Advance Wars Net is dead (Again!)

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Advance Wars Net is dead

Post by Linkman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:17 am

It took me like a week but I went to AWN to check, and at least the site is still up. Just the forums died.

So someone still cares enough to pay the yearly server fee.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

JSRulz

Post by JSRulz » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:51 am

Well, it isn't that easy. The original owner (?) of the forum and map Design Room did not pass the torch to the other administrators who are in charge of it now. Basically, they let the server go down and did not give the passwords necessary for the current admins to get the data out. Without the original administrator, there is nothing the people at AWN can do about the forums or the map design room.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:22 am

Couldn't you make a new forum and just pick up from there? It's sad to lose all the data, yes, but at least your community would go on.

An AW game will eventually be released.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

JSRulz

Post by JSRulz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 am

Well, that is something I'd have to leave up to Toastdieb and TheSleepingLeg, the current leads of AWN. The only forums I currently have a stake in is the original Custom Wars Forums and the main website itself.

I do have a partial stake in preserving the history of Advance Wars mostly because if IS does decide to make another game, there will be nothing in the community to fall back on. The amount of custom campaigns, game modifications, and competitive research done on all of these sites has been so beneficial for why the forums have lasted as long as they did.

According to the leads in AWN at the moment, all people interested in AW has flocked over here. The traffic looks reasonably the same so maybe they are all lurking, who knows. All I can say is that the reality is, we have to make sure we save the important information so people in the future who are interested in Advance Wars can have the research data needed to "get into the game."

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:56 am

As a side note: holy cow my account still works on that forum.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 pm

I think it just sort of sucks to lose 'history,' yeah. Especially for a community that's always been pretty niche.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:15 am

CW is hilarious to read up on again.

jesus christ what was all that about
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:57 am

Effing Custom Wars
Your political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 pm

it was a great creative outlet for excited kids

for all the messiness and incompetence it could have been quite cool regardless

Serenity

Post by Serenity » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Sad to see it go. I for one spent way too much time there eight years ago.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:12 pm

oh wow interesting seeing you around. there's someone in some other forum with some altf4-related username that always reminds me of you

Serenity

Post by Serenity » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Blame Game wrote:oh wow interesting seeing you around. there's someone in some other forum with some altf4-related username that always reminds me of you
Yeah, I saw this post on reddit tonight and it led me down some nostalgic lanes.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:45 am

I dunno, I feel like this site has been powered by the social boards for a while, long after the heyday of AW ended, but at the same time, I know I'm barely around, and while we used to be at least somewhat active, posts are so few and far between compared to what they once were. I remember when I was really involved, but now I check in less than once a week. My life outside the internet has become so involved that it's hard to balance one more community, even one as quiet as this.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:44 am

While that's true, eventually we come back...

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:54 pm

all else fails, aw:ds will still have some kickin' rad music that comes up from time to time on my playlists
the dream

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:55 pm

incidentally i think "black hole dual strike" is the very first dubstep song
the dream

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:12 am

I don't even know what this place is all about anymore.

Who the hell are all you guys?
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 am

Your parents. And we're very disappointed in you.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:41 am

I just wanted you to notice me for once. :(
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

MrNude

Post by MrNude » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:18 pm

We will never forget those we have lost.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:47 pm

hey its that naked guy
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:21 am

He's hot.

MrNude

Post by MrNude » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Guest wrote:
Linkman wrote:He's hot.
Yeah I am
My log in attempts were unsuccessful.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 am

Good riddance.

To me the site died by July 2008. They had absolutely no AW4 information, and never updated their site even when the game was new. I don't care if you weren't as passionate about AW4 pvp as I was, but they didn't even try to put up any 1p or pvp coverage apart from a shoddily constructed ladder. I plugged them during the allgames tournament, and still they were content on sitting on their laurels from AW Dual Strike.

Then I poured 195 games into the ladder and ended with a record of 187-8, 1505 (+505) rating. Four other people broke 20, no one else broke 30.

To be honest, I actually enjoyed Juigi and FHQ and the rest. Brought some color into an otherwise boring community that never seemed to want to play the actual game.

Today however, it's apparent that no one cares anymore, even after I figured out how to play AW4 pvp via PC emulation, and how Xenesis added the timer to pvp. I had really hoped that both of those would inject some life into pvp, but it didn't. All I can say is that short of actually finishing my pvp guide (I didn't because no one actually played the game anymore), I gave it my all for this community and have no regrets. AW4 was fun, and it was amazingly balanced after everything was figured out, but its time has been up for a while. I only played about 20 pvp games in 2013 among 3 or 4 people.

JSRulz, if you want access to my pvp guide in progress and help me finish it to preserve AW pvp history, we could try to meet up and work together. Basically, you better catch me before I decide to leave, because most of my AW4 insight is still in my head and I've never made it public.

It's my hope that if there's ever an AW5, bombers are still a good unit. Bombers are my favorite unit, and it took 3 years of AW4 pvp evolution to accept them as a great pvp unit. And that's why it's my favorite AW game ever. Instead of pvp being 4 units plus leftovers, almost all the non-sea units had real tactical value. Damn shame people couldn't see AW4 for its excellent mechanical design it had and only looked down on it because it didn't have the colorful cast of the past.

Anyway, back to watching anime and playing 18+ Japanese games lolol~
Last edited by GipFace on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:09 am

'good riddance'

MrNude

Post by MrNude » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 am

GipFace wrote:Good riddance.

To me the site died by July 2008. They had absolutely no AW4 information, and never updated their site even when the game was new. I don't care if you weren't as passionate about AW4 pvp as I was, but they didn't even try to put up any 1p or pvp coverage apart from a shoddily constructed ladder. I plugged them during the allgames tournament, and still they were content on sitting on their laurels from AW Dual Strike.

Then I poured 195 games into the ladder and ended with a record of 187-8, 1505 (+505) rating. Four other people broke 20, no one else broke 30.

To be honest, I actually enjoyed Juigi and FHQ and the rest. Brought some color into an otherwise boring community that never seemed to want to play the actual game.

Today however, it's apparent that no one cares anymore, even after I figured out how to play AW4 pvp via PC emulation, and how Xenesis added the timer to pvp. I had really hoped that both of those would inject some life into pvp, but it didn't. All I can say is that short of actually finishing my pvp guide (I didn't because no one actually played the game anymore), I gave it my all for this community and have no regrets. AW4 was fun, and it was amazingly balanced it was after everything was figured out, but its time has been up for a while. I only played about 20 pvp games in 2013 among 3 or 4 people.

JSRulz, if you want access to my pvp guide in progress and help me finish it to preserve AW pvp history, we could try to meet up and work together. Basically, you better catch me before I decide to leave, because most of my AW4 insight is still in my head and I've never made it public.

It's my hope that if there's ever an AW5, bombers are still a good unit. Bombers are my favorite unit, and it took 3 years of AW4 pvp evolution to accept them as a great pvp unit. And that's why it's my favorite AW game ever. Instead of pvp being 4 units plus leftovers, almost all the non-sea units had real tactical value. Damn shame people couldn't see AW4 for its excellent mechanical design it had and only looked down on it because it didn't have the colorful cast of the past.

Anyway, back to watching anime and playing 18+ Japanese games lolol~
This is why you have no friends.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:29 am

:bh: :a: :s: :s: rank post :bh:

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:16 am

I have a wi-fi t-shirt and you don't.

Oh, and...

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

i'm not the biggest fan of gipface but that was pretty uncalled for, that was a relatively civil gip post actually

only thing he moaned about was that no one actually played aw4 which WAS a very real problem.

though for me at least, it wasn't the cast that was the problem- i actually thought the cast got a bit too big in aw2, and got stupidly big by awds, so i welcomed a smaller cast (what i didn't like was that a third of the cast was either significantly OP or UP, leaving only a few COs truly playable). my big problem was a lack of single player replay value. there were very few difficult campaign maps, and the trials weren't much better- i only remember the last four or so posing much of a challenge. as someone who was more interested in the game from a single player angle than a multiplayer angle (mostly because my ds was incompatible with my wireless router's type), that meant that there was very little reason to actually play the game after beating the campaign. i felt that DoR desperately needed a hard campaign, a war room, something to give me a challenge. i'm horrible at AW and found days of ruin to be too easy, so i assume many other people had the same problem.

i do think it had pretty stellar unit balance, i just wish it had more opportunities for me to experience that stellar balance.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Disagree about no replay value. AW4 was the first game where you could replay specific campaign maps instead of going through the campaign again. Besides AW1 AC, which is an exercise in itself, I have only beaten the non-AW4 campaigns once on both difficulties.

Also, while clearing maps was relatively easy, it's been proven getting the top score on every campaign/trial map in AW4 was much, much more difficult than getting 300 on every map in the previous games, unless you wanted to go through the AW3 War Room as Grimm. There are still some that are unsolved to this day. C20 Waylon Flies Again and C25 Lab Rats to name a few. Technically I've played the AW4 campaign more than any other just to get the top scores.

But yes, the AI couldn't take advantage of the CO zone because the AI just wasn't programmed for that.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:20 am

The problem with AW4 is that in their attempts to make a balanced game aftter AWDS, they made the game boring as hell. There wasn't enough difference between the COs, or at least not enough to warrant any big debate. Less stuff to mess around with, too.The fact that it was a reboot (it had to be, really) made it less interesting imo.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:28 pm

The fact that we had less of custom creations around AW4 was more a case of the community having largely outgrown the desire to create it and less a case of the game being more restrictive to do so. The more serious tone of the game probably didn't help, but I feel that the change in the game mechanics wasn't to blame.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Custom COs in DoR would have been rough, I think. Even if we had a booming community, I think there's just way less room for conceptual experimentation there

original AW engine probably has room for a good 4+ econ COs, all distinct and interesting and consistent with the traditions set by IS COs. In practice the system would need lots of tweaks for things to actually work out, but 'theoretically' there's no reason that Colin/Sasha/Hachi/Alexander wouldn't all play really differently and have a lot of different fun things to experiment with and so on.

I don't know how you could make more than one econ CO in DoR without huge overlap or without deviating from the spirit of the system though. I think that's definitely a weakness of DoR, though in practice the zone mechanic was pretty nice for diversifying competitive play.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:55 am

I honestly cannot remember much about DoR other than there was some sort of crappy twist in the middle of the campaign. That says a lot.

DoR was more graphically appealling, I suppose - it was quite a nice step-up from the lack of graphical progress that AWDS made, which I am convinced started development as a GBA game.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 am

i don't see that at all. game looks mad ugly by comparison heh

GipFace

Post by GipFace » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:29 am

daisy wrote:in their attempts to make (AW4) a balanced game aftter AWDS, they made the game boring as hell. There wasn't enough difference between the COs, or at least not enough to warrant any big debate.
This is a misconception that's oft-repated. I originally posted this response on GameFAQs, but I want to post it here and clear it up.

Anyone who claims the COs in AW4 have "less influence" hasn't played it enough. The reverse is true: most of the AW3 (Dual Strike) COs are bland, and you could get away with build orders that were out-of-element. Eagle didn't need air units to be good, and Drake certainly didn't need sea units to be good. Weaknesses were negligible for the most part. I would play Olaf exactly the same way I would play Hawke or Drake or Kindle. There are very few COs that demand a different build order. In fact, the only three non-economy COs that do demand it are Max, Sami, and Grit. The rest of the COs play out exactly the same.

In AW4, all the COs have unique build orders that only work for them. Waylon has b-copters and bombers that puts Eagle's air force to shame. Lin wants to tech up and win with brute force. Will wants to build extra mechs and use them alongside other direct-fire units. Weaknesses are more profound: 100/100 and 110/110 is a weakness in AW4. In addition, the AW4 CO boosts are generally greater than any boost in the old games that wasn't based on economy. Lin's 130/130 land units are going to slice through 100/100 units without much effort. That boost is greater than Max's boost. It's greater than Grimm's boost because terrain defense is weaker. If Lin's CO unit is spearheading a front, you either need to match it with your CO unit, or you need to retreat and fight elsewhere.

What separates AW4 from the others is that there is no catchup mechanic when you're behind. A skilled player can completely pummel a lesser player into submission and prevent the other player from ever invoking a CO power. The old games featured defensive charging, which is more noob-friendly. The noob may lose, but at least he gets the satisfaction of using a super CO power once or twice. Since most players are casual, they perceive AW4's more sound mechanics as less fun.

MrNude

Post by MrNude » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:29 pm

I liked all the customization in AWDS. There was a ton more to do post game. So much that I continued playing it even after AW4 came out. AW4 had significantly better animation but also less replay. In fact it had almost no replay unless you were into the competitive scene.

Then again I am a filthy casual when it comes to these games. But so are most people, so maybe that's why the series died.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:46 am

I noticed it... just a few weeks ago when looking for custom campaign updates but oh well, it isn't as much as it used to be since AWN lost its history. Today I decided to look around the corner here, and I saw this thread.

As it currently is, the only thing worth keeping from AWN is Totally Flaked, because TF is totally awesome.
Outside of that, well...

Otherwise there are points in which I agree with GipFace in that AWN had absolutely no AW4 database, which I found a bit odd.
My sig is a void.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm fairly casual, but I find myself playing awdor a lot more often for the reasons Gip mentioned. My tactics are poor and used to the AI,but I still like how most CO's end up having their own playstyle, and you need to 'get' them and the units to actuslly get wield it. Brenner's heal spam is somehow more fun then Andy's ever was. You're won't automatically eat a SCOP in return, and charging is just a lot more active and fun then the old value based charging. Defensive buffs, keeping units alive, charging up with that large zone of his, and then gain free healing to keep momentum and having ranked units around.. It just clicks. Andy can't really play in synch with his abillities without blowing his one units up to try and influence the charging, and even then the exact timing remains tricky.The unit balance being a whole less whacky then AWDS helps too.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:47 pm

GipFace wrote:I would play Olaf exactly the same way I would play Hawke or Drake or Kindle.
No. Just no. Almost convinced you were playing a different game to me.

Olaf and Drake are similar if there are no ports, I'll give you that.