'd be odd because this is AW4, that's all.

Bon Volt

Post by Bon Volt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:48 am

Meh.

Back to map design. I went and looked back over all the maps I made and realized that a lot of them are great but a lot of them are terrible and really need someone else to replace them. The good ones in particular were 1, 9, 10, 14, and 20. Bad ones included 11, 24, and I think 8 and 17 could use some work as well.

As far as Trial Maps go, that's where I think it'd be best to open up the CO selection (minus Caulder for obvious reasons), score it with the normal X/450 system, and replace the maps with cool maps from cool designers. Maybe some of that Situation Room stuff that Saru did back in the day?

Slazzy

Post by Slazzy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:19 am

is it just me or did this thread get hijacked

how?

It's not quite what I'm going for though as it's more of an AW2/AWDS hard campaign as opposed to the AW1 Advance Campaign.

how?
--[Olaf]--

Description: What do you get if Santa Claus dyes his beard and changes
his clothes? OK, enough jokes,