WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Stage)

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

Blame Game

Re: WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Sta

Post by Blame Game » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:42 am

https://soundcloud.com/thiediev/drizzy

i can't do accents but gimmicks are another story

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 am

Well, we have seven people who have submitted samples(including myself), and several more that have yet to be submitted. So if we assume the final number to be 8-10, and if we try to divide that between 27-32 characters(Depending on if you count the soldiers or not), that means that on average every VA would need to voice 3-4 characters.

So you are right, hawke, it largely depends on our resources. The more samples we get during the Alpha Phase, the more fruitful the Beta Phase, and eventually, the final product. Not to mention the potential for Blooper and Bonus videos!

Oh and Blame, that's a pretty good Drake take. Yar. Shiver me timbers. Now you have two characters under your belt!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:47 pm

why is anyone thinking about logistics when this literally just started. settle down and wait for interested parties to come forward, probz

a storm is coming
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Joey wrote:a storm is coming
That would be awesome!

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:47 pm

After hearing Kilty's Grimm/Sensei/Grit sample properly, I'm going to revise my statements. Grimm is absolutely perfect. Don't change him a bit. Reminds me of this guy. Sensei on the other hand, seems like he's bordering much too closely to Adder's bit. Grit's accent/drawl was good, but not really what fits with his body. If there was a guy similar to him, then I would be all for sticking that voice onto him.
Joey wrote:why is anyone thinking about logistics when this literally just started. settle down and wait for interested parties to come forward, probz

a storm is coming
Because that's what I do, Joey.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:54 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:After hearing Kilty's Grimm/Sensei/Grit sample properly, I'm going to revise my statements. Grimm is absolutely perfect. Don't change him a bit. Reminds me of this guy. Sensei on the other hand, seems like he's bordering much too closely to Adder's bit. Grit's accent/drawl was good, but not really what fits with his body. If there was a guy similar to him, then I would be all for sticking that voice onto him.
Joey wrote:why is anyone thinking about logistics when this literally just started. settle down and wait for interested parties to come forward, probz

a storm is coming
Because that's what I do, Joey.
Logistics are fun, especially when you're bored.

In light of kilty's attempt at grit, I decided to give him another go: Grit Samples

Anyway, I started typing scripts for AWDS. Here's the one for Mission 01;
Hidden Text
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AWDS Mission 01: Jake's Trial
VA Script By AzureTranquility
Based On A GamePlay Video By AzureTranquility
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intro;
Nell: Rachel, I want you to be careful. This
looks like it could be a tough battle.

Rachel: Don't you worry about me, Sis. You've got
your hands full over in Macro Land.

Rachel: We may not have a big presence here in
Omega Land, but we're not alone.

Rachel: With all four of the Allied Nations working
together, Black Hole's no match for us!

Nell: I'm glad to hear that. Still, I've sent a
few of our COs over to give you a hand.

Nell: Just hang in there until they can arrive,
and don't do anything rash, OK?

Rachel: I've got it, Sis! My Omega Land COs can
take anything Black Hole dishes out.

Nell: Hah! I know, I know. And with you in
the field, I got nothing to worry about.

Nell: I don't think I'll be able to join you, though.

Nell: That means you're in charge of field
training any new COs, all right?

Rachel: Got it!

Nell: Good. That is all, soldier!

Nell: And by the way, don't call me "Sis,"
not when the other COs might hear.

Rachel: Oh, yeah. That might get them
wondering about your age!

Nell: Hey! That's not what I'm
saying at all!

Rachel: I have my orders, Commander Nell!
I'll take care of everything.

Rachel: Rachel, signing out!
...Click.

Jake: ...

Jake: So Commander Nell is your sister?

Rachel: Yep. We both enlisted about the
same time, but my big s--
(No pause)
Rachel: I mean, Commander Nell's smarter than me,
so she rose through the ranks fast.

Rachel: Luck had something to do with it, too.

Jake: Naw, you're razor sharp, Rachel.

Jake: I guess I haven't been much of anywhere,
but I haven't met anyone smarter.

Rachel: Ha! Take one step out of Omega Land,
(No pause)
Rachel: and you'll be tripping over COs with
way more skill than me!

Rachel: But listen, Jake, Omega Land is in
very real danger.

Rachel: And we can't count on getting backup
from Macro Land anytime soon.

Rachel: We can't even be sure where all of our
allied COs are now, either.

Rachel: You and me are the only ones left to
stop the enemy, Jake.

Jake: Sounds like our backs are up against
the wall.

Rachel: All in all, you're taking this
pretty well. You're not worried?

Jake: Naw. Well...yeah. Maybe a little.

Jake: But with you rollin' beside me, I know
it's all good.

Rachel: Don't even think I'm doing all the work.
You're going to have to pull your weight!

Rachel: It's time to start training. I'm warning you,
though, I'm not going to go easy on you.

Jake: What?! Oh, let me turn my music down.
Yeah, cool... I'm listening.
Battle;
=Day 1: Jake=
(Note: Avoid rocking out to Jake's Theme)

Rachel: The orange units on the map are
yours, Jake.

Rachel: The blue units are mine. They're on special
loan from Blue Moon's army.

Rachel: The real enemy is Black Hole, so their
units will be black. Don't forget!

Rachel: This moving triangle is the cursor. You'll
use it to give orders to your units.

Rachel: Tap one of your nits and issue an
order, Jake.

Jake: Cool. I'll give it a shot.

Rachel: That's a tank unit, a direct-combat unit
that must be next to an enemy to attack.

Rachel: Tanks have great speed and firepower,
so I'm sure you'll be using them often.

Rachel: When you select a unit, the area around
the unit changes color like this.

Rachel: You're looking at this unit's movement
range. Tap where you want to move to,
(No pause)
Rachel: then select either Attack or Wait to finish
moving. Tap Cancel to rescind the order.

Rachel: The unit you selected is a mech unit.
It's a direct-combat unit.

Rachel: The unit you selected is an infantry unit.
It's a direct-combat unit.

Rachel: You've started capturing, haven't you?
Check out the dark window in the corner.

Rachel: When you've given commands to all your
units, tap the menu button shown above.

=Day 2: Jake=

Rachel: We're on to day two. To win this exercise,
you need to defeat all of my units.

=Day 3: Jake=

Rachel: You beat me! Hmmm... Not bad!

Rachel: You may be young, but you've definitely
got what it takes to be a great CO.

Rachel: You were born for the battlefield.

Jake: Yeah, you think so? Sweet--that means
something coming from you, Rachel.

Rachel: You've got good instincts, and I'm going
to personally make you one of the best.

Rachel: There are going to be some tough times
ahead, so just stick with me.

Jake: You know I will!
Note that the scripts are based on the dialogue that shows up in my videos. If that patch thing ever goes through, we'll have to add-on the extra dialogue.

Also, I realize I'm slow to realize this, but I see that treed's Jess+Javier dialogue is from the final battle. It will be quite some time before I record that, but once I do Treed, I will definitely be doing a video. The world must see your performance!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Ok, so I wanted to record stuff today but I don't have the microphone yet. Have to wait a bit longer, I guess. I plan to do a good couple of voices and you guys tell me if it's any good or not.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:37 am

AT: you can find the script for AWDS on gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/924889-advan ... faqs/39218
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:56 am

Linkman wrote:AT: you can find the script for AWDS on gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/924889-advan ... faqs/39218
Yeah, I actually found that after I typed it up... that'll save me a'lot of trouble. I found one for AW2 as well. I'll just link to those in the topic.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:11 am

So, I've added a Soundcloud BBCode tag for so much convenience in this topic.

Edited a few things in the first post to show it off. Edit at your convenience I guess.

Also, a few random clips I recorded because I finally have that microphone. It's not very good, but ehh didn't put much effort into it:

Max and a little Jake:

Koal:

Kindle & Jugger (and me screwing up lol):

Hawke take 1:

Hawke take 2:

lol Colin:
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 am

Von Bolt will be easier to create than I thought. Cardboard tubes work wonders when you don't know how to do fancy editing.

And more for fun.
Cutting up Von Bolt's lines will be easy due to the numerous pauses he must take to speak. I tried to eliminate as much white noise as possible so that there won't be any weird noise breaks from the cutting.

P.S. This Soundcloud tag that HPD added is really useful.

P.P.S. Just made all of my tracks (two Juggers and two Von Bolts) downloadable.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:48 am

I'm doing some work today! Here is both Hawke and Adder. No more half-scenes from not doing others' lines.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:43 am

God.

This is why they usually hire professionals to do this

whatever this is

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:48 am

Narts wrote:God.

This is why they usually hire professionals to do this

whatever this is
i know right

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:01 am

Join us in our delusions of having good voices, Narts.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:43 am

Yes, please. We want more people to join us.

Man, that new soundcloud tag caught me off guard, but it is really a useful addition. Well done HPD. Didn't even notice you were a mod. I don't mind you editing my post, especially when it's something constructive like that.

I might record more samples, because I really want to nail Colin. It seems even HPD isn't sure what to do with him, but hawke mentioned something to me about the russian accents again, so I think I'll wait for someone to do russian Olaf before I give Colin another go. hawke has praised my Grit, so I think I can give that guy a break too. I think I'll be voicing those two once this hits Beta.

Once again hawke, your contributions are great. I'll try to edit the new stuff into the OP, and it might be time for a first post reboot in the near future.

Hawke forgot

Post by Hawke forgot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:03 am

I'll be giving Olaf a go as soon as everyone in my house leaves, since being Olaf almost requires you to yell half the time. It seems like all of the trouble is with trying to figure out how the voice Colin. Since it seems no one who is a regular here is of the younger variety, getting a little kid voice (and a Russian one at that) right is pretty difficult.

Also, to all the Brits out there, sorry if I melded three different accents into Adder. Americans are dumb and all that.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:17 am

Ok, this is wierd. I tried to edit the first post, but for some reason when I push preview or submit, my post gets blanked and as a result I get the "too few characters" error message. Might be a glitch with the soundcloud tag, HPD, I would check on that.

You are right about the youthful voice thing. I'd like to think my voice sounds pretty young considering my age(22), but somehow I don't think it's enough most of the time. I dunno why but I really liked the way I delivered that one line in Two-Week Test, the one mentioning preparations. Seems like I nailed the delivery considering Colin, well I assume, he's nervous most of the time. The actual voice is what still needs to be determined.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:33 am

Ditto. Even though I obviously added some of my own characters and icons.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:41 am

(Slightly) bad news. My friend may not be able to do the voice work due to her being away for almost a year in some weird boot camp/education facility thing. So if anyone else either wants to do or knows someone willing to do Lash (or any other girl character), go ahead.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:55 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:(Slightly) bad news. My friend may not be able to do the voice work due to her being away for almost a year in some weird boot camp/education facility thing. So if anyone else either wants to do or knows someone willing to do Lash (or any other girl character), go ahead.
vadernooooo.gif

I sent a message to monkymeet, but she hasen't responded yet.

Anyway, I managed to remove some of the clutter from the OP, but I can't edit in any new soundcloud tags, or alter the video links. It's wierd.

You know, all we need is a solid female VA, and we could theoretically start working on AWDS. Up until Mission 06, we should be good on VAs. All we'd to worry about are Jake, Rachel, Nell, Koal, Jugger, Lash, and Max. If you wanna cut that down even more, the first two missions only require Jake, Rachel, Nell, and Jugger, and at least three out of the four have good VAs already(Treed, Blame, and hawke). So all we'd need is a solid female VA. That, or we let Treed do the VA for Rachel for the first two missions(He delivers the lines so well, and I don't think the audience would mind much if there was a switch after only two episodes).

I dunno man, I just feel so tempted to start working on this proper! lol I gotta be patient though. The final product(s) is going to be awesome!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:10 am

I think we should hold a skype chat or something for some real-time auditions and such. Plus, sheer hilarity.

e: Soundcloud code is working fine for me. Are you guys sure you have updated flash plugins and whatnot?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:05 am

Pretty darn. Though I doubt it's an issue with Flash, since the site itself is telling us that we have too few characters in our posts.

Here's some Sturm.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:05 am

HPD wrote:I think we should hold a skype chat or something for some real-time auditions and such. Plus, sheer hilarity.

e: Soundcloud code is working fine for me. Are you guys sure you have updated flash plugins and whatnot?
Yeah, I mentioned this to hawke last night on SKype, but Linkman asked me about doing a collective riff. We wouldn't even need to do voice chat, we can record the samples in real-time and send it to everyone in the chat.

Problem is making sure there's a point in time where most of us are available.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:15 am

And given that most of the general members (I'm not sure about who is here specifically) lives in the UK and Australia, getting a good time would be difficult.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:32 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:And given that most of the general members (I'm not sure about who is here specifically) lives in the UK and Australia, getting a good time would be difficult.
Considering you and I were jabbering until almost 5 am est last night, I don't think it's a problem so long as it's before I fix my sleeping schedule again, which usually takes me less than a week. :p

Even then, not every time zone over in the eastern continent(s) will be active when we are asleep.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 am

I just did a thing. We'll see how it turns out.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:16 am

Interesting but... I've never heard of that forum before. Is it popular?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:28 am

2.9 million registered users. Remove the troll/permabanned accounts and alt accounts, and you're looking at about 1.5 million unique users, with 500k-750k regulars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 am

Somehow everything is far less exciting now.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 am

There has been a bit of a slow lately, but it's easily explained by everyone just being busy(Ex: Kilty dealing with moving). Once things clear up, there will probaly be more frequent surges of activity.

If somehow hawke's topic on that forum pans out, that might be another surge as well.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:51 am

It's just the members of my clan as well. Not like I'm recruiting all 500k of the members for it. And among the thirty members we have, there are only about fifteen active ones, and only two or three willing to actually try something here. Most of them have heard of AW as well, so it helps that they have some idea of what I'm asking.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 am

any girls?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:00 am

Three, if I'm not mistaken. Though that includes the one that is no longer here.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am

d'oh

Two female vas would be more than enough. If we somehow don't get any, I think me and Treed could handle them all. lol

But that would mean people would have to suffer my Lash...
hawkesnightmare wrote:Pretty darn. Though I doubt it's an issue with Flash, since the site itself is telling us that we have too few characters in our posts.

Here's some Sturm.
Good job picking his dialogue from the intro of AW2. I re-recorded that segment recently, so not only qill the video quality be better, but I don't skip the text as fast.
Last edited by AzureTranquility on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:56 am

Guys, I dunno if you realized this, but the whole reason this project gained traction on WWN is because it's hilarious for a tiny group of friends (like WWN) to make funny voices for a children's war game then listen to them.

Hawke dear, your enthusiasm's boundless, but you've effortlessly dodged the point. We don't need IRL friends getting tossed awkward game scripts, and we don't need calls for help on other forums with anonymous user bases. Just, like, let the project go where it will. That's what Joey meant.

Also omg, they're called 'women,' not girls.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Treedweller wrote:Also omg, they're called 'women,' not girls.
Debatable with Lash and Sonja.

Also, while I do realize my small error, I doubt anyone from my end of the internet will be willing to help. Collective laziness and disinterest reigns supreme.

I have subsequently explained away my misplaced enthusiasm and closed the relevant thread.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Leave it to Treed to be the beautiful voice of reason. :(

To cheer us up a bit, here's hawke's sturm sample matched to the intro of AW2, and I didn't have to use any BS pitch changing techniques!

Link: http://youtu.be/IQrI3FHFhEY

Kilty, if you could record the lines for the intro as well, we will have our first complete video, unless someone pops up wanting to be Sturm or Hawke.

Oh yeah, and my Sasha samples I sent hawke last night. At 4 am.

hawkesnightmare decided to give his take on AW2 Mission 24 as well! Let's have a watch/listen...

http://youtu.be/fB12e7jtxcw

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:44 pm

I would just like to confirm that Treed got very much exactly right what I meant.

WWN is a cute little corner. I'm all for ghosts of WWN past (I WOULD BE ALL FOR SHINKO TO VOICE SOMETHING (STURM??????)) and nonsense like that, but this should be a community endeavor, and I think we're making a bad mistake if we veer from that.

So yeah, friends from other forums, guilds, even IRL friends or identical twin brothers...somehow, their inclusion would ruin the charm of the project. I know I'm not the boss of the project, but even being like "I'm going to let my friend do one just 'cause" is off to me.

With that said, let's find Growshroom.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Juigi can come, too.

[youtube]OCiLxRCBf40[/youtube]