Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

User avatar
JSRulz

Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello AW and CW followers and fans,

"The wait is over… the time is now."

Image
VERSION 0.3.5 OPEN BETA

Image
Image

Welcome to Custom Wars Tactics!!!

Hello. My name is JakeSamiRulz, the current lead of the Custom Wars Tactics initiative. I am here on behalf of my talented team and supporting individuals to present you with the first ever engine dedicated to modernizing AW, Custom Wars Tactics. This is not your typical common AW clone. Everything in CW:T was built from the ground up, using the latest tools and technologies. We are determined to make this the final time that anyone has to go looking for a proper AW experience.

Custom Wars Tactics Home Page
http://ctomni231.github.io/cwtactics/
Check out the link above to try the game using the "Play CW:T" in the left menu.

Features of 0.3.5 Open Beta
  • Play anywhere with a browser: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS
  • Control Support: Keyboard, Mouse, Game-pad (Chrome), Touch Gestures
  • Maps Available:Spann Island (Featured), Stand-Off, & Minus-Hills
  • AI: Play against AI and even pit AI against each other
  • Modernized Look & Feel: Custom UI and themes
  • Basic AW Game Play: Ability to capture, attack, move, and create units.
Looking to the Future

This is only the beginning. The team at Custom Wars Tactics isn’t focused on making a game. We are focused on designing an experience. To make sure that this program has longevity over the course of many years, we also have a lot more features currently in the works.
  • A desktop version dedicated to take advantage of PC features
  • Emulation for AW1, AW2, AWDS & AWDC/DoR via modifications
  • A fully realized Network mode with Lobby
  • Ability to alter the game object data (Units, Terrain, Properties & Inventions)
  • Ability to create and edit CO’s, maps, & campaigns
Bringing Power to the Users

It doesn’t have to end with just testing the game, though. I suggest that any individual that feels they have something to contribute to make this project better to please step forward. We have set up a few ways to do this…

Custom Wars Tactics Forums
http://forums.customwars.com/

Custom Wars Tactics Bug Report Site
http://battle.customwars.com/report/index.php

My goal for this project is to turn this into a community effort. I am willing to take any support I can take, even if it as simple as just filing in a bug report. In order for CW:T to turn into the best that it can be, I need a good support net to help take it there. There is no support net better than a community that hasn’t had a core game release for over 5 years. Beyond bug reports and feature requests, we are also looking for…
  • Talented artists
  • Map sprite artists
  • Musicians
If any of you guys have any interest in helping out, I suggest that you contact me as soon as possible. (Information can be found on our website.)

About the Team

I believe that all great games have a powerful support group. This game engine is no different. Here is a little bit of information about the team that made this possible.
  • JSRulz (Lead): A Java programmer for 10+ years, with experience in art & music.
  • BlackCat (Co-Lead): A JavaScript coder responsible for logic, AI, & the website.
  • CesarRamsan (Network): A Perl Programmer who works our servers & advanced AI.
  • MaraSargon (Forum): Responsible for music, writing manuals, and forum upkeep.
  • Xenesis (Founder): Founder and Host for all forums and servers for CW.
I have also received countless amounts of support from Urusan, Gipface, UltraStorm, BlameGame, Howdy_McGee, Ace.Stef, Walker, MarinePower, and countless others. I can't thank these individuals enough for their support.

Custom Wars Tactics Credits
https://github.com/ctomni231/cwtactics/ ... redits.txt

About the Game

Custom Wars Tactics is an open source effort dedicated toward making sure all information is available to anyone interested. We built this engine to emulate the games of AW as well as to test the new emerging technologies of JavaScript, HTML 5, and Java. We are not affiliated with Nintendo or Intelligent Systems.

Final Thoughts

I really do hope that you get the chance to enjoy what we have produced so far. It is your continued support for the games that has given my entire team the ability to create something as awesome as this. At the same time, I still would like your full support as we move on to the future of CWT.

Thanks for your continued support! Now have fun and enjoy the game!!!

JakeSamiRulz (ctomni231)
Custom Wars Tactics Lead Representative
Advance Wars Fan since 2001

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:43 am

I applaud the CWT team for their commendable efforts thus far, because this project looks very promising.

At the moment, I don't think CWT is anywhere near a finished state. It's probably going to take another year to do that. Basically, the ultimate goal of CWT is to have something as easily accessible as Pokemon Showdown, which I still believe is the gold standard of a portable PvP game conversion to an Internet client.

There are a number of issues I have found thus far, but as I don't want to overwhelm the team with a laundry list of complaints, I'll only address my largest point of contention: the interface.

The AW4 interface, minus the "menu cancel" bug (which JSR is aware of) is an ideal stylus control scheme. This control scheme should be approximately the same on all versions of the client, PC and mobile, only with minor interface changes to accommodate the smaller screen size. I have played AW4 on the DS, and I have played AW4 on the PC via emulation. Let me tell you what changes:

PC: Since it's more difficult to use swipe commands with the mouse, I use the mouse to click and do actions, but I also use the keyboard to scroll the map. I also have L hotkeyed because the "next free unit" action isn't repeatable on the stylus.

Mobile: Plays just like AW4, except there should be an on-screen button for "next free unit". Swiping to scroll the map is fast and easy.

People don't want to re-learn a control scheme as they switch devices. Pokemon Showdown's interface is exactly the same on PC or mobile. The CWT team believes that there should be different control schemes for PC and mobile. I disagree. The CWT team needs to play AW3 and AW4 on an emulator, realize that the DS control scheme works for the PC, and that one unified control scheme is the way to go. All the PC version would enable is the keyboard, which would act as a "d-pad".

Food for thought: Why are d-pads and control sticks located on the left side of a controller, despite the majority of the population being right-handed? Because Nintendo put the d-pad on the left side first, and everyone copied them. Putting a main control stick on the right side now would be suicidal because people don't want to re-learn control schemes. Also, look at QWERTY. There are better keyboard layouts, but QWERTY reigns supreme because it's the standard.

The AW4 control scheme introduces intuitive features such as selecting an indirect fire unit, then immediately selecting an enemy unit to go directly to the damage box. But the best part is that you don't even need to use these features; you can control AW4 exactly the same way as AW1, AW2, or AW3. You could use the AW4 method of firing with an indirect, or you could use the old method of selecting your unit twice, select fire on the action menu, and then scroll through the possible targets. And that's why it worked.

A secondary, less severe issue is that the action menu isn't aligned with stylus presses, and there are extra actions required to do menial commands such as purchasing units and moving. But those can be fixed later.

User avatar
Narts
Rank: sexually identify as an assault rifle

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Narts » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:41 am

GipFace wrote: Food for thought: Why are d-pads and control sticks located on the left side of a controller, despite the majority of the population being right-handed? Because Nintendo put the d-pad on the left side first, and everyone copied them.
I believe arcade machines had joysticks on the left side more or less as a standard before Nintendo made d-pads.

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:21 am

Right. I'll blame Taito for a left-side Space Invaders then.

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:38 am

Hey all,

Any opinions like the ones above will go a long way into making this game a lot better. For the game itself, I am pretty aware that at this state, it is going to take a while to reach semi-perfection. However, design decisions such as the control scheme, network, and user menu interface (GUI) improvements are actually features better advised by the users. Since CWT is not being ran by a major company or anything, why not allow some advice from the people to seep through. I want you users to get some say for what you'll be interacting with the most.

Control Scheme

To be honest, I do believe that AW4's control scheme is superior to all the AW's, game play and menu selection wise. I mean, it allows you to do everything you can do in AW... a bit faster. It is very fast, simple, and actually makes the game a lot easier with less menu selections.

I think my fear was that allowing an infinite game zoom ratio would weaken that system a bit, because one of the major issues with tablet is the lack of accuracy when tapping precise locations. Having auto-attack and auto-select works very well for mouse and stylus, but add someones finger and that wide tap radius creates a lot of mistakes. Therefore, this is why I was trying to create a different control scheme for each device.

However, thinking back on it, I'm beginning to believe that this could be an error on my part. Playing with a finger obviously gives the most limitations, so I should probably work from the ground up and make one straight control scheme for the game, only with light influence from the previous games. So, all games would technically follow the AW4 control scheme, and the game play itself would be from its respective games. Why ignore the progress of the menu systems, just for nostalgia purposes. :geshrug:

The next features...

I have had a lot of opinions on what should be next on the list to work on. However, the three that rang the loudest in order of severity was...

1) Network: The ability to play against people online (in this case, it'll span all devices too).
2) Commanding Officers: Get the CO stats into the game (Now would be a good time to start collecting that artwork)
3) Damage formula: At the current moment, broken... but will be fixed with the correct formula

Network

I did a lot of talking about Networking to various people, but BlameGame and Gipface gave me the most insight when it came to online gaming for AW. I want to thank those individuals now for their efforts. (I'll also try to make this short... another wall, geez.)

CW is working on asynchronous play. (For all those not tech- savvy... That just means, like how AWBW plays currently. You don't have to keep an online connection while you play the game.) Using a replay system (we are currently working on), we are planning to keep the integrity of seeing enemy turns online, even with users ability to log out. It is actually a very difficult system to create, but once finished, it'll allow people to play AW like on the DS, with the flexibility of AWBW. Pretty cool.

There are some flaws with networking...

The general consensus I got when talking about network is: Playing one AW game for more than 3 months, is just plain stupid. This spans across all AW forums, including AWBW. Apparently, AW lacks the proper system to hold and capture players for a long period of time without them either getting bored, or rage-quitting before a game is finished. I mean, we can easily point to the game mechanics, but I think the reasons lie a bit more within the presentation than the game itself. Let me show you a bit of non-AW reasons...
  • Boot Interval - Length of time to take a turn lasted weeks: These contribute to very delayed games
  • The ability to ask for vacation time: Even longer games...
  • Difficulty to get into the game: Lack of easy to use game lobby
  • Players starting a bunch of games: On the first turn and not finishing them
  • No differentiation between competitive and casual play
There was two solutions that came from my talks, and both talks with Gipface and BlameGame are actually very good. There were many suggestions, but these are the ones that shined through the most...
  • For live play: An in-game timer for quick session with pre-set times per turn (30, 60, 90, 120 seconds) [5 minutes (max) per turn].
  • For asynchronous play: Boot interval maximum (3 days) to finish a turn, or lose the game.
  • Giving enemy players the option to allow vacation time: If too long, they can have player lose the game.
  • Game lobby with win lose stats for each game separately: Possibly for each CO as well, favorite unit, CO, map, etc.
  • Generate ladders based on elo and/or glicko for rating algorithms.
  • Spectator mode: Allow spectators to look at and host games.
The network system has to be reworked to allow users to find people easier and get into the game faster. I'm going to try and keep the same design philosophy as I did for the menus: You shouldn't take more than 5 screens to get into any game. I am hoping to reduce that number, but that is the general idea that I'm holding to.

Final Thoughts

It is in the works, and trust me, I really want to hear your opinions and get some healthy discussion about these topics. You may speak about it here, but if it becomes cluttered, I will start moving these topics into the mailing list or the CW forum. Your feedback is essential for us to make this game work correctly. Remember, I can't really see what you guys are thinking unless you type it out. So, don't stay silent if you feel something needs a change. Speak up, and you may be pleasantly surprised. I will read through and listen to all ideas presented, that is my decree for asking this from you :).

Thanks and happy holidays!

JakeSamiRulz
CW:T Team Lead

User avatar
Narts
Rank: sexually identify as an assault rifle

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Narts » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:51 am

Asynchronous play + replays works pretty nicely in Battle Worlds Kronos, but it can't be the only mode of multiplayer, or at the very least, it's not ideal.

I would heavily lobby for a real-time synchronous play mode with minutes/seconds based turn clock like in AW4, if it's at all feasible.

I give you props for the game playing neatly in a browser. Couldn't get it to work on iPad. It complained something about cookie storage or whatever and refused to load. I couldn't find the settings to increase the storage.

User avatar
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Master of Fiction
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Linkman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 am

Congratulations. This looks like a lot of good work.

Gip and Craig at CW already said most of my gripes. I applaud your effort, keep it going.

I take it this will be open source? It will be fun tinkering around with the code.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

User avatar
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Destroyer of Spambots

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:42 am

Tried it out last night, I did a run of Spann Island and the map didn't end when I routed the enemy. It did end when I captured the HQ, though.

I was playing in fog, but I checked every accessible square after what I thought to be a rout and didn't see anything.

Is this just a matter of victory-by-rout not being implemented yet, or is it supposed to be in there and I stumbled on some way to not trigger it?
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:02 am

My issue with asynchronous (correspondence) gameplay implementation is that all async games must be unrated. This game isn't popular enough for more than 2 ladders: one for AW3 and one for AW4. Both of them will be based on live games. Live gameplay is much different than a correspondence game.

For live play, I think :20 + :05/unit plus 3 time tokens (use one to get an additional :05/unit) is the best timing system for 1v1 games. However, in order to recapture the AW audience, emphasis must be made on casual team play. The game must allow 2v2 up to 8 players for it to gain mass appeal. Here are my proposed rules for team play:

- :10 + :04/unit. Time is shorter because there are many more players and you want to minimize waiting. This almost borders on blitz play, but in an 8-player game, this is a necessity.
- If any HQ of a team is captured, the whole team loses
- Funds/property transfer is iffy. What I've seen in Team Tower Defense games is that the best strategy ends up having all players pool to 1 player, so that 1 player can tech to the best units. In AW, the best strategy would be to have one player on the team have almost all the funds, while the other 1-3 players on the team build mechs each day just to keep the unit count up. This is why I'm against any sort of funds/property transfer feature in the game.
- The most ambitious suggestion: perhaps allow one simultaneous turn for each team. The amount of coding trickery required for this might be massive, but this would be oh so awesome, and then you wouldn't have to deal with short turns per player.

I believe both ELO and Glicko rating systems are flawed. The problem with ELO is that it's a zero-sum ladder. The AWN ladder used ELO, and the average rating of all players was always 1000. That perpetuated a pyramid where the players at the top have all the points, and more than two-thirds of the players were below 1000. ELO doesn't take experience into account, because there is no ladder inflation. And that's a bad thing.

Glicko... Pokemon Showdown uses this and the implementation is awful, because you can lose points for winning! Yes that's right, if your opponents somehow stumble later on, your rating is affected, too!

Image

Again, all of this is irrelevant until the interface and mechanics are finalized. Specific pvp planning should be one of the last things on the to-do list.

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Okay. So, live mode is the ticket. At least competitive play has an outlet now. I see that the split should be "live play (synchronous)" for competitive, and "asynchronous play" for casual. This is a stretch as it is going to strangle people who can't sit down and play a game for more than an hour. I mean, what are we saying... no time for AW, GTFO.

I mean, I suppose from a competitive standpoint it makes sense. However, if I had the ability to transfer this from location to location, I have to actually think that competitive people won't always be playing this at home sitting down. It has the chance to be on the go in the car, on bad connections, middle of business meetings, etc. Opening up the flood gates means this game can literally be played anywhere. By that notion, you're right, it is a detail that is better left in the "pause" position. So let's talk about your other issues instead...

@Narts
There is a browser error that came from Safari 7 that is causing this to occur. I don't know how much you know about this stuff, but this is the error report.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F% ... LX-KoPCSKw

This is not typical and a major bug... it broke a lot of online web pages that are using the Database feature and it should be fixed in a minor update, though we don't know when that will be. Apple Safari 7 is the only browser with that error :).

@Linkman
Actually, why wait when you can tinker with the code now. If you are familiar with Github, you can actually fork and make changes to the code there.
https://github.com/ctomni231/cwtactics

Open-source means that anyone can look at what we do as we are doing it. It also allows you to tinker, which I am all for. Unlike other projects, I put a very high focus on documentation of how we do everything. There is a lot more comments, and our wiki section has a lot of information. For anyone into development, this project has a lot of detail under the hood. I'll gladly accept anyone who is looking to improve the project.

@Dragon Fogel
Yeah, victory-by-rout isn't implemented. I'll put that into the issue reports when I get the chance.

@Gipface
If ELO and Glicko are flawed, then alternatives will have to be explored. Since it isn't important now, however, I'll be fishing for more solutions from various sources. In the meantime, though, I never considered team play. You mentioned up to 8 players, but what I can't figure out is...
  • If you mean "DS" style: Each team plays on a separate map and you are allowed to transfer units from top to bottom
  • Or normal style: Each team plays on the same map and takes simultaneous turns.
It'll be interesting to see exactly how much of this is possible, as team games might mess up the flow of the engine. I dunno, it is an interesting idea. I'll put up a note and actually see if this is possible (but realize that this will be way in the future). Currently, I am just focusing on 1v1 and 2v2 play probably on a team map. The way the engine stores images currently will break the engine if we concentrate on having more than 4 players.

Closing

Possible and realistic is two different things, as we have to keep pushing technology to keep this game running on this many platforms. It is really a tight rope walk. As of now, we are working on getting a good zoom & recolor plan to get these images generated on the fly. It'll allow... a lot more things to be possible in this engine. As it stands, I want the focus to remain on getting all the main features done first before considering anything else.

However, talking about it always works, because we can "leave space" in the engine for crazy ideas like this. Currently though, the big issue with synched turns would be synched CO powers. But I wanted to keep it short so I'll leave it at that :)...

JSR

User avatar
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Master of Fiction
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Linkman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:13 am

JSRulz wrote:@Linkman
Actually, why wait when you can tinker with the code now. If you are familiar with Github, you can actually fork and make changes to the code there.
https://github.com/ctomni231/cwtactics

Open-source means that anyone can look at what we do as we are doing it. It also allows you to tinker, which I am all for. Unlike other projects, I put a very high focus on documentation of how we do everything. There is a lot more comments, and our wiki section has a lot of information. For anyone into development, this project has a lot of detail under the hood. I'll gladly accept anyone who is looking to improve the project.
Will genuinely take a look. It's been a while since I've touched java but I've spent the last couple of months between visual basic and C#, so I can't be that rusty.

EDIT: you weren't lying about it being well-documented. Kudos!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:46 am

Adapting to stubby fingers is easy, and you mentioned it yourself. Just have variable zoom control with the pinch gesture, something that the DS couldn't do. In AW4, I found the zoom button to be rather pointless.

If anyone is serious about playing AW on their smartphone, then they'll buy a cheapo stylus. I bought a stylus to play The World Ends With You on the iPad, and it worked out fine:

[youtube]NUlPCrPmE_8[/youtube]

I'm holding off playing more CWT until the fundamentals are fixed and network play is online. By the way, for the purposes of testing and debugging, there should be cheat codes and a map with all the units, or a map editor that allows me to do so. This is how I made the AW4 damage chart in a single day. I'd like an infinite funds cheat and a "drain all primary ammo" cheat (which would make it very easy to test secondary fire matchups). Also possibly a debug box showing damage calculations, etc.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by HPD » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Why can't multi-day games be competitive? I honestly don't see much of a difference between real-time and multi-day play, save for the fact that real-time is more prone to players making errors more often due to time constraints.

Or maybe I'm just too used to competitive Warlight where the differences are quite minimal between the two forms of play.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56 pm

Every board game played at a high level uses a timer, such as Chess and Scrabble. Realtime games such as Starcraft are played at the highest speed. If you want AW to get more people, you need to make the average game last under an hour. Right now, 3+ weeks for an AWBW game is silly, turning off all but the most hardcore. Would high-level Scrabble be interesting if players could go away from the board for a day after each move and consult? Of course not.

You can still play correspondence, but the number of people who will willingly play it are much lower.

User avatar
Kireato

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Kireato » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:33 am

JSRulz wrote:
  • For live play: An in-game timer for quick session with pre-set times per turn (30, 60, 90, 120 seconds) [5 minutes (max) per turn].
  • For asynchronous play: Boot interval maximum (3 days) to finish a turn, or lose the game.
Are there technical reasons which require distinguishing live from asynchronous play?

Playing with a timer is a very different experience from without. But having a timer is merely an additional rule to a game which has many, some being optional (such as fog of war) with any number of choices (map selection). The choice of having a timer is independent from the choice of playing a game in a single or in multiple sessions.

Let's see how a single session with timer works out:
Player takes his turn while Opponent spectates at the same time. (it is live play)
Each turn has a time limit.
Once Player's turn has ended, he becomes a spectator while Opponent plays. (it is live play)
And so on.

Due to some circumstance, Player has to leave:
Ideally he has left at the end of his own turn, but he may leave at any time during Opponent's turn. (If Player had left during his own turn, while the timer was running, his turn would end while he was offline.)
At a later date, Player comes online. Thanks to the replay system he can watch Opponent's turn as it happened (where Player left it, or from the beginning of Opponent's turn), getting a refresher, and then play his own turn, under the time limit.
If Opponent had joined the game with Player when Player returned, then it is live play again, after a break. This is a situation in which the game is live play but not continuously.
If Opponent wasn't online when Player returned, then the game has gone from live to asynchronous.

And what is asynchronous play if not a game with multiple sessions in which only one of the players is ever online at the same time?

Here's how it would play out:
Player and opponent have decided to play a game.
Opponent is not online, but Player decides to start the game.
Player plays his turn according to the rules (if there is a timer, under the time limit).
Opponent comes online and sees that he has a turn to play in his game with Player.
Player is not online, but Opponent decides to take his turn.
Opponent is shown the replay of Player's turn as it happened.
Opponent plays his turn according to the rules (if there is a timer, under the time limit).
And so on.

Under this kind of flexible system, a game can be played in any number of session you want with live or asynchronous play (and the timer is merely an optional rule).

P.S. Since playing under a timer changes the metagame (A timer variable per unit count might see time management strategies basing on sparing some funds on increasing the unit count with cheap units you won't be sparing any time on, or retreating seriously damaged units and letting them sit out. A fixed per turn timer with a very reduced time might see time management strategies based on controlling a reduced number of units by teching more aggressively.), having flexible timer options (fixed per turn, variable per unit count, progressive with turn number, etc) could be useful for testing (although with a reduced user base, it might just be a hindrance).
Image
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Good stuff ladies and gentlemen...

This month and the following months after, we will be working on the bugs and features. I expect that most of the bugs will be handled in a smaller sub- release for 0.3.6. The features described including the network will be tackled before 0.4. If you want something official then check this out...

http://cwtactics.blogspot.de/2014/01/op ... -ugly.html

You can see pretty much the topics we'll be looking into the most while working on this. Keep in mind that I am still actively looking at all your responses.

@Kireato: I don't think there is a difference system wise, just a difference of whether asynchronous play should be tracked competitively or not.

In my view, there is really not enough evidence on either side to say why "live" is superior to "asynchronous". When we are talking about players from different time zones having the ability to play each other, denying them the option to play competitively is just further putting AW into the "niche" category. I am sure this discussion will rise again further in development, so there is probably no reason for me to go too much into depth now.

If anyone has anything else to add please do. Otherwise, just be patient until the next update arrives. (I'll be sure to warn you of its coming :arrr: )

JSRulz
CWT Team Lead

User avatar
monkymeet
Rank: Bitch
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by monkymeet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 am

What is transfer and transfer funds supposed to do? It kinda crashed everything...
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

User avatar
x0_000
Rank: Clothes shopping is NP-Complete.
Location: a thing

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by x0_000 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Are we supposed to be able to see when the other player captures a property in FOW? I'm also getting a system is not supported message when I start it up and a game fault(?) when a silo is launched.

Also, in Firefox the menu is always outside the map (or the center of the browser?), it should dynamically be next to the spot that was clicked, otherwise for the mouse it's tedious going back and forth between the map and the menu.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

User avatar
monkymeet
Rank: Bitch
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by monkymeet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:17 am

That's also happening in Chrome. Might just be how it is at the moment.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:52 am

Yes, this is how Open Beta 0.3.5 is at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll respond to each of your concerns a bit more in depth.
monkymeet wrote:What is transfer and transfer funds supposed to do? It kinda crashed everything...
The transfer and transfer funds errors have been already documented and will be fixed when 0.3.6 is released. Thank you for logging those errors in, I appreciate it. :)
x0_000 wrote:Are we supposed to be able to see when the other player captures a property in FOW? I'm also getting a system is not supported message when I start it up and a game fault(?) when a silo is launched.
For player vs. player, you are supposed to see when another player captures the building, it acts like a 2-player versus game on one game. If you are facing the AI then you shouldn't be able to see the captures.

The "system not supported" error is unavoidable. We allowed game pads in Chrome and the error triggers in Firefox because there is no game pad support for it. I know most will probably ignore it and play the game anyway, however we'll probably find a new way to show that in the future.

I guess the silo error slipped through the cracks of the testers. The Firefox Silo error is new, so thank you for finding it so I can get it logged in.
x0_000 wrote:Also, in Firefox the menu is always outside the map (or the center of the browser?), it should dynamically be next to the spot that was clicked, otherwise for the mouse it's tedious going back and forth between the map and the menu.
The menu will be like that because it was optimized for tablet and phone use. I apologize for that inconvenience. It is on the list of things to fix, but very low on the priority list as there are more pressing things at the moment we are looking at. There is a good chance it will be fixed sometime during the process.

Keep an eye on the CW forums if you want a closer look on what we are doing in terms of the game itself.
http://forums.customwars.com/

Other than that, I'll be watching and answering any more concerns that pop up. Thanks for play testing! :ph43r:

BlackCat

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by BlackCat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:55 pm

Hi Community! :D

JSRulz has always the top level view of the project, but it seems some misunderstandings growing here and here. Maybe it's a good idea to explain some parts from the technical view. Of course, only if you want. 8)

@Asynchron Network
At first, the most thing I read here is asynchron play. The important step is to speak about technical and logical asynchron play. The most of you talking about asynchron play in a logical manner by playing games over days. Mostly when we ( the CWT team ) talks about an asynchon play, then we mean it by the technical design. At all you know, CW:T is a HTML5 project and this means we're using JavaScript technologies. That's why our network mode uses a asynchron XML communication with the server. This means the network mode will be asynchron, but this does not mean the game itself will be played in an asynchron manner. Of course this way opens the logical asynchron play ( over whole days ) too, because the internal design ( asychron XML communication ) is perfectly designed for that.

At the moment JSRulez and me discussed about a network mode which:
- works asynchron
- plays synchron
- has turn / game timers
- usable on all systems

When the time has come and all major systems support WebSocket, then we will add a full synchron network mode (logical and technically) too.

@monkymeet
Sorry for that. It was a bug that happend during the event refactoring. Fixed in the code base. So expect working state of the action in 0.3.6. Anyway the action was created to allow more flexibility in team based game rounds. It should give a touch of diplomacy. At the moment these actions are under review, because they can be tested when the network mode exists.

@Narts
To extend the post of JSRulez. The problem is that Apple has much problems with his Mobile Safari on iOS7. If you have iOS7 then you experience this problem. We didn't saw it during the development because our test devices was already allowed to store more than 50MB in the iOS6 phase. Anyway we know a workaround and think about a way to implement it in the next Version ( or hopefully Apple starts moving it's ass to fix that bug :evil: ).

@x0_000 and @monkymeet
It's canvas related and will be fixed. I wonder why Firefox is the only browser that cannot drop draw calls on the canvas which are out of bounds ( like all other browsers ). On chrome it's not reproducable. Which version do you used for that test?

@Gipface
Does JSRulez gave you our damage chart. At the moment it was the only one we found. Any help would be nice to find the correct damage calculation formular.

@system not supported
This will be thrown on browser systems where the support is unknown. Of course this could be misunderstood, but this message does not mean it cannot run on your browser. It simply means we don't know it at the moment.

@0.3.6
At least some words to the version 0.3.6 ( hopefully JSRulez don't kill me for that :lol: ). Our main target in the minor releases until 0.4 are bug/feature fixes and UI improvements. The 0.3.6 version adds a new responsive design. This should allow to play the game on smartphones too. Furthermore we addressed some whishes to modify the game round configuration ( like disable fog ). Numerous ergonomic fixes like sub menus to re-map controls or confirm screen for wipeout data. Furthermore the CO mechanic is on the radar to be fixed.


Thanks for reading

Greets BlackCat

User avatar
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Master of Fiction
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 am

And when will 0.3.6 be coming?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 am

That is a very good question, and one that is getting harder and harder to answer given our current situation. (If you want the direct answer, you can skip straight to the bottom of this message :) )

Enter the situation...

In case you guys are not aware, the entire community of AWBW is going to meet its end at the end of 2014. My group and I contacted amarriner about the site vanishing last week. This is pretty much what he had to say about AWBW's existence.

Image

Looks to me like AWBW is doomed to follow the same fate as AWN. This also means that AWN "Design Maps" and AWBW's "Huge Database of Maps" are going to vanish along with the respective sites.

The ideal of CWT...

Custom Wars Tactics has a single ideal, to create the best AW experience possible.

In order to make sure I fulfill that, I have to make sure that the group is not only striving to create the best game we can, but also that we are working to make sure the past work communities have done is being preserved. The maps are a very huge part of competitive Advance Wars, and I can't stress how important it is to make sure I'm preserving as much of them as I can. Combined with trying to get guides written that cover a lot of the rules of competitive play, and writing down all the documentation on how to create a good game. I am hoping to drive CWT into a very healthy learning environment for the new communities that emerge, and a very good game for everyone who plays it.

Pulling the mission together...

Recently, I went on a campaign with my group to save as many of the maps from the AWN Design Map Room and AWBW's Map database as I could. We have managed to save all the maps from the design room. However, in AWBW's case, they have completely used up all the server space in their server, causing their server to create faulty PHP pages. This makes obtaining the 100000 maps stored in the database almost impossible. Also, with AWBW dying, it leaves that community in a very rough spot and I have a few members of my group doing all they can to help them in this time.

Acquiring new help...

For all those who are wondering what happened to this project...

Minute Wars
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13434

Oz Ramos has joined CWT in this time of trouble to help get a Map Editor and Database prepared to store all the maps we are able to obtain. His passion to create Minute Wars still stands, but for the moment we both realize that maintaining community data is going to go a long way into making sure we have a healthy fan base. Currently, he has been doing a lot of research alongside the CWT team to make sure we are making the right decisions in terms of how to move along in the CWT project.

About the game...

Both BlackCat and I are also working on finalizing the networking and customizable aspect of CWT. We are doing a slight refactor of the engine (making it more efficient and streamlined), followed by a website overhaul, and a whole lot of bug fixes, changes, and surprise features. However, it also means that I have to monitor all of these respective projects, and make sure that everything is being coordinated. One of the biggest challenges I face currently is how to properly organize 20000 maps so you can search them easily without having to scroll down a large list...

TLDR: To answer your question...

If all goes well, I'm expecting that 0.3.6 will come somewhere around 2nd quarter (April - June) of 2014.

With the amount of unexpected news we've been having and the sheer amount of work we have to do in a short amount of time; I have to make sure that my group is able to handle the issues without stressing themselves out. As lead, I am telling all now that the dates I give are always tentative and are likely to change. Our real-life situations always take priority over the creation of this game. What I can stand by is that our group will be doing all possible to make sure the game update will land in-between or a little bit before the 2nd quarter.

Also, keep in mind that 0.3.6 is a bug fixing update, and it will not contain network.

Building the server and map database will take some time to do correctly, and we are actively listening to any ideas when it comes to statistics you may want to see on user profiles. I am currently debating connecting the maps created to the same profile as the game (ala AWBW), but this all depends on how much space we can afford to use up, and our capabilities as a team to add all intended features to the server.

End game...

As always, I will continue to strive for the highest quality game that we are able to produce. I am always actively listening to any suggestions and comments, and I do lurk for ideas. Keep vigilant, and always speak your minds. I promise when I get a more clear distinction on the exact date, I will let you guys know as soon as possible. :)

Thanks for your time,

JSRulz
CWT Team Lead

User avatar
Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Master of Fiction
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:10 pm

I applaud your efforts to conserve all that info.

We still have our faulty maps database if it helps.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:16 am

lol I guess this is dead

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:11 am

Well, not exactly. But, I guess with that great note I should go ahead and give you some kind of small update on the project.

The honest truth...

My team has always been a little bit more busy during the summer than the winter, but we've been at this for a while now and I'm fairly used to this cycle as a developer. Most of what we've been doing has been highlighted right on our main page and on our Facebook page religiously.

http://ctomni231.github.io/cwtactics/
https://www.facebook.com/customwarstactics

However, a quick run-down can't hurt...

Network

I'll be honest, building a good network that won't break my or my team bank book is going to take some time. We are looking into cheap solutions that can support NodeJS at the moment so we don't have to overhaul the entire project, again.

Artwork

I realized that in order for us to be taken seriously, a big part has to e focused in making sure we have a good art base. There is no way I want to start off this game with frank- en- sprites. If I want this to be taken seriously, it is by time I get off it and start drawing artwork myself.

Guides

I have still yet to get a 100% complete guide for any of these games AWDS, AW2, or AWDoR. A completed guide would mean I can finally host something worthwhile online so all of our hard work in these forums doesn't get put into dust. I really don't want to piece meal these guides together, but my choices are becoming more limited with time.

AI

Our AI (and game in general) has gone under massive improvements, we redid the entire AI to work under a behavioral engine (one that is easy to modify). The game should be a lot faster in terms of load time and an AI that will be better than the last one.

Release

Probably pushed back a little bit until the end of September. We will see. With all these changes, we will need another test group coming up very soon and I hope that people who are willing will PM me so I can get the information for when that'll be out there...

Conclusion

I'm lurking the forums, so if you wanna know then don't feel afraid to ask. A quick check on the home page to see what we are doing will definitely tell you if we are dead... hell, I will even write a blog post about it to make it official. But, not yet... I refuse to let that happen. When I get the pricing worked out, I'll come back to you guys about it. I literally want to see if I can get this to be a free experience...

Thanks for watching and lurking,

JSRulz
CWT Team Lead
Not dead yet...

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:48 am

JSRulz wrote: I have still yet to get a 100% complete guide for any of these games AWDS, AW2, or AWDoR. A completed guide would mean I can finally host something worthwhile online so all of our hard work in these forums doesn't get put into dust. I really don't want to piece meal these guides together, but my choices are becoming more limited with time.
I still have my AW4 WIP guide kickin' around, but I stopped because the guide would be preaching to thin air. Literally no one cares about AW4 enough for me to spend more time writing it. I could finish it for CWT but honestly there's no guarantee that CWT will ever finish.

The AW3 guide wouldn't have much since there was very little competitive play for it. However, Sven and I spearheaded a bit of competitive AW3 play a few years ago. I still remember much of the discoveries, such as how the faster COP charge rate and the prevalence of the black bomb doomed Grit as the worst CO. I could write an article on that, but a AW3 unit guide would be more of a compare-and-contrast against AW4.

AWBW on the other hand was a bastardization of AW2 and much of the knowledge there could be applied for AW2. But I can't in good faith support an inferior version of the game. AW2/AWBW is basically AW3 with a COP meter that charges at less than half the rate, along with no black bombs. And those two differences make AW2/AWBW way too defensive.

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:44 pm

Well, if it is one thing I can hand to you Gipface, you are an honest man.

The only point of reference that you have is a decree that something is going to be done, and I know that isn't much to go on. However, I take on these types of risks as well. It is a hard fact that people can't be trusted. However, I can't sit around and have that thought of unreliability destroy what I set out to do.

In a lot of ways, I'm actually facing the same dilemmas you are facing when it comes to finishing the guides. Many say that AWBW is already solid, and a new game like this isn't needed. Many say that this whole idea of playing this anywhere is retarded, and we have this ability already. Many say it is not worth it to finish this, because you'll be working on it forever for no credit. However, when you've done at least 75% of the work, does it make any sense to just give in?

No..

The only way that regret is solid, is when one works hard at something and turns their back. As long as we don't turn away, work will get done. Honestly, the fact that you posted makes me even more certain that your guides will be finished, and CWT will get completed. Why? Because, we didn't give up on the fact that this could exist. I am not asking for non-coders to code; I am not asking for a paycheck. All I'm asking is for people to keep watching this space and have a little faith. The more people believe this will happen, the closer we get to completing this monumental task.

JSRulz
CWT Team Lead

User avatar
Narts
Rank: sexually identify as an assault rifle

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:35 pm

This isn't really the time to be worrying about guides.

What you need is a game that can be played, plain and simple.

Can CW:T, in its present form, be played?

If not, nobody cares. Get working on it.

If you're having difficulties with network code, I did some experimentation a little while back using Unity and discovered that it was actually super easy to set up a turn-based game that can be played live online. You just basically tell Unity which methods are to be synchronised and the engine takes care of the low-level stuff. There's literally no costs either since you can use Unity's own master server for match-making and the clients can then just communicate with each other.

If your codebase isn't completely awful it shouldn't be too difficult to port CW:T over to Unity script.

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Narts wrote:This isn't really the time to be worrying about guides. What you need is a game that can be played, plain and simple. Can CW:T, in its present form, be played? If not, nobody cares. Get working on it.
100% this. As stated half a year ago, I'd care more about the interface than anything. That's what gets the most exposure, so if the interface isn't good, no one will use it. CWT 0.35 right now is about as playable as Cheetahmen.

User avatar
MysteriousLad
Rank: Mysterious God
Location: At the edge of sanity

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:08 am

I can't help myself anymore, what is Custom Wars?!?
I've seen it mentioned and referred to a few times in a "oh dear, why #lol" kind of way.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by HPD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:32 am

MysteriousLad wrote:I can't help myself anymore, what is Custom Wars?!?
I've seen it mentioned and referred to a few times in a "oh dear, why #lol" kind of way.
it is the one thing that made people both extremely proud and deeply ashamed of themselves
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
QQQQQQQ7777777
Rank: Ultimate Lifeform

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:39 pm

MysteriousLad wrote:I can't help myself anymore, what is Custom Wars?!?
I've seen it mentioned and referred to a few times in a "oh dear, why #lol" kind of way.
You clearly didn't read through all 10,000+ threads on the site.
"We are all equally real and unreal."

User avatar
monkymeet
Rank: Bitch
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by monkymeet » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:25 am

Hey JSRulz. I'm learning coding and want to start contributing to projects. How should I begin understanding the project? I'm just starting a javascript course on codeacademy though I usually do Python for my mini-projects. I can't promise any actual help, but I would be interested in trying!
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

User avatar
JSRulz

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by JSRulz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 am

I'll be obliged to answer your inquiry monkymeet, but first...

Wait... are you serious?

So, what you are trying to say is that timely releases actually trumps a quality game. I can't... believe... that. I was a intermediate competitive gamer before I actually got this deep into development, and let me say, nothing got me more angry than a patch or update that didn't keep the player in mind. There is a small secret that many developers don't tell you. Making a bunch of small updates actually degrades quality over time. It is much like trying to write an essay by erasing random sentences in the middle, and trying to cram better sentences in-between.

Honestly, there is a lot of options out there for AW competitive gaming like AWBW, Commander Wars, Space Cows, etc. They set out for a release and expected people to fill into the ranks. However, what was agreed upon is that something is missing from those games that doesn't make it appeal to the masses. Honestly, it is because no one took the time to make it a quality production, everyone was more focused on just "getting it out". So all the little things get lost in the flurry, and due to the essay problem above, the game becomes a beast no one can tame.

I hope that isn't what you want...

Honestly, I wish I was the one to actually spur this conversation, I really do, to give this argument some merit. However, I think that "lol I guess this is dead" is another way of saying, "Hey, any updates on this project?" I really meant to only give the community forum updates when something substantial is done to prevent clutter in these threads (which happens to almost all online projects with threads). Other than that, I made sure to have a blog that we update to keep all that small development stuff no one cares about "out of the forums". The only reason I replied was to show that I am constantly lurking, and to make a constructive answer towards why this project takes so long.

So, why the guides?

The fact is, I, as in myself, want the guides to all these games. I am using a competitive guide to make all major decisions about how CWT's interface will look. For example, Gipface's guide already showed me that OHKO's and unit strategies matter. So, in the game, I put a much bigger focus into allowing users to zoom in and out easily so that can get a full field of view and know about the battlefield at a glance. CO's dossiers will probably be 1 page short and sweet rundowns in- game to save on time, since the guides have them that way.

I want to design a game with the competitive gamer in mind, because let's face it, No one makes a more efficient game than a competitive gamer. Those guides will not only craft all the aesthetic decisions of the game, but also help new people understand the roots of this game as a whole. I want CWT to scream competitive gaming from the menus to the game play. I care about the guides because I want a quality game that can compete with the other options. I want to design a game that I want to play, despite all the other options out there. I am difficult to please, because I won't settle for a garbage experience.

So how to help this get there...

I absolutely appreciate your suggestions, so let me do you a favor and answer them...

@Narts:

Unity is built primarily using C#, which is similar to Java. In order to run JS applications, they are using WebGL. This framework slows down based on device... Ok... in English. In other words, Unity is much better for desktop than mobile. They have very good support for Apple, but not as good for Android and I can't use it as an option until that changes. I have them on my radar, and I might migrate and port the moment their support improves.

@monkymeet:

Honestly, I split this project into pieces to make it easier to contribute to the project as a whole. Custom Wars Tactics is really a collection of smaller projects all combined to make one large project. A bit like Legos, we just take the pieces that fit what we need to accomplish a task and attach them to the project. Thanks for your interest, and I'll give you more information via PM about this project if you want to help.

I guess TL:DR

I know that people want a playable game. However, I'd be damned if I sacrifice quality for the fact of getting things out. The hardest part of any project is being honest with what you've set out to do. I set out to make a quality experience and not to rip people off. I apologize if I will not settle for another skin of AWBW, Commander Wars, Custom Wars Beta, or any other project that already exists. The game isn't going to build itself, so please, let us ALL get to work to make this happen...

JSRulz
CWT Team Lead

User avatar
Narts
Rank: sexually identify as an assault rifle

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Hey I'm not calling for a fully finished game to be shat out right now, but whether or not you're planning to make lots of small public releases or not you've got to accept that game development is a gradual, iterative process, not something where you first craft all the pieces in perfect, immaculate detail and then throw them together to create a finished game.

What is particularly important early in a project is to get that playable prototype done quick and dirty so that the game can actually be tested and that you can start building the meat around the bones, or adding the furniture into the house so to speak. The prototype is probably the biggest singular leap on the way from conception to the end of a project, after that it's all iteration in small gradual steps.

Since WWN and the AW community in general is tiny you might as well make it a public release, but if you somehow worry about the public's perception (what public's?) of your game getting sullied by an "unfinished" release it can be a limited, internal release to a closed, select group of testers, but you really should have a playable prototype by this point, with functioning netplay if netplay is going to be a major feature of the game (and I assume it is, if the game is meant to be for the "competitive" player)

Things like UI and quality are polish, they're something you add last, not something you excessively worry about in the start of a project when you don't even have the machinery working.

One of the reasons I've been reluctant to help with the graphical side of this project is that you still haven't proven you can piece together a basic game. Getting a proto done is not something that should take an excessive amount of time, especially when you supposedly have more than one programmer working on it.

User avatar
MysteriousLad
Rank: Mysterious God
Location: At the edge of sanity

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:16 am

I had a look and tried to run 0.3.5 on my Ipod 4 and is was buggy as heck. Often the screen-resolution was incorrect and random crashes. Looks cool otherwise.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

GipFace
Rank: Lord of Children Games

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by GipFace » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:49 pm

100% agree with Narts. Despite everything, the game is still not yet in a playable state. What I mean by "playable" is something I'd call an alpha you can be proud of, something you can show people who have never heard of Advance Wars.

something is missing from those (other AW clone) games that doesn't make it appeal to the masses. Honestly, it is because no one took the time to make it a quality production
That's because the interface is crap. Highest focus must be on visuals and a clean interface. I shouldn't require more than 3 clicks to execute any command.

You also shouldn't need me to complete a strategy bible to motivate you into making this game.

User avatar
Heroic Spyro
Rank: Legendary Purple Dragon
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Heroic Spyro » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:26 pm

JSRulz wrote:I'll be obliged to answer your inquiry monkymeet, but first...

Wait... are you serious?

So, what you are trying to say is that timely releases actually trumps a quality game. I can't... believe... that. I was a intermediate competitive gamer before I actually got this deep into development, and let me say, nothing got me more angry than a patch or update that didn't keep the player in mind. There is a small secret that many developers don't tell you. Making a bunch of small updates actually degrades quality over time. It is much like trying to write an essay by erasing random sentences in the middle, and trying to cram better sentences in-between.

Honestly, there is a lot of options out there for AW competitive gaming like AWBW, Commander Wars, Space Cows, etc. They set out for a release and expected people to fill into the ranks. However, what was agreed upon is that something is missing from those games that doesn't make it appeal to the masses. Honestly, it is because no one took the time to make it a quality production, everyone was more focused on just "getting it out". So all the little things get lost in the flurry, and due to the essay problem above, the game becomes a beast no one can tame.

I hope that isn't what you want...

Honestly, I wish I was the one to actually spur this conversation, I really do, to give this argument some merit. However, I think that "lol I guess this is dead" is another way of saying, "Hey, any updates on this project?" I really meant to only give the community forum updates when something substantial is done to prevent clutter in these threads (which happens to almost all online projects with threads). Other than that, I made sure to have a blog that we update to keep all that small development stuff no one cares about "out of the forums". The only reason I replied was to show that I am constantly lurking, and to make a constructive answer towards why this project takes so long.

So, why the guides?

The fact is, I, as in myself, want the guides to all these games. I am using a competitive guide to make all major decisions about how CWT's interface will look. For example, Gipface's guide already showed me that OHKO's and unit strategies matter. So, in the game, I put a much bigger focus into allowing users to zoom in and out easily so that can get a full field of view and know about the battlefield at a glance. CO's dossiers will probably be 1 page short and sweet rundowns in- game to save on time, since the guides have them that way.

I want to design a game with the competitive gamer in mind, because let's face it, No one makes a more efficient game than a competitive gamer. Those guides will not only craft all the aesthetic decisions of the game, but also help new people understand the roots of this game as a whole. I want CWT to scream competitive gaming from the menus to the game play. I care about the guides because I want a quality game that can compete with the other options. I want to design a game that I want to play, despite all the other options out there. I am difficult to please, because I won't settle for a garbage experience.

So how to help this get there...

I absolutely appreciate your suggestions, so let me do you a favor and answer them...

@Narts:

Unity is built primarily using C#, which is similar to Java. In order to run JS applications, they are using WebGL. This framework slows down based on device... Ok... in English. In other words, Unity is much better for desktop than mobile. They have very good support for Apple, but not as good for Android and I can't use it as an option until that changes. I have them on my radar, and I might migrate and port the moment their support improves.

@monkymeet:

Honestly, I split this project into pieces to make it easier to contribute to the project as a whole. Custom Wars Tactics is really a collection of smaller projects all combined to make one large project. A bit like Legos, we just take the pieces that fit what we need to accomplish a task and attach them to the project. Thanks for your interest, and I'll give you more information via PM about this project if you want to help.

I guess TL:DR

I know that people want a playable game. However, I'd be damned if I sacrifice quality for the fact of getting things out. The hardest part of any project is being honest with what you've set out to do. I set out to make a quality experience and not to rip people off. I apologize if I will not settle for another skin of AWBW, Commander Wars, Custom Wars Beta, or any other project that already exists. The game isn't going to build itself, so please, let us ALL get to work to make this happen...

JSRulz
CWT Team Lead
I also agree with JSRulz says. Quality is the most important not timely releases. I should know that cause I was a very competitive gamer. I still play competitive games like Halo. It's those types of games that rule now of days. A bunch of small updates will degrade the game. I play another game called Istaria and they take player suggestions and make adjustments or adds stuff and patch and sometimes it takes weeks, months or even years. It's not a competitive game but a MMRPG but the concept still applies to no matter what type of game you are doing. It is important to focus on the project and just not focus on getting it out because you need to give a project a heart and soul and a catch to appeal to people like new tricks or gimmicks and a good story line. Yes, JSRulz is right about the other games failing. JSRulz is also right the best person who make a very good game is a competitive gamer cause they have experience playing and have good idea what the community might want.

I know how Commander Wars failed because I was apart of it and when Robosturm abandoned it because he didn't care about the community. He only cared what he wanted and what is worse he even put all the code in German. He designed it mess cause he didn't make it flow I know how he built it basically the interface was crap. It was all meshed together in one mess it needed to be in parts that could be put together like JSRulz mentioned like legos, but also Narts is right it is also a gradual, iterative process it is actually both working hand in hand, you cannot do one with out the other. Commander Wars had so many bugs and problems and crash problems that made it a garbage experience. That type of experience is pretty bad and makes people not want to play it and I seen some of the other projects not just limited to necessary Advance Wars projects but other types of games projects and they are very bad because it lacked some of the stuff JSRulz had mentioned.

Also, you people whine and moan when the it be released or the next update epically you GipFace. You are always are so negative and when its not released timely you complain its dead like you did on the Commander Wars form page. As I mentioned above projects take time, GipFace. Never the less GipFace, you are also right it does need to be a clean interface and flowing and the appearance is important, but the internal design and quality is actually more important. Furthermore, a project should be a team effort not individuals doing there own things and meshing it together. Each one works with the other as a well oiled machine.

In my experience a useful tool I found is a program called Skype which is good for group chats and even setting up meetings to come up with ideas or even work on a project. You can even send files to each other really fast directly to each other's computer. That is much better then just email or forms which has a limit on space.

Furthermore, it does need to be playable and runnable like Narts and GipFace said. It needs to be working for people to play it. Having people beta test is the best thing to do to fix bugs or mistakes. Some people do it privately and others publically but that is preference. Testing and making sure its playable is very important to a success of a project.

Finally, if you really want to help make this project work and come out faster. Instead of sitting on sidelines and be hesitant on helping and complaining about the project instead join the project and make a difference instead of doing nothing at all.

User avatar
Narts
Rank: sexually identify as an assault rifle

Re: Custom Wars Tactics (Open Beta)

Post by Narts » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:21 pm

Wait, let me think

Nope. I'd rather work on my own projects

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest