Where the heck is our WORLD CUP TOPIC

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

Shift Breaker

Re: Where the heck is our WORLD CUP TOPIC

Post by Shift Breaker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 am

Gutted for Australia. At both games they've deserved at least a point.

And what a shot from Cahill. Potential goal of the tournament.

Imagine if Spain go out today.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:33 am

I've actually got the Spain/Chile game up on my third monitor at work because the Cup has actually been moderately exciting for background viewing.
Make good choices

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:06 am

Australia played well, but (for the umpteenth time this tournament) it wasn't a penalty.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:21 am

Shift Breaker wrote:Gutted for Australia. At both games they've deserved at least a point.

And what a shot from Cahill. Potential goal of the tournament.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:08 am

bye bye spain

it's been fun
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:13 am

In terms of match quality this WC is shaping up well. Tonights match was close for the Netherlands though. They got a nasty habit of becoming shoddy with defense should they lose their flow, but the second half made up for it.

And Spain... most unexpected.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:20 am

YO THE RED SOX WON WITH BACK TO BACK HOMERS

Also Spain lost and I don't know which of these sent my office into more of an uproar
Make good choices

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:13 am

Holy Spain.

Not that I follow soccer at all but wow
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Looks like the Dutchies won and are in the 8th final.
Looking forward to mex vs Croatia.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

McTool

Post by McTool » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:28 am

Today is going to be an interesting day for Kick A Ball Around

I'll continue to keep it up on a monitor
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:21 pm

FRANCE IS AWESOME

WHAT THE HECK ITALY

WAY TO GO COSTA RICA
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:26 pm

This tournament is proving to be above average. :P

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 am

ghana vs germany was such a great game.
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 am

2-0 both from subs! Holland is through to the 8th finals and will go against Croatia or Mexico depending on which one wins tonight.
Gosh, Robben can sprint and Memphis didn't do bad either.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

McTool

Post by McTool » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:37 am

What a day

What a goddamn day
Make good choices

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:15 am

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Nice win by the dutchies--Robben and Neymar players of the tournament so far!

Now the Brazucas will face the Spicy Reds and my feeble bipatriotism will shatter
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:31 am

So are you rooting for toothie or beardy?

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:44 am

Italian ancestry, gotta roll beards
Make good choices

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:52 am

Italy. Pirlo. For Banzo.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:54 am

pirlo is my hero

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 am

Marchisio sent out--gonna be a heck of an endgame!

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:40 am

CHEAT-ING BI-TER *clap clap clapclapclap*

Historically huge, since Spain and Italy both being out marks the first time the previous two World Cup champions have exited in the first stage

Immediately crumpets, because Suarez deserved just as much of a red card as Marchisio did, if not more (and boy did Marchisio deserve it)

Why do I suddenly care about soccer

What is America who am I
Make good choices

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 am

I'm pretty sure this is a hollow victory for Suarez 'cause he's not going to be on the field for one more minute this tournament.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:00 am

I rewatched the dutch commentary, the sheer unbelief was hillarious that he did it AGAIN.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:41 am

I'm still in the belief that he is a genuinely nice guy but his teeth are sentient and have an unrelenting thirst for blood.
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

McTool

Post by McTool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:58 am

(that doesn't explain the racism >_>)

And... Greece?
Make good choices

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:08 am

He was also the guy who blocked a would-be-goal with his hands four years ago(that incident is one of the reasons I'm kind of sour about football). Maybe he's a nice guy off the field, but on it he's a bit to pragmatic to be a good sport. And I'm being mild here.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:14 am

Racist teeth are a thing, you bigot.

>_>

But yeah, he's a fantastic footballer and was pretty much the main reason why Liverpool got to where they were last season but this must be the last straw. Should have sold him last week where Barcelona wanted a ton (£80m,from memory) as opposed to now where well...we'll see.

Moving on. Greece. Great game and while not the result I expected it was definitely the one that was deserved.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:19 am

Dragonite wrote:He was also the guy who blocked a would-be-goal with his hands four years ago(that incident is one of the reasons I'm kind of sour about football).
Everyone gets really bent out of shape about this but it was a brilliant move (they didn't score on the ensuing penalty). It was either have a guaranteed goal and lose, or eat a penalty, hope they blow it, and throw his (admittedly shoddy) reputation on the line. It paid off! People chastise him for it, but from a Win The Game perspective that's a goddamn solid decision.

He's a *horrible* human being, but I don't see that as unsportsmanlike so much as thinking outside the box.
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:35 am

I agree with McTool. The handball I have no qualms about--can you honestly say you wouldn't have done the same? He didn't protest the ref's decision, which was as harsh as the game allows: both the penalty and the red card.

The bite however is hilariously wrong.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:16 am

Linkman wrote:I agree with McTool. The handball I have no qualms about--can you honestly say you wouldn't have done the same? He didn't protest the ref's decision, which was as harsh as the game allows: both the penalty and the red card.
Bingo. If anything, the handball shows that he *is* one of the best soccer players alive today when it comes solely to the sport. That said, R. Kelly wrote one of the catchiest songs of all time in "Ignition (Remix)" and he is one of the most detestable human beings on the planet. Ditto for Roman Polanski and film, ditto for Orson Scott Card and books.

A lot of people are able to separate the artist from the art and enjoy the latter for what it is. It is extremely hard for me to do this, given the nature of the offenses these people usually commit.
Make good choices

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:33 am

I've seen a few interviews of Luisito and he doesn't strike as a bad bloke. If anything he's scum in the pitch, not out of it!

Being scum doesn't make you less talented though, just look at Maradona.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:17 am

Eh, I dicussed the handball with somebody else today, and I had quite the facebook hissyfit with Linkman about it as well. Note me saying I'm sour about football instead of just that incident. I can see why it's the most popular sport in the world, and this WC has been great entertainment. The defensive argument is that he acted on instinct, and that he took a calculated punishment for his block. I rather focus on that it's possible to get a advantage(turning a would-be-goal into a penalty under great pressure)by a act that goes against the rules. I kind of see that practically, the goal was lost(you have to introduce awarding goal points as punishment for that), but damn, I refuse to give him any respect for his so called ''sacrifice''. The fact that abuse of the rules(especially the melodrama to bait cards) is such a part of football culture just makes me a bit.. meh about it all.

I just have silly honour I guess, I distinctly remember causing my team's loss in a gym game because I acted like a good sport(something involving ball throwing, and at a given moment it was impossible for the opposing team to get the ball back, which I disliked, so I bounced the ball back). So yeah, I would not have blocked in his shoes, although reflexes are not fully in my control, I admit this. I'm not a sports guy in a broader context though. I'm not above pragmatism IRL, but with sports I just take high value in good sportsmanship. Inb4 lawful good.

edit: I don't intend to critize you guys for taking another stance on the subject. This kind of stuff is subjective, and my preferences just swing another way.

McTool

Post by McTool » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 am

No criticism taken! Discussion and argument are cornerstones of human conversation and the fact that we've gone eight posts now without name calling is probably a WWN record

whoops
Make good choices

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:59 am

Nah, I'm pretty sure that Suarez really is a genuinely nice guy, just outside of the playing field. He just can't control himself sometimes, which is admittedly a very bad characteristic of him, and that's what gets him his reputation.

To be honest, I've found Suarez amazing ever since his Ajax time, and the handsball save I think was a glorious moment in his career. Too bad one of his worst moments is at another WC, four years later.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:34 pm

ditto for Orson Scott Card and books
Nope, I ain't going there. I've not seen any art worth defending.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Suarez gets a nine-game suspension and four months banned from going near a football stadium.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 am

By this point we ought to suspend the world from bite related puns as well.