Advance Wars Clone - C# Monogame

Discussion of complete and in-progress major AW Hacks or Projects - challenge hacks, War Room map packs, Online Advance Wars sims.

Moderator: Terragent

salvadorc17

Advance Wars Clone - C# Monogame

Post by salvadorc17 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:24 am

Hi, im starting a project about recreate Advance Wars in C# using Monogame library, for now i have basic engine for movement, capture and attack enemies, check for this image. Please note im using custom sprites for sharing purposes, so there are no license restrictions.

Last edited by salvadorc17 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Advance Wars in C# Monogame

Post by Xenesis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Cool!

What's the aim of the project? Is it to learn C# and to develop a game client? Or are you trying to produce an AW clone engine to play?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:25 am

super cool!
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:06 am

Xenesis wrote:Cool!

What's the aim of the project? Is it to learn C# and to develop a game client? Or are you trying to produce an AW clone engine to play?
I could say booth, i want to lear C# better as possible, and also i want to produce a clone engine with new featurues, but having it open source with general public license, i will not able to use stuff from the original..

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:48 am

Oooh nice - there's some fun stuff in C#, and there's some fun stuff in AW - Nice project, good luck.
i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:39 am

Sniffit II wrote:Oooh nice - there's some fun stuff in C#, and there's some fun stuff in AW - Nice project, good luck.
Bad in the saddle with this, still need to decide with graphics to use, default or this customs.

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:32 am

More news for this project, now i have added some extra units like tank, artillery, bazooka, and the ability to build units.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:46 am

Maybe just use the game graphics for now? And you can change it later.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

salvadorc17

Post by salvadorc17 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:28 am

Linkman wrote:Maybe just use the game graphics for now? And you can change it later.
I could, but there will be missing stuff like animations or extra sprites, and that will be not useful...

ThunderWalker

Re: Advance Wars Clone - C# Monogame

Post by ThunderWalker » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:12 am

It's hard to tell something about the actual project though. I have no gameplay footage, one way or another, so we have seen almost nothing of the game except a pair of screenshots... which show negatively distracting artwork that makes me cringe.
It's not as bad as it may seem though, because I doubt making good artwork is your intention; you specificially mentioned learning C# is a thing, and your screenshots obviously don't really show what you have learned. Which is pretty meh but can't really be helped for now.

For as long as you keep your project unaccessable to other persons you are free to use the vanilla artwork, btw. Custom artwork is nice but only if it's of at least half-decent quality.

That being said, I wish you good luck with your project. Learning is always nice, and coding always pissed me off to hell and back. So I'll just hope you'll become a better coder than I am. You probably already are, but that's beside the point :P
My sig is a void.

salvadorc17

Re: Advance Wars Clone - C# Monogame

Post by salvadorc17 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:36 am

Yes, youre right, will consider about it, right now im more focused on completing engine..