Where the heck is our WORLD CUP TOPIC

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Where the heck is our WORLD CUP TOPIC

Post by Linkman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 am

BECAUSE IT IS... WORLD CUP BRAZIL 2014 DUDES!

Is everybody in? Everybody is in!

THE AUSSIES! THE BRITS! THE DUTCHIES! THE KANZERLANDERS! OBVIOUSLY BRAZIL BECAUSE THEY'RE HOSTS DIDN'T YOU KNOW!

Even the Americans made it!

Slightly more serious post later!

p.s. there is also protests!

"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Re: Where the heck is our WORLD CUP TOPIC

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:45 am

I'm not sure if I want to be rooting for the NL, or get another dose of schadenfraude like 2 years ago when when we lost 3 matches in a row of awesome stupid. Probably the latter, unless we unexpectedly do well. Hypocrite ftw.

Also on a slight more serious note,both in the olympics and the football championships there's a pattern going on paying absurd amount of money to build stadiums and such, and downright bribing to be a host. Russia gets next WC(lol winter olympics cost), and Quatar is a complete farce at this point(I didn't even know it existed when I happened to hear the announcement live). Part of my wants to see the whole house of cards crash, but since sports have such a massive following, that isn't going to happen soon. At least the Quatar bit is spelling out trouble for FIFA though.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:40 am

Linkman wrote:BECAUSE IT IS... WORLD CUP BRAZIL 2014 DUDES!

Is everybody in? Everybody is in!

THE AUSSIES! THE BRITS! THE DUTCHIES! THE KANZERLANDERS! OBVIOUSLY BRAZIL BECAUSE THEY'RE HOSTS DIDN'T YOU KNOW!
Everybody is in!

THE AUSSIES! THE BRITS! THE DUTCHIES!...
Everybody is in!

THE BRITS
*twitch* *twitch*

Hidden Text
I actually don't care about football and am anti-independence blah blah, but it's weird how one still has that chip on the shoulder anyway huh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:21 am

My fairest apologies! The English are in, not the Brits!

The scots, welsh, irish, northern irish, and most of the commonwealth is not in!

...I can't stop typing with exclamation points!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:43 am

I sure can't wait for Australia to get roundly kicked in the head with a thousand soccer balls, as everyone is expecting.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 pm

is it true the BRs are rounding up homeless people and tossing them out/shooting them

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Yeah Australia's in for a beating.

Last World Cup I was living with a football nut, nothing's gonna match the hype from that year.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Don't forget the part where the American team's coach flat-out said that the American team wasn't going to win!

Not that I'm the biggest fan of soccer football soccer, but welp.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:03 am

Not to be a blue meanie, but I think Klinsmann is right... there might be an upset win, though!

...actually I think Brazil's bought it out but never mind that!

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:41 pm

I find it difficult to care too much at this point, partially because of how intense the last premier league season was and I want that now, and partially because I'm just not a fan of Roy Hodgson (partially due to his rubbish time at Liverpool). England play boring football with maybe one good shot. We've a good side, but with him in charge I don't expect us to go anywhere.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Hollands getting all their players injured, Van Persie and Stroman for instance.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:32 pm

what are your predictions about how far the Dutch team will come ML?

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:09 pm

I saw parts of the opening match.. The referee was just plain silly this time with a few rulings. For a host nation, gaining a penalty by dramatic falling over nothing(aka willfull cheating), is rather pathetic. Yeah, not a huge football fan. Especially when cameras point you out the stupid live.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:54 am

@Drag
I think Holland only has a chance if they can get their act together and beat Spain tonight, if they loose but make it through the poul by beating Chile they will be beaten by Brazil in the knock-outs.

Wait, wait, wait.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:17 am

What. a. Goal.

Van Persie just got back into the swing of things.

edit: In the IRC if anyone wants to swingby and discuss football

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:18 am

5-1! Holland has beaten the beat team in the world! Now its time for the Aussies >:D

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:26 am

That was unexpected.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:37 am

So many just lost their betting money I guess.

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:42 am

Second half was brilliant, but on a more realistic note, Spain was better in the first half and we can thank van Persie for a brilliant goal that kept Netherlands in the game.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Spain was crappy both halves. The goal was a fake penalty.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Speaking of which, I heard Mexico was also a victim of a inept referee, It's quite odd FIFA won't consider making use of video arbitrage. Even on TV you have a easier time seeing what exactly happened. >_>

A opinion article in my paper called to boycot FIFA, especially how they handle world cup profits, while host countries pay several billions for the event. Is FIFA so corrupt it's beyond saving, and does international soccer need a clean slate?

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:28 pm

Dragonite wrote:Speaking of which, I heard Mexico was also a victim of a inept referee, It's quite odd FIFA won't consider making use of video arbitrage. Even on TV you have a easier time seeing what exactly happened. >_>

A opinion article in my paper called to boycot FIFA, especially how they handle world cup profits, while host countries pay several billions for the event. Is FIFA so corrupt it's beyond saving, and does international soccer need a clean slate?
The ref was fine in the Mexico game, it was the linesmen who were awful. And yes, something needs to be done about FIFA.

Edit: Will be in IRC for all games.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:48 am

Double post but
THANK YOU COSTA RICA.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:59 am

I missed Spain because of work but Costa Rica.

Niiiiiice.

It's been a bloody good world cup so far. Cynicism is leading me to think that this will be the first 0-0 draw. So we'll see.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:13 am

Yeah! You watching it, Shifty?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:04 am

AWWWW YEAH SUPER MARIO!

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:02 pm

I don't know enough about soccer, but I cheered for Germany in the Euro 2012.

Go Germany again?
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:33 am

Best commando roll of the World Cup goes to that Swiss guy.
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.
You look awesome. - Shift Breaker

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:48 am

The support for the catrachos (Honduras) is awesome

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:53 am

GET ON DA IRC YO

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:50 am

Honduras are playing like aggressive dicks

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:06 am

Goal-line technology is confusing, guys (if you're a BBC commentator, that is).
It took me a solid three minutes to fully comprehend your hair, Fallers. - Deoxy
Yes fal, you've got a good sense of style, you're clean shaven, and the cat on your head dares not move itself.

I swear, you two are the worst couple ever. You've somehow managed to PDA on the internet through text. - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:52 am

What happened? I thought it was clear (thumbs up for FIFA, for once)

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:21 am

I think the confusion came from the fact that at first it reported that it wasn't a goal then it reported that it was. Of course the commentators seem to forget about the passage of time and that things happen as time goes by like, say, the ball actually going into the net. Thus the confusion.

thefalman
Star CO
Star CO

Post by thefalman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:25 am

I can understand it might have been confusing for those in the stadium, perhaps, but to me it was clear that the technology was ruling on two separate incidents that happened within a few seconds. But the commentator on the BBC kinda immediately jumped on the goal-line tech as confusing/unreliable, because he's a doofus.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:58 pm

My commentator said they showed the tech-video in the stadium.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:33 pm

The Dutch commentary was equally confused. It's not just the BBC that are doofuses.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

McGuest

Post by McGuest » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:13 pm

I think I am nationally obligated to go USA USA USA

and now I'm gonna go back to grinding fusion fodder

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 am

HO-O-O-OOOOLY fudge AUSTRALIA IS BEATING NETHERLANDS

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:49 am

AUSSIES ARE MY KIND OF TEAM.
AGGRESSIVE.